AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-11-25, 01:20   Link #521
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Hrm, actually was there a compiled version of Mplayer RC2 posted here? Couldn't find it.
Yah it's right in the first post.
Old 2007-11-25, 01:32   Link #522
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
Yah it's right in the first post.
That's the RC1 build though. The official website has the RC2 sourcecode.

No biggie. Thanks anyway
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 01:43   Link #523
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Oh hmm I thought it was RC2. Whoops my bad.
Old 2007-11-25, 04:37   Link #524
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Has anyone here played D.Grayman from Black-Order (the .mp4 versions) successfully? Quicktime with Perian states that there's incorrect header information and won't play it at all. mPlayer plays the video properly, but the audio has that odd scrambling noise every second or so (tried using both the official mPlayer and Nonezumi's build). When the parameters are enabled the distortion blips occur every 1-2 seconds; disabling the parameters causes totally messed up sound.

Opening the video in Realplayer yields no video, but flawless audio. This leads me to believe that the problem is not with the video, but with the players. Advice?
Old 2007-11-25, 07:07   Link #525
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Has anyone here played D.Grayman from Black-Order (the .mp4 versions) successfully? Quicktime with Perian states that there's incorrect header information and won't play it at all. mPlayer plays the video properly, but the audio has that odd scrambling noise every second or so (tried using both the official mPlayer and Nonezumi's build). When the parameters are enabled the distortion blips occur every 1-2 seconds; disabling the parameters causes totally messed up sound.

Opening the video in Realplayer yields no video, but flawless audio. This leads me to believe that the problem is not with the video, but with the players. Advice?
I just downloaded Episode 58 (.mp4), and VLC plays it perfectly.
Discerptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 07:56   Link #526
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
Like what he said, VLC should solve it.

It may not have a pretty interface, but it's one of the best players out there. =)

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 13:58   Link #527
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Like what he said, VLC should solve it.

It may not have a pretty interface, but it's one of the best players out there. =)

Well, actually, one of the reasons this thread exists in the first place is that VLC can't handle the increasingly popular softsub tracks in MKV files properly (on the Mac, only specially configured MPlayer, and Perian more recently, can do that). However, it is true that VLC will play pretty much anything else. And unlike MPlayer, VLC actually has fullscreen mouse controls (on Mac anyway; I heard from a friend that VLC doesn't have this feature on Windows, which baffles me...).
Old 2007-11-25, 15:03   Link #528
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Geh, I was hoping to avoid having yet another media player on this system. It'd be nice to have one for everything as far as video goes... ah well, I'll go with that for now. If anyone has a workaround for mPlayer or Quicktime+Perian, please post
Old 2007-11-26, 09:41   Link #529
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
Oh hmm I thought it was RC2. Whoops my bad.
Actually, I've passed back a version which has RC2 in it on the Intel side to Andiyar a while back. We're just waiting on him being less busy and be able to get the PPC side updated as well.

I moved to Leopard a couple of weeks back, so I've not rebuilt since, primarily since MacPorts hasn't officially been certified with it yet.

I know MPlayer can be a pain, but at least in my experience it's handled all that's been thrown at it.

If anyone with an Intel-based Mac wants to update their MPlayer up to the more recent build I made, they can grab it at http://www.itsamouse.com/OSX/MPlayer%20OSX.zip

Expand that file and drag the executable into your Applications folder, replacing the existing (after renaming the original, of course!)

PLEASE NOTE: You will still have to follow the instructions on the first post in this thread if you have not installed MPlayer before.

(Finally, as a nice side-effect, it should stop problems which PPC users have with libmad audio, but aside from that nothing else is different in the PPC side of things)
Nonezumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 17:39   Link #530
sk3

Hello

I tought macports was leopard compatible by now.

Anyway, i experienced some problems with the fonts with Leopard. I've installed on the past Sunday. Everything looks pretty normal except the problem with the fonts.

It happen the same with tiger, and with QT+Perian the fonts worked correctly so... i searched around the file system and found that fonts.conf that Leopard uses with mplayer is located at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts . since the confs where outdated(much less fonts), i made a hardlink to point to both fonts.conf and fonts.dtd located at /opt/local/etc/fonts.

I also modified the fonts.conf to include fonts in ~/Library/Fonts

No problems found so far (actually i tried installing fontconfig and freetype from macports but uninstalled it right after got installed lol)

I did a fc-cache -r on Terminal to update my font list and got it working.

I was getting problems with Minami-ke from Ayako (H264) with the Century font. Now i have it all like i got on Tiger

offtopic: Nonezumi did you notice any increase in memory comsumption in general with Leopard?
sk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 17:47   Link #531
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Personally, I get the .avi files, usually encoded in XviD, convert it to DivX using a converter, then play it on my DivX player.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 18:49   Link #532
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Personally, I get the .avi files, usually encoded in XviD, convert it to DivX using a converter, then play it on my DivX player.
Um, yeah. You said that a page back, didn't you?

Still seems a lot of effort, especially since your last solution still involved the use of a Windows-based computer, and not everyone here has access to that?
Old 2007-11-27, 18:57   Link #533
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
Hello

I tought macports was leopard compatible by now.

Anyway, i experienced some problems with the fonts with Leopard. I've installed on the past Sunday. Everything looks pretty normal except the problem with the fonts.

It happen the same with tiger, and with QT+Perian the fonts worked correctly so... i searched around the file system and found that fonts.conf that Leopard uses with mplayer is located at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts . since the confs where outdated(much less fonts), i made a hardlink to point to both fonts.conf and fonts.dtd located at /opt/local/etc/fonts.

I also modified the fonts.conf to include fonts in ~/Library/Fonts

No problems found so far (actually i tried installing fontconfig and freetype from macports but uninstalled it right after got installed lol)

I did a fc-cache -r on Terminal to update my font list and got it working.

I was getting problems with Minami-ke from Ayako (H264) with the Century font. Now i have it all like i got on Tiger

offtopic: Nonezumi did you notice any increase in memory comsumption in general with Leopard?
Strange, really. I installed the build Andiyar and I made straight onto a fresh install of Leopard, and had no font issues at all - just seemed to fire up fine.

Not investigated Macports on Leopard simply as they've not 'officially' said it works; there have been some issues reported still. Might give it a go sooner or later, but while the build has been reasonably stable there's been little point.

Oh, and I've noticed the memory is hungrier, yes, but it didn't seem by much, and with 2Gb I've not really noticed it. But I kinda balanced that a bit with a faster internal HDD, so if there was a bit of a loss, that goes some minor way to redress the balance.
Old 2007-11-27, 23:52   Link #534
bchan009

The version of Mplayer OS X on this page has worked great for me for a long time, but it lags a lot when playing high-definition mkv files...is there any way to fix this?

I'm running a Macbook Pro that can play the same files just fine with Media Player Classic on Windows, so I know for a fact that CPU speed isn't a problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?
bchan009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 05:26   Link #535
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchan009 View Post
The version of Mplayer OS X on this page has worked great for me for a long time, but it lags a lot when playing high-definition mkv files...is there any way to fix this?

I'm running a Macbook Pro that can play the same files just fine with Media Player Classic on Windows, so I know for a fact that CPU speed isn't a problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?
That has to do with the difference in efficiency between the codecs you're using in ffdshow and the ones you have to use on OS X. Your best bet is to add in "-framedrop" with the other arguments in "Additional parameters."
Old 2007-11-28, 06:14   Link #536
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
That has to do with the difference in efficiency between the codecs you're using in ffdshow and the ones you have to use on OS X. Your best bet is to add in "-framedrop" with the other arguments in "Additional parameters."
...It also may be worth having an experiment with the Video Out Module as well - I tend to find Core Video Beta works best for me, but your mileage may vary.

I can play most HD files (original low-end Macbook Pro with 2GHz Core Duo) , but I do get the very occasional frameskip, which can be minimised just by having as few other things going on on the computer at the same time.
Old 2007-11-28, 16:58   Link #537
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
Strange, really. I installed the build Andiyar and I made straight onto a fresh install of Leopard, and had no font issues at all - just seemed to fire up fine.

Not investigated Macports on Leopard simply as they've not 'officially' said it works; there have been some issues reported still. Might give it a go sooner or later, but while the build has been reasonably stable there's been little point.

Oh, and I've noticed the memory is hungrier, yes, but it didn't seem by much, and with 2Gb I've not really noticed it. But I kinda balanced that a bit with a faster internal HDD, so if there was a bit of a loss, that goes some minor way to redress the balance.
Maybe it broke something when i installed it with macports.

As for now, im using your latest build on Leopard with no problems.

Btw, with Core Video Beta isn't supposed to use hardware accelerated video? That should help reducing the cpu usage. Don't know if Leopard supports video acceleration on my 8600m gt lol
Old 2007-11-29, 16:52   Link #538
Solecs

so, I've been happy with mplayer osx for a while now but it suddenly decided to be problematic recently. As far as I can tell the GUI isn't working right, no idea why though. It was working last week and then stopped working this week, for no apparent reason.

I figure its the GUI since I can still use the mplayer...uh....executable? from the command line in the terminal just fine, but when I try to use the GUI version it either crashes, or only plays audio. So far I've tried the official RC1 build, the build in this thread, and my own build on my machine all with no avail. Anybody else having this problem? Running on a 1st gen Macbook Pro 2GHz w/ leopard (10.5.1).

Also, for those of you who are having trouble with HD material. I found that using some extra options in the additional parameters helped. I've used the "-lavdopts" parameter with the "fast" and the "skiploopfilter=default" or "skiploopfilter=nonref" options. This can sometimes result in not perfect video quality, but it's at least smooth for me and plenty watchable. Your mileage may vary though, you can read about those and other options in the mplayer manual found here -> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html.

By the way, anybody know the status of hardware decoding support in OS X? I know many of the vid cards have it, but I don't know if it's supported in the OS now. That would be another reason why playback is faster in Windows I believe.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 20:35   Link #539
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I've seen people ask about hardware decoding (decoding of H.264 from the graphics card, rather than purely from the processor) in a lot of places. The general consensus is that very, very few applications can use it. As of now it's largely limited to DVD player software. As you can probably tell from the name, that software isn't generally or easily used to play from non-DVD sources. No software players aside from those few corporate ones are able to make use of graphics card decoding support. That's how it currently is on the Windows side, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

As for how it is on the Mac, I'm not so sure. All of the Leopard stuff about utilizing the graphics card more was for GUI elements, if I'm not mistaken, rather than things like playing video. I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear that most software players are able to call on the graphics card, but as of now I don't think it's happening.
Old 2007-12-01, 04:44   Link #540
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've seen people ask about hardware decoding (decoding of H.264 from the graphics card, rather than purely from the processor) in a lot of places. The general consensus is that very, very few applications can use it. As of now it's largely limited to DVD player software. As you can probably tell from the name, that software isn't generally or easily used to play from non-DVD sources. No software players aside from those few corporate ones are able to make use of graphics card decoding support. That's how it currently is on the Windows side, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

As for how it is on the Mac, I'm not so sure. All of the Leopard stuff about utilizing the graphics card more was for GUI elements, if I'm not mistaken, rather than things like playing video. I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear that most software players are able to call on the graphics card, but as of now I don't think it's happening.
Well, i say hardware decoding on mac side is far easier to do than on windows.

Let's look at Pixelmator, a Photoshop like app for mac that uses Core Image to do effects. I haven't seen something like it on windows, and i don't think there will be a "directX enabled Photoshop version" on windows Vista soon. So i say, Mac OS X has far better Frameworks to get the most out of your hardware in some situations. It's not like it's the best, but i guess Core Frameworks are well designed, and with the introduction of Core Animation with Leopard it boosts Mac OS X to be a perfect Development Station. I think DirectX is getting too "greedy". I see OpenGL less "resource hog" than DirectX.

Sorry for the offtopic

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate