AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2004-01-07, 00:38   Link #1
shinji_ikari
Inactive Member

Smile Best DivX setting to rip DVD anime

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the DivX scene and I recently purchased the DivX Pro codec (it was on sale for $14.99 ^_^) . Basically I been buying a lot of legit anime DVDs and I want to be able to back them up to DivX.

I use a wonderful DVD 2 DivX guide here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...anamorphic.cfm

and convert them to DivX but I only use 1-pass, encoding bit rate is 780 kbps and I use the default setting DivX setting using VirtualDub. The files end up 300-400MB and I'm not seeing a good quality (resolution: 640 x 480). I recently did Cowboy Bebop and the episodes range from 388 to 400MB.

Can anybody please share some of their experiences using the Divx Pro codec settings and/or ways that they back up their DVDs? Should I be using an alternative like Xvid?

I'm not greatly interested in preserving all the DVD special features but I'm more interested in packing in as many episodes as I can on a DVD-R but with reasonable quality.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~j
shinji_ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 00:41   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Best DivX setting: Uninstall

Use XVid 1.0 Beta 3. :P
Old 2004-01-07, 01:37   Link #3
holyangel
Kawaii Fantasy

Xvid 1.0 is not really recommend for new users, infact even some experts perfer using the api3 version to the api4.

However DivX is meant for compression at the expense of quality, so don't use it hehe, unless you are as smart as the people who created DivX.

http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Go there and download the Latest dev-api-3 (unstable) binary and install it.

hehehe however, DVD ripping is not really recommended, Digital Raws are way better then DVD Raws actually, because almost 80% of all DVD encoding are encoded wrongly ^^, no matter what codec you use to encode, once after the deinterlace section, the video quality will drop from awesome to crappy wahhaahha...

But I'm evil wahaha I won't give my secret tatics away wahaha.. I even took down my DVD ripping guide wahahah.. evil me wahahaha... :fingers:
Old 2004-01-07, 11:20   Link #4
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyangel
Xvid 1.0 is not really recommend for new users, infact even some experts perfer using the api3 version to the api4.

However DivX is meant for compression at the expense of quality, so don't use it hehe, unless you are as smart as the people who created DivX.

http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Go there and download the Latest dev-api-3 (unstable) binary and install it.

hehehe however, DVD ripping is not really recommended, Digital Raws are way better then DVD Raws actually, because almost 80% of all DVD encoding are encoded wrongly ^^, no matter what codec you use to encode, once after the deinterlace section, the video quality will drop from awesome to crappy wahhaahha...

But I'm evil wahaha I won't give my secret tatics away wahaha.. I even took down my DVD ripping guide wahahah.. evil me wahahaha... :fingers:
All I can say to that is use Yatta Yatta 0wnz
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 19:51   Link #5
shinji_ikari
Inactive Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will re-read that info on Xvid. Can anybody please recommend a good tutorial. If one is available? (or can share? *wink* *wink*)

Sadly I am not even sure where to get these DVD Raws that holyangel mentioned int he post and I'm only stuck with the original DVD (i.e. Bandia or ADV for example). In any event, I'm still curious on how to get this going.

Thanks again.

~j
shinji_ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 00:06   Link #6
Mcgreag
Gunnm junkie

www.doom9.org
No need to comment.
Mcgreag is offline   Reply With Quote