AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-07-23, 20:16   Link #81
GUTB_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Sub-par anime.

Budget so-so animation. I don't know who could come up with this story without meaning to do a parody. You can have a show with poor sisters, but you can do without the exploding sakura petals whenever they think about something like carrots and rice. And the constant blushing, what is that -- like they're just filled with joy because fo their poorness or something?
__________________
The Super Genius
GUTB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 04:04   Link #82
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Yeah, but we're being shown this story of poverty is thru rose-colored glasses. It's one thing to show people in poverty. It's another thing to be totally unrealistic about it. This show borders on a celebration of living in poverty when the author chose an extreme scenario to use imo.

Quote:
No man is so poor as to have nothing worth giving. Give what you have. To someone it may be better than you dare to think.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(Quote was found on this site.)

But...

You can't maintain an apartment, buy food and school supplies including uniforms by delivering newspapers unless you are doing something illegal on the side. Being female, the usual outlet is in the sex trade business. Any reasonable adult would have called child protection on them a long time ago.

No one is going to remain on friendly terms with someone who feeds their potential meal to a pet alligator. If you are hungry enough to consider 2 crusts of bread + filling as a sandwich, then why did you let someone have your meat in the first place?

To me, seeing people, esp. 2 children, struggle to make ends meet isn't something that I'd consider as a "feel good" anime title.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 12:17   Link #83
raphaŽl
trainee archangel
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: actually quite close to Jim Morrison
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to raphaŽl Send a message via Skype™ to raphaŽl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare
For someone who live in a third world country (namely me), it's not that cheesy at all. There are actually some kids that are living alone(some abandoned by their parents and still manage to go to school). Some happenings in real life are even more sad than this anime.
Of course, I didn't mean poverty doesn't exist. Especially in Japan. Believe me, I'm broke atm, and I know what it's like to live in Japan and being broke, surrounded by so many cool things you can't afford.

I just hate it when poverty is "esthetized" like that. No, you can't be happy living with less than a few hundred yens a day. That's bullshit. No, having a sibling doesn't save you. No, you don't smile faintly when you're poor. You don't cry either. You just hit on walls, or the sibling in question.

By cheesy I meant the awful japanese way of trying to talk you into "trying harder because it will always get better eventually. Trying harder because that's the only thing you have to do... etc"

But I won't repeat what I think of this series or I'm gonna get flamed...
__________________
YOU USED TO BE ALRIGHT, WHAT HAPPENED?
and my literary blog, in french :
www.pourlamaingauche.net
raphaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 15:13   Link #84
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 加拿大
Age: 28
I too, should add my drop of voice into the muddy puddle. At the first episode, I was undecided, as I couldn’t quite tell if this could be enjoyably sentimental or overly mushy. But after watching the third episode, it is clear now, I've had enough. I now belong to the “show is excessively sappy” group. The final straw for me came in the form of the pink petals/hearts aura that appears everytime at the slightest hint of tenderness between Kyou and Asu, as others above have complained about. It's tolerable once or twice in judicious scenes, but not cheaply a dime a dozen times. I lost count how many times that effect came on in episode three, but it was too much, and it became retchingly untolerable. Kind of like Ginko-chan’s expression here. Ugh. This flaw fatally exposes that the show is too deliberately and ignorantly cheery through the refuge of sibling love. As orion succinctly puts it: "poverty through rose-colored glasses". Sorry, but these glasses are too weary on my eyes and I have to take them off now.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 08:43   Link #85
lavielove
...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
I too, should add my drop of voice into the muddy puddle. At the first episode, I was undecided, as I couldn’t quite tell if this could be enjoyably sentimental or overly mushy. But after watching the third episode, it is clear now, I've had enough. I now belong to the “show is excessively sappy” group. The final straw for me came in the form of the pink petals/hearts aura that appears everytime at the slightest hint of tenderness between Kyou and Asu, as others above have complained about. It's tolerable once or twice in judicious scenes, but not cheaply a dime a dozen times. I lost count how many times that effect came on in episode three, but it was too much, and it became retchingly untolerable. Kind of like Ginko-chan’s expression here. Ugh. This flaw fatally exposes that the show is too deliberately and ignorantly cheery through the refuge of sibling love. As orion succinctly puts it: "poverty through rose-colored glasses". Sorry, but these glasses are too weary on my eyes and I have to take them off now.
Allow me to defend and discuss.About the heart-petels.That's a metaphore from my point of view.Those kind of metaphores could be seen ranging from Ourhan High school host club to Pani-Poni-Dash and even in Air-Gear.About the facts that being pointed out so far,my tiny brain will burst out if I have to carry all those facts to watch this kind of anime.It's very hard for a person like me to watch the anime like this with a long with a list of statistics.I fell in love with the anime like IchigoMashimaro not for the loli factor but for the mutual affection of the characters that was being illustrated and a real cuteness of those little girls.The same apply in here too.Binbou Shimai Monogatari might be lacking in some of the artworks compared to the anime like Ichigo Mashimaro but the path they took is not to the ero or action trends.It's good to see this type of anime still exist in these days.Accept my apology if I sound too fanboyish,I don't mean to hurt anybody for liking this show too.

Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-07-25 at 09:41. Reason: spelling
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 22:19   Link #86
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 加拿大
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
Allow me to defend and discuss.About the heart-petels.That's a metaphore from my point of view.Those kind of metaphores could be seen ranging from Ourhan High school host club to Pani-Poni-Dash and even in Air-Gear.About the facts that being pointed out so far,my tiny brain will burst out if I have to carry all those facts to watch this kind of anime.It's very hard for a person like me to watch the anime like this with a long with a list of statistics.I fell in love with the anime like IchigoMashimaro not for the loli factor but for the mutual affection of the characters that was being illustrated and a real cuteness of those little girls.The same apply in here too.Binbou Shimai Monogatari might be lacking in some of the artworks compared to the anime like Ichigo Mashimaro but the path they took is not to the ero or action trends.It's good to see this type of anime still exist in these days.Accept my apology if I sound too fanboyish,I don't mean to hurt anybody for liking this show too.
Hmm, strange. Your post did not bump the thread, and nor did it register as the last post. Anyways, I just have one thing to ask from your opinion for clarification. A metaphor for what exactly in this case? Of their sibling love? Those effects as a "metaphor" you say may vary in meaning in different contexts in other shows of different nature (like those rose effects in Ouran at times may indicate coolness). I'll expand a bit more on my view of this issue. I see the purpose of the pink rosey effects as nothing more than to exemplify/bolster the affection and relationship between Kyou and Asu. Such a function is fine, when sparingly but acutely used, such as after whatever hardships they've endured in an episode, such an effect at the resolution (perhaps preferably on the final scene and fade out with the effect) can serve to demonstrate the strength of their kinship. But like I said above, when the effect appears at every possible opportunity even in common interaction, it only serves to cheapen the effect, and one may come across it as being a bit too blatant and insistent to take it as manipulative. It feels like someone is hammering the message into my mind "Their sibling love is super-duper-quadruple pure and stalwart. And with those roses around them, nothing can defeat them. NOTHING!" Yes yes, I get it the first time around, no need to superficially exaggerate their behaviors through that effect constantly. But then again, I have an obstinate heart. Ah well...

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-07-25 at 22:30.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 22:27   Link #87
Laharu
mao de makai
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
I just finished episodes 1-3 and I think it's pretty ok. A little sappy at times and stuff, but I don't mind it...that much >_>
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 23:06   Link #88
guest
guess
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I don't care about the cherry blossom petals being everyhwere. This show is just unrealistic. For the sake of argument, let's say that they slip throught the crack of children protection system for whatever reason because we all know that it happens. Adults cannot help for whatever reason; it happens sometimes but I just don't see why it should be the case in these sisters' situation. Let's put these aside, shall we?
Surviving on the salary of delivering newspapers alone is just impossible. They can even afford to go to school!! For two! They have that little studio appartment! Seriously, that apt is better than my apt IN THE BASEMENT when I was a grad student, except we had a bathroom. I do believe that living expense is higher in Japan than US.
I hope that they are not praising poverty because it is a very sad thing. I thought the sisters had to work their tails off for this but they are happy for being poor!?? That poor!!?? That is not right.
__________________
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 00:07   Link #89
Zhemos
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blah
Age: 31
Of course It's unrealistic, It's a cartoon!

I don't believe reality should be debated. thats like aguring how unreal Gundams are.

That aside, I'm really enjoying this anime. Slice of life shows are my favorite type of anime. I think the two girls are quite charming.
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 12:30   Link #90
lavielove
...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
In one of the graphic design section I've attended.I was taught that reusing a particular pattern could make a person's mind to remember the thing that was being shown.The following screencap is an scene that illustrate Asu's thought when she was fighting with Ginko over a meat.In this scene, one can see the leaves like patten around them too.



Accept my apology for being straight forward.For the anime viewer who have watched Yuri animes or have a slight knowledge of that genre,Yuri,when the similar graphic patterns is shown in the scene where two sister hugging each other,his/her mind might be started to switch on another kind of theme that totally stray away from the based theme of a show.

Let's say for example,if I show this anime to my 7 years old young-sister or a brother who has not watch yuri or anime that depciting forbidden-love(in YumeTsukai term) before, the response from them will be quite different from one Otaku who have watch over a thousand of animes in his lifetime.

Our thoughts and mind have been poisoned by anime and manga overdoes,so this kind of animes are definiately needed as the antidotes.So futher allow me shoot myself to death with the rubber bands, if I suppose to poison the antidote I have to take , my lovely friend Muir Woods.
__________________
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 13:53   Link #91
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Hmmm apparently episode 4 didn't air this week, and will air next week on the 28th.
__________________


AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 22:48   Link #92
eggplant
Eggplant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
In response to the living standards of the Yamada sisters, they can make ends meet just by Kyou's income from her part time jobs.

Paper deliveries can rake in 70-80,000 yen (600 US$) per month for morning deliveries alone, if done on a daily basis, and if she wanted to, the evening deliveries can bring in an additional 40-50,000 ($340), although some newspapers don't publish evening editions. Then again, she probably doesn't earn full wages as it doesn't look like she's at the news dealer at 3AM putting in the advertisement inserts.

We see that Kyou also does tutorial work, although I can only picture her teaching kids.

Their rent at the 40 year old apartment is 26,000 yen ($220) per month, and they should be able to limit other expenses (utilities, food, toiletries, clothing and other necessities) under 30,000 yen ($260). Tuition for grade and middle schoolers in public schools isn't anything extraodinary (provided they don't take school lunch and participate in extra curricular activites), which is subject to discount or exemption for low income families like them.

Then again, the preview for episode 5 shows a picture of their monthly financial situation in the red, so they do have keep to up with their frugal ways.

According