AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 21 20.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 39.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.95%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-05-09, 18:13   Link #81
Vicke
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Svea
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
It looks more like a scar to me.
Maybe they where siamese twins that had been separated, but then would Shion also have a scar.
Vicke is offline  
Old 2006-05-09, 18:43   Link #82
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exciting Mascot Village~Paya!
SvenTheSweeper-> Also
Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas
Well, I think it's just that...
Spoiler:
I based my suspicion on the fact that Rena came to Hinamizawa a year before Keiichi moved to town (See wiki reference below). I also assume in that time she would have gone to school and meet Mion, and therefore know her for at least a year. When you know a classmate or friend for at least a year, you tend to learn about a person's family background.

I won't discount that maybe Rena went to school late and therefore knows Mion for far less than a year. Also perhaps their friendship is unusual in that they don't talk about family matters. Nevertheless if Mion chose not to mention Shion that act is suspicious in itself.

Additionally, consider again that Hinamizawa is a small rural town. Where I assume people would know about one another. This reinforces the odd fact that Rena didnít know about Shion in Ep.5, which is over a year since she arrived.

This highlights another oddity that was pointed by somebody else; the shady reputation of the Sonozaki family and Mion's troubles with the dam project worker. Keiichi was not aware of this despite Hinamizawa being a small place. Granted Keiichi has lived in the town for just one month, so his ignorance of the Sonozakiís reputation is plausible. But that is hard to believe given their influence and pervasiveness in politics and the local businesses.

Maybe the producers overlooked what seems like commonsense reasoning in order to create suspense and mystery.
----------------------------------------------------------
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni
  • Ryuguu Reina (Rena) - 竜宮礼奈 (レナ) (seiyuu: Nakahara Mai)
She moved back to Hinamizawa one year before and is in the same grade-level as Keiichi.


----------------------------------------------------------
__________________
SvenTheSweeper is offline  
Old 2006-05-09, 18:54   Link #83
Archuka
A territory most absolute
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finland
Age: 28
I just watched ep 4 and 5 and got confused (but I loved it anyway). Then I read this thread and I'm still confused.

How exactly are Onikakushi and Watanagashi related? Someone said that they are kind of two versions of what could have happened, however, I don't see how anyone's supposed to solve any mysteries if they keep changing the events like that. It doesn't make sense!

Anyway, I have to say this is the most intriguing anime I have ever seen. I still roll my eyes at many of the comedic scenes and I don't particularly like the way the characters are drawn at times, but damn, the plot delivers!
Archuka is offline  
Old 2006-05-09, 19:12   Link #84
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
I just watched ep 4 and 5 and got confused (but I loved it anyway). Then I read this thread and I'm still confused.

How exactly are Onikakushi and Watanagashi related? Someone said that they are kind of two versions of what could have happened, however, I don't see how anyone's supposed to solve any mysteries if they keep changing the events like that. It doesn't make sense!

Anyway, I have to say this is the most intriguing anime I have ever seen. I still roll my eyes at many of the comedic scenes and I don't particularly like the way the characters are drawn at times, but damn, the plot delivers!
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=33

For example, just like everyone seems to have noticed:

Q: Why did Mion know Keiichi was with Oishi back in Onikakushi-hen?
A: Because as you find out in Watanagashi, she has a relative that works there.

That's how.
kj1980 is offline  
Old 2006-05-09, 20:56   Link #85
Green≤
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=33

For example, just like everyone seems to have noticed:

Q: Why did Mion know Keiichi was with Oishi back in Onikakushi-hen?
A: Because as you find out in Watanagashi, she has a relative that works there.

That's how.
Spoiler for Well,.. assuming that that was even Mion:


Edit:
Spoiler for Ok, so going by this::

Last edited by Green≤; 2006-05-09 at 22:28.
Green≤ is offline  
Old 2006-05-10, 03:04   Link #86
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
SvenTheSweeper-> Also
Spoiler:
Additionally, consider again that Hinamizawa is a small rural town. Where I assume people would know about one another. This reinforces the odd fact that Rena didnít know about Shion in Ep.5, which is over a year since she arrived.
As Mion said in episode 5, Shion does not live in Hinamizawa, but in Okinomiya. That's why 'technically' Rena and the others never met Shion (though we can safely assume that Shion disguised herself as Mion a couple of times, and viceversa).
Shinndou is offline  
Old 2006-05-10, 05:05   Link #87
Archuka
A territory most absolute
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=33

For example, just like everyone seems to have noticed:

Q: Why did Mion know Keiichi was with Oishi back in Onikakushi-hen?
A: Because as you find out in Watanagashi, she has a relative that works there.

That's how.
Ah, it's all clear now. Thank you .

I didn't realize there was a Shion in Onikakushi-hen as well, but her existence does explain how Mion knew certain things. Perhaps there even were scenes in Onikakushi where Mion was actually Shion, but I'd have to rewatch Onikakushi to make sure if there is a reason to believe Shion might have appeared in it. I don't think I'll bother to rewatch it so soon after I've already seen it once, however.
Archuka is offline  
Old 2006-05-10, 12:33   Link #88
Boukenxha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
For example, just like everyone seems to have noticed:

Q: Why did Mion know Keiichi was with Oishi back in Onikakushi-hen?
A: Because as you find out in Watanagashi, she has a relative that works there.

That's how.
Tell me I'm not thinking too hard. *Does a Mion trademark laugh* Aha-ahaha-ahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
I do think that was Mion that was murdered, not Shion, since personality-wise, she seemed normal. Keiichi just took out the wrong people, since I still believe both girls are innocent.
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by Boukenxha; 2006-05-10 at 14:27.
Boukenxha is offline  
Old 2006-05-10, 14:55   Link #89
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exciting Mascot Village~Paya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou
As Mion said in episode 5, Shion does not live in Hinamizawa, but in Okinomiya. That's why 'technically' Rena and the others never met Shion (though we can safely assume that Shion disguised herself as Mion a couple of times, and viceversa).

Your point is well taken.

Consider this scenario in real life:
Haven't you ever talked about your relatives to a friend (who you've known for more than one year), and yet he/she has never met them and your relatives live in another town?

The living distance between Mino and Shion, in Hinamizawa and Okinomiya respectively, was not what mattered to me as much as what do friends (i.e. Rena and Mion) disclose to each. If it is then, then chime in.

My original thesis was that: 1- people living in small town setting tend to know each other well, and news travels fast, 2-friends will talk about their families. I know this a generalization and there are exceptions, but I believe the point is mostly valid. In Rena case's she has known Mion for at least a year (I assume). In that time Mion has not mentioned Shion to Rena. Obviously it can a matter of innocent omission on Mion's part. However it struck me more as Mion being secretive. I didn't see this being mentioned in the forum, so I wanted to put it up for disscussion. Hopefully as the story progresses we will how important this is.

Another matter I wanted to put up for discussion to help flesh out the Dam construction + Sonozaki family+Mion/Shion+Oyashiro-sama connection is:

Given how powerful and influential the Sonozakis (i.e. Mion's uncles, the businessmen, and the politicians) are, it seemed odd that Keiichi and the gang (i..e Rena, Rika, and Houjou) havenít shown any awareness of their reputation. An obvious explanation is that kids their age are sheltered from or are not interested in the politics and business dealings of the area. Additionally the townspeople could be helping the Sonozakis and/or keeping quiet to avoid trouble. Therefore Keiichi and the gang don't know what's going on. Another possiblity-> how much the gang knows will be revealed in later epsiode.
__________________

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-10 at 15:59.
SvenTheSweeper is offline  
Old 2006-05-10, 15:51   Link #90
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exciting Mascot Village~Paya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu
Tell me I'm not thinking too hard. *Does a Mion trademark laugh* Aha-ahaha-ahahaha



Spoiler:
I have similar thougths-
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-10 at 16:02.
SvenTheSweeper is offline  
Old 2007-12-30, 22:44   Link #91
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
can someone clear something up for me. Is each chapter an alternate reality or is the first chapter(the first 4 eps) the main story and the other chapters(5+ episodes) what happened in between the first 4 eps?

Someone explain please
__________________
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Nine Devil is offline  
Old 2007-12-30, 23:01   Link #92
Rayneing
Trombe!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England.
Age: 24
Alternate reality.
Rayneing is offline  
Old 2007-12-30, 23:07   Link #93
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
more details please, why is it that way? To clear the mysteries or something. EXPLAIN
__________________
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Nine Devil is offline  
Old 2007-12-30, 23:19   Link #94
Rayneing
Trombe!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England.
Age: 24
Keep watching the show, heh. Seriously, it'll take away from all the fun if someone explains it all to you.
Rayneing is offline  
Old 2007-12-31, 00:14   Link #95
June 1983
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warwick, RI
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil View Post
more details please, why is it that way? To clear the mysteries or something. EXPLAIN
These alternate realities are basically the heart of the show ... the fact that there are alternate realities basically is the plot. So to say much more would spoil all the fun. However, if you want more info, you might want to begin reading the TIPs that have been translated in this forum; they're labelled by episode number and sometimes fill in information which isn't in the anime.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31732
June 1983 is offline  
Old 2010-01-23, 02:01   Link #96
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Woah, what an opening, was not expecting that. That was quite disturbing. Especially in contrast to the way the rest of the episode played out. Interesting Mion has a twin. Considering what I read here, it's quite possible that it's that stun gun in that holster, I too was thinking it could be a stun gun of sorts, while watching the show but I didn't know they had those in '83 though, that or a water gun.
__________________
OkamiNoKaze is offline  
Old 2010-02-10, 22:15   Link #97
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
Spoiler for Opening scene.:
__________________
Life is not so much random chocolates,
as it is a can of sour soda that we open up, and guzzle down.
We know it is sour, but we will drink it anyway.

Never Knows Best is offline  
Old 2010-02-10, 23:08   Link #98
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where dimensions collide...
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
Spoiler for Opening scene.:

Oh, come on. You know we can't just give that away. Even if we gave you the simple answer, you still wouldn't get it.
__________________
I'm not afraid of tomorrowI'm only scared of myself
Dante of the Inferno is offline  
Old 2010-02-10, 23:17   Link #99
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Oh, come on. You know we can't just give that away. Even if we gave you the simple answer, you still wouldn't get it.
Lol well I am just really confused because so far I've finished 3 arcs and only the first one had the opening end game occur in the arc.

The other two arcs never showed the opening end game part.

It really kept me up last night trying to figure out why they showed that.

Once I finish the series will the end game openings make more sense or will they all just be random end game scenes that have nothing to do with the arc?
__________________
Life is not so much random chocolates,
as it is a can of sour soda that we open up, and guzzle down.
We know it is sour, but we will drink it anyway.

Never Knows Best is offline  
Old 2010-02-11, 00:12   Link #100
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Knows Best View Post
Once I finish the series will the end game openings make more sense or will they all just be random end game scenes that have nothing to do with the arc?
Just keep watching. All I'll say is some point in the 5th arc you'll get the explanation behind the scene at the beginning of the 2nd arc.
__________________
SilverSyko is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.