AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-22, 21:49   Link #481
ZeroXSEED
I am no one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inside your head
G Gundam is awesome when you think it as super robot

As real robot, it's worse than 00 in tech regard (for me it's one of the most important aspect of the anime aside from plot and character)
__________________
My OTP is fucked up as expected
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 21:53   Link #482
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
G Gundam is awesome when you think it as super robot

As real robot, it's worse than 00 in tech regard (for me it's one of the most important aspect of the anime aside from plot and character)
I think of G, Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, and perhaps the last 1/3 of AGE as more super robot.

UC-era, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam come off as much more real robot.

That's just me, though.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 22:19   Link #483
Yye1
Member of Little Busters
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
G Gundam doesnt feel like Gundam to me, too much super robot elements. The same with Turn A and the second season of 00. Another issue I have with G is that its pretty racist.

IMO, the UC gundam series, not including Victory and F91. were pretty good. Wing and Seed Destiny were ok.

My favorite gundam series are still seed, X and Zeta
__________________
Donít you open your mouth about the best. Or Iím ma shut it for you real quick.
- Richard Sherman

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 22:29   Link #484
ZeroXSEED
I am no one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inside your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
Another issue I have with G is that its pretty racist.
Yeah, Japanese know how go all out with the stereotypes. Their humor is weird like that.
__________________
My OTP is fucked up as expected
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 23:03   Link #485
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Yeah, though I can overlook the stereotyping as every country is guilty of that to some degree.

When it comes to super robot, obviously, you're not going to care SO much about the fighting (being "realistic") since you expect it to be over the top or one-sided or something, which largely leaves development to the overall plot and the characters to keep your attention and, unfortunately, I just couldn't get that invested in Wing, SEED/SEED Destiny, later 00, and last 1/3 of AGE because of one or both of those aspects. I can give a pass to (largely) one-sided MS battles as it's something I expect in such things, even if I don't really like it.

I do admit that I did like the aspect of SEED with the DNA manipulation in creating Coordinators and those problems that I would've liked to see explored a bit more, but when it came to the characters we were supposed to actually care about...eh...the only ones I didn't think were so bad most of the time were Athrun and Cagalli (though Athrun just follows Kira in the end, and Cagalli was made into a crying wuss in Destiny, and don't get me started on relationships).
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 01:42   Link #486
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
I think of G, Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, and perhaps the last 1/3 of AGE as more super robot.

UC-era, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam come off as much more real robot.

That's just me, though.
Well imo, ZZ & Victory also feel SuperRobot-ish due to all the "parts-former" MSs and combining mid-air/mid-space during battles (not to mention the silly nature of the shows itself). When I compare Wing & 00 to UC shows like ZZ & Victory, the said AC shows suddenly don't feel that bad (much better even).
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 01:58   Link #487
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well imo, ZZ & Victory also feel SuperRobot-ish due to all the "parts-former" MSs and combining mid-air/mid-space during battles (not to mention the silly nature of the shows itself). When I compare Wing & 00 to UC shows like ZZ & Victory, the said AC shows suddenly don't feel that bad (much better even).
The upsides I can think of for the docking stuff is that at least there are purposes explained for them in ways and not merely a "cool" gimmick. Things like escape vehicles, data collection and survival (for pilot and data), multi-purpose usage like Sentinel did with the split up S Gundam, ease of repair and maintenance, and such. They even usually stop using them that much later on in the series and just launch the MS fully docked rather than in pieces, only really doing the docking early on.

Even Victory exploited the usage of the docking to allow Uso to perform some rather innovative tricks later in the series with extra parts, and also staying in battles with the quick replacement of damage parts.

With Wing and 00 though, such things came off as much more gimmicky and unnecessary overall. SEED and SEED Destiny made SOME use of such things with the Strike and Impulse respectively, though after they get passed down and become secondary MS, such uses just seem to disappear (as in they usually just launch with a single pack and stick with that one pack for the whole battle, never making any in-battle switches to accommodate different situations like the main character does at times).
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 02:52   Link #488
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
With Wing and 00 though, such things came off as much more gimmicky and unnecessary overall.
Wing doesn't have partsformer MSs which dock during battles, does it?

Also, IIRC 00 only has one such MS which is 00 Raiser (00 Gundam + O-Raiser).
But the docking itself is pretty simple yet they still made a big deal out of it, unlike ZZ's "Yay! Let's dock!!"-approach .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 02:54   Link #489
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wing doesn't have partsformer MSs which dock during battles, does it?

Also, IIRC 00 only has one such MS which is 00 Raiser (Gundam + O-Raiser).
But the docking itself is pretty simple yet they still made a big deal out of it coz mid-battle docking is still a hard thing to do, unlike ZZ's "Yay! Let's dock!!" approach .
Only half of it, just "transformer" (Wing Gundam, Wing Gundam Zero, and the Taurus), but no "parts", lol.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 02:57   Link #490
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Only half of it, just "transformer" (Wing Gundam, Wing Gundam Zero, and the Taurus), but no "parts", lol.
Transformer is still more practical than partsformer though. You can't put the two on the same level.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 02:58   Link #491
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 28
From what I remember of the previous UC series I watched, the early UC shows were bigger offenders at the whole "Super Robot" thing than later shows.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 03:23   Link #492
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
From what I remember of the previous UC series I watched, the early UC shows were bigger offenders at the whole "Super Robot" thing than later shows.
Well, let me recall:

MSG: which is an obvious case since it's still heavily influenced by SR shows before it.
Zeta: The titular Gundam can absorb the souls of your loved ones and give you a boost while glowing pink.
ZZ: Some junker kids can pilot cutting edge partsformer Gundam like ZZ like their dad's car.
CCA: The Psychommu system/psychoframe can boost Amuro's telepathic ability into telekinethic one and able to pull a large asteroid which put Jean Grey to shame.
Victory: Beam Rotor, giant-wheeled land-battleship, Gundam vs. bikini-wearing female-soldiers, and other WTF-stuff

So, you might be right .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 03:24   Link #493
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inside Mugino's Pantsu *_*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But the docking itself is pretty simple yet they still made a big deal out of it, unlike ZZ's "Yay! Let's dock!!"-approach .
lol, yeah, flying over for 23482384729 minutes of episode and then saji and our gundam wannabe, setsuna's mind become one and they see each other while naked lol
hyou gattai and flying while naked with trans am super jet ski an slice enemy into dust with 29837428937429 km/h speed
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 03:28   Link #494
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 28
The whole naked-during-colorful/inverted space has been a staple of all the Gundam shows, so you can't really give 00 shit about it without coming off as a hypocrite. :V
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 03:41   Link #495
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
lol, yeah, flying over for 23482384729 minutes of episode
You just enforce my point of how hard mid-battle docking is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
and then saji and our gundam wannabe, setsuna's mind become one and they see each other while naked lol
Like RD said, "naked together in space" is a staple in Gundam franchise, you can't diss only 00 while praising other series for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
hyou gattai and flying while naked with trans am super jet ski an slice enemy into dust with 29837428937429 km/h speed
Still more believable than the-dead-soul-absorber Gundam that glows pink and/or Beam Rotor.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 11:47   Link #496
Yye1
Member of Little Busters
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
SEED and SEED Destiny made SOME use of such things with the Strike and Impulse respectively, though after they get passed down and become secondary MS, such uses just seem to disappear (as in they usually just launch with a single pack and stick with that one pack for the whole battle, never making any in-battle switches to accommodate different situations like the main character does at times).
Well, the main thing you forget is that in Seed and Destiny is that they chose to use the pack that is usable in most situations, or in the case of the Seed remastered, they combined all the packs into one, rendering the pack switching moot.

Hmm, thinking back, isnt some of the seed units a bit more realistic? Like in UC, the whole psycho-frame and bio-sensor thing, in wing, there is the ZERO system, and don't get me started on the later 00 machines.
Overall, at least in Seed and Seed Destiny, there is no real crazy mechanisms that border on abstract concepts like telepathy or clairvoyance in the mobile suits themselves
__________________
Donít you open your mouth about the best. Or Iím ma shut it for you real quick.
- Richard Sherman

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 11:59   Link #497
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
Hmm, thinking back, isnt some of the seed units a bit more realistic? Like in UC, the whole psycho-frame and bio-sensor thing, in wing, there is the ZERO system, and don't get me started on the later 00 machines.
Overall, at least in Seed and Seed Destiny, there is no real crazy mechanisms that border on abstract concepts like telepathy or clairvoyance in the mobile suits themselves
But SEED Destiny made up for it by having "Gary Stu" Gundam (eg. Strike Freedom) which didn't even get scratched in the final battle. Say what you want about 00, but even the super-duper 00 Raiser & Qan[T] took some heavy beatings during their battles.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 13:54   Link #498
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 28
Actually, the 00 Qan[T] wasn't actually damaged at all. The only time they came close, its GN-Field defended it from it, and the only shot that wasn't blocked by the field was blocked by its shield, and it showed no visible damage.

The 00 Raiser, on the other hand, was trashed in its final battle, rebuilt, then completely destroyed when the Seravee II self-destructed.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 14:12   Link #499
Yye1
Member of Little Busters
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But SEED Destiny made up for it by having "Gary Stu" Gundam (eg. Strike Freedom) which didn't even get scratched in the final battle. Say what you want about 00, but even the super-duper 00 Raiser & Qan[T] took some heavy beatings during their battles.
So? thats not what I meant, what i meant was internal systems, and aside from advanced technology multi-lock and DRAGOONS, the Strike Freedom did not have semi-supernatural abilities.
Also, despite my distaste for how the SF did not take any damage, it was still within reason to believe that its due to a mixture of skill of the pilot and extremely advanced technology.
__________________
Donít you open your mouth about the best. Or Iím ma shut it for you real quick.
- Richard Sherman

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 15:24   Link #500
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
So? thats not what I meant, what i meant was internal systems, and aside from advanced technology multi-lock and DRAGOONS, the Strike Freedom did not have semi-supernatural abilities.
Also, despite my distaste for how the SF did not take any damage, it was still within reason to believe that its due to a mixture of skill of the pilot and extremely advanced technology.
Skill can only go SO far when it comes to fighting essentially entire armies. And also don't forget, Kira fought against Rey, someone with an equally advanced MS (the Infinite Justice and Strike Freedom were really just slight upgrades of the originals using some of the newer tech the Destiny and Legend had), and very skilled in his own right. The only reason he ended up taken out was, for SOME unexplainable reason, he suddenly decided to hesitate and freeze at Kira's pretty speech, even though he spent most of the series telling Shinn not to buy into such things from Athrun, leaving him WIDE open to be dealt a crippling blow from Kira.

At least Shinn has an excuse for losing to Athrun due to losing his mind to rage (with Lunamaria being hit), something not too new to us (the fact that he's very emotional and tends to let it control his actions).
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.