AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2016-02-11, 10:35   Link #1
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Ad Astra - Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Major & Hannibal Barca

NOTE: This is about the manga depicting the second punic war, not the other completely unrelated manga with a similar name.

Alt. Names: Ad Astra; Ad Astra - Scipio to Hannibal; To the Stars - Scipo and Hannibal; アド・アストラ スキピオとハンニバル

Author & Artist: Kagano Mihachi

Genre (according to manga updates): Action, Adventure, Drama, Historical, Mature, Psychological

Magazine: Ultra Jump (Seinen)

Publisher: Shueisha

Synopsis:
Quote:
This is the story of two of the greatest military commanders in history: the Roman Publius Cornelius Scipio and the Carthaginian Hannibal. The story follows the two of them from their early life on. Hannibal is initially shown as a strangely silent infant, who seemed like the gods forgot to put a soul in his little body. However, he soon begins to speak in a way that shows his remarkable abilities. Hannibal and Scipio are driven enemies, and their struggle shaped an era.
Translation: https://turnipfarmers.wordpress.com/category/ad-astra/

I think this manga really needs more attention. It's really good. People who liked the manga "Kingdom" would probably also like this as well.

Right now in the (TLed) chapters it's still Hannibal's time to shine as Scipio doesn't have enough power yet to be the one to face him.

I have to say though that I really like the contrast between the two main characters.

Hannibal has supreme intelligence and has a frightening understanding of how people react in certain situations, which makes him able to crush his enemies by predicting their next moves easily and directly countering those predicted moves.

Scipio on the other hand is depicted not as someone who is extremely wise or intelligent, but rather as someone who is cunning and intuitive. Unlike Hannibal, Scipio's MO is not to read ahead an enemy's moves and then countering it, but instead to trick them into moving as he wants them to do. He also has a good awareness, being able to catch onto dangers, but is often not able to do anything about simply because he doesn't have enough influence on those who lead the war against Hannibal, despite being a Patrician (Roman noble) himself.

This is a great manga that doesn't have to rely on fanservice like other series. Though maybe that's the reason why it doesn't get much attention.
Old 2016-02-11, 12:25   Link #2
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Second this. It's a really great manga depicting the match between the showdown of the greatest strategist in history. It's just starting off but the pace is great, the characters are entertaining and it tells the story extremely well.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 07:30   Link #3
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
This is a great manga that doesn't have to rely on fanservice like other series. Though maybe that's the reason why it doesn't get much attention.
It's good, yeah, but I don't really want to read it because I'm butthurt about the Roman scum. Needs alternate history of Hannibal burning Rome to the ground, not another historic portrayal of Hannibal ultimately losing.

#RomaDelendaEst #FreeCarthage #NotAllBaalists
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-15, 05:50   Link #4
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
It's good, yeah, but I don't really want to read it because I'm butthurt about the Roman scum. Needs alternate history of Hannibal burning Rome to the ground, not another historic portrayal of Hannibal ultimately losing.

#RomaDelendaEst #FreeCarthage #NotAllBaalists
Same here. Worst thing is that there's only one battle between Hannibal and Scipio.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-04, 09:05   Link #5
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Love this manga. Except for a few, a lot of the Roman Generals are rather Smug and arrogant, believing they can defeat Hannibal with superior numbers, only to suffer a humiliating defeat.

And now the current scanlated chapters focus on the Battle of Cannae. Can't wait to see the faces on Paullus and Varro.

Tags
carthage, hannibal, rome, scipio, second punic war