AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-27, 22:52   Link #241
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
How do you foreshadow events that have already happened in the anime? ^^

Personally I'm really enjoying the flashbacks of future events they're using to force the viewers to use guesswork to fill in the missing gaps ^_^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:04   Link #242
ordnance11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I must say if they can pull this off in the series, it will be brilliant ... I love time fragmented story experiments where you have to "grok" the whole thing through spacetime to grasp the story. Its like a step above "point of view" narration where the same story gets told via different people and you have to piece it together after reading the whole thing.

The closest anime series MSH comes to ,as far as fragmentation goes in my opinion ,has to be RahXephon. Even if the story if told in a linear fashion, you keep getting the feeling you blundered into the middle of a greater story, which hooks you into the story. You keep watching the episodes from start to finish, over and over, just to pick up clues
ordnance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:23   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
It has me really interested in the episode in which we and Kyon really discover and come to grips with Haruhi actually being who she is.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:52   Link #244
melange
Reset, reset, reset...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
What impresses me is KyoAni is able to do it without a large segment of the novels' fans screaming about it. Most studios would have screwed things up by now if they changed the order of events, yet KyoAni hasn't. That shows their quality work. Besides, one could always rewatch the episodes in the order Haruhi gives in the previews so it's presented in a more linear fashion. Personally, I think linear is overrated.
Being a novel reader, I think the novel fans aren't screaming about it because...

1. To a degree thats the way the novels were written. The stories are presented to you scattered around the timeline in way as if Kyon was going, "I told you about A and then about B. Now about just before the time B happened there was this little incident called C..." The skips about the timeline Kyo-ani is doing just so happens to push this even further.

2.
Spoiler for minor hint at gist of later stories:
Thus by changing the presentation of the order of events (note that the actual chronology hasn't been changed) Kyo-ani actually plays to the strengths of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuu-utsu's source material and thus the novel fans are actually deliriously happy that they are doing so.
__________________

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:55   Link #245
Thelastguardian
...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I am a bit late, but I must confess I am also Yuki's fan .

Spoiler:


Edit: I gave this episode an 8 for two reasons.
One for the lack of Kyon's sneak remarks about all the people (including his grade 5 little sister) hitting home runs(picky I know ).
The other one is related to the thing I said above.
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-04-28 at 00:57.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 00:14   Link #246
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
What impresses me is KyoAni is able to do it without a large segment of the novels' fans screaming about it.
I'm not screaming about it because, like melange mentioned above, they didn't actually try to change the actual episode contents (ie. they didn't try to alter the baseball competition, making it look like it happened after Yuki's confession in episode 3). Instead, all they did was shuffle up the episodes and playing them in a non-chronological order. Which, for us novel fans, is a familiar sight since the novels are pretty much like this too (well, not as extreme as slipping in a side-story in the middle of another story, but close enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
I am a bit late, but I must confess I am also Yuki's fan .

Spoiler:
Spoiler for novel names:
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 00:26   Link #247
Cal-Reflector
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So without any familiarity with the background of the story whatsoever I began watching.

I confess, I'm just a little bit (just a little bit) confused, but that's quite alright I suppose.

If there's a Mikuru-faction out there (as opposed to Haruhi's), the moment I joined it was the line in episode 3 where she says to Kyon:

"Kyon-kun... if I become ruined for marriage... will you take me?"

*Cue roomful of US marines (or stereotypically hot-blooded men of action otherwise) jumping to their feet with a mighty bellow, stout hearts roused and crimson blood boiling with the chest-pounding righteous outrage to defend the Goddess of Moe in distress*

Yes, that's all I have to say.

