AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-25, 00:00   Link #21
abubo

Just watched the first episode... nice serious anime, will be following it.
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 01:16   Link #22
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
My only problem with it is that it's using HK DVD raws

HK DVDs are the devil

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 02:28   Link #23
drvtech

Tofu:

Actually we're not using HK DVD raws. We're not using DVD raws at all. During an ep of Ultra Maniac, it had an ad saying Ayatsuri Sakon would be re-aired. We all saw this (well zalas mostly) and decided that would be the best time to get the raws and so we did. So if you notice, all our sakon should have the animax logo on it.
drvtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 02:50   Link #24
Anax
Animefactory Encoder

I've watched a good chunk of this series from VHS subs (sadly, I lost my copies a while back. ) It's an enjoyable series, although... well, I don't recall a single story that didn't involved a locked room puzzle. And really, more variety would have been nice.

Regardless, I'm happy to see it back again, and I look forward to replacing my lost subs.
Anax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 18:41   Link #25
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
My only problem with it is that it's using HK DVD raws

HK DVDs are the devil

-Tofu
Well, if it hadn't been that reairing, we would have not been able to get any usable raws, unless I somehow got very rich, went to Japan, and found the DVD set in a used anime shop ^^;
And yeah, HK DVDs suck, since their picture quality is generally poor, and you're giving money to people who are running an illegal business.

bokutachi no RAWS wa YOI RAWS (okay, maybe not that great, but it's good enough ^^
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 20:22   Link #26
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Ohh, I see... I forgot about Animax... That station is pretty cool, they replay a lot of old shows. I remember they were airing Cat's Eye, Orange Road, and Creamy Mami

BTW, the Ayatsuri Sakon DVDs can be found for CHEAP in Japan. I had the opportunity to buy the entire R2 set for around $130-140 on multiple occasions... Lots of used copies of it floating around in Tokyo.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 03:21   Link #27
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
Saw the fansubs of this and I must say that it looks VERY good. The whole take on it is refreshing. I'm definately looking forward to more of this series.
Tenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 04:45   Link #28
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Ayatsuri Sakon is an excellent detective series that strikes a good balance between dark and light moments, and it has good artwork to boot (to me, Conan was too kiddy artwork-wise, and Kindaichi was too light-hearted to have any "oomph" factor)! It is slightly disturbing at first to see Sakon depend so heavily on his alter ego slash doll sidekick, but it is an interesting take on the rather stale two-faced detective stereotype.

I've only read the manga (a long time ago at that...), so seeing the animated version will be a real treat. ^_^

::prods drvtech for a nepotistic send of released eps (+ raws ^_~)::
Old 2003-12-26, 06:00   Link #29
Animonger
Gama-Bunta

Send a message via AIM to Animonger Send a message via MSN to Animonger
.........oO;

Last edited by Animonger; 2003-12-26 at 07:57.
Animonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 02:05   Link #30
K_R
also known as K!

Some of the raws have bad IVTC, and thus jerky motion (episode 2, for example). Can't be help, unfortunately.

Also, any feedback on how we are doing the show (typesetting, for example) is welcome.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 02:45   Link #31
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat
Ayatsuri Sakon is an excellent detective series that strikes a good balance between dark and light moments, and it has good artwork to boot (to me, Conan was too kiddy artwork-wise, and Kindaichi was too light-hearted to have any "oomph" factor)! It is slightly disturbing at first to see Sakon depend so heavily on his alter ego slash doll sidekick, but it is an interesting take on the rather stale two-faced detective stereotype.
Actually I had an different reaction to the way he depends on his puppet. Most detective characters have an assistant like Sherlock Holmes had Watson. They have someone to say the obvious things while the master stays aloof for the final show down. In this show, he is his own sidekick!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 04:56   Link #32
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Actually I had an different reaction to the way he depends on his puppet. Most detective characters have an assistant like Sherlock Holmes had Watson. They have someone to say the obvious things while the master stays aloof for the final show down. In this show, he is his own sidekick!
Either Sakon has a serious case of displaced multiple personality disorder or Ukon is a possessed puppet. I haven't read the manga or watched past episode 3 (!), so it's pure speculation, but my money's on the possession.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 05:21   Link #33
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Either Sakon has a serious case of displaced multiple personality disorder or Ukon is a possessed puppet. I haven't read the manga or watched past episode 3 (!), so it's pure speculation, but my money's on the possession.
Maybe he's just a great actor?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-27, 23:55   Link #34
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Well, I'd speculate that it's a weird case of MPD.
Since Sakon uses the 'left' kanji and Ukon uses the 'right' kanji, they may be two halves of the same person. (Disclaimer: only watched ep 1) Notice how Ukon seems to be the frivolous and eccentric side of a person, whereas Sakon is more modest and better behaved. To make it a stretch, Sakon might embody the 'mind' part of a body whereas Ukon would embody the 'heart' part of a body.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 00:05   Link #35
sakon
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Well, I'd speculate that it's a weird case of MPD.
Since Sakon uses the 'left' kanji and Ukon uses the 'right' kanji, they may be two halves of the same person. (Disclaimer: only watched ep 1) Notice how Ukon seems to be the frivolous and eccentric side of a person, whereas Sakon is more modest and better behaved. To make it a stretch, Sakon might embody the 'mind' part of a body whereas Ukon would embody the 'heart' part of a body.
First I'll say Hi since I am new here...

Okay, in response to zalas, that is pretty much the general concensus (sp?) amongst the Sakon fans. The idea of possession is a pretty strong one too. There is a storyarc in the manga that was not animated but was made into a cd drama that tells the origins of Ukon , his creator, and the person who inspired his creation. And often Sakon confronts the murderer(s) by "channeling" one of the victims' spirits into Ukon. But since none of us knows for sure... we'll believe what we like the most.

I have (had, they got borrowed) the first fansubs done of this series and can't wait to see the ones you have done here. You have my eternal thanks already for the bunraku joruri scene. I don't know if you have the entire series already, but if not I have the vhs releases...
sakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 22:43   Link #36
Shizo

Ah... the opening is sung by the same group that sang for Macross 7 songs.
Shizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 23:47   Link #37
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

OMFG PUPPET MASTER SAKON!
I saw this on subbed VHS a hile while ago!
its lot o' god mystery and blood and death and and, gruesomness!! lol. It's great!
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 23:51   Link #38
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

another thing.
This series gets really repetitive later on.
My favorite part of the series is the 'teenage-girl actor'
and her manager who is actually her um
Spoiler:
and she had
Spoiler:

My details might be off since its been ages since I seen it!
I must dl now lol.

I'm open to questions on the series, lol,
i;ve seen around 16eps [or less...hm]

let see

story 1: 3 parts
story 2: 3 parts
3 parts...
3parts...

around 14-16 eps...very good ^^
hope digisub quality is better then VHS
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 01:25   Link #39
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Ok call me dumb or whatnot, but the group doing the vhs subs are different from Seichi right? If so, is Seichi still doing the series or is Misc doing it now instead?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 01:37   Link #40
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Seichi is still doing the show. As for the other, somone has converted an old VHS dub of the show into an avi file. It is not currently being subbed by this unknown group even though their work is becoming available on the net for the very first time.

Seichi will continue the show independantly of the other. Seichi intends to continue to the end. it is unknown if the other group ever finished or if the person converting it to avi intends to finish converting all the episodes that they did.