AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-13, 03:41   Link #4221
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Yeah....both of us do have 'get a job' as a goal to go for first. Me especially; I know I'm likely to have to take on the responsibility of feeding her in the future.
Well you can always work for the government. Working at GIC is pretty fast-paced, but it isn't that bad of a job because your glass rice bowl is made of Pyrex.

According to this, the median household income in Singapore is around $4,850. Supposedly the children are not working, this amount means that BOTH spouses are working. And it is likely that this data does not take into account the private investments per family.

You could do the rest of the stats with data here. I remember seeing on the same site that the median income per Singaporean is about 3k, but I don't know where is that page.

It's really a rat race here. We need catgirls.

Quote:
Oh, yeah! I've been surprised at how many of my same-age peers are already getting married/engaged, although they've all been girls so far, so that's less surprising. Hell, I know one girl my age who was in the same JC as me, and she's a mother of two now. Daaaaaamned.
I see quite a number of these having fiances and husbands of around TRL's age. Not all of them are for the money the guy possesses though : it is around approx 40% proportion who felt that guys at their age are not worth dating because they don't understand girls.

C'mon it's not like we don't have to serve something called the SAF and miss out on the transitional years into young adulthood. Give us guys sometime to understand you girls.

Quote:
I'd rather not have a son, especially not here in Singapore, to be honest. A daughter, or even none at all, is fine by me.
Actually, girls cost more to raise from 0-21. But if she scores a rich guy, you win.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 04:12   Link #4222
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well you can always work for the government. Working at GIC is pretty fast-paced, but it isn't that bad of a job because your glass rice bowl is made of Pyrex.

According to this, the median household income in Singapore is around $4,850. Supposedly the children are not working, this amount means that BOTH spouses are working. And it is likely that this data does not take into account the private investments per family.

You could do the rest of the stats with data here. I remember seeing on the same site that the median income per Singaporean is about 3k, but I don't know where is that page.

It's really a rat race here. We need catgirls.
Well, regardless of whether my future wife works or not, I would have a pair of people known as 'in-laws' to satisfy at that point, you know. Gotta learn to at least look capable of making money.

Quote:
I see quite a number of these having fiances and husbands of around TRL's age. Not all of them are for the money the guy possesses though : it is around approx 40% proportion who felt that guys at their age are not worth dating because they don't understand girls.

C'mon it's not like we don't have to serve something called the SAF and miss out on the transitional years into young adulthood. Give us guys sometime to understand you girls.
Local girls aren't worth it for the most part, and yes, I know I'm inviting some negreps here. Still, it's no accident that I ended up with a foreigner, I'm pretty sure of it.

Quote:
Actually, girls cost more to raise from 0-21. But if she scores a rich guy, you win.
Putting cost and other considerations aside, it's simply that I'm just more inclined to deal with a cute little loli than a bratty little shota....

....I said that out loud, didn't I?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 04:13   Link #4223
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Remember kids, a wife is a better investment than a girlfriend.

Think about it > you spend money on her, you melt your heart out for her, spend a lot of time with her, endless phone convos AND THEN she sees a better looking guy than u and waves Sayonara! to you!

So, guys, get a good degree > get a good job which pays well > get married.
Uh, no offense, but my first thought on reading this was "find a girlfriend who isn't a bad stereotype".

I actually consider it a good thing my girlfriend took a long while to decide whether to go out with me - means I can expect not to get flipped on short notice.

Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth
Putting cost and other considerations aside, it's simply that I'm just more inclined to deal with a cute little loli than a bratty little shota....

You did, but don't worry, I understand.

Although it does make me think you should read the manga "Otaku no Musume-san".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 04:52   Link #4224
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You did, but don't worry, I understand.

Although it does make me think you should read the manga "Otaku no Musume-san".
Or I could just pull up any episode of Lucky Star with Izumi Soujirou in it for much the same purpose.

Although, of course, I'm not actually anywhere near as hardcore as he is. A future daughter of mine being a Konata would be hilarious, but I don't believe my future wife would stand for it.
Old 2010-04-13, 05:39   Link #4225
master_buten

my sister got married a few weeks ago, they have been together for like 9 years now... i personally think that no matter how opposite one might be to his/her partner, things will still work out with love and a little dust of faith.
master_buten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 06:46   Link #4226
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Well, regardless of whether my future wife works or not, I would have a pair of people known as 'in-laws' to satisfy at that point, you know. Gotta learn to at least look capable of making money.
You don't have to worry about that though. According to exchange rates, SGD$1.00 = VND$13,000. According to mathematical proportions, it would be around 0.5 - 0.75 times per unit dollar w.r.t the cost of living in Singapore. Meaning which a meal here could bag you two over there.

The exchange rate won't change much within the next 10 years unless China decides to supply them with nukes. Usually countries with lots of natural resources have lower living standards than democratic countries pumping out their service sectors, due to psychology influenced by non-monetary self-sufficiency. (no offense intended for all Vietnamese in this paragraph.)

Quote:
Local girls aren't worth it for the most part, and yes, I know I'm inviting some negreps here. Still, it's no accident that I ended up with a foreigner, I'm pretty sure of it.
You aren't the only guy who thought that way. Though there has been "coffee shop talk" pointing out how our quality standard of living and easy accesses to needs made us complacent, it has been said that NS "knocked sense" into the guys and left the girls as they are.

Of course this is just a mere possibility and explanation. There are still local guys who date local girls. I would prefer a local girl though, if only they are not so high maintenance.

Quote:

Please don't do anything that will land you in Changi.

And keep in mind that once your "loli" hits the age of 14+, you are going to get into more trouble than you ask for. Going to the police station or principal office once in a while to fetch a boy might seem much better than a girl not telling you anything (Cold War), and even worse your wife might even be siding with her.

Then you have to deal with her dating a guy, etc, etc. I guarantee a rise in blood pressure for that.

Quote:
Or I could just pull up any episode of Lucky Star with Izumi Soujirou in it for much the same purpose.

Although, of course, I'm not actually anywhere near as hardcore as he is. A future daughter of mine being a Konata would be hilarious, but I don't believe my future wife would stand for it.
As long as pragmatics apply and she can mug her way up the academic ladder, I don't think your wife would care, right?

Unless she decides to wear zettai ryouiki to school.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-13, 09:07   Link #4227
Ascaloth

Quote:
You don't have to worry about that though. According to exchange rates, SGD$1.00 = VND$13,000. According to mathematical proportions, it would be around 0.5 - 0.75 times per unit dollar w.r.t the cost of living in Singapore. Meaning which a meal here could bag you two over there.

The exchange rate won't change much within the next 10 years unless China decides to supply them with nukes. Usually countries with lots of natural resources have lower living standards than democratic countries pumping out their service sectors, due to psychology influenced by non-monetary self-sufficiency. (no offense intended for all Vietnamese in this paragraph.)
You're assuming I'll be living in Saigon and earning Singapore wages in that future. Granted that's her dream future, but it's still a lot to assume.

Quote:
And keep in mind that once your "loli" hits the age of 14+, you are going to get into more trouble than you ask for. Going to the police station or principal office once in a while to fetch a boy might seem much better than a girl not telling you anything (Cold War), and even worse your wife might even be siding with her.

Then you have to deal with her dating a guy, etc, etc. I guarantee a rise in blood pressure for that.
Well, my girl is a little dense when it comes to "female" politics, so if a daughter of hers breeds true, I shouldn't have to deal with that problem too much.

As for the "dating guys" thing....eh, at least I know what I'm asking for.

Quote:
As long as pragmatics apply and she can mug her way up the academic ladder, I don't think your wife would care, right?

Unless she decides to wear zettai ryouiki to school.
True, my girl had no prejudices about being with someone like me after all....

....hey, why are you referring to her as "my wife" already?
Old 2010-04-13, 09:44   Link #4228
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_buten View Post
my sister got married a few weeks ago, they have been together for like 9 years now... i personally think that no matter how opposite one might be to his/her partner, things will still work out with love and a little dust of faith.
Unfortunately (and I hate to shoot you down! ) there are more factors to a relationship than love and faith. Which isn't to say that those things don't work in the long run, because obviously, the whole concept is kind of built on faith in the first place when you get the courage to ask someone else, it's just that if you're aiming for a long-term, serious commitment, I think you need a little more than that.
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 10:41   Link #4229
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
You're assuming I'll be living in Saigon and earning Singapore wages in that future. Granted that's her dream future, but it's still a lot to assume.
I actually meant that you send money there and work here. They will be the ones buying the meals themselves.

Quote:
Well, my girl is a little dense when it comes to "female" politics, so if a daughter of hers breeds true, I shouldn't have to deal with that problem too much.

As for the "dating guys" thing....eh, at least I know what I'm asking for.
Well there is a case where a 17-year-old girl hacked her father to death with an axe. More commonly, there would be "I choose which guy I want so shut up you old man!"

And on the topic of your girl being dense about "female politics" : dammit, you are a lucky guy.

Quote:
True, my girl had no prejudices about being with someone like me after all....

....hey, why are you referring to her as "my wife" already?
I am talking about your future wife, which ideally should be her. So, you having second thoughts?

Old 2010-04-13, 10:54   Link #4230
Ascaloth

Quote:
I actually meant that you send money there and work here. They will be the ones buying the meals themselves.
....to be honest, I'm not too sure on working here in the future, either. She doesn't want to live here permanently, and frankly, I'm of the same mindset.

Quote:
Well there is a case where a 17-year-old girl hacked her father to death with an axe. More commonly, there would be "I choose which guy I want so shut up you old man!"
Hmmm....I was kind of hoping I'll turn out to be the kind of father Furukawa Akio from CLANNAD is, actually. If you've watched it, you know what I mean.

Quote:
And on the topic of your girl being dense about "female politics" : dammit, you are a lucky guy.
Oh trust me, I know.

Quote:
I am talking about your future wife, which ideally should be her. So, you having second thoughts?
I am the only person who has the right to call her my wife, so don't you go getting fresh there....

....wait, did I say that out loud again?
Old 2010-04-13, 11:02   Link #4231
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Not if he has any sanity he won't have any second thoughts. A lady with denseness in female politics? Luck. Good looking? Excellent. Suitable personality? Superb.

Ascaloth might need more advice later on, though he would need to ask a professional for that kind of help.

I think a person can choose whoever they want to long as it's good for them. Me? I think I'll just stay enamored for all I care. Love is like a pure spring, it's tempting but you shouldn't defile it by bathing in it.

I personally like tomboys, since I've been surrounded by tomboys for the major of my life thus far, I simply find them more appealing then the shy ones of society. These tomboys don't have need a soft spot or anything, It's just that would be very nice if they did... Alternative Known As: Tsundere

Though tsunderes are less fun in real life then they are in anime, unfortunately. (Or from what I've heard.)

My advice? Go get em', obstacles are there so you can triumph over them. You should feel obligated to succeed over these obstructions and get the result you want: Genuine love.

Times can be hard, times can be soft. But what matters most is the love that is nurtured in those times. Negligence is usually the sign of busy lifestyle, but don't let it ruin you. Don't let it triumph over you.

I really can't say having kids early on will help the situation, either. You should give yourself a rock solid foundation before doing any of that. In my opinion, though. So it really doesn't have a determining factor on yours.

This advice is pretty general, but I hope at least someone found it useful, if not - then oh well. Cie'le vie or however you spell that.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 12:03   Link #4232
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_buten View Post
It's an emotional view of love, which isn't wrong, per se. But it's really the ability to communicate and tell your partner everything, and know they will understand, that determines whether a relationship will work. There's a reason why "best friends" tends to make the best romantic relationships; two people are already very comfortable with each other, and thus it's a relationship that will last.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 12:54   Link #4233
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
....to be honest, I'm not too sure on working here in the future, either. She doesn't want to live here permanently, and frankly, I'm of the same mindset.
Well it all depends on you though. As long as she's willing to follow you wherever you go, it should be fine. Politics and accessibility-wise to communications and transport in SEA, here is probably the best. Though the competition and the lack of real opportunities in dreams bigger than making money (to quote C.A) are bothersome.

Quote:
Hmmm....I was kind of hoping I'll turn out to be the kind of father Furukawa Akio from CLANNAD is, actually. If you've watched it, you know what I mean.
I thought that kind of father is someone straight out of the asylum. If your daughter is nothing like Nagisa, she'll go,

"Dad. Please stop scaring my friends."

Come to think of it, how would your girl think of a person like that as a life partner?

Quote:
I am the only person who has the right to call her my wife, so don't you go getting fresh there....

....wait, did I say that out loud again?
I said YOUR wife. I am already married and have 5 of my own!

Old 2010-04-13, 13:12   Link #4234
Ascaloth

Quote:
Well it all depends on you though. As long as she's willing to follow you wherever you go, it should be fine. Politics and accessibility-wise to communications and transport in SEA, here is probably the best. Though the competition and the lack of real opportunities in dreams bigger than making money (to quote C.A) are bothersome.
Meh. We're going way too far into the future now, I think. One step at a time for now.

Quote:
I thought that kind of father is someone straight out of the asylum. If your daughter is nothing like Nagisa, she'll go,

"Dad. Please stop scaring my friends."

Come to think of it, how would your girl think of a person like that as a life partner?
The way I see it, if we go by the assumption that your child as a teenager is going to be embarassed by you anyway regardless of what you do, might as well play along and have some fun with the space that these low expectations afford you.

Also, considering my girl is already sticking to me like glue despite the silly things I've already done with her (), I'm not too worried that she'll think too much about it over time.

Quote:
I said YOUR wife. I am already married and have 5 of my own!
....not going to ask.

Okay, I'm heading to bed now.
Old 2010-04-13, 13:17   Link #4235
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Who says VNs don't provide good role models?

Although I have a long way to go before I can cut loose like he does. I still find I have a lot of cases where I think "I should say x to my girlfriend next time I see her", then when we actually end up going out next I end up thinking like "Uh... no. Not going to happen."

Old 2010-04-13, 17:55   Link #4236
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm actually fine with discussing a lot of topics with my girlfriend, some of which I wouldn't talk about with most people.

However, I usually end up deciding against saying things that sappy or romantic because she tends to get all shy and tense when I act like that. I feel like it will make her uncomfortable.

Old 2010-04-13, 18:53   Link #4237
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
However, I usually end up deciding against saying things that sappy or romantic because she tends to get all shy and tense when I act like that. I feel like it will make her uncomfortable.
I feel like if I every got in a relationship I would constantly say stuff like that. How much of a problem would the ladies out there have if a guy they're dating said things like "You're beautiful" etc. etc. to you?
Old 2010-04-13, 18:58   Link #4238
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
I feel like if I every got in a relationship I would constantly say stuff like that. How much of a problem would the ladies out there have if a guy they're dating said things like "You're beautiful" etc. etc. to you?
It depends on the lady. Some ladies are really moved by that, others think it's cheesy, others think it's overbearing. Part of being selective about one's romantic partner is thinking about comfort and modes of expression. If you're really inclined to be verbally expressive about your feelings to your partner, then you have to weight that when considering someone's viability.
Old 2010-04-13, 19:44   Link #4239
Shiemi
Counting days

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Like Ricky Controversy says, it depends on the girl/woman.

In my case, for example, I enjoy whenever my fiancÚ compliments me, but he doesn't do it often, which is fine by me. I'm pretty sure that if he did it too often, I would feel uncomfortable or weird. But from time to time, to me is perfect. Also, for me, two or three very cheesy moments during a year are also fine by me. But with cheesy moments in the relationship I do not refer to compliments. I don't consider compliments cheesy. Now, in my opinion, if compliments become too constant, they would become like routine and thus, lose value or meaning.

Frank Parsons
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 20:21   Link #4240
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiemi View Post
Now, in my opinion, if compliments become too constant, they would become like routine and thus, lose value or meaning.
I completely agree. I admit that I'm a sap and I certainly won't turn down a compliment (and I hardly ever find compliments to be cheesy), but if it's something that happens too often, then I feel that it loses its emotional value. Then again, I suppose it depends on whether or not couples can say things like that to each other and still keep the emotional value of it no matter how many times they say it.

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom