AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Old 2011-08-06, 15:13   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Arrow Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler

Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Mature, Seinen, Supernatural
Some time in the distant (apocalyptic) future the world has become a barren wasteland filled with monsters, bandits and supernatural beings. Garami is a wondering arms dealer. She roams the land doing business for the guild in her metal carriage pulled by a immortal zombie horse. Until one day when she meets a boy Sona, half dead in the wasteland. She saves his life in exchange for him becoming her slave, but gives him the choice of anytime buying his life back for 100 gold.
Some more details,
  • Garami uses pretty much every weapon you can imagine, explosives, swords, guns, knives, even sniper rifles. You name it, she'll kill you with it.
  • The series is similar to Berserk in it's supernatural elements (living dead, mass gore) as well as Claymore (in particular the main character looks like a claymore, in some ways)
  • The series deals with everything from zombies to slavery and morally gray choices.
  • Just like Berserk and Claymore the series contains some nudity and gore.
MyAnimeList - Back Updates
GaramiSona
Old 2011-08-06, 15:27   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I already read chp 1 to 11.

Spoiler for ch1-11:
Old 2011-08-06, 15:38   Link #3
Johnny
Working the bags...

Saw this one last week and read up to the current chapter. Wasn't bad and it doesn't hurt that Garami is smoking hot. Sort of reminded me of the manga Jormungand...
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 17:12   Link #4
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

I don't know, it's somewhat interesting yet I can't help thinking it's just another apocalpse story that doesn't really do much for me.

As it goes I think all I can reall do is 2nd Johnny's words "it doesn't hurt that Garami is smoking hot"

probably won't keep with it regularly and just read it lump sums when or if I ever I remember to, that is happen more and more these days.
Old 2011-08-06, 18:11   Link #5
haegar
mangaviking

I got the "just another apocalypse" from a couple of people, but I cant rly relate. Maybe it is cause I haven't read that much yet of that genre. In any case it totally captivated me (and I dont just mean Garami ) - I think the artwork is rather exceptional. Currently my fav together with Claymore (was for some time and will be for some time) and Shingeki no Kyuoujin (just recently found that one too) - and yeah I guess though not overly many apocaplypse storylines, as you can see by those two others I do like the dark tone - and have some hopes for the moral ambiguety doing it good
Spoiler for ch1-11:

anyways, thx 4 thread @ felix, g2 sleep now and will come by again to comment later XD

Spoiler for ..:

Last edited by haegar; 2011-08-06 at 18:26.
haegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 19:43   Link #6
Iron21

Just another apocalypse story? Really? To each his own I guess.

The manga has become one of my favorite manga to read. It has pretty much everything to offer so far. I'm always down for a kick your ass, take names later female lead. Garami is way above that level and is straight cold blooded awesome.

Like somebody over at MH said, from the Berserk school of manga

Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 23:44   Link #7
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

I've read the first volume of Arms Peddler and I'm not impressed. Mediocre series so far IMO. The artwork is good but the plot is rather schematic and naive. The only reason it's in seinen category is occasional nudity, brutality that involves besides blood gushes flying limbs and some sexual content. But plot-wise and character-wise it's worse than any seinen I know (excluding Ubel Blatt). The kid is annoying from the start, something like Raki from Claymore but worse since he has almost as big role as Garami. And he's constantly in deep shit in one second and miraculously rescued in the next.
Spoiler for volume 1:

All in all I have mixed feelings. We have zombies, naked chicks, some gore, magic, somewhat of a post-apocalyptic setting and quite a great art. It annoys me quite often but I'll give it a chance since the read is not painful just yet. Claymore also wasn't great until Teresa's arc so maybe it will come around.

But anyway, if you liked it you should really check Desert Punk out. Desert Punk is shounen but characters feel more real (i.e. they're better constructed and their actions are convincing) and the plot is better thought out (comparing only first volumes of course). There's also Trigun (which also is in a post-apocalyptic setting) which is another great manga, much better than anime and also much better than Arms Peddler. And Shingeki no Kyojin which is also much better (although IMO worse than Trigun or Desert Punk by a class at least).

Edit:
Ehh... Arms Peddler manga is getting more stupid with every chapter.
Spoiler for chapter 9-10:

Last edited by Gooral; 2011-08-07 at 01:34.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 04:12   Link #8
haegar
mangaviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
I've read the first volume of Arms Peddler and I'm not impressed. Mediocre series so far IMO. The artwork is good but the plot is rather schematic and naive. The only reason it's in seinen category is occasional nudity, brutality that involves besides blood gushes flying limbs and some sexual content.
I can relate to the fact that you feel things are a bit schematic, the beginning of the revenge storyline certainly is not totally new - still my general feel is that it nontheless made for an entertaining read - and that it's still too early to tell. basically ch1-3 were introduction standalones, with the first arc being used to delve some more into characters and also the nature of this world.
Spoiler for ch 4-12:
so lets see where that goes before stamping it "mediochre" ...and rly... "mediochre ...is like ... Kubo or stuff like that

As for the "just another aplocalypse" as mentioned I havent read so many of those yet, bear in mind I havent read i.e Desert Punk & Trigun yet so I can't rly make the comparison as of now and will lealve that out of my argument.

