AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Old 2006-04-23, 19:34   Link #121
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

OK, perhaps I'm trying to be too "perfect", I apologize and will try to loosen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak Of Nature
I vote for 1, myself.

Which is why I find it rather annoying that what started out as fun for me has now been corrupted for me by Kinny getting his knickers in a twist over something that could have been settled with a few minutes of writing in my User:Talk in the wiki.
With due respect, I actually preserved most of your lines, while making corrections over some of the other lines. But I do apologize and should've made contact with you first.

Quote:
If he'd bothered to ask, he'd have learned that I politely asked TLG, at the start of the project, for Chapter 5. TLG okayed that, and I went on from there, translating at my own middling-slow pace from the Japanese original text. If anybody (TLG or Kinny) had bothered to inform me that Kinny apparently had the idea that he'd been promised volume 1, I'd have simply moved to another part of the project. I'm in it for the fun, not the territoriality. If Kinny had offered to discuss his version of Ch. 5, that would have been fine, too.
First, I didn't know about the "history" function till yesterday, so yes, I'm partly responsible and I apologize for not having a word with you. Second, long before this I asked TLG that was it OK for me to handle the whole of chapter 1, he said it was OK.

Quote:
As I've already told Kinny in his User:Talk page, if he wants Volume 1 so badly that he's willing to trample all over my existing translation without ever bothering to contact me, he can have it. I'll be an editor, then, and second-guess him, instead.
Killjoy.
Hey, you're not the only one who's upset about his "work" being trampled over, you know. As I said, I was under the impression that TLG has given me permission to do the whole of chapter 1. If you were me who was made that promise, I'm sure you would understand most. I must have been mistaken and I apologize for that assumption. I also apologize for not contacting you earlier due to my ignorance of the "history" function to find out who did what in the beginning.

Let us bury the hatchet and leave this behind us and work together next time.

BTW, as for the choice above, if you point a gun at my head, then I'd say 1. While 2 is way too extreme, I'm for finding a balance. It's not like I'm ridiculously far behind like some fansub groups doing some anime.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 19:41   Link #122
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
BTW, as for the choice above, if you point a gun at my head, then I'd say 1. While 2 is way too extreme, I'm for finding a balance. It's not like I'm ridiculously far behind like some fansub groups doing some anime.
An acceptable 3rd choice, yes ^^ I was just making the point that we should prioritise stress-free translation and getting decent first drafts out, instead of sweating to perfect one chapter's myriad of bumps, then moving on. 'Prioritise over' doesn't mean we 'throw away' the "we want to get the details right" aspect.
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 19:48   Link #123
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
An acceptable 3rd choice, yes ^^ I was just making the point that we should prioritise stress-free translation and getting decent first drafts out, instead of sweating to perfect one chapter's myriad of bumps, then moving on. 'Prioritise over' doesn't mean we 'throw away' the "we want to get the details right" aspect.
Agreed. It's not like I'm making a "perfect" translation anyway, but rather for consistency between the chapters. If I were making a "perfect" translation all on my own, it would take me a month to do one chapter. I leave the proofreading to the editors. I'm only concerned with the continuity of writing styles.

Old 2006-04-23, 19:51   Link #124
Onizuka-GTO
Shinobi Product Designer
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
well there we have it. we all agreed to agree on something .....agreeable....

anyway

Where is A.F.K of Haruhi 04? what ?its only been 15+ hrs since it's been aired?

Excuses! excuses!
Old 2006-04-23, 20:02   Link #125
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
OK, perhaps I'm trying to be too "perfect", I apologize and will try to loosen up.
Me too. As upset as I was, I never wanted this to turn into another pointless forum melodrama of I-said-you-said-ing.

Quote:
With due respect, I actually preserved most of your lines, while making corrections over some of the other lines. But I do apologize and should've made contact with you first.
Actually, I don't really mind people editing my work -- with or without advance notice. That's what wikis are for, and if the edits are qualified, then why mind? The whole point is to produce a translation that we can be proud of, and we all have to recognise that we're part of a group effort. That means accepting the "meddling" of others, however annoying, without assuming that we each have the patent on being right.

What upset me was that I perceived you as behaving territorially towards the entire volume, "squatting" so to speak.

Quote:
First, I didn't know about the "history" function till yesterday, so yes, I'm partly responsible and I apologize for not having a word with you. Second, long before this I asked TLG that was it OK for me to handle the whole of chapter 1, he said it was OK.
Ummm..... "Chapter 1"? If you really mean "chapter" and not "volume", then something is amiss. I'm assuming you mean "volume", since this situation wouldn't make sense, else. Also, based on what TLG has said elsewhere in this thread, he appears to have promised you vol. 1.

I asked TLG for chapter 5 and he assented, unaware of any agreement between you and him about volume 1 -- your agreement was not reflected anywhere in the pages of the Wiki at that time. Check his User:Talk page for my request, and my User:Talk page for his reply.

Quote:
Hey, you're not the only one who's upset about his "work" being trampled over, you know. As I said, I was under the impression that TLG has given me permission to do the whole of chapter 1. If you were me who was made that promise, I'm sure you would understand most. I must have been mistaken and I apologize for that assumption. I also apologize for not contacting you earlier due to my ignorance of the "history" function to find out who did what in the beginning.
Oh, believe me, I am quite aware of the fact that we're seeing mirror-images of the same unfortunate situation. I can empathise with your point of view, while still feeling annoyed on my own behalf.

Quote:
Let us bury the hatchet and leave this behind us and work together next time.
I hear you.

Say, I have a great idea: let's blame TLG for the mess.

Quote:
Ouch. Okay, so we never managed to get all episodes of Kamichu! out before it was licensed, but we did our best, given circumstances...
Occasional QC for other groups
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 20:40   Link #126
Onizuka-GTO
Shinobi Product Designer
*Scanlator

WHAT? You were on the kamichu project? it was licenced too? No wonder i can't find any more episodes past 8

i loved kamichu.

*has a thing for moe Goddess*

P.S: just saw your notice on the registration page.

Can you please check your talk page FoN.
Old 2006-04-24, 01:35   Link #127
AngelMercury

Send a message via AIM to AngelMercury
Just a couple things.

First off, thanks to everyone who's working on this project. I'm really enjoyng reading the novels so far and look forward to reading the rest as they come out.

I wanted to say I agree with... mmm I don't know who said it a few pages back. The number of line breaks in the dialogue makes reading it a bit confussing at times. And I feel like some of the formating may be awkward. I was wondering if it was something some of the editors might consider, or rather would you mind if someone were to take it upon themselves to alter some of it?

Also, it seems scans of the Japanese volumes are available for download (I won't say where as I don't know if that would be appropriate in this forum) so for anyone else looking to contribute to this project I think that could help any would be translators.

I would be willing to do so myself but my Japanese is limited and rusty so translation for me would be very slow. However I would be interested in working together with a Japanese speaker more as an editor/checker. Someone who'd like to discuss meanings and interpertations and all that fun stuff. If anyone would like to, great. However I can't really get started on something like this for a few weeks as my semester is coming to an end.
AngelMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 03:13   Link #128
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
WHAT? You were on the kamichu project? it was licenced too? No wonder i can't find any more episodes past 8

i loved kamichu.

*has a thing for moe Goddess*
I know you loved Kamichu! -- on one occasion, when I posted about our (iitran's) translation, you responded rather, ahem, lovingly...

Quote:
P.S: just saw your notice on the registration page.

Can you please check your talk page FoN.
Done, and replied to. Check it.

Oh, and by the way.... someone earlier mentioned that I was not a frequent poster in the AnimeSuki forums, and a virtual unknown. That is not true -- I used to be a frequent poster, and some of you may remember my now-lost posts in the Mahoraba thread -- but ever since the forum came up after being hacked last December, I've been a bit despondent over losing all those hundreds of posts to entropy, and I just haven't posted very much.
Occasional QC for other groups
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 05:52   Link #129
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMercury
I wanted to say I agree with... mmm I don't know who said it a few pages back. The number of line breaks in the dialogue makes reading it a bit confussing at times. And I feel like some of the formating may be awkward. I was wondering if it was something some of the editors might consider, or rather would you mind if someone were to take it upon themselves to alter some of it?
We're still in the process of hammering out a Format guideline and certainly not all the chapters are yet formatted to that guide yet. However, regarding the line breaks, after some thought I think the majority of them ought to remain if one treats a lot of the descriptions as Kyon's "dialogue/monologue" being inserted in as if he was replying in his mind (and sometimes for real) - i.e. a virtual dialogue, hence the need for line breaks whenever Kyon 'talks back or adds comments in his mind'. It's the author's style and First Person perspective, so I think it's best to keep it, even if admittedly that many line breaks doesn't look as good in English as in Japanese.

Feel free to add to the discussion on the Wiki's Format guideline talk page though - this topic's been a bit stagnant in discussion.
Old 2006-04-24, 06:38   Link #130
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
You know what, you're missing a type of people who can help out.
People who're skilled in both english and chinese and specilized in translation, and have access to the Chinese version, like me.
However I only have the first volume
Gonna need all the help you can , don't you? Can I help in any ways?
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 08:01   Link #131
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Me too. As upset as I was, I never wanted this to turn into another pointless forum melodrama of I-said-you-said-ing.

Actually, I don't really mind people editing my work -- with or without advance notice. That's what wikis are for, and if the edits are qualified, then why mind? The whole point is to produce a translation that we can be proud of, and we all have to recognise that we're part of a group effort. That means accepting the "meddling" of others, however annoying, without assuming that we each have the patent on being right.

What upset me was that I perceived you as behaving territorially towards the entire volume, "squatting" so to speak.
I never intended to "squat" the whole volume, since it was simply assumed that TLG had given me permission to do the initial translation for volume 1. But I will not make any excuses. If you thought I was being aggressive, then I apologize.

Quote:
Ummm..... "Chapter 1"? If you really mean "chapter" and not "volume", then something is amiss. I'm assuming you mean "volume", since this situation wouldn't make sense, else. Also, based on what TLG has said elsewhere in this thread, he appears to have promised you vol. 1.
Yes, I meant "volume". I wrote this in the morning before heading off to work.

Quote:
I asked TLG for chapter 5 and he assented, unaware of any agreement between you and him about volume 1 -- your agreement was not reflected anywhere in the pages of the Wiki at that time. Check his User:Talk page for my request, and my User:Talk page for his reply.
Our agreement was done over the ASuki PMs, since I was still unfamiliar with most of the wiki functions then. I errorneously thought he would have communicated with the rest about this since he was in charge of the wiki. Which leads to......

Quote:
Say, I have a great idea: let's blame TLG for the mess.
That I totally agree, it's his whole bloody fault for this confusion. DIE TLG!!!!

Old 2006-04-24, 08:54   Link #132
Adigard

Quote:
Oh, and by the way.... someone earlier mentioned that I was not a frequent poster in the AnimeSuki forums, and a virtual unknown.
This is probably a reply to my post of yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
a name I've never actually seen post in the AS Haruhi Novel Translation threads
So... not quite what you said ^^

I was just suggesting that I had never seen your name in this Novel Translation thread. Mostly in response to Kinny, because I wasn't sure you'd see his complaints about the Chapter 5 question. Which obviously isn't the case ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 09:15   Link #133
Onizuka-GTO
Shinobi Product Designer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
You know what, you're missing a type of people who can help out.
People who're skilled in both english and chinese and specilized in translation, and have access to the Chinese version, like me.
However I only have the first volume
Gonna need all the help you can , don't you? Can I help in any ways?
unfortunately all volume 01 chapters have been registered with a project translator.

But this does not stop you from coming over, and help us edit!

Registration is free! Make sure you read the Guideline page before any edits, to make sure you know the Do's & don't.

Thanks for all your contribution, in advance.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-24 at 13:05.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 13:00   Link #134
Thelastguardian

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-24, 13:07   Link #135
Onizuka-GTO
Shinobi Product Designer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Spoiler:

*plays a sad little violin for Melodramatic TLG*

Old 2006-04-24, 13:25   Link #136
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
unfortunately all volume 01 chapters have been registered with a project translator.

But this does not stop you from coming over, and help us edit!

Registration is free! Make sure you read the Guideline page before any edits, to make sure you know the Do's & don't.

Thanks for all your contribution, in advance.
Damn. Though I've just found some the rest as well. (So far I have access to Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, and the manga of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
I'm currently busy with my uni studies so I wont be able to work too much on it. 3 pages a day is all right with me though.
Where can I find the guideline pages anyways?
Old 2006-04-24, 13:27   Link #137
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
*plays a sad little violin for Melodramatic TLG*

Is it the same violin that played when Mikuru got kidnapped and locked in by Haruhi in ep 2?

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 13:58   Link #138
Onizuka-GTO
Shinobi Product Designer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Damn. Though I've just found some the rest as well. (So far I have access to Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, and the manga of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
I'm currently busy with my uni studies so I wont be able to work too much on it. 3 pages a day is all right with me though.
Where can I find the guideline pages anyways?
Guideline Page is here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...rmat_guideline

All contribution no matter how small is always welcome, and as we always needs more translators 3 pages a day is fantastic.

Please contact thelastguardian that you wish to be a translator, and he will add you to the list.

Then head on over to the Translators register page,

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...istration_Page

so you can see who is translating which chapters, so you can pick one you want to do.

Advance thanks for all your help

P.S:

Quote:
Is it the same violin that played when Mikuru got kidnapped and locked in by Haruhi in ep 2?
What violin? I was too busy laughing to play anything

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-24 at 15:00.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 14:35   Link #139
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

So many steps I have to do just to translate?
Well then...
I'll just hand over the translations up and you can take the credits :P
But before that lemme read through them once first ^^
Old 2006-04-24, 14:43   Link #140
Psieye
Lore Hunter

I see you're getting intimidated - when you break it down all you need to do is this:
> Read 2 lines in the Format page
> Pick an available chapter (read: Vol 1 is almost done and has been reserved - the rest are pretty much all open)
> Start translating

thelastguardian will notice you've expressed interest and when you follow up saying "yeah I'm working on this chapter", he'll add you to the Translators list.