AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-01-26, 01:16   Link #7921
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Hmmmm.

I have a question. Has anyone here ever tried online dating? I mean like eHarmony and the like? If so, how'd that work out for you?
Avoid eHarmony like the black plague.

Unless you only want to date fundamentalist Christians.
Old 2011-01-26, 02:41   Link #7922
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Question: How do you tell someone you like her?
Old 2011-01-26, 02:46   Link #7923
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

You say it?

:P

Pretty much down to that.

You can try to be sneaky, but more likely she'll end up being confused rather than picking up on it.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 03:15   Link #7924
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Age 6-10: "Pinky promise when we grow up we'll get married!"
Age 11-18: Lots of hinting, sneaky way, because most guys are shy about it. If not, you can focus her and when she asks why you're always around, you can say you like her.
18+: "Nice dress...ima buy you a drrrink"
Old 2011-01-26, 05:31   Link #7925
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Avoid eHarmony like the black plague.

Unless you only want to date fundamentalist Christians.
Yeeeeeeeeah, no worries there; eHarmony has already informed me I cannot be matched. Got to have a certain sick admiration for a website that tells me I'm kind, intelligent, conscientious, and unlovable.

Or from your description, maybe they're really telling me 'you're too nice to get along with our other members'? Yeah, I like that thought better.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 13:13   Link #7926
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
I have a question. Has anyone here ever tried online dating? I mean like eHarmony and the like? If so, how'd that work out for you?
Waste of money. You have to remember that dating sites like eHarmony make money on subscription fees, so it's in their best interest to keep someone paying. If they match you up and you have a successful relationship, you'll stop paying.

I did try eHarmony for awhile several years ago, somewhat out of morbid curiosity. They have you do a questionnaire, which is supposed to help them understand your personality or some such, and then match you up with people you are supposed to be a good match for. I tended to get like 5-10 matches a day for awhile, and I responded to many of them. Some of them would respond back with the form questions, some wouldn't. But only one actually progressed to a more free-form "note-passing" kind of thing. But even that ended shortly thereafter.

Matches tended to decrease over the couple of months I was there, but honestly speaking, I have no fucking clue how they matched me up with people int he first place. Most of them I didn't seem to have anything in common with, and was probably evidenced by the fact that few hardly responded.

There was a couple notable ones that seemed to come onto me, but I was suspicious, and found out later they were fakes. Not sure if eHarmony was behind them as a way to keep me interested, but I ultimately found the service lacking.

Some might have success stories there, but I'd bet anything it's incredibly low. This guy seems to hit a lot of the points that match up with my experiences. Consumer Affairs has quite a bit of complaints regarding them as well.

In short, avoid them like the plague. The best way to meet women is while doing things you like; thus you'll automatically have something in common and something to talk about. It's not fool-proof, but it's leagues better than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Pretty much go out and do it. You're scared right now, because of the possibility of rejection, which is incredibly painful; believe me, I know.

Well, that's not entirely it; straight out telling might not be the best way, unless you have a good relationship with her first (even if it's just friendship). I'd suggest taking her out some place fun, and nearer to the end of the night, let her know.

If it's someone online and you can't get to her physical location, then wait for a chance where you two are talking and laughing about something, and ease into it. Let her know you appreciate her, that you like talking to her, and that you enjoy her company.

But yeah, it's a risk. Still, you'll never know unless you try, so good luck to you!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 13:14   Link #7927
JuGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Age 6-10: "Pinky promise when we grow up we'll get married!"
Age 11-18: Lots of hinting, sneaky way, because most guys are shy about it. If not, you can focus her and when she asks why you're always around, you can say you like her.
18+: "Nice dress...ima buy you a drrrink"
When I was 7 a girl I was friends with asked me to marry her when she "matured" (it was so funny the way she said it in hindsight ) but I was mostly scared of girls and ran away and lost contact with her. I think she even tried to write to me and I hid. I still feel real bad for that reaction even though I was just a kid, I wish I had realised that she was just showing me how much she liked me. Getting a pang of guilt even now.

This is almost sound advice but I wouldn't suggest being drunk all the time when you're and adult trying to express interest.

Quote:
Yeeeeeeeeah, no worries there; eHarmony has already informed me I cannot be matched. Got to have a certain sick admiration for a website that tells me I'm kind, intelligent, conscientious, and unlovable.

Or from your description, maybe they're really telling me 'you're too nice to get along with our other members'? Yeah, I like that thought better.
No you're definately UNLOVABLE. eHarmony is the true judge and could never be wrong. (haven't you seen all the happy couples they've created in the adverts!?) You should accept that now.
Old 2011-01-26, 13:42   Link #7928
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuGG View Post
When I was 7 a girl I was friends with asked me to marry her when she "matured" (it was so funny the way she said it in hindsight ) but I was mostly scared of girls and ran away and lost contact with her. I think she even tried to write to me and I hid. I still feel real bad for that reaction even though I was just a kid, I wish I had realised that she was just showing me how much she liked me. Getting a pang of guilt even now.
Sounds like someone needs to find this girl, profess your guilt, and ask for a second chance.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 14:00   Link #7929
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Sounds like someone needs to find this girl, profess your guilt, and ask for a second chance.
I second this motion.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:17   Link #7930
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Hmmmm.

Heheh, I trained a girl at my last job, who'd met her hubby through eHarmony...

They moved away after a few months here, and then shortly afterwards, he strangled her and put her body in a closet...

I uh... haven't recommended eharmony to anyone... o.O

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 14:17   Link #7931
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Come on guys, have you learned nothing from anime?

First there has to be a long drawn-out comedy of errors as they meet in unlikely circumstances but aren't sure about the other's identity. And at least one nose-bleed. Then they have to wait for it to snow before he can make his confession.

Let's try to have some standards here, people.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 14:18   Link #7932
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post

They moved away after a few months here, and then shortly afterwards, he strangled her and put her body in a closet...

Jeez! That's pretty damn freaky. You're not kidding, right?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 14:20   Link #7933
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:

I'm beginning to get the feeling that the only "success stories" eHarmony produces are the ones they use to make their commercials in an attempt to draw in new users. o_O
Old 2011-01-26, 14:28   Link #7934
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:

... I knew I should have clicked 'yes' on the 'kill your girlfriend' box! No wonder they couldn't match me.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:29   Link #7935
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
... I knew I should have clicked 'yes' on the 'kill your girlfriend' box! No wonder they couldn't match me.
It isn't true love until you move her away from all of her family and friends, then murder her and hide the body.

Yes, I know I'm a horrible person. I'm so sorry.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:33   Link #7936
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Hmmmm.

Never tried eHarmony, but it sounds like it's a good thing I didn't.

Match.com feels like such a long time ago. Although there was no responses directly, the random mixers at least gave an opportunity to meet the person directly. Fun for awhile but they either met beforehand, or were already occupied with someone else.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:38   Link #7937
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I'm beginning to get the feeling that the only "success stories" eHarmony produces are the ones they use to make their commercials in an attempt to draw in new users. o_O
eHarmony is secretly a program for pairing up all the crazies and getting them to wipe each other out.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:43   Link #7938
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:

To be fair, she was married to the one she loved until the day she died. And really, isn't that all any of us are asking for?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 15:01   Link #7939
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
It isn't true love until you move her away from all of her family and friends, then murder her and hide the body.

Yes, I know I'm a horrible person. I'm so sorry.
Hiding the body is how you show you really respect her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Never tried eHarmony, but it sounds like it's a good thing I didn't.

Match.com feels like such a long time ago. Although there was no responses directly, the random mixers at least gave an opportunity to meet the person directly. Fun for awhile but they either met beforehand, or were already occupied with someone else.
Actually trying match.com next. Figure it can't hurt, and at least they haven't arbitrarily declared me undateable. Yet.
Old 2011-01-26, 15:19   Link #7940
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
To be fair, she was married to the one she loved until the day she died. And really, isn't that all any of us are asking for?
"The only successful marriage ends with one of you standing over the grave of the other."

I forget which comedian said this, but it seems to apply here.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom