AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2006-04-27, 20:20   Link #21
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Aww, now my sig's useless.

EDIT: Also, hate it or not, naming it Wii serves to get the console more publicity, which is pretty helpful to have in the few weeks we have left before E3. People are going to be talking about the name over and over until the name's been driven into the heads of everyone paying attention to the next-gen consoles.

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2006-04-27 at 20:34.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 20:43   Link #22
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Let's just hope they dont decide to change the controller and come up with a new "Wii Design".
Old 2006-04-27, 21:34   Link #23
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross
Aww, now my sig's useless.

Oh god dont change it, Im still calling it the rev and Ill get it as soon as I can, I cant wait for more announcements of the games, which is what really matters.

What a silly name really.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 22:23   Link #24
Knight Hawk
Lurker

I find it rather silly for people to drop the system for it's name alone. It won't effect the games. I will purchase Wii and will Wiiiii~ all the way home with my new machine *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamespot.com
Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."
^QFT
Old 2006-04-27, 23:26   Link #25
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Oh god dont change it, Im still calling it the rev and Ill get it as soon as I can, I cant wait for more announcements of the games, which is what really matters.

What a silly name really.
*Ahem*
SiWii.
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:39   Link #26
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Oh god dont change it
Meh, even if I was going to, I'd be too lazy to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk
I find it rather silly for people to drop the system for it's name alone.
Hmm, I haven't really encountered anyone who's declared they're dropping the system because of a name change. They're more concerned with hoping that Nintendo changes the name, starting a petition to change the name, or making puns.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:53   Link #27
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Introducing...the Nintendo Wii (wtf? o.o)

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Discuss...

I think Nintendo made baby Buddah cry...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 00:08   Link #28
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross
Hmm, I haven't really encountered anyone who's declared they're dropping the system because of a name change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
I had planned to get one but Nintendo has just given me a reason not to buy it.

I was slowly becoming a Nintendo Fanboy but I'll happily save my money and buy something else. Might be a good time to put away the NintendoDS too. It actually feels good to be saving the money!

Thats one sale they lost to the Wii.... how many other potential sales have they also lost?
I'v visited other gaming forums and the reaction sadly is the same. Personally i don't care about the name. I won't let a simple name change my mind on purchasing the system when its available. I have high hopes for the Big N with the success of the DS.
Old 2006-04-28, 00:14   Link #29
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

how the hell did I miss the games forum? XD
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 00:22   Link #30
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Will a stupid name make the Revolution a worse gaming platforum? Of course not. On the other hand, it's coolness factor is partially based on what people think of its name and very few people here have any doubts that this extremely uncool name will destroy its ability to sell.

No mater how good the system is, it has just created a hurdle that the PR department will have to try to overcome. They really didn't need this handicap. A name is supposed to help you sell a product, not keep you from selling a product.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 00:45   Link #31
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No mater how good the system is, it has just created a hurdle that the PR department will have to try to overcome. They really didn't need this handicap. A name is supposed to help you sell a product, not keep you from selling a product.
Handicap? Maybe, but im sure they are up for the challenge. I'm going to quote "Para" from another bored which i felt is what Nintendo is trying to do with this name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
Well let me elaborate on the name a lot more.

Think of it this way...

The world "revolution" itself definitely holds great meaning in North America. We know the definition of Revolution to a greater extent. UNLIKE North America, Japanese consumers may to a greater extent not understand the whole definition of Revolution at first hand.

Now more so... Wii.
Short, simplex just as Nintendo is trying to image their console as. The idea of simplicity is part of their campaign to expand the gaming market to new consumers.

Wii as in oui, which means french for yes.

Wii as in japanese where w means lol and ii means good.

Wii as in we meaning the console for everyone.

Wii, creating controvery among many english speaking countries and countries that understand english to a greater extent, has captured the attention of many gamers alike. Which of course serves Nintendo's interest in building a strong hype.

ii for the console controllers (as stated by Nintendo themselves).

Thinking about it... this could be interpreted as brilliance on Nintendo's part.
With the above as an example, im sure we can expect some interesting commercials in the near future ^-^;
Old 2006-04-28, 00:55   Link #32
deathbygirl

What's in a name?

