AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-06, 11:36   Link #1
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
S.S. Astro




Description:
This 4-panel school story takes the formula popularized by Azumanga Daioh and grows it up just a bit, focusing on the school faculty rather than the students. Expect to see lots of adults behaving badly! Subculture jokes abound: one teacher tries to hide her boys’ love obsession from her coworkers; another agonizes over her lesbian crush on a homeroom teacher. Failing productivity results when a fascination with portable videogames sweeps through the faculty room and wireless racing battles ensue. The humor ranges from slapstick to subtle, and there’s even a touch of actual romance!

Published by Yen Press

Comes in today where I live, and I have been eagerly awaiting it's release since Hidamari Sketch.

MAD for moontube viewers:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm516875
> Comparison to various parodies: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm709600

DDL for others:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f...dd6c3772297944

Mangaka's Website: http://negibatake.net/
Series Profile Page: http://asashiosogo-h-metro.negibatake.net/

Some art:
Spoiler for Pictures:

Last edited by fict_ticious; 2009-03-12 at 08:34.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 12:34   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Huh.....
you mean this is a comedy manga and is actually about adults???????

I'm on it. Obviously the focus is on a group of women teachers but are there any significant male characters?
edit: seems to be a couple of male characters.... the FLV video was cute.

yeah... looks like a comfortable fit for my reading habits --- any chance of an anime in progress for it?

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-06 at 14:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 12:46   Link #3
yongshun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakland, Ca
That first pic reminds me of Kurosawa sensei from Azumanga. It sound interesting going to have to hit the bookstore this weekend.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 15:40   Link #4
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Huh.....
you mean this is a comedy manga and is actually about adults???????

I'm on it. Obviously the focus is on a group of women teachers but are there any significant male characters?
edit: seems to be a couple of male characters.... the FLV video was cute.

yeah... looks like a comfortable fit for my reading habits --- any chance of an anime in progress for it?
Yeah, High School manga about the adults. Whodathunkit?
AFIK, there's the members of the school's faculty, including Izumi's brother.
As for an animu, goodness man, this is barely on its second volume. But I, for one, would welcome our new anime adaptation overlords.


Quote:
That first pic reminds me of Kurosawa sensei from Azumanga. It sound interesting going to have to hit the bookstore this weekend.
I always thought she's like a combination of Nyamo and Satsuki from Happy Lesson (oh lawd, The FINAL OVA was fail).

A review on the Yen Press release:
http://www.tiamatsreviews.com/?p=1203
Good review. Seems the biggest flaw in this particular series is consistency on the story's part.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 01:45   Link #5
yongshun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakland, Ca
Picked up today cause I had time to go to a local bookstore and man it is funny, Izumi may look like Kurosawa but she has the personality of Yukari. The rest of the cast completely reminds me of all the girls from Azumanga, with all their crazy antics too bad they didn't introduce someone that would remind me of Sakaki.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 06:07   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Description:
This 4-panel school story takes the formula popularized by Azumanga Daioh and grows it up just a bit, focusing on the school faculty rather than the students. Expect to see lots of adults behaving badly! Subculture jokes abound: one teacher tries to hide her boys’ love obsession from her coworkers; another agonizes over her lesbian crush on a homeroom teacher. Failing productivity results when a fascination with portable videogames sweeps through the faculty room and wireless racing battles ensue. The humor ranges from slapstick to subtle, and there’s even a touch of actual romance!
Thanks for the heads-up on this title, it certainly will be one I shall try, will order it. Will have to look at more of the Yen Press releases, already have Sunshine Sketch Vol 1 but I didn't notice this title at all and might have well missed it altogether if not for you creating the thread.

BTW, I've changed the thread title to S.S. Astro.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 08:10   Link #7
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on this title, it certainly will be one I shall try, will order it. Will have to look at more of the Yen Press releases, already have Sunshine Sketch Vol 1 but I didn't notice this title at all and might have well missed it altogether if not for you creating the thread.

