AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-18, 15:12   Link #1
msv_123

Getting started with BT

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and new to BitTorrent, i'ld like to get some of your advice on how i should use a client, and the precautions i should take before i start using one. I have looked at all the threads in this part of the forum, and from general concensus, bit tornado sounds like a reliable and safe option, i have also downloaded the original bit torrent, so out of the two is there a safer option? I also want to configure the client the safest way possible, preventing as much viruses, spyware, etc, as i can. I'm on a dialup connection, i am using windows xp home edition, i'm on a 1.6ghz celeron m processor, on a notebook, and i have 256ram, would there be too any limitations preventing me from downloading torrents? And lastly what should i know before i start, i haven't even opened the programs yet, as i want to be extra careful, as to prevent damage to my computer. Anyway, i would appreciate any advice people can give me on this forum.
msv_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 15:53   Link #2
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
i like azureus myself,
bt doesnt work well for me
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 21:43   Link #3
ImperialPanda

1) Run win32 setup executable and install the BT client according to the installation wizard.
2) Download a torrent file (*.torrent) and Open with client.
3) Watch it go.

Nothing about BT "damages" your computer. Just pay attention to comments regarding the torrent you're downloading, if there are any. If you really want you can scan the downloaded file with an anti-virus after you finish, but this is highly unnecessary. We're no longer in KaZaA-land.

I'd personally use BitTornado or uTorrent.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 00:25   Link #4
tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv_123
I also want to configure the client the safest way possible, preventing as much viruses, spyware, etc, as i can. I'm on a dialup connection, i am using windows xp home edition, i'm on a 1.6ghz celeron m processor, on a notebook, and i have 256ram, would there be too any limitations preventing me from downloading torrents?
Let's see. You're on windows XP and you want to be as safe as possible. That's not happening. Of course, linux is about as safe as windows anyway. And both KDE and GNOME are serious memory hogs. If you're up for buying a computer, you could pick up a mac mini, or you could try one of the other BSDs.

My first suggestion is to not run XP as an adminstrator. If you are, then you should just stop reading this and re-do your box right now. I run one of the *BSDs, and I never run as root on this box. I just sudo when I need to, and I have log of all my root actions, so I can figure out how I broke something.

My second suggestion is to get DSL or broadband. I am on broadband, and I spend entire days pulling down complete series. I do not even want to imagine how long this would take on a phone line. Right now I am pulling down a 3G series. It's been running for a couple of hours now.

My third suggestion is to abandon windows and find an OS that uses less resources. The thing about windows is that after every SP, the OS takes up more resources to do the same thing. This I never understood. Maybe it's because MS is in bed with Intel. But that's just gossip.

I hope that helps.

tweak
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 06:37   Link #5
Hybrid_X
On Fire!!

I use Azureus and Utorrent... very reliable. Also if you're trying to avoid viruses make sure you pay attention to the descriptions of what the package contains that you're downloading. A good way to avoid spyware is to look at file sizes. Never download something that claims to be a movie, game, or application and has an unusally small size (i.e: downloading The Matrix DVD rip but the size of the download is like 23Kb). Thats a good way to get your HD sick. Also never download any media that requires a license to run, especially movies... TRUST ME!!!
Hybrid_X is offline   Reply With Quote