AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-20, 14:15   Link #1
Zulfi

is your comp running slower after usin bt?

I set up ABC on my girl's comp, and after it started runnin slow.
I think I worked out why,
ABC by default comes set up to transfer over ports 6881-6999.

her origo adsl router only supports opening ports one at a time, not ranges, so I manually opened 6881-6889, I'm not gonna open 118 indiviually.

so I had ABC set up for ports 6881-6999, with a router only open on 6881-6889.

I just changed ABC's setting to only transfer over 6881-6889. Now her comp runs smoothly again.

I also remember that the welchia worm virus pinged to all ports, which ate up people's cpu power and made their comps run slow, and couldn't connect to the net. So I'm wondering if ABC was doing a similar thing. (over ports 6890=6999)

Anyway even if my reasoning is f'ed up, her comp is running much better, so anyone out there with a "my comp is slow/freezes" etc prob, try this out. it's not particularily risky or hard.

oh and p.s. always make sure internet connection firewall (microsoft) is off if u got another software/hardware firewall up, restart yer client, see if downloads go faster. ESPECIALLY if u been using the network wizard, cos it'll switch ICF on, and u may not realize it. ha ha I just worked out this on her comp too...
Zulfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 21:25   Link #2
Zulfi

oh yeah if anyone else got any tips on performance issues related to usin bt clients please post! thanx. in fact I think I'll make a post for that... in general bit torrent
Zulfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 22:52   Link #3
Phatspoonie

ya, i've been having the same problem: slow downloads and slow comp after opening only ports 6881-6889 and realizing i had 6881-6999 all open. Did what you said and Hopefully this will work out nicely and my downloads (0kbs-10kbs) will jump up so i can finally watch my episodes
thanks for the nice post, good to see other ppl have same problems as me and work em out and let us know too. Hopefully this will be the last step
Phatspoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 00:36   Link #4
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
does your internet go slower or your whole computer?
Old 2004-01-01, 00:41   Link #5
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

I'm using Origo router as well,

*image removed*

I also noticed that the bt port range that I set in ABC has to be the same as the port range that i set in my router or the torrent wont turn out *green*

Last edited by bOcyOgl; 2004-01-03 at 11:07. Reason: removed image
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 15:24   Link #6
Phatspoonie

Both, my laptop has been unusually slow recently. Like to open Explorer, it'll take a while before the window will pop up. Internet connection also seems to be slow, but might just be my Servicers problem (Comcast). My Internet speed has bounced around since opening up my ports 8881-8889. Its gone from absolutely no connection to small to like a 56k speed (and i have cable). I also noticed my bit torrent ports were open to 8881-8999, and changed those to match my router but if anything, my connections seem to have gotten slower.
Currently, I am using a connection, straight from the cable modem, excluding the router, and the speed seems much better than if i was to let it go through the router (im able to go on aim, have BT open, and visit websites vs. just having BT download at very slow speeds)
Don't know if this just has been a series of coincidences merged with some poor current connection problems with my provider, or if BT (or changing router settings) has seriously affected my laptop speed and internet connection.

EDIT: i noticed my computer and cable connection speeds dramatically decrease only when i open up BitTorrent ( i use Torrent Storm) maybe i should switch clients? but i am sure its torrent storm, not comcast company thats slowing down connection and latoptop

EDIT2: haha, i tried downloading another file using reg Bittorrent 3.3 and the file is at 123kbs but when i open other naruto files they still go at like 4kbs =internet slows down but thats reasonable considering downloads and uploads=and comp hasnt slowed down. I think im just gonna stick with downloading a couple files at a time, and find another client than STORM to keep it simple

Last edited by Phatspoonie; 2004-01-01 at 19:05.
Old 2004-01-02, 15:32   Link #7
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

How do you manually open ports on your PC?
Old 2004-01-02, 18:52   Link #8
mokona76

i could use that info 2
mokona76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-02, 19:59   Link #9
Phatspoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokona76
i could use that info 2
Well for me, and im not sure if this will help, I went to my routers site and inputed some information. I had a bunch of ppl help me out and and read a lot of other ppl's threads to see if i could do anything.
In the end BT is working fine for me, and this is what i have done:

1. Installed TorrentStorm (later unistalled and used regular BT 3.3 b.c it is much much simpler for me )
2. Closed XP firewall (to do this, go to Network Connections --> open properties of connection your using --> Advanced Tab and unselect XP firewall)
3. Found out my router had a firewall and turned it off (Go through your router manual or find one online that lists your router's IP address and enter that in a Address bar. You should get the site of your router and just go through all the options and find firewall and turn it off)
4. Ports (Using that same site, i found this section, and from help from others, put in this information *ill try to attach a pic*, basically just open ports 8881-8889 or even 8881-8999 if possible, all on TCP)
5. So right now, all firewalls are off, ports 8881-8889 are open, using reg BT 3.3 and only download about 1-3 files at a time to keep speed decent.

you might want to check this out and see if it helps
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Old 2004-01-02, 21:28   Link #10
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

trigger = 6969 public ports= 6881-6889 (or 6999) all TCP

phatsphoonie likes to mistype it 8881-8889

Old 2004-01-02, 22:45   Link #11
Phatspoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOcyOgl
trigger = 6969 public ports= 6881-6889 (or 6999) all TCP

phatsphoonie likes to mistype it 8881-8889
hahhahahahha. whoops again. Maybe i should shut up, without bOcyOgl and flash squirrel to correct me each time i'm only messin with ppl more ^_^. well thanks again there (im just dumB)

and is it really 6969 for trigger? I dont know if the pic above is working, but i used 6881-6889 as mine with the same numbers as the public port. Seems to work for me...
Old 2004-01-04, 13:04   Link #12
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

When I go to the forwarding ports section of my router's webpage I get this

Would I fill this out just like in the example above?
Old 2004-01-04, 13:06   Link #13
Grav
Gone

Send a message via AIM to Grav
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowsNothing
When I go to the forwarding ports section of my router's webpage I get this

That's not a website, it's a LAN address. Local. Nobody but you can see it.
Old 2004-01-04, 13:10   Link #14
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

Sorry....wrong link. Try again.
Old 2004-01-04, 13:59   Link #15
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatspoonie
and is it really 6969 for trigger? I dont know if the pic above is working, but i used 6881-6889 as mine with the same numbers as the public port. Seems to work for me...
yea someone mentioned it in other thread and I confirmed it in another forum, I'm using 6969 as my trigger port now, works ok for me, putting 6881-6889 as trigger is fine but not as good as just 6969 (for my computer) but no harm trying this ^^

Quote:
http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/0...arding-how.JPG

Q: Does anyone know anything about Virtual server or DMZ settings in routers?

Last edited by bOcyOgl; 2004-01-04 at 14:12.
Old 2004-01-04, 17:00   Link #16
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

mwergh

I filled that out and when I clicked on "port triggering" ^^ that came up. You can see how I filled it out......it doesn't seem to be correct (the bitorrent downloads are still in yellow" status.)
Old 2004-01-04, 18:55   Link #17
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

Quote:
mwergh

I filled that out and when I clicked on "port triggering" ^^ that came up. You can see how I filled it out......it doesn't seem to be correct (the bitorrent downloads are still in yellow" status.)
I'm not sure, try putting nothing on ext. ports. OR

Trigger port range put 6969-(nothing)

what client are you using? The ports that you have forwarded should be the same as the ones that is set in your client, read the first post of this thread

*edit* tried Azureus client, its pretty good, it's configuration wizard helps you check if your ports are working fine. Lots of function and gives you lots of details on your torrent download.
It even has embedded tracker and IRC (what the hell??)

Last edited by bOcyOgl; 2004-01-04 at 20:23.
Old 2004-01-04, 20:40   Link #18
KnowsNothing
<3 Nina

I use ABC. The ports are the same.

http://knowsnothing.250free.com/questionports4.jpg

looky looky. one of the DL is green. it's the best seeded DL. perhaps that is just the problem. anyway, my router's site is acting crazy and not letting me change the trigger ports so....whatever.