BTW, I've changed the thread title to S.S. Astro.
Good catch. I was wonderin' why the title didn't retain the caps.
Btw, Yen Press also has Bamboo Blade listed.

Last edited by fict_ticious; 2008-08-09 at 07:49.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 04:18   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Picked up volume 1 today....... I can recommend this as pretty damned funny

Thanks to the OP fict_ticious for spotlighting this
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 00:01   Link #9
Avisch
Reality Blender
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
good call giving this a thread fac_ticious. Nice find with that MAD aswell (wasn't expecting Nursery Rhyme )

I picked up volume 1 last week. I recommend this. It reminds me a little of Azumanga Daioh. But overall it's direction makes it different in a good way.
The art (despite being a 4koma series) is quite detailed, and all very nice.

And in case anyone was wondering. The original Japanese name is Kyokan Astro (much thanks to YenPress who are writing the original titles on page in the back). Kyokan means warship (though I don't know if the Kanji makes it mean anything different). And for those who missed the stuff on the cover ASTRO stands for "Asahio Sogo Teacher's ROom".

My favorite character would be Nagumo. She the most passive character, and because of that she has a bunch of cute moments (well just as much as the rest). Also:
Spoiler for spoiler well kind of:



The romance (well aside from Karasuma) hasn't been shown much. The only real male characters are Maki's brother and Taniuchi.
Spoiler for random things I like about first volume:



Also not enough Hibiya-sensei.
__________________

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 00:32   Link #10
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
If you're looking for a male love interest, you wont find any. This is a yuri manga, much like Suzunari!! only more pronounced
__________________
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:43   Link #11
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
If you're looking for a male love interest, you wont find any. This is a yuri manga, much like Suzunari!! only more pronounced
Speaking of Suzunari, it seems Yen Press picking up 4koma titles isn't by accident.

As for male love interests, I think they've only touched on that subject - though I doubt we've seen the last of it. Particularly Izumi's (childish?) aversion to the subject.

Can't really decide who my favorite is out of the main cast :V

Oh, and some avatars are available here:
http://www.edit.ne.jp/~hinomoto/fl/i...c/chibi01.html

And it looks like even this series is not spared from the inevitable course of things in moonland/on the internet.
Spoiler for For pantsu:
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 11:39   Link #12
einhorn303
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Age: 26
Eh? I didn't think a manga (outside Yotsuba) would ever get an adult doujinshi for it. I thought that was mostly for anime and games, more big budget productions.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 11:55   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Having just come from an anime-con, its always surprising how many titles of any sort get the "porn doujinshi" treatment.

Actually that looks .... less sexy ... than the real book, but then porn doujinshi sometimes gets too clinical rather than erotic.

Back to the original manga, I've read through the first manga a few times now. The translation is awkward/literal at times but I actually appreciate that since it gives me a clue on the original language. Someone completely unfamiliar with Japanese may scratch their heads every few pages. I will say a fair percentage of it is re-readable hilarious.

edit: hmmm, will have to check out Sunshine Sketch and Shoulder-a-coffin Kuro...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-31 at 12:05.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 22:03   Link #14
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Eh? I didn't think a manga (outside Yotsuba) would ever get an adult doujinshi for it. I thought that was mostly for anime and games, more big budget productions.
Sometimes not the case (see last Exile. Very little of it, such a waste). Can be explained through the laws of Reverse Internet Causality/Faye Valentine Clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually that looks .... less sexy ... than the real book, but then porn doujinshi sometimes gets too clinical rather than erotic.
Dunno. Looking at the sample pages, it seems pretty fappable. I'm a little tempted out of curiosity...

Quote:
Back to the original manga, I've read through the first manga a few times now. The translation is awkward/literal at times but I actually appreciate that since it gives me a clue on the original language. Someone completely unfamiliar with Japanese may scratch their heads every few pages. I will say a fair percentage of it is re-readable hilarious.
Particularly about Nagumo-sensei. A first time reader might be a little out of the loop when it comes to her quirks. Also the school trip one.

As for the translation, there is one particular translator's note that really stuck out and I thought was kind of unnecessary (tl note for page 87). I've looked the thing over and I don't see the "Initial R" reference anywhere :V.

Also, like I mentioned in my Hidamari Sketch review, Yen Press is kinda lazy with some of the editing (ie. signs, letters, sfx). There were many instances where there would be a sign or piece of paper and they would jam small translations in the border between panels - it just doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, it is pretty re-readable and probably something you could have hanging around the bathroom.

Quote:
edit: hmmm, will have to check out Sunshine Sketch and Shoulder-a-coffin Kuro...
Haven't checked out the Kuro one myself, but the preview to Suzunari has me interested as well.

Been looking through some of the latest chapters of SS Astro, and it looks like it's a series worth sticking to. There seem to even be *gasp* serious moments. I still kinda wish they did more in-class scenes (familiar territory).
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 03:08   Link #15
h8GWB
LEVEL 6-Master Troller
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Inbetween a Kikuchi Makoto and a Ganata Hibikin
Send a message via AIM to h8GWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Also not enough Hibiya-sensei.
AGREED.

Hibiya Saki-san reminds me of Otohime Mutsumi-chan (my fav(my only fav)) from Love Hina. To the point of becoming a direct ripoff. Which makes Hibiya so lovely in the first place. *Ara-ara*

Also, S.S. Asto art would be greatly appreciated. Esspecially the 18+ kind.

NO YAOI, though

Yen Press FTW.
__________________
Phrases often uttered:
"One man's premature is another man's quickie."
"I'm not male Haruhi, GODDAMMIT!"
"so poor, need employme....ZOMGz! NEW FIGMAS!"

Haruhi might be the biggest thing since pie.....which really hurts pie's feelings.

Salutations! ....and stuff
h8GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 08:16   Link #16
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8GWB View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
Also, S.S. Asto art would be greatly appreciated. Esspecially the 18+ kind.

NO YAOI, though
Nagumo sensei would like a word with you :V
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 08:21   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8GWB View Post
Also, S.S. Asto art would be greatly appreciated. Esspecially the 18+ kind.

NO YAOI, though

Yen Press FTW.
It should be a little difficult to have Yaoi with so few male cast.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 23:06   Link #18
h8GWB
LEVEL 6-Master Troller
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Inbetween a Kikuchi Makoto and a Ganata Hibikin
Send a message via AIM to h8GWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It should be a little difficult to have Yaoi with so few male cast.
I don't know. Nagumo Yuko-chan might have given the fangirls enough ideas.


No one wants to discuss Hibiya-san instead? Anyone?
*Hibiya-tentei.....* (♥_♥)
__________________
Phrases often uttered:
"One man's premature is another man's quickie."
"I'm not male Haruhi, GODDAMMIT!"
"so poor, need employme....ZOMGz! NEW FIGMAS!"

Haruhi might be the biggest thing since pie.....which really hurts pie's feelings.

Salutations! ....and stuff
h8GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 15:52   Link #19
Avisch
Reality Blender
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8GWB View Post
AGREED.

Hibiya Saki-san reminds me of Otohime Mutsumi-chan (my fav(my only fav)) from Love Hina. To the point of becoming a direct ripoff. Which makes Hibiya so lovely in the first place. *Ara-ara*

Also, S.S. Asto art would be greatly appreciated. Esspecially the 18+ kind.

Yen Press FTW.
Well I wouldn't call Hibiya a rip-off of Otohime, cause the whole "ara-ara=, smiling with eyes closed character" is being used alot now. No telling who the original was.

On yaoi
No one remembers Nagumo noticing of the one guy yelling "SHINOZAKI" ? and then she of course says "hot pairing..."
Greatest implications ever.
__________________

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 17:05   Link #20
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
No one remembers Nagumo noticing of the one guy yelling "SHINOZAKI" ? and then she of course says "hot pairing..."
IIRC, she fills in the rest of the sentence for him in her mind. I dunno, to actively fantasize about your co-workers is a little...
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.