AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2006-04-26, 13:30   Link #1
BorgmanJayce

Query about extracted files from a MKV file

I extracted some files using MKVE Wizard from a MKV of a fansubbed anime movie and which seems to be much better than MKVextractGUI in extracting files...

The files I extracted were:

an AC3 audio file [audio track]
11 TrueType fonts [BASKVILL, CronosPro-Bold, CronosPro-Semibold, CronosPro-SemiboldIt, FRAMDCN, KENYC__, LFAX, LFAXD, LFAXDI, LFAXI, Montara-BoldGothic]
1 ASS file [I think this is the subs file]
1 h264 file which is the video file
1 Chapters.txt file

Anyway, does anybody know how I can combine the files concerned into a playable AVI file with borders for viewing on a TV?
BorgmanJayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 17:32   Link #2
Stardash

I believe you can merge all the files together with virtual dub. As in import each individual audio/subtitle file after opening the video file (after converting that)
Stardash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 08:13   Link #3
BorgmanJayce

Stardash, when converting the h264 file, I take it that it's safe to convert it into a AVI file in Divx 5 or Divx6 format? Also, does the audio file still have to be in AC3 format or can that be converted into MP3 format and what do I do with the chapter.txt file that I extracted from the MKV? Do I need to combine that with the other files after the video and/or audio file[s] are converted or can I just delete it?

When it comes to borders, how do I work out what size they should be so that they're suitable for use for a file to be viewed on a TV as it's been a while since I've converted fansubs into versions suitable for viewing on a TV and I've forgotten how to do it with VirtualDub using that special filter for borders...
Old 2006-04-27, 17:22   Link #4
Stardash

size should be aspect ratio of either
4:3 for normal, and 16:9 for hi definition
for 4:3 it should be 640x360 or higher, ipod uses 320x240, I don't know for hi-def

You can convert to either format (Divx 5 or 6) depending on your needs, but Divx 6 has better quality per bit rate, and is obviously newer.

AAC audio is supposedly better than MP3, but AAC audio isn't supported in .avi

I don't think you need the chapters.txt file

Oh and remember that the TV does an overscan for the subtitles so they appear to be cut off if you put them too low.
Stardash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 01:53   Link #5
BorgmanJayce

I tried converting the h264 file using VirtualDub but it wouldn't let me, so if anyone has any suggestions for software that can convert h264 into AVI files, please let me know...
Old 2006-04-29, 09:47   Link #6
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

Install lastest ffdshow,
then go to program files> ffdshow > VFW codec configuration,
select the "decoder" tab,
Goto format "h.264", change the decoder "disable" to "libavcodec".
SSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 08:37   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Won't help. If you extract h264 video from an MKV, what you get is a raw, containerless h264 bistream, which is mostly useless. You need to mux it into mp4 before doing anything with it, and even then, you need to open it through avisynth to get virtualdub to do anything useful with it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 15:07   Link #8
BorgmanJayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Won't help. If you extract h264 video from an MKV, what you get is a raw, containerless h264 bistream, which is mostly useless. You need to mux it into mp4 before doing anything with it, and even then, you need to open it through avisynth to get virtualdub to do anything useful with it.
How do I mux the extracted video into mp4? I have avisynth as well as virtualdub...
Old 2006-05-22, 15:21   Link #9
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Use MP4box.
But if you're going to do that for transcoding purposes you might just as well use avisynth's directshowsource on the MKV directly.

Small example:
Code:
directshowsource("X:/video/original input video.mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=true, audio=false)
textsub("X:/video/subtitlesfile.ass")
# addborders(foo, bar, glarch, xyzzy)
# follow that sticky guide for the addborders stuff, I'm not sure what the correct values for your aspect ratio are since I never use it
Assumes that you have vsfilter.dll in your avisynth plugins directory, that you've installed the fonts in question, and that the MKV isn't anamorphic. Encode to xvid in virtualdub, then mux in the AC3 using avimuxgui.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2006-05-22 at 15:33.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote