AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2010-05-26, 23:53   Link #101
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post

On that, great way to revive a thread CuXe.
Yeah lol, somehow my mouse autoclicked soemewhere in the forum and that click took me way back and I found a topic I couldn't help my self but to revive. It was a great success tho It is interesting to read the POV of people who are swayed in one way or another about avatars.

Personally I don't pay much attention to them, I do admire avatars and signatures as the artsy pieces they are but nothing that would make me draw a conclusion about the user..... well unless the avatar is extremely distasteful which is something I haven't encountered in this forum as of yet.
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 00:38   Link #102
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
People's avatars don't really influence my perception of them in most cases although I can tell what they're into.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 01:24   Link #103
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
My avatar choices are usually my favorite characters or series. It shouldn't influence who I am. Likewise, I see another avatar, it shouldn't influence my perception of someone else.
I agree with this since it's how I feel about them, and I how I use it myself, though imagining people thinking I act/am like Yui is amusing .
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 06:20   Link #104
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

@CuXe: It's always nice to know people's perspectives, I agree. An avatar can help distinguish a person to a limited degree, but asking whether or not they influence a person help identify them further.

It's all very personifying and customizable to a person. I personally like any avatar that piques my interest.

I'm not very discriminating unless the content of the avatar is rather sexual (butt groping for instance.)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 06:36   Link #105
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

They just help me identify people better.
Old 2010-05-27, 07:15   Link #106
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow.... necromancy of a 2003 thread. CuXe - the date, read the date I'd have to say the level of discourse seems to have improved since 2003.

Whatever... My avatars are usually of cute girls and the last few years I've been cemented with the Tomoko avatar (last 2 times I changed it, people got disoriented and screamed). I still get the periodic "oh I thought you were female" PM or response - which is amusing. Conversely, in MMOs many somewhat challenged players assume that the player is a guy no matter what sex the character is (amusing to my RL female friends who play).

The only avatars that "influence" me are ones that basically convey the poster is going to be a jerk. And interestingly, there's a very high correlation between using patently offensive or egotistical avatars and that behavior.
I know you're not one for thread ressurection Vexx, but very few of the 2010 crowd were here 7 odd years ago, so why not bring back an interesting topic to new faces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
Yeah, because people use avatars to express themselves. At least a little, right?
I'll second the 'damn straight'.
It does, together with how they write and carry themselves through their words. Whether it's an accurate perception or just part of their 'online front', it still is part of the 'virtual face' that we use to present to each other, alike the clothes we wear in the streets.
It's a medium of expression to those who see it, so on my side, I typically customise my avvy or sig to reflect me in some sense.

Some avvies and sigs do turn me off, in turn I kinda shy away from the person cause I have to see it while trying to read their post. Others amuse me and make me curious. A lot of times, I remember the images together with the person's name
And I have fallen short of a gender mix up, figured a guy was a girl (the way they write their posts too), was corrected recently

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 08:58   Link #107
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
People seem to think I'm a girl because of my avatar >_> lol
Old 2010-05-27, 12:55   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I know you're not one for thread ressurection Vexx, but very few of the 2010 crowd were here 7 odd years ago, so why not bring back an interesting topic to new faces?
Necromancy isn't *evil* here like on some sites. Staying on topic, adding information to the topic thread is considered the important thing.

It is just a bit embarrassing when someone responds to a comment made six years ago by a "long dead poster". I've done it accidentally once or twice myself. I've also gotten a couple of pos/neg reps for posts made several years ago... those are odd.

Quote:
It does, together with how they write and carry themselves through their words. Whether it's an accurate perception or just part of their 'online front', it still is part of the 'virtual face' that we use to present to each other, alike the clothes we wear in the streets.
It's a medium of expression to those who see it, so on my side, I typically customise my avvy or sig to reflect me in some sense.
Aye... for example, I've stuck with the Tomoko avvie because when I try to change it, I've gotten a lot of screams of confusion each time I've tried. OTOH, I originally had someone create the avvie because I prefer to come here and have fun discussing japanese pop culture. (I almost always regret even visiting the General Chat because it "wobbles my wa 和").

Quote:
Some avvies and sigs do turn me off, in turn I kinda shy away from the person cause I have to see it while trying to read their post. Others amuse me and make me curious. A lot of times, I remember the images together with the person's name
I've resorted to the "hide avvie/sig" (see Forum Feedback) trick for a few folks that insist on using NSFW or disturbing imagery in their avatars or sigs.
Old 2010-05-27, 16:22   Link #109
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
If people are influenced by the avatar I use, then I'm pretty much screwed over. I don't change them quite as much as I used to, but I still haven't found one that I can stay settled on for weeks or months at a time.
Old 2010-05-27, 17:01   Link #110
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I think my current avatar fits my personality and username pretty well.

That is, ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!

*insert maniacal laughter here*
One of the funniest avies around here, I might add.

Well, as I see it, having an avatar is like meeting someone for the first time and creating that certain...first impression about them, which, later on, counts heavily until you really get to know these people (, if you get the chance). Because sometimes, mere text tends to form misunderstandings, when you don't know the writer's habits or personality. So that's where the avatar substitutes for this visual reconfirmation of the author's possible intentions.

People tend to take the most interesting avatars they could find (or the most relevant to their interests), so that this "digital first impression" of theirs impacts the viewer as positively as possible. We want to make friends, to socialize, to blend into the community as easily as we can. That, I think, is the main, and the most obvious role of avatars.
Old 2010-05-27, 18:51   Link #111
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
I suppose so.
I get excited when a user has a [realistic] pic of an attractive girl.
I immediately click their name.
Old 2010-05-27, 19:30   Link #112
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Keller View Post
I suppose so.
I get excited when a user has a [realistic] pic of an attractive girl.
I immediately click their name.
I think that's universal if you mean when the avatar seems like it's a picture of the real person. I would click on those avatars more too. Haha.

And if you don't have an avatar at all, then I tend to not click on it because it takes an extra step. >.<
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 19:36   Link #113
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
It's part of the package. It is usually a reflection of what a person likes.

To get a reading on a person on this site, I'd be looking at several things:

1. Their avatar - may reflect general mood or a series/game they like.
2. Their custom title - probably reveals something about their tastes or their view of the world.
3. What they say in their posts and why.
4. What series they like and why.
5. How they feel about general issues.

The avatar is part of it but it's not the most crucial part. Still, a nice avatar can be very reassuring/pleasing/amusing. hinakatbklyn uses a variety of avatars that are either cute or striking, which definitely caught my eye. Vexx's is cute and hilarious at the same time.
Old 2010-05-27, 23:28   Link #114
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
I'm curious if mine has any affect on people. Really I just imagine that whatever face I see as the avatar is the person unless I have sufficient evidence otherwise, in which case I just see the genderbent version of their avatar as them.
I demand you rewrite this post to include something "inflammatory, controversial, unholy, evil, or baby-killing".
Old 2010-05-28, 17:54   Link #115
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
No, but I do often associate avatars with a particular user if he or she consistently makes posts that make me feel a certain way.

This includes those who always post something funny, something thoughtful, or something that makes the person seem like he has a problem with people in general (the third point does apply to someone's posts I've read).

I judge people by what they say on the boards, not by what they have as their avatar.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 20:15   Link #116
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

I'm not really sure how an avatar affects my view of the poster. I'd be lying if I said it made no difference at all, but at the same time I feel like I forget about the avatar when i'm actually reading the post. I do build images of people in my head that are usually based of the avatars I saw first (for example TinyRedLeaf will always be the girl from Toshokan Senso), but for others, I imagine them by what they say; for example Vexx, given his stated age and location, makes me think of an old teacher of mine instead of whatever that thing in his avatar is.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:32   Link #117
Yuutsu

Interesting topic! Never thought about this question before, but if I had to answer I'd say no. Similar to how I view books, I tend to associate a certain image with something such as an object (or in this instance, a person) rather than forming an opinion based purely on what is on the surface. Otherwise, I would have missed a great deal of good books that I would probably have never otherwise read.

However, if something peaks my interest, I'll inevitably gravitate towards it. After all, I can never say no to a hot picture of Nia or Horo! XD
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 22:14   Link #118
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
nope. unless i see a trigun avatar, then i go...oh another trigun fan. figured we all went extinct.
Old 2010-05-31, 07:06   Link #119
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have a couple dozen avatars stored here. I generally view them as a method for advertising shows I'm watching or have recently completed. In that vein, I'm currently showing the lady with the "Dice-K" shirt from Summer Wars since it fit the arrival of the baseball season here in Red Sox Nation. (I also thought it was rather hilarious to see a Red Sox shirt in a Japanese anime.) Usually I'll change my "location" to fit the avatar as well.

I'm not sure you can learn lots about me from my avatar. First off, finding guys my age in anime is pretty difficult. xris already copped one of the best of these, and I think even at sixty I'm handsomer than that guy in YKK. In real life, I look like my profile picture, though I'm not wearing my glasses in that one.

I'd never done much with graphics before joining AS, but making animated avatars looked like fun. It's also challenging to fit something that catches the eye into the 50K size limit. Usually I'll be watching a show, and a scene will flash by that just says "avatar" to me.

Now as for my signature, that's just a convenient way to maintain a public favorites list.
Old 2010-05-31, 10:07   Link #120
Irkalla
I asked for this

They don't influence my perception about them, they just help me get a vague idea of what they like. Even if it's just a random avatar from the internet, it can at least show the users aesthetics, sense for humour or whatever. So yeah, it's kinda a first impression kinda thing. I can never be on bad terms with a girl with bishies or bl cycling in her avatars, ever.