AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-25, 02:37   Link #6921
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Is getting high heels for your girlfriend's Christmas present a bad idea?
...I imagine a girl would want to buy the 'special occasion' stuff herself, actually. You buying them only really indicates you want 'more' of that special occasion. I suppose it may have a good side effect because it shows you care and wouldn't mind to go on them, but it may also come off as the opposite spectrum.

I'll play Devil's advocate and say it's good. And if my advocacy screws you up, feel free to come to West Virginia to kick my ass.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:42   Link #6922
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Is getting high heels for your girlfriend's Christmas present a bad idea?

My girlfriend isn't into heels that much, but she'll wear them on a "special occasion" every so often. I like it when she wears heels. She looks sexy. The problem is that it's hard for her to find her size sometimes, which helps contribute to her not wearing them as much.

I just wouldn't want her to think I'm being selfish and trying to change her or something like. I don't think she would take it that way though. I also know girls can be really picky when it comes to this kind of thing. I was thinking about getting here some nice mid-level black high heels that look pretty normal and low-key. What do you think?
Your choice seems okay, although I'm not quite sure whether she would actually liek the shoes. However, since you seem to know her preferences, etc, she would most likely appreciate it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:44   Link #6923
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
...I imagine a girl would want to buy the 'special occasion' stuff herself, actually. You buying them only really indicates you want 'more' of that special occasion. I suppose it may have a good side effect because it shows you care and wouldn't mind to go on them, but it may also come off as the opposite spectrum.

I'll play Devil's advocate and say it's good. And if my advocacy screws you up, feel free to come to West Virginia to kick my ass.
Meh, I'll take the risk. She's not hot headed. She'll probably find it funny.

By the way, it's extremely hard to find a size five in basic, black heels. Online even. My goodness. Everything is exotic. Oh well. I'm kind of having some fun on this quest.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:48   Link #6924
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Meh, I'll take the risk. She's not hot headed. She'll probably find it funny.

By the way, it's extremely hard to find a size five in basic, black heels. Online even. My goodness. Everything is exotic. Oh well. I'm kind of having some fun on this quest.
*Pats Samari*


If she doesn't recognize your effort, she's not worthy of you.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 03:54   Link #6925
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Meh, I'll take the risk. She's not hot headed. She'll probably find it funny.

By the way, it's extremely hard to find a size five in basic, black heels. Online even. My goodness. Everything is exotic. Oh well. I'm kind of having some fun on this quest.
Buy her lingerie imported from Korea or Japan! If you know her sizes that is.

Though that can be an excuse for you to know them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
That may apply for the current generation, perhaps. As it is though, I foresee that the "traditional" family unit will become rarer in the future. I think there might be a lot more single-parent families in the future, with a generation of more savvy parents who wouldn't need to rely on their children for old-age provisions as much as their parents did.

I may be a little too optimistic about that though, so YMMV.
Ever read Gulliver's Travels? The utopia of the horse-race Houyhnhnms?

If our society progresses towards that state, we would be in a dystopic utopia. The reasons are all oversimplified, and black-white are one but not gray. No art, no passion, no dreams, no ambition. Sure everyone is equal and there is peace all around, but there can never be progress because nobody desires anything different (which might even work better or more efficiently).

No sooner will I commission a Russian suitcase nuke from the black market and level this place, than to let it degenerate into that.

Quote:
I realize you're probably saying this for the benefit of everyone, but....I have an autistic brother, and I totally know what you mean by the latter part. Such a child is something which I still fear could be my fate, and I especially hope it's something my girl wouldn't have to face; I really don't want to become my mother.
Spoiler for rant:


Quote:
May the Almighty Haruhi bless your reunion with her representative on this world.
Imouto had her last paper today. And of all the timeslots, that older one has to choose a midnight flight that lands at 10.30pm. And I have to be stuck in-between two annoying girls when next week is my exams.

Sure they are cute, not when one wants to stick around with me and the other just wants to punch me. I NEED to study for my exams too!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 05:01   Link #6926
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Buy her lingerie imported from Korea or Japan! If you know her sizes that is.

Though that can be an excuse for you to know them.
That is a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. If anyone knows any great sites, I'd love some ideas. And actually, I think she's more of a 4 1/2...not sure what the exact conversion for that in Japan would be. I'm guessing a 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Pats Samari*


If she doesn't recognize your effort, she's not worthy of you.
Agreed.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 06:16   Link #6927
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ever read Gulliver's Travels? The utopia of the horse-race Houyhnhnms?

If our society progresses towards that state, we would be in a dystopic utopia. The reasons are all oversimplified, and black-white are one but not gray. No art, no passion, no dreams, no ambition. Sure everyone is equal and there is peace all around, but there can never be progress because nobody desires anything different (which might even work better or more efficiently).

No sooner will I commission a Russian suitcase nuke from the black market and level this place, than to let it degenerate into that.
Before I reply to this, I'll come forward and admit I've not read Gulliver's Travels, and thus have no idea about the Houyhnhnms you mentioned. Therefore, I'm going to be speaking from a position of ignorance about said literature, and have little if any idea about what point you're making.

That said, what's the link?

How is an increasing rate of single-parent families going to lead to a dystopic utopia? For my part, I was speaking from my sociological background; the breakdown of the traditional family unit is indeed under way at least in the West, and many different types of family configurations are appearing and becoming more prevalent as the moral Zeitgeist is shifting. Personally, I don't see this as anything negative; it's all about how you work with what you've got, and the "traditional" nuclear family was a product of the advent of capitalism in any case, whatever anyone else might say.

Quote:
Imouto had her last paper today. And of all the timeslots, that older one has to choose a midnight flight that lands at 10.30pm. And I have to be stuck in-between two annoying girls when next week is my exams.

Sure they are cute, not when one wants to stick around with me and the other just wants to punch me. I NEED to study for my exams too!
Oh, I feel for you, I really do.
Ascaloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 09:49   Link #6928
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Is getting high heels for your girlfriend's Christmas present a bad idea?

My girlfriend isn't into heels that much, but she'll wear them on a "special occasion" every so often. I like it when she wears heels. She looks sexy. The problem is that it's hard for her to find her size sometimes, which helps contribute to her not wearing them as much.

I just wouldn't want her to think I'm being selfish and trying to change her or something like. I don't think she would take it that way though. I also know girls can be really picky when it comes to this kind of thing. I was thinking about getting here some nice mid-level black high heels that look pretty normal and low-key. What do you think?
TBH? Never buy shoes for someone, hehehe Shoes fit differently depending on the manufacturer, the material they're made out of, etc. It'd be pretty embarrassing to buy her a pair of heels that dont' fit right and then she feels obligated to wear them anyway cause you bought them for her

the buying lingerie CAN be a good idea, *IF* she's into that... but again, women often prefer to buy their own, because they know their comfort level and little quirks of what will or won't fit (for instance, I have very large hips, but a much smaller waist. If I were to wear a 1 piece bathing suit, I end up with this silly flap of material (due to having to get a size to accommodate my hips, leaving lots around the waist) that makes me look like a flying squirrel. I wear corsets for that reason, and make sure they have bidirectional lacing (ie my hips are on a different set than the rest lol). most lingerie would fit me HORRIBLY).

So, what to do when your hubby knows all this? He A: takes you shopping and says "Pick out something you like" or B: takes the easy way and buys jewelry

Besides, what could be sexier than saying "Hey.. Wear this *hands over necklace*.... and nothing else"
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 10:13   Link #6929
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Besides, what could be sexier than saying "Hey.. Wear this *hands over necklace*.... and nothing else"
I've....really got to try this one sometime.
Ascaloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 10:16   Link #6930
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in the wild
Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra Send a message via Skype™ to zebra
I agree with Chey. Every girl loves shoes, but it's not just the matter of right taste and right size - they always fit differently and have to match something.

The underwear thing is a nice idea imo - you could just peek at her sizes if you're not sure, since you're living together anyway. One never has enough underwear!
But the downside is (like chey already said) most females are very picky about underwear, not just the style but the comfort, too. I lack the english terms for it, but not all types of bras are great for all kind of boobies. They have to look nice after all.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but try to fit in your choice with .. her fit. For example if she usually wears bras with wire go that line, too .. it has nothing to do with the fanciness, though.

And in my own experience ... I prefer to buy both items myself or together. They're just hard to get right xD


But on a whole different matter: ... she doesn't have basic black high heels yet? :O .... *glances at wardrope* ... nevermind.
You actually were pretty smart thinking about that, they're really handy since they fit everything and every occasion - a must have.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 11:40   Link #6931
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Before I reply to this, I'll come forward and admit I've not read Gulliver's Travels, and thus have no idea about the Houyhnhnms you mentioned. Therefore, I'm going to be speaking from a position of ignorance about said literature, and have little if any idea about what point you're making.

That said, what's the link?

How is an increasing rate of single-parent families going to lead to a dystopic utopia? For my part, I was speaking from my sociological background; the breakdown of the traditional family unit is indeed under way at least in the West, and many different types of family configurations are appearing and becoming more prevalent as the moral Zeitgeist is shifting. Personally, I don't see this as anything negative; it's all about how you work with what you've got, and the "traditional" nuclear family was a product of the advent of capitalism in any case, whatever anyone else might say.
I was assuming that you read it in Primary school and remembered because it was a children's book.

The single-parent family idea, and that the parent is financially capable, will lead to a dystopic utopia when the kid simply learns from one parent, and therefore inherit all their flaws without the other counteracting to the custodial's.

As I have been shaked like cocktail just now and my brain is still in recovery mode, I am afraid you have to read it on your own.

Wish I had a girlfriend like Shiori from Kami Nomi. Quiet, pretty and bookish.

It is not like I get to make out with her!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 13:48   Link #6932
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is not like I get to make out with her!
And yet you say that because you have a desire to do so .
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 15:54   Link #6933
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
You have to take a break from studying SOMETIME...
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 16:08   Link #6934
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I agree with Chey. Every girl loves shoes, but it's not just the matter of right taste and right size - they always fit differently and have to match something.

The underwear thing is a nice idea imo - you could just peek at her sizes if you're not sure, since you're living together anyway. One never has enough underwear!
But the downside is (like chey already said) most females are very picky about underwear, not just the style but the comfort, too. I lack the english terms for it, but not all types of bras are great for all kind of boobies. They have to look nice after all.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but try to fit in your choice with .. her fit. For example if she usually wears bras with wire go that line, too .. it has nothing to do with the fanciness, though.

And in my own experience ... I prefer to buy both items myself or together. They're just hard to get right xD


But on a whole different matter: ... she doesn't have basic black high heels yet? :O .... *glances at wardrope* ... nevermind.
You actually were pretty smart thinking about that, they're really handy since they fit everything and every occasion - a must have.
She has a couple pairs of black heels. But they don't fit her that great. Which is why I think she doesn't wear them as much.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 21:34   Link #6935
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I was assuming that you read it in Primary school and remembered because it was a children's book.

The single-parent family idea, and that the parent is financially capable, will lead to a dystopic utopia when the kid simply learns from one parent, and therefore inherit all their flaws without the other counteracting to the custodial's.
Ah. There may be something to that idea, but I'd prefer to wait until the evidence is in. As it is, not all children take after their parents, and peers become the greatest influence on a child around the teenage years in any case, so we'll see.

Quote:
As I have been shaked like cocktail just now and my brain is still in recovery mode, I am afraid you have to read it on your own.

Wish I had a girlfriend like Shiori from Kami Nomi. Quiet, pretty and bookish.
Ah, thanks. I'll get around to it soon.

And be careful what you wish for. I thought my girl was quiet, pretty and bookish, and while she certainly is all three, it takes some time together to....realize there's much more to her than that.

Quote:
It is not like I get to make out with her!
Maybe you're not approaching this the right way. Have you ever wondered why she's so free with her violence towards you. Perhaps....she's expecting you to respond in kind?

Ascaloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 21:45   Link #6936
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
She has a couple pairs of black heels. But they don't fit her that great. Which is why I think she doesn't wear them as much.
I don't blame her. Heels are a bitch to wear, even when you find a decent pair. I myself only wear them under a threat of death.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 22:37   Link #6937
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I don't blame her. Heels are a bitch to wear, even when you find a decent pair. I myself only wear them under a threat of death.
bwahaha and here, I only own 1 or 2 pairs of NON heeled shoes I'm almost never w/o heels, ranging from 2"-6" (those are platform boots, though, and suck to drive in LOL)

That being said, heels are only sexy IMO if the woman (or man) wearing them actually enjoys wearing them/is comfy. Nothing is a bigger turnoff than someone hobbling around because their feet hurt.

The same can be said for ANY article of clothing, too; I've seen people wear what SHOULD be a sexy outfit, only for their discomfort to be SO obvious, you just wanted to hand them a tshirt and sneakers.
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 23:40   Link #6938
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
bwahaha and here, I only own 1 or 2 pairs of NON heeled shoes I'm almost never w/o heels, ranging from 2"-6" (those are platform boots, though, and suck to drive in LOL)

That being said, heels are only sexy IMO if the woman (or man) wearing them actually enjoys wearing them/is comfy. Nothing is a bigger turnoff than someone hobbling around because their feet hurt.

The same can be said for ANY article of clothing, too; I've seen people wear what SHOULD be a sexy outfit, only for their discomfort to be SO obvious, you just wanted to hand them a tshirt and sneakers.
Well spoken. Seeing a girl struggle in heels is worse than not wearing them at all.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 00:15   Link #6939
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I've....really got to try this one sometime.
Most likely wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I agree with Chey. Every girl loves shoes.
I hate shoes >_>

Probably why the only high heel I have was used for when I worked in offices.




Underwear discussion: You COULD try making bras and panties yourself. Almost all of my stuff were made by Oppa (my second cousin/fiance).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 00:16   Link #6940
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Underwear discussion: You COULD try making bras and panties yourself. Almost all of my stuff were made by Oppa (my second cousin/fiance).
What? No!

As a guy who doesn't like to see a girl's boobs go out of shape, I don't believe in tying two handkerchiefs together or sewing two surgical mouth covers together to make a bra!

Then again, it isn't right for me, as a guy, to poke my nose under what a girl wears under her shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Ah. There may be something to that idea, but I'd prefer to wait until the evidence is in. As it is, not all children take after their parents, and peers become the greatest influence on a child around the teenage years in any case, so we'll see.
Unless you are talking about that kind of peers I mix with during my youth, including that girl who landed last night.

I wouldn't say they are the best influences, but they are certainly the most inspiring ones who showed me that it takes effort and courage to stand up for yourself despite being different from the norm.

When all else fails (definitely happens in Secondary schools since quite a number of teachers are just self-serving, tax-grubbing civil servants), cheat, lie, beat up or kill those that stand in your way. For that last 2 points, it applies extremely well for that madwoman.

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I'll get around to it soon.

And be careful what you wish for. I thought my girl was quiet, pretty and bookish, and while she certainly is all three, it takes some time together to....realize there's much more to her than that.
One thing I have learnt in the army is to never regret for what you wish for, but rather, make the best use out of it. Why? A wish come true is a miracle that happened, and it is called a miracle because it usually doesn't happen (quoted from Shiori Misaka from Kanon). If we don't make best use of it, it is a wish AND miracle gone to waste.

And I have also learnt a lesson regarding those kind of girls : namely the imouto. It is a scary lesson I probably won't forget.

Nonetheless, I like quiet, sweet and bookish girls. Quiet ones tend to have less social ability and are thus easy to manipulate, bookish ones are the easiest to converse with.

Though the best are still catgirl lolis with twintails. Cute, cuddly and fit nicely into your arms.

Quote:
Maybe you're not approaching this the right way. Have you ever wondered why she's so free with her violence towards you. Perhaps....she's expecting you to respond in kind?

The first time I teased her ponytail (7-8 years ago) she broke my specs in reflex. I am certainly NOT going to attempt that kind of thing again.

And come to think of it, I met her mum yesterday, who thought that I was a girl because her older daughter mentioned me as her "godsister taking care of her younger sister". And her mum bought a dress for me.

Someone please shoot me.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.