AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-23, 09:42   Link #61
Thany
Unfair

Yeh now that you say so, sign can also give you something to think about the person posting more than the name
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 03:10   Link #62
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Nevar!!!!!! lulz
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 07:42   Link #63
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!

I certainly hope not...>.>

All I want people to know when they look at my avatar, is that I'm a total Gundam 00 fanboy.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 08:49   Link #64
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think I did when I was younger; like when I first joined this forum. Nowadays, I barely even look at them. I did change mine a few months back to Ganondorf. It's that awesome scene when he transforms into Ganon in OoT.

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2010-05-25 at 15:09.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 09:15   Link #65
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

When I choose an avatar I want it to show what I like, or what anime i'm into.... Or what girl I'm into. :P I have a thing for strong girls/women.

Avatars are like... masks, facades that make distinguishing an individual both easy and hard.

On that, great way to revive a thread CuXe.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 09:23   Link #66
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
I might glance at an avatar and find it nice, but I certainly don't use it as a means of judging someone. I actually talk to them before I decide what my perception of them is.
Old 2010-05-25, 09:36   Link #67
hinakatbklyn

My avatar choices are usually my favorite characters or series. It shouldn't influence who I am. Likewise, I see another avatar, it shouldn't influence my perception of someone else.
Old 2010-05-25, 10:28   Link #68
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

*shrugs* what everyone said. I don't have much to say on people's avatars.
But mine is very obvious. Na-mu.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 10:44   Link #69
Zeyroth
I am God.

The 'me' years back would've answered with a 'Yes'.

But right now, i'd have to say - No, definitely not.

Personally, i think that it's the character and attitude that'd be the first thing that others would look out for, no?

Besides, if your avatar determines what kind of person you are, life would've been much easier. (Especially in testimonials. *shiver*)
Zeyroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 13:07   Link #70
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Sometimes, If I do not know the gender, sometimes the nature of the avatar gives it away, although it's usually wrong.
Old 2010-05-25, 14:09   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow.... necromancy of a 2003 thread. CuXe - the date, read the date I'd have to say the level of discourse seems to have improved since 2003.

Whatever... My avatars are usually of cute girls and the last few years I've been cemented with the Tomoko avatar (last 2 times I changed it, people got disoriented and screamed). I still get the periodic "oh I thought you were female" PM or response - which is amusing. Conversely, in MMOs many somewhat challenged players assume that the player is a guy no matter what sex the character is (amusing to my RL female friends who play).

The only avatars that "influence" me are ones that basically convey the poster is going to be a jerk. And interestingly, there's a very high correlation between using patently offensive or egotistical avatars and that behavior.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 14:11   Link #72
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Sometimes, If I do not know the gender, sometimes the nature of the avatar gives it away, although it's usually wrong.
I for one have never understood why the avatar someone uses is atumotically linked to their gender. I always thought it was more likely that a person's username or something would give away their gender, not the avatar they use.
Old 2010-05-25, 14:15   Link #73
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Indirectly, yes. Not so much in terms of gender, but usually a person's taste is reflected in their avatar, and a person's taste is usually a reflection of their personality. For example, when someone has an animation of a woman's breasts being fondled as their avatar as I recall seeing before on ASuki, I usually am predisposed to have a perception of them as immature. And you know, it's usually true. Generalizing based on anime genres usually works often too.

So influence, yes. But I wouldn't hit the ignore button based on it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 17:57   Link #74
Shyne

Send a message via Skype™ to Shyne
I think an avi shows one interest of a person, but it doesn't influence what I think of them. Now if someone chose 1,000 avis then I think you could use that to learn about a person but never just 1.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 21:38   Link #75
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow.... necromancy of a 2003 thread. CuXe - the date, read the date I'd have to say the level of discourse seems to have improved since 2003.
Those were the good old days. Things have become more strict since then.

Can't say I like it when old threads are necro'd. Occasionally I like to take a walk down memory lane, and the old threads are generally on the last pages of the forums. When they're brought out like this, it makes it harder to find them (but not impossible). Oh well...
Old 2010-05-25, 21:59   Link #76
Gin
*Artist

I don't read posts by people with no avatar. Does that count?
Also, if someone has a Haruhi avatar I usually make some pretty mean judgments about their intelligence.

I think we can all agree that looking at someone's signature is the only real way to judge someone though
Old 2010-05-25, 23:40   Link #77
Kudryavka

Quote:
Conversely, in MMOs many somewhat challenged players assume that the player is a guy no matter what sex the character is (amusing to my RL female friends who play).
It seems that in most Internet settings, everyone is assumed to be male. Heck, when I first came here, I had to reiterate a few times that I wasn't a guy. This and all of my other forums auto assumed I was a guy.

I do closely identify an avatar with the person behind it. It is, after all, called an avatar, which by definition represents a person, accurately or not so much. I tend to identify the emotion of the avatar picture with what I think the person may act like; Ledgem seems like a cool, yet colorful person, and Gin seems sly. I get very disoriented when someone changes his or her avatar; to me, it's like that girl who always wore dark shirts, baggy jackets, and jeans to school suddenly popping up in bright yellows and reds, with hoop earrings, heels, and makeup. Or that backwards.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 00:38   Link #78
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Whatever... My avatars are usually of cute girls and the last few years I've been cemented with the Tomoko avatar (last 2 times I changed it, people got disoriented and screamed).
Same here, although I do change my Valky one from time to time.

People often ask me who she is and I kinda like that mysterious/unkown air about it.

As for the Op question....

Quote:
Do people's avatars influence your perception of them?
No, not in the slightest.
Old 2010-05-26, 00:48   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Same here, although I do change my Valky one from time to time.

People often ask me who she is and I kinda like that mysterious/unkown air about it.

As for the Op question....

No, not in the slightest.
Yeah, I'd be disoriented if you changed from Valky to something else. At least the sig area isn't locked in stone
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 01:58   Link #80
Gin
*Artist

I am pretty sly, aren't I? If I were to judge you by your avatar, I would say that you (Komari) are the kind of person who enjoys laughing, sometimes to the point were people around you get the impression that you are maniacal. Is that an accurate description of you?