I'm more worried about the more subtle implications that this change from Revolution to Wii has on the company's future. With the Revolution, the imagery that comes to mind was Nintendo finally getting ready to discard their mediocre success with the Gamecube, buckle down, and revolutionize the industry with the next generation of games. When I say next generation, I don't mean in the sense of graphics; I mean in the sense of interactivity, how it affects the senses... To be concise, I imagined Nintendo attempting to transcend the borders of conventional gaming (i.e. interactivity between man and controller) and breathe new life into an industry that seemingly becomes more dependent on the tried and true. With Wii... I can't imagine the company striving to go in the same direction. It feels like Nintendo uttered a battle cry (with the Revolution) and entered the war with a Nerf gun. I suppose only time will tell what the heck the minds of Nintendo are thinking. Name change or not, I still think this console is make-or-break for the company; if they don't nail it here, it's a precursor to the fall of an industry empire.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 01:35   Link #33
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Seriously who cares? The name of this console has absolutely no influence on us consumers. The machine is what counts. Not it's name. Getting worked up about something as trivial as this is a complete waste of time.
Old 2006-04-28, 01:51   Link #34
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Ah yes, I can imagine kids everywhere going "I want a Wii Wii, I want a Wii Wii" and the parents looking all puzzled and stuff...

Kids willl be giggling on the streets "Hey did you buy Wii?" "Ewww, who would buy pee?".

I liked Revolution better....
________
Daihatsu move history

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:17.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 03:06   Link #35
mightyme

anybody who was plannignt og et it ebfore but decided not to because of the name is a f'n idiot and deserves to die, serriously just kill yourself NOW

if you think it's funny and laugh at it, or if it pisses you off, whatever, but if it is the determining reason for you not to play... just do the world a favor and conserve our oxygen supply by ceasing to breath
Old 2006-04-28, 03:14   Link #36
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

(To me it sounds more like "wee" meaning tiny, rather than urine.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyme
anybody who was plannignt og et it ebfore but decided not to because of the name is a f'n idiot and deserves to die, serriously just kill yourself NOW
The issue isn't someone who was planning to get it before the name was changed. Those people are probably still going to purchase it regardless of its name. Unfortunately for Nintendo, such people aren't the entire market or even the majority of the market. Most people will be trying to decide if they are going to get a Xbox360, a PS3 or a Wii.

A lot of these people don't really know the differences between the consoles. I see them in the store all the time asking the salesman which they should get. They ask, which is the cheapest, which is the best, which will make my pen15 longer. Let's just say that they won't think that it will get any longer if they get a Wii.

There's a reason that they feel they need a marketing department instead of just thinking that anyone will buy it without needing to advertise. If they need commercials or pretty pictures on the box, then they need a good name also. They just threw away a great name. The name "Wii" is bad advertising.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 03:59   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
Seriously who cares? The name of this console has absolutely no influence on us consumers. The machine is what counts. Not it's name. Getting worked up about something as trivial as this is a complete waste of time.
Casual gamers? newbie gamers? gamers too young to buy the console themselves?

I agree with your no influence on us consumers comment, but I think it only applies to hardcore gamers or those in the known. Like NSW said, a lot of gamers want the coolest console not the most capable one.
Old 2006-04-28, 04:06   Link #38
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masj
It will be named Wii pronounced We
I thought it was pronounced "Why I"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
Kids willl be giggling on the streets "Hey did you buy Wii?"
Nah, more like "You want to comeover to play with my wii (wee)" ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 04:21   Link #39
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Actually, I'm not surprised that Nintendo actually called it that... Looking back at all their consoles, you could see some resemblance. Revolution doesn't seem to quite fit with Nintendo's image, becuase that would show that they have a mature name. But Nintendo has always been about bringing out our inner child with games.
Games that we can laugh about, talk about, and even share with each other. Nintendo's image has always been about bringing people together, and with this new name, I think it's going to be great.
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER REVIEWS

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:17.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 04:38   Link #40
mightyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
(To me it sounds more like "wee" meaning tiny, rather than urine.)

The issue isn't someone who was planning to get it before the name was changed. Those people are probably still going to purchase it regardless of its name. Unfortunately for Nintendo, such people aren't the entire market or even the majority of the market. Most people will be trying to decide if they are going to get a Xbox360, a PS3 or a Wii.

A lot of these people don't really know the differences between the consoles. I see them in the store all the time asking the salesman which they should get. They ask, which is the cheapest, which is the best, which will make my pen15 longer. Let's just say that they won't think that it will get any longer if they get a Wii.

There's a reason that they feel they need a marketing department instead of just thinking that anyone will buy it without needing to advertise. If they need commercials or pretty pictures on the box, then they need a good name also. They just threw away a great name. The name "Wii" is bad advertising.
"I had planned to get one but Nintendo has just given me a reason not to buy it."
-dan88