That and my face is seriously going numb from the stupid, weirded-out grin that's been pasted on it for the past 80 minutes.
__________________
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 01:04   Link #248
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I'm not screaming about it because, like melange mentioned above, they didn't actually try to change the actual episode contents (ie. they didn't try to alter the baseball competition, making it look like it happened after Yuki's confession in episode 3). Instead, all they did was shuffle up the episodes and playing them in a non-chronological order. Which, for us novel fans, is a familiar sight since the novels are pretty much like this too (well, not as extreme as slipping in a side-story in the middle of another story, but close enough).
Most studios, doing a similiar reshuffling of events, would have changed them to some degree. It might be that the novels lend themselves to this, but KyoAni has also been able to keep things somewhat understandable to people who hadn't read the novels, shuffle the order, and not really change anything. That can't be an easy balance to maintain. You have to be very careful about what you show and when. Thinking about it that way, starting with the "movie" was a great idea. Although Itsuki and kyon's sister weren't formally introduced in the anime, we still have some idea who they are, allowing them to be used without completely throwing off everyone who hasn't read the novels.

Btw,
Spoiler for Itsuki question, though I'm not sure I really want it answered:
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 01:14   Link #249
viper
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Spoiler for Itsuki question, though I'm not sure I really want it answered:
I think his slide just ended short of second and he didn't bother to haul his ass over from the shock of the throw. Thats what I believe...
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 01:20   Link #250
mr.muffin
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Btw,
Spoiler for Itsuki question, though I'm not sure I really want it answered:
I think the runner was just totally stunned by the power of the throw. Haruhi was stunned too. She's got a pretty high tolerance for pain tho.
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 01:38   Link #251
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Btw,
Spoiler for Itsuki question, though I'm not sure I really want it answered:
I vote for what's behind door #1. Everyone involved (Kyon, Haruhi, and the poor runner from the college team) were all still in shock.

For the best viewpoint... i'd suggest 20m:18s > 20m:20s (ish). Frame advancing it in order to get the best timestamps I noticed that Kyon's hair might suddenly be a tad shorter on one side. T_T

As the ball hits Haruhi's glove (let's not ask how fast it was moving), Haruhi looks down and to her left, obviously believing she caught the ball (looks like it hurt!). The other team's runner sees the ball hit Haruhi's glove and continue flying towards Itsuki. (Actually on a frame-by-frame advance it looks a little weird). The runner appears to step onto the base, but falls backwards in suprise (That ball was moving). He actually ran past one of Haruhi's legs, which tells me he likely landed at least one foot on the base. Haruhi grins confidentaly. BTW, anyone looking for an unclaimed Haruhi siggie image should check that grin @ 20:19. I'm sure I've seen it captured somewhere, but it's a nice smile ^^

//EDIT: Nevermind, panzerfan is already working with that image on making a siggie ^^

Haruhi then looks shocked to see both the ball and glove are missing. Itsuki cathes ball and glove, checks that he has the ball, then starts to walk fast towards the camera.

Haruhi is still staring at her glove-less hand, the other team's runner is still on his rear is shock.

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-28 at 01:51.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 02:07   Link #252
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
I vote for what's behind door #1. Everyone involved (Kyon, Haruhi, and the poor runner from the college team) were all still in shock.

For the best viewpoint... i'd suggest 20m:18s > 20m:20s (ish). Frame advancing it in order to get the best timestamps I noticed that Kyon's hair might suddenly be a tad shorter on one side. T_T

As the ball hits Haruhi's glove (let's not ask how fast it was moving), Haruhi looks down and to her left, obviously believing she caught the ball (looks like it hurt!). The other team's runner sees the ball hit Haruhi's glove and continue flying towards Itsuki. (Actually on a frame-by-frame advance it looks a little weird). The runner appears to step onto the base, but falls backwards in suprise (That ball was moving). He actually ran past one of Haruhi's legs, which tells me he likely landed at least one foot on the base. Haruhi grins confidentaly. BTW, anyone looking for an unclaimed Haruhi siggie image should check that grin @ 20:19. I'm sure I've seen it captured somewhere, but it's a nice smile ^^

//EDIT: Nevermind, panzerfan is already working with that image on making a siggie ^^

Haruhi then looks shocked to see both the ball and glove are missing. Itsuki cathes ball and glove, checks that he has the ball, then starts to walk fast towards the camera.

Haruhi is still staring at her glove-less hand, the other team's runner is still on his rear is shock.
Ah yes, at full speed, it looked like he was starting to slide, but pausing it, he clearly fell back. Plus that was some throw. I can't say I blame them for being so shocked. They should have just made Yuki pitcher from the start. They probably would have been able to win without needing "homing mode". Though who could catch for her?
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 02:11   Link #253
celcius
Aspiring but lazy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Internet
Whoever it is that has to catch the ball beside the umpire (sorry, not familiar with baseball, we don't have baseball), will die a horrible death. If he/she ahppens to survive through the game, well, he/she would have his/her hands scarred for life.

Well, maybe Haruhi could.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 05:29   Link #254
Kezane
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I've just realized how ingenious this anime is.

A problem many anime suffer from is the abundance of filler, or any filler episodes at all.

If anyone had though about it, were the series played in chronological order, episode "7" would essentially have been a meaningless filler episode.

Instead, it's been transformed into a stylistic styory-telling technique, hinting at previous important events, spurring the viewer on to view the next few "previous" episodes.

From a simple filler episode into a highly entertaining episode, giving all sorts of clues about the events that happened in between, to leave the viewer guessing, and wanting more.

Genius.
Kezane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:21   Link #255
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
He calls Haruhi a "genius"! It's the end of the world! run for your lives!

*kyon runs*

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:29   Link #256
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
This is probably a marketing ploy. Buy the DVDs to see them in order or something. Episodes 2 and 3 were in order I think. Ep 00 (or 1 i think) and Ep4 were out of order.
Souten no Seigyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:32   Link #257
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku
This is probably a marketing ploy.
Best marketing ploy. EVER

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:49   Link #258
Setzu
Einherjar
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I love it. Reinforcement of characters personality through acknowledgement of the viewer, and in an episode preview no less.

When she said episode seven, she meant it folks.
Setzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:49   Link #259
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Post My post...

Nice episode... I see that they're keeping with the surprises... nice to see some new ideas in an anime... the jump in episodes is very interesting and makes for great character development...

Story... Brilliant... I would comment on it but the episode is worth 24 mil words... and I'm too lazy to write

Character development... Excellent... just the way it should be... NO X learns stuff and becomes stronger... NO Y changes his beliefs... minimal change is my favorite type of character development ... just show me some new character characteristic from time to time and I'll be happy

Humor... Perfect... first time an anime made me Laugh Out Loud (... I think this is so common for this anime that it’s becoming a cliché in this thread...)

Fanservice... Perfect... since I didn't notice any cheesy "she's sexy" crap... it's perfect for me

Kyons Opinions... Good... need more damit

Added up... with my own personal math system ... I say the episode was Excellent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezane
From a simple filler episode into a highly entertaining episode, giving all sorts of clues about the events that happened in between, to leave the viewer guessing, and wanting more.
Lets hope they end it wide open as well... just not too wide open

... Considering the current episode progress... can anyone estimate how many episodes they can make out off the novels ?... I remember reading a post saying that the anime is going to be a nice 13 episodes... but I'm wondering how many they can make...

And one more thing ... are the novels finished (complete) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
He calls Haruhi a "genius"! It's the end of the world! run for your lives!
... when I read it I thought he was referring to himself...
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 08:20   Link #260
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Humor... Perfect... first time an anime made me Laugh Out Loud (... I think this is so common for this anime that it’s becoming a cliché in this thread...)

Fanservice... Perfect... since I didn't notice any cheesy "she's sexy" crap... it's perfect for me
Well on that first line; I have never laughed so much during any other series I've watched. And yeah, its the throw-back-head laugh-out-loud kind of laugh.

About fanservice, do you know the part that scared me most in this episode?



See the close proximity of Mikuru-chan to Haruhi? I was actually fearing another xxx exploitation of Mikuru-chan by Haruhi to procure the field. Remember the I've-caught-you-on-camera moment in the computer lab in Ep3?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.