Quote:
character-wise it's worse than any seinen I know (excluding Ubel Blatt). The kid is annoying from the start, something like Raki from Claymore but worse since he has almost as big role as Garami. And he's constantly in deep shit in one second and miraculously rescued in the next.
Spoiler for volume 1:
Spoiler for ch4-14:

Quote:
All in all I have mixed feelings. We have zombies, naked chicks, some gore, magic, somewhat of a post-apocalyptic setting and quite a great art. It annoys me quite often but I'll give it a chance since the read is not painful just yet. Claymore also wasn't great until Teresa's arc so maybe it will come around.
Spoiler for ..:

Zombies and gore, I don't like them too much actually, and that for me is a point that something about this must be good. For instance I dropped the ohso hyped Berserk cause I felt the gore was just to excessive despite good art and plot (well I guess I will sometime finish reading up on it nontheless ) In this one though the gore part in some panels felt overdone but still to me it fits the setting nicely. Again, we'll have to see how it progresses.

Another strong point btw I feel is the "flow" when reading. I could almost picture this manga before my inner eye as a movie while readin on - the narrative voice is pretty good too imho and that is another + that makes me get over the all to convenient turns of events. Anyways, in closing just want to reemphasize that the current layout allows for much much more dynamics and tension between lead-chracters than claymore's Clare/Raki...
Old 2011-08-09, 05:26   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
But plot-wise and character-wise it's worse than any seinen I know (excluding Ubel Blatt). The kid is annoying from the start, something like Raki from Claymore but worse since he has almost as big role as Garami. And he's constantly in deep shit in one second and miraculously rescued in the next.
Spoiler for volume 1:
Spoiler:
Personally I get the impression you just skimmed though it and looked at the pretty pictures. A lot of what you said was so blatantly explained using entire pages it's not even funny.
Old 2011-08-09, 07:12   Link #10
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

I'll respond to felix only since it will take less time and I will cover most of your points haegar anyway.

Spoiler for spoiler vol. 1:

You've also didn't comment my edited part, i.e. how stupid was that the kid when he
Spoiler for vol. 2:
In short, I don't think I've read another manga with such weak script (dialogues, etc.), plot and characters (like a kid whose family has just been massacred was as cheerful as a kid in Disneyland and is a retard overall). There are tons of plot holes here and the list of stupidities goes on and on.

It's funny you say that I must have skimmed through it and looked at pictures (which for the most part I wouldn't call pretty but I digress) when you've missed so much yourself and I had to explain to you every little thing.

Maybe I've had my standards set to high because of Desert Punk or Trigun (and from a different genre Dorohedoro which I've recently read) but I generally don't like manga where characters and plot is stupid and it's not a comedy. Heck, even Shingeki no Kyojin is much, much better than this (even though it's worse than Desert Punk IMO).
Old 2011-08-09, 10:56   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You are making a lot of convenient assumtions to prove your point.
Spoiler:

Quote:
If you can't see how stupid that was then don't even bother responding to my post.
Well, I certainly will not bother responding to your posts from now on. There are ways more possibilities then just the ones I mentioned, frankly you seem to just be nitpicking at every little thing. It's really pointless to argue with you when you only see everything as bad and just go on about everyone being retarded, dumb or events being stupid, or forcing them into some kind of trope (as if tropes are necessarily always bad). Amusingly enough you actually miss the actual plot holes such as Garami apparently selling him with only the slightest of chances of him escaping in the inevitable commotion that followed. So maybe the kid has superhuman luck and some kind of plotshield, so what, I do not enjoy reading it to see him survive, I am more interested in his interaction with Garami, thus, him just randomly dieing (as you imply) would add nothing to the story and plot.
Old 2011-08-09, 15:23   Link #12
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You are making a lot of convenient assumtions to prove your point.
Me? You're really funny. First you're telling me that I'm skimming and looking at pretty pictures only when you're the one doing it (otherwise you wouldn't need another post to make excuses but show that the things I've mentioned weren't idiocies in the first one which you couldn't and still can't), then you're telling me that I'm making a lot of convenient assumptions when you're the one trying to find far-fetched explanations to all the idiocies I've mentioned about. That's rich. I assume you haven't heard about Occam's razor then?

Spoiler for vol. 1+2:

Heh, I'm bumping the thread of a manga I don't even like. Time to end this. Read Desert Punk, maybe then you will understand better my criticism.
Old 2011-08-09, 19:48   Link #13
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
fun read! love this kind of manga & i marathoned the scanlated chapters in one sitting.
Old 2011-09-03, 14:56   Link #14
ellifeedn
Thinker

There are a number of good and bad things in this series. I'll stick with it for now just to see where it goes.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 14:57   Link #15
vansonbee
❤Nishino Tsukasa❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
There are a number of good and bad things in this series. I'll stick with it for now just to see where it goes.
Can you refresh us the flaws of this series, I would like to know it.
Old 2011-09-04, 00:00   Link #16
ellifeedn
Thinker

Spoiler for flaws in the series:
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 00:10   Link #17
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Spoiler for flaws in the series:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-09-04, 00:19   Link #18
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
well if i remember the princess wants to see her bodyguard imprisoned there
Old 2011-09-04, 01:37   Link #19
kirayume

Send a message via Yahoo to kirayume
a good manga. and i guess that arms peddler is like a main character from Claymore but she's more beautiful..;D
kirayume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 22:11   Link #20
vansonbee
❤Nishino Tsukasa❤

Can anyone tell me the release rate for this series? weekly, bi-weekly or monthly?