AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2006-04-20, 02:17   Link #1
noranthon

Cannot launch bittorent (No module named gtk)

I have been unable to launch recent versions of Bittorrent, including the latest, downloaded April 19, 2006. I attempted launching, finally, from the console and got: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./bittorrent", line 177, in ?
import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk
I can launch Azureus (it seems to have made peace with Gtk) but its performance is unsatisfactory.
My OS is Mandriva LE 2005 and, as far as I can tell, Gtk is installed. The following packages are listed as installed:
gtk+2.0-2.6.4-mdk ; gtk-themes-1.0-10mdk
libgtk+1.2-1.2.10-41mdk ; libgtk+2.0_0-2.6.4-2mdk
mdk-menu-messages-10.2-2mdk
What to do?
noranthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 03:15   Link #2
SomeWhiteGuy

Quote:
I can launch Azureus (it seems to have made peace with Gtk)
Azureus uses java, not GTK

And yeah, pretty odd. I'd just try to uninstall GTK and install it again. If you goto the site, what version of GTK do you need for it to work? Maybe install that version, check if it works, then upgreade to the latest version if there is one out and see if it works.
SomeWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 03:21   Link #3
Loniat
Paranoid Android

As said, Azureus does not use GTK.
You should probably try Mandriva forums.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 06:00   Link #4
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Make sure the pyGTK you have installed matches your python version as well.
Old 2006-04-20, 22:59   Link #5
noranthon

Thanks to all. I'm going to post in the Mandriva forum at LinuxQuestions. I've downloaded recent versions of software required by bittorrent and got stuck on installing pygtk because it could not locate the "python headers", whatever they are. I told it where python itself is installed.

I also ran urpmi bittorrent, whereupon the OS wanted to install its old version of bittorrent. I've done that now but it's an unsatisfactory solution because it's old. (What's more I've yet to work out how to launch it.) I may try reinstalling gtk and then reinstalling the new version of bittorrent as suggested - I'll need to backtrack first because at some stage I thought that the problem was that the new bt failed to recognise the old gtk. Anyway ....

When I ran Azureus, it downloaded in about an hour a file that should have taken more than 8 hours, then disappeared. I could not get it to reappear. Needless to say, the download failed the md5sum test and was no use at all.

Can anyone recommend a bittorrent client that works without all this drama - like Bittorrent itself used to work?

Last edited by noranthon; 2006-04-20 at 23:10.
noranthon is offline   Reply With Quote