AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-05-01, 23:01   Link #261
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Time fer clarifications:
These mkv files are playing, with subtitles. The consistency of that error just suggests to me that something is wrong with fontconfig.
I have sub fonts set to none in the General tab, my current parameters are "-ass -embeddedfonts -sid 0" in the Advanced... fontconfig is loaded by default when you toggle on -ass, it seems.
X11 was always installed, I just mentioned XCode because the material I could find on compiling fontconfig myself mentined needing XCode. Merely pointing out that it's way too huge for me to install just to see if it clears up this bug.

This isn't a huge bug, it'd just be nice if we could make fontconfig happy. Well that and spamming the Console a bit less.
Old 2007-05-02, 00:47   Link #262
thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
This isn't a huge bug, it'd just be nice if we could make fontconfig happy. Well that and spamming the Console a bit less.
Try this: create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist (the directory probably doesn't exist) and then copy-and-paste the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>FONTCONFIG_PATH</key>
	<string>/etc/fonts</string>
</dict>
</plist>
You have to log out and log in again. Maybe this does the trick.

Last edited by thr; 2007-05-02 at 02:02.
Old 2007-05-02, 06:32   Link #263
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ mukansa

Does it actually play the file at all? Is it rendering subs, or does it just play the audio/video with no substream?

-Andiyar

Last edited by andiyar; 2007-05-02 at 07:27.
Old 2007-05-02, 08:56   Link #264
Nonezumi

@ mukansa as well:

I've uploaded the font config folder I used to compile the Intel Binary with to see if that helps you. Unarchive this in the root folder of your Mac. Make sure you don't have an /opt/local/etc/fonts folder beforehand, or this will clobber it!

http://www.itsamouse.com/OSX/opt.tar.gz

Can you let me know how you get on?
Old 2007-05-02, 11:04   Link #265
thr

A possible permanent solution would be to take the gimp-app route:

- Compile a custom version of the GUI where the call to mplayer is changed to include the environment variable FONTCONFIG_PATH; FONTCONFIG_PATH should reference a directory /etc/fonts inside the application bundle
- Copy Mac OS X's /etc/fonts folder (actually just fonts.conf and fonts.dtd are needed) into the MPlayer application bundle
Old 2007-05-02, 19:51   Link #266
BOZZY

Got a bit of a problem running mplayer lately. I've had mplayer abnormally terminate when I add some videos to the playlist, however usually its back to normal when I restart the player. For some reason however, videos won't play at all unless I switch the video setting to CoreVideo rather than Mplayer OSX.

Any ideas on how can I fix this? I've even tried removing the old Mplayer I had and replaced it with the new 1.0rc1 version that's posted a few posts back and I still have the same problem.
Old 2007-05-03, 05:27   Link #267
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
Got a bit of a problem running mplayer lately. I've had mplayer abnormally terminate when I add some videos to the playlist, however usually its back to normal when I restart the player. For some reason however, videos won't play at all unless I switch the video setting to CoreVideo rather than Mplayer OSX.

Any ideas on how can I fix this? I've even tried removing the old Mplayer I had and replaced it with the new 1.0rc1 version that's posted a few posts back and I still have the same problem.
I have to admit, I just ignore the playlist, as it never seems to do what I want it to anyway. And as for CoreVideo? I use that instead of MPlayer OSX video setting, as it seems when I'm trying to fullscreen on the secondary display (I output it to my TV) that's the only driver which handles things OK. (The OSX driver simply gives a blank screen)

These issues seem more with the MPlayer front-end rather than the mplayer software itself, and this is an area no-one on this board has even looked at to my knowledge.
Old 2007-05-05, 11:05   Link #268
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Update-o-rama, problems solved.

I grabbed Nonezumi's directory zip, tossed it into /, and it solved the problem with config. Not a tough fix at all, though having an external dependency is still kind of... a bummer (EllenFeissTM). How hard would it be to simply tell fontconfig to use the existing file at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf? Since that file is almost certain to exist...

Andiyar - I have been playing softsubbed mkvs with a good deal of success. The log has been spitting out a lot of font-related errors though, and the missing config seemed like the logical first step to bugfix.

Moving onto the next bugfix... underneath the point where it used to spit out the missing config error, has been the following text:
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
In another thread there's a line telling you to download an arial.ttf font from the mplayer home site, for the life of me I couldn't find it though. The trouble is that OSX doesn't use ttf fonts, it uses dfont wrappers to manage ttf families. And I don't have a Bitstream Vera Sans font as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread. My solution is as follows:
Spoiler for Detailed instructions:

That should take care of the missing subfont bug. Right now I removed all the Advanced parameters and stuck 'em into the ~/.mplayer/config file, it looks like this:
ass=1
embeddedfonts=1
sid=0
The only troubles that seem to be popping up now are ones related to specific files, like badly named enclosed fonts, that sort of thing. Well, there's still
*** Assertion failure in -[NSTextFieldCell _objectValue:forString:errorDescription:], AppKit.subproj/NSCell.m:1298
but I think that has to do with the mplayer source, hafta get with the creators to fix that one.
Old 2007-05-05, 18:46   Link #269
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ mukansa

Can you try running the binary in Rosetta for me as well, and see if it spits out the same kinds of errors? I'm curious to see if the PPC dependencies are a bit different here - looking at my console, I can't see anything like what's been happening to you, so I'm a bit puzzled

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-06, 01:41   Link #270
thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
I grabbed Nonezumi's directory zip, tossed it into /, and it solved the problem with config. Not a tough fix at all, though having an external dependency is still kind of... a bummer (EllenFeissTM). How hard would it be to simply tell fontconfig to use the existing file at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf? Since that file is almost certain to exist...
Set the environment variable FONTCONFIG_PATH. See my above posts for a permanent solution. Almost any software ported from Linux and released as an application bundle does it that way (e.g. gimp-app, Inkscape). For MPlayer you'd have to change a few bits in the GUI source code.

Quote:
Moving onto the next bugfix... underneath the point where it used to spit out the missing config error, has been the following text:

If MPlayer is compiled with fontconfig support, you can simply tell it to use any available font by specifying font='font name' in your config file.
Old 2007-05-06, 21:49   Link #271
dchiu7

Thanks so much for the player! It works perfectly with my mkv files. The only problem I have is when i try to play avi files there are weird sound glitches. Is that a known problem and are there any ways to fix that? Thanks.
Old 2007-05-08, 12:05   Link #272
macanimefan

thanks for posting this

I'd downloaded a movie I'd missed at the film festival (toki wo kakero shoujo) that everyone who'd attended said was great. I found it as a torrent but could NOT get VLC player to play the stupid subtitles properly, was having problems with Mplayer "as is" but found this board and read the info, and it looks like I should have no trouble playing it with this version of Mplayer.

Many thanks for your hard work in getting this all to come together. I still do not understand exactly WHAT the advantage is with MKV files, but more and more fansub groups are using them, so to me it's better to adapt and overcome than complain.
Old 2007-05-08, 12:25   Link #273
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by macanimefan View Post
I still do not understand exactly WHAT the advantage is with MKV files, but more and more fansub groups are using them, so to me it's better to adapt and overcome than complain.
Simply put:
  • better video through proper h.264 support.
  • ability to have multiple audio streams.
  • ability to have multiple soft-subtitle streams. This also saves some bits which can be spent on video quality.
  • Variable Framerate, which translates to smooth pans instead of jerky ones.
  • chapters, meaning you can skip the OP at the push of a button (try ! and @ in mplayer).
  • native support for any semi-famous audio codec.
Old 2007-05-08, 12:52   Link #274
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchiu7 View Post
Thanks so much for the player! It works perfectly with my mkv files. The only problem I have is when i try to play avi files there are weird sound glitches. Is that a known problem and are there any ways to fix that? Thanks.
This does seem to be an issue with mplayer in the recent builds. I built the Intel part of the MPlayer package, and I also suffer with this through AVIs. Seems to be something to do with MP3 decoding, but given this is a known issue with some users, I've sat on it for the time being and just use VLC when I play AVI files (and it doesn't affect ALL AVI's either)

As for the .mplayer config.... Andiyar: Do you reckon we could knock together an applescript which creates the correct .mplayer hierarchy in the current user's homedir to set all the config defaults? Might eliminate the need to set up the additional parameters from the front-end.
Old 2007-05-08, 18:30   Link #275
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Since you've been mentioning weird glitching MP3 decoding (which in my own experience usually results from encodes that fail), have you tried using any of the other MP3 decoders? The default is mp3lib but you can also use ffmp3. Libmad is the only other one that comes to mind but it doesn't come with mplayer and needs to be compiled separately, which isn't that difficult.
Old 2007-05-09, 13:56   Link #276
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Missing arial.ttf? Look here.

BTW, that site claims these fonts are freely available, but the copy of Arial on that site has this notice:

Typeface © The Monotype Corporation plc. Data © The Monotype Corporation plc/Type Solutions Inc. 1990-1992. All Rights Reserved

You've been warned.

Once you've downloaded the TrueType font of your choice, place it in /home/yourusername/.mplayer/ and rename it to subfont.ttf. That solves the problem for me on Linux, and I'd bet it works on Mac OS.

If you have ever bought a licensed copy of Windows 98 or later, you have a license to use these fonts. In fact, if you still have a Windows machine, you can just copy the TrueType fonts from Windows to your Mac. Of course, to be fully-compliant, you need to delete the font from the Windows machine after you copy it. As for me, I just have them all in a directory on my server since I've bought umpty-gazillion copies of Windows and have only one installed copy at the moment.
Old 2007-05-10, 17:18   Link #277
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Since you've been mentioning weird glitching MP3 decoding (which in my own experience usually results from encodes that fail), have you tried using any of the other MP3 decoders? The default is mp3lib but you can also use ffmp3. Libmad is the only other one that comes to mind but it doesn't come with mplayer and needs to be compiled separately, which isn't that difficult.
I've re-encoded the Mplayer binary using libmad now. There should be a new version of the Universal Binary out soon with any luck. The bigger issue I had was making sure that MPlayer used to damn thing in preference to its default libraries, but still passed over to the default libraries if the file didn't have mp3 audio.

Mplayer's instructions really suck...
Old 2007-05-10, 22:38   Link #278
Nicholi
King of Hosers

My partial contribution to any MPlayer builders out there, but thank the guy who worked out the madness for it to work (Alan Nisota). CoreAVC in MPlayer patch. This does not include CoreAVC, simply fixes bits in the dshow loader code in order to make use of it. You can find his notes on the patch in the february and march archives of mplayer-dev-eng. I simply took the final patches he shared (Take 3) and combined them into one patch, since some of it was actually committed to SVN.

I have personally emailed him on account of a problem using -correct-pts with -vc coreavc (it doesn't work :P) and to ask if he has any new updates perhaps. As far as I have seen it works beautifully in win32 builds with CoreAVC 0.0.0.4 (requires no registry entries) and also latest CoreAVC Pro. This more of if anything is really only useful as another alternative for anyone with slower CPUs that has purchased (lawl) CoreAVC.
Old 2007-05-11, 23:31   Link #279
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Missing arial.ttf? Look here.
The basic problem for MacOSX is that OSX doesn't use Truetype fonts directly. It uses its own format (foo.dfont) whose advantage seems to be that it allows for bundling of Truetype font families into a single file. Unfortunately it means needing something like that little app I described to extract the .ttf files so that mplayer can use them. The only fonts I have that are in standard Truetype format are a handful of obscure non-English ones.
Old 2007-05-13, 12:10   Link #280
FTV

I finally got subtitles working but I have one little problem. The subtitles are really small! I can just barely read them sitting close to the screen. Is there a parameter to make them bigger? Thanks!

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate