AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 56 26.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 39.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 19.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 9.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.44%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-04-19, 00:04   Link #141
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Haruhi is the God Emperor of Anime. Her actions cannot be judged as those of mortal men, for she has knowledge of the Weirding Ways.

*offers melange up to the mahdi*
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 00:10   Link #142
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I can't think of a particular book I recommend, though my son is currently reading "The Portable Neitzche" by Kuff for high school at the moment.

You could probably google or wiki for some thumbnail descriptions. He had some interesting ideas but lets just say his ideas are easy to misuse.
Indeed, I clearly understand what grounds I'm about to step on. I promise to use the information wisely and not conquer all of your puny minds...er I mean not use it for global domination

Thanks Vexx and rooboy for the suggestions
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 00:39   Link #143
Kaoru Chujo
Komatsu Mikako

Having watched the raw a couple of times, I've now had the pleasure of watching a.f.k.'s sub, which just increased my enjoyment. OMG Haruhiiii!

But the thing that most struck me this time was the animation. The way the KyoAni staff get the rhythms of people's movements is just amazing. Like in the OP, where you see Haruhi's, um, waist as she strides across the screen. Just the rhythm of her walk says so much.

And especially toward the end of the pre-OP intro, where she rushes out into the hall to ask Kyon what else the club needs: the way she rushes out and then slows down, and her body sways in just the right way to emphasize her character. This is beyond excellent.
Komatsu Mikako 小松未可子 b88.11.11 (age 26). 2010: Heroman (Joey). 2011: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (Mizuki Kotori). 2012: Bodacious Space Pirates (Kato Marika), K (Neko). 2013: Sunday Without God (Ulla Hecmatika), Nagi no Asukara (Miuna). 2014: Soul Eater Not (Eternal Feather), Aldnoah Zero (Inko), Ao Haru Ride (Shuuko), Nisekoi (Seishirou). 2015: Junketsu no Maria (Priapos), Gangsta (Ginger), Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Hotaru), Ushio to Tora (Asako), Danchigai (Yayoi).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2015 anime previews - schedule
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium | Akagami no Shirayukihime | Aoharu x Kikanjuu | Charlotte | Dandelion | Gangsta | Gatchaman | GATE | Im@s Cinderella | Jitsu wa Watashi wa... | Non Non Biyori | Overlord | Rokka no Yuusha | Simoneta | Sore ga Seiyuu | Working!!!
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 00:47   Link #144
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Never mind the hilarious comedy and the near unsurpassed level of raw wit this show has shown in its first three episodes. The thing that's really impressing me is the directing. It's phenomenal.

This continues to be one of the most revolutionary things I've seen in anime for a very long time. Everything about it, from the atmosphere to animation to characters to comedy just seems to work in such a unique way. And the story is starting to become intriguing and mysterious as well. I just cannot remember the last time I've been so exciting about an anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 00:52   Link #145
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

My goodness. I go to sleep for a while and this thread has exploded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
^^ I'm glad this issue is understood. But meh...if a person wants to dislike Haruhi (or any other character) for any reason, like the poster who said he wished Kyon to punch Haruhi, its ok. I get a little uneasy when fans impose (I use this term lightly) their "fanboyism" upon an opinion that differs from theirs. If he wants to punch Haruhi for a certain deed she's done, let them be. It is especially weird when the reasoning is out of line in terms of justification. (this is the part where I feel especially uneasy as a poster).

While not specifically said by Haruhi herself, she does imply that attitude by saying "I have no interest in normal humans". "Are you an alien? If not, I wont talk to you". You can rephrase them to "I wont talk to you unless you are special enough to talk to".

...you get the idea.

I have no problems with Haruhism/fanboyism. They can infact provide some really interesting discussion and fun, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.
You're talking about me by any chance? That's what I felt at the moment and I don't really feel it now (the urge to punch Haruhi) but I'm beginning to think that the purpose of that passage which I felt questionable (and the passages that other people felt were questionable to them) were precisely there to make the reader question his liking of Haruhi. Haruhi has a superiority complex (the Nietzche (sp) reference is a good one) and is a morally ambivalent character. There's no way around that. That's what makes her standout as a character. Its her biggest draw and her biggest flaw. Anyone watching/reading SHnY will have to deal with her seeming amorality and react to it. While watching Haruhi's antics could make you laugh and it often does, you will have to question the inherent sadism present within yourself when you do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
Haruhi is the God Emperor of Anime. Her actions cannot be judged as those of mortal men, for she has knowledge of the Weirding Ways.

*offers melange up to the mahdi*
Anno... while I love Haruhi as much as the next guy, I still want to be around to finish watching the show and reading the novels so please spare me

Nice Dune reference anyway Though Yuki could very well be mistaken as a target for the Butlerian Jihad...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 01:05   Link #146
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
My goodness. I go to sleep for a while and this thread has exploded.

You're talking about me by any chance? That's what I felt at the moment and I don't really feel it now (the urge to punch Haruhi) but I'm beginning to think that the purpose of that passage which I felt questionable (and the passages that other people felt were questionable to them) were precisely there to make the reader question his liking of Haruhi. Haruhi has a superiority complex (the Nietzche (sp) reference is a good one) and is a morally ambivalent character. There's no way around that. That's what makes her standout as a character. Its her biggest draw and her biggest flaw. Anyone watching/reading SHnY will have to deal with her seeming amorality and react to it. While watching Haruhi's antics could make you laugh and it often does, you will have to question the inherent sadism present within yourself when you do so.
of course, you snooze you lose lol. With the impending change in atmosphere, I wonder how many of those who took to SHnY as a comedy actually heeded the warnings of the novel veterans...
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 01:25   Link #147
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
of course, you snooze you lose lol. With the impending change in atmosphere, I wonder how many of those who took to SHnY as a comedy actually heeded the warnings of the novel veterans...
Darn.. Haruhi is relentless T_T She throws sleep out the window! Well considering that the warnings of the novel veterans are buried within 100s of other posts, its very likely that most haven't seen those warnings I guess Kyo-ani is also trying to remedy an overwhelming change of atmosphere by splicing in the short stories from novel 3 like Sushi-Y and others have suggested in order not to alienate those coming in for the comedy. Hopefully when the serious bits hit people will recognize that they just make SHnY even better.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 02:12   Link #148
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, the reason I watch the show besides the comedy element (which is starting to seem crude in my eyes) is in hopes that SOMEONE will put SOME sort of sense into Haruhi, preferably Kyon, although I doubt that will happen
Old 2006-04-19, 02:18   Link #149
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Having the very useful ability to turn my Morals and Ethics on and off on a whim, I am able to fully appreciate Haruhi's egotism and the havoc left in her ponderous and ultimately irresistable path. Furthermore, mental scars aside, I should like to point out that Haruhi's harm is transient and fleeting. I sincerely doubt the Great One would truly wish to bring undue, irrecoverable harm to any of her subjects. All is within the great plan.

*thumps chest twice and extends fist outwards*
MY LIFE FOR HARUHI!
Old 2006-04-19, 02:29   Link #150
RedFrame
A talking white tiger :O
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to RedFrame
Dude.. she just make a complete stranger to grope Mikuru breast.....
what is happening to this world...aiyooo *sigh*
thats the only thing that would make put 1 instead of 10 .
edit:
But add 9 for the perfect grade detail character

Last edited by RedFrame; 2006-04-19 at 02:45.
RedFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 02:38   Link #151
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
Having the very useful ability to turn my Morals and Ethics on and off on a whim, I am able to fully appreciate Haruhi's egotism and the havoc left in her ponderous and ultimately irresistable path. Furthermore, mental scars aside, I should like to point out that Haruhi's harm is transient and fleeting. I sincerely doubt the Great One would truly wish to bring undue, irrecoverable harm to any of her subjects. All is within the great plan.

*thumps chest twice and extends fist outwards*
MY LIFE FOR HARUHI!
First statement: Yes, every blind follower of someone can say that
Second statement: Yes, I can picture Hitler thinking just that "Transient and fleeting in my great plan"
Old 2006-04-19, 02:53   Link #152
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
Never mind the hilarious comedy and the near unsurpassed level of raw wit this show has shown in its first three episodes. The thing that's really impressing me is the directing. It's phenomenal.

This continues to be one of the most revolutionary things I've seen in anime for a very long time. Everything about it, from the atmosphere to animation to characters to comedy just seems to work in such a unique way. And the story is starting to become intriguing and mysterious as well. I just cannot remember the last time I've been so exciting about an anime.
The directing has to be good. After all, it's done by the Super Director Suzumiya Haruhi!
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 04:15   Link #153
Shiokaze
Hitsugaya is my hero.

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Shiokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 05:28   Link #154
Knavinusa

I had to give this one a 9 as well. Despite the pacing, everything else in the episode was perfect. Like everyone else, I couldn't help but laugh at Mikuru's misfortune (as mean as it is).
Knavinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 06:07   Link #155
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

Very, very good episode. Haruhi as a bunnygirl just made it hotter

The more I see it, the more I think the "spinning legs" scene in the OP isn't a mistake after all. If you look in the background; Kyoanim is obviously putting a lot of effort into this show, so they wouldn't make a stupid mistake like that. Plus, you can see Electron symbols at that time in the background, so...

...sorry if I'm not exactly witty, it's 7 AM, just woke up and I'm writing on 6 hours of sleep (everything seemed to wake me up... meh)
Old 2006-04-19, 06:27   Link #156
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

At the scene where they show Mikuru's back as Kyon was saying "Asahina-san, your back looks as if you've just failed an university entrance exam or a salary-man who just bought a house with huge mortgage payments only to be fired from the job soon after," my thoughts were "Asahina-san, your back looks as if you've just been gang-raped and too embarassed to talk to anyone about it."

Yes, I'm evil.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 07:17   Link #157
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
First statement: Yes, every blind follower of someone can say that
Second statement: Yes, I can picture Hitler thinking just that "Transient and fleeting in my great plan"
Millions of people brutally killed is sort of the opposite of transient and fleeting, no matter what dialect of English you're using. I was thinking more along the lines of, "Don't look so down fella, arms break, but they heal too." orrr... "Ah, you would've had to demolish that building in 50 years time anyhow." orrr.... "Nuclear Fallout only lasts... what? Oh... yeah, that IS a long time, hmmm..."
Old 2006-04-19, 07:42   Link #158
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mikuru seems to be drowning in her fate ... as if she just views it as her task in the job of diverting Haruhi. That was a nice little scene where she asks Kyon if he will take her under his wing even if she ends up "ruined for marriage", though his metaphors describing his thoughts as she walks off looking so disheveled and lovely got a little odd.

Haruhi looked really hot through most of the episode.... I think it has to do with her total "innocence" when she moves, rips her clothes off, wears the bunny suit. She just seems completely unaware of the concept of embarrassment. And that was quite a deft kick she delivered.

At first, I was very Haruhi-oriented but Mikuru and Yuki "leveled up" in this episode... three goddesses representing aspects of I-don't-know-what-the-hell-what-yet

Kyon clearly finds the situation "interesting" (he's not reallly upset that he's surrounded by 3 lovely girls) even if he just loves to complain. I can see how the impending arrival of Itsuki(sp?) might piss him off
Despite the eccentricities and bizarreness, I still find the character behavior and reactions to be very natural and believable (as in I mean, the "strings of the puppeteers" are invisible).
Old 2006-04-19, 07:47   Link #159
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Haruhi only abuses people who are weak and wishy washy.

Mikuru had her breasts groped and other perversions forced upon her but just caves in. It is hard to respect her if she does not stand up for herself. Her reaction would seem to be a little over the top too.

It is the same with computer club guys. They made no attempt to grab the camera or even stand up to Haruhi. tbh who at the school would actually believe what Haruhi says anyway and Mikuru is hardly going to claim they did anything to her. I think she realised they were wimps that could be pushed around and just used the easiest quickest tactic to get what she wanted.

Haruhi is clearly quite intelligent and well organised and would use different tactics on different people. This demostrations one of the dangers of isolating people or letting them isolate themselves. She doesn't care what other people think (except maybe Kyon) and so has no reason to be nice to people.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 07:50   Link #160
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The anime continues its excellent adaptation of the novel. I liked how they censored Haruhi saying the word "gang rape" with comical effect (blackmailing the whole Computer Society guys that they gang raped Mikuru, that is).

After reading the first novel, I can see why Kyo-Ani wanted to skip to the beginning of the third novel, and introduce the other interesting side characters first, as the end of the first novel pushes the main characters' relationships forward a lot.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote