AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-01, 07:41   Link #8881
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
I'm tempted to say no, but it actually probably does. o_o;

(then again, I hug people and they don't seem to mind...then again, it's winter, and I'm apparently warm and cuddly...^^; )
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 07:47   Link #8882
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
I'm tempted to say no, but it actually probably does. o_o;

(then again, I hug people and they don't seem to mind...then again, it's winter, and I'm apparently warm and cuddly...^^; )
hugging random people on the street works!!!???

but only during winter!!!????

then i better move to a country with winter dammit!!!!

jk
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 07:51   Link #8883
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Just a question of curiosity, and I won't give my opinion here just yet (Kaze, if you see this, you already know what I think of this )

What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 09:12   Link #8884
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Just a question of curiosity, and I won't give my opinion here just yet (Kaze, if you see this, you already know what I think of this )

What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
Well at that point, it's about the same as dating some random broad off the street, yes?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 09:18   Link #8885
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Well at that point, it's about the same as dating some random broad off the street, yes?
In my case, we've known each other since we were very little, and my family's always been close with hers, particularly since they're....well....family So you're saying it'd be no different from dating a childhood friend, no?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 09:23   Link #8886
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
In my case, we've known each other since we were very little, and my family's always been close with hers, particularly since they're....well....family So you're saying it'd be no different from dating a childhood friend, no?
Ah, ha. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much how it is, and if you have any sort of queasy feeling about it, well, we all know where that one likely came from.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 12:12   Link #8887
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
I don't really see the attraction in going out with a girl you've known from childhood, regardless of relation. The whole westermarck thing holds true.

On the other hand, there's no hard reason not to, incest has no big effect at that level of relatedness (except when repeated several times over successive generations) so if you're both okay with it I see no reason not to...

That would even apply if you were first or second cousins too.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 12:14   Link #8888
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
In my case, we've known each other since we were very little, and my family's always been close with hers, particularly since they're....well....family So you're saying it'd be no different from dating a childhood friend, no?
It really depends on how much you view her as family...I, for one, would never even think of dating my cousins, because despite all the good fun and happy nights out, I can't think of them as anything but friends and family.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 13:13   Link #8889
Samari
World's Greatest
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
curious, doe that ever work?
99% of the time no.

Well, it's right out of the blue and you don't know her that well. If it's a girl you might be flirting with and the feeling is mutual or whatever...then a lot of girls may not have an issue with it. But really, you'd pretty much have to already be close to the point that you guys would be dating to pull off such a gesture. I guess it would be like "closing the case" after the "mission was accomplished".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't really see the attraction in going out with a girl you've known from childhood, regardless of relation. The whole westermarck thing holds true.

On the other hand, there's no hard reason not to, incest has no big effect at that level of relatedness (except when repeated several times over successive generations) so if you're both okay with it I see no reason not to...

That would even apply if you were first or second cousins too.
Eww. I could never, ever date someone I was related to.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 13:35   Link #8890
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
Notwithstanding the fact that there are some countries that allow marriages between closer relations..... I'm engaged to my second cousin.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 13:50   Link #8891
Flinch
Onii-chan~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Einzbern Castle
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch Send a message via Skype™ to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
I guess I might be one of the odd ones here if I think there's nothing wrong with dating one's cousin. If two people genuinely love each other, who's place is it to tell them it's inherently wrong? Guess I'm just really open-minded about these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
In my case, we've known each other since we were very little, and my family's always been close with hers, particularly since they're....well....family So you're saying it'd be no different from dating a childhood friend, no?
In response to that, I did go out with one of my childhood friends after senior year for about a year and a half. Even though it's over, there aren't any hard feelings and we're still both extremely close. As long as you're close to them to begin with, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (results may vary).
__________________
Flinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 14:06   Link #8892
Endless Soul
Based on a True Story
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I guess I might be one of the odd ones here if I think there's nothing wrong with dating one's cousin. If two people genuinely love each other, who's place is it to tell them it's inherently wrong? Guess I'm just really open-minded about these things.
I'm in agreement with this, so I guess I'm an odd one too.
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 14:40   Link #8893
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Historically, cousin marriages are very common.

Heck, if you go back far enough we're all related anyway.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 15:43   Link #8894
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
The level of blood between you would be so ridiculously small. If I'm reading this chart correctly, the first blood relative that you both have the same relation to would be your great-great-grandparents.

The only way I'd really see this as weird is if your families only gave birth to males up until now, allowing you both to maintain the same last name. That'd just feel a little wacky to me. Otherwise, I don't think it'd be much different from a family friend's child.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 16:10   Link #8895
blissfullyunaware
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: right there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
What's everyone's standpoint on dating your cousin given that they were third degree or below? (i.e. legal)
Although I could never bring myself to do it, I would never stop anyone else from dating whomever they wanted.
blissfullyunaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 17:34   Link #8896
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The level of blood between you would be so ridiculously small. If I'm reading this chart correctly, the first blood relative that you both have the same relation to would be your great-great-grandparents.

The only way I'd really see this as weird is if your families only gave birth to males up until now, allowing you both to maintain the same last name. That'd just feel a little wacky to me. Otherwise, I don't think it'd be much different from a family friend's child.
Did you know that Eleanor Roosevelt was a Roosevelt before she married FDR? And she didn't happen to have that second name out of coincidence...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 18:54   Link #8897
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I guess I might be one of the odd ones here if I think there's nothing wrong with dating one's cousin. If two people genuinely love each other, who's place is it to tell them it's inherently wrong? Guess I'm just really open-minded about these things.
Genetics does. First cousins still have a pretty high probability of triggering recessive traits that could lead to health issues. But if you start talking about second and third-degree cousins it starts mattering a lot less.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 19:00   Link #8898
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
dating != breeding
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 19:09   Link #8899
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Hey, if you're willing to take the risk, then you have to be willing to face the consequences. That aside, though, if you really want to be with your cousin like that and all is well on both sides of the family, then by all means go for it. By the time you reach third cousins, anyway, there should be enough genetic difference that recessive genes aren't as much as a problem as they would be in first cousins, like Dextro said.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 21:37   Link #8900
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Cousins aren't going to cause a problem; the DNA isn't similar enough. There's a strong stigma against it especially in America, yeah, but it's not equal to fucking your sister or brother.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.