AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-05-05, 13:24   Link #1
CaiSter21

Dell or Viewsonic monitor?

so im current looking into getting a new computer and i am now at the stage where i am looking for a good lcd screen which is good for both gaming and entertainment.

so i am down to two options,
the Dell Ultrasharp 1907FP 19" monitor
or the Viewsonic VP930 19" monitor
Old 2006-05-05, 13:43   Link #2
SlugZilla
woofles

From the two I'd get the Viewsonic. The new Dell line sucks, it's worse than the previous generation. But... 19" is basically the same 1280x1024 resolution as the 17" though, with just larger pixel pitch. It's also not very wide for movies.
I'd recommend the 20" widescreen LCDs, as those are all the rage. They run 1680x1050 resolution which is good for anime and movies.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 21:27   Link #3
ImperialPanda

I think Samsung is supposedly best right now. But at any rate Viewsonic is better than Dell. (although stats might help)
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 23:40   Link #4
SlugZilla
woofles

The panel technology inside the displays is more important than the manufacturers in every case. Don't buy because of X brand for LCD, because it is different from model to model, and generation to generation.

Here's some recommendations of my own:

ViewSonic VX2025wm - Probably one of the best bang for the buck. Good colors, and response time is great. Great for games and movies. I don't have any first hand experience with it but all the reviews give it high marks. It's very cheap at around $350 so I recommend this the most.
Reviews:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...onitors/1.html
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.ph...sk=view&id=620
Huge thread with some pics:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....2&page=1&pp=20

NEC 20WMGX2 - Arguably the best gaming LCD with its reponse time combined with the advantages of AS-IPS, but it's expensive at $700. It has a glossy screen which some don't like and it scores low marks for movies.

Dell 2005FPW - It's discontinued at Dell and replaced with the 2007WFP(All the 2007WFP suffers from color banding issues). The 2005FPW is a good overall monitor for any application be it movies, games or graphics. What this LCD has over the viewsonic is that it can scale resolution at 1:1 pixels and can also do portrait mode. With an S-IPS panel, it also boasts superior colors and wider viewing angles. Only problem is that that some of them suffer from backlighting problems. Mine does not exhibit any such that I've seen people complaining about, so I guess it depends on luck. Since they don't make this model anymore it might be hard to find but I recommend it because it's really good.
The 2001FP is also good if you can still find it that is...

I don't recommend a 19" monitor unless you have bad vision, because their resolution is either only 1280x1024 or 1440x900(WS). At 20"-20.1" the resolution bumps up to 1600x1200 and 1680x1050(WS) and you get a lot more pixel real estate with just an inch. If you want a 20" 4:3 aspect monitor, go for it but they are tad more expensive than the WS.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 20:19   Link #5
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I'd second the suggestion to move up to 20", widescreen or no, if you can afford it. You'll get a lot more for your money. A 19" LCD running at 1280 x 1024 is just painful.