AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-04-21, 13:26   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Astro Boy Licensing

Why is it this series is always handled so poorly when brough over to North America. All 3 series have been licensed and each time they've been released as dub only with missing episodes and altered stories. What is it going to take to get a darn Japanese Audio Track for Astro Boy, you'd think with a series as important as Astro Boy you'd be able to find even one Subtitled episode in North America (Just once I'd love to see the show as it was orignally intended to be shown), but alas this is not the case. *Biggest sigh I've ever emitted*
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 11:10   Link #2
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

The first series was bought over in the 60's, so standards were different back then. The English version being released is part of the "nostalgia" market. Now I'm not sure why they haven't released a subtitled set of 60's Astro Boy, but I can only assume its because the thing is over 100 episodes.

Same thing with the 1980's version from Manga Ent, but it hass some uncut, subtitled episodes on it. I'm not 100% on this because I havent watched it, and Im not sure how they synched up the Japanese audio, as the US version is based on a canadian version, which is edited from an Australian ABC version (or not, please feel free to correct me).

Current Astro Boy, well, theres no real reason why there isn't a bilingual release, or atleast a widescreen release. Chalk it up to Sony being stupid, for some stupid reason. However, Yesasia.com are selling an English subtitles, Japanese 5.1 Widescreen version of the first 25 episodes of the 2003 series. it's missing one episode for some weird reason, but in general, its pretty solid. There's also a (legit) HK version, but you're going to have to do your own hunting around.

As for original intentions, well, that's always a tricky thing, especially for a show aimed primarily for children on a (now) international level. There isn't one specific intended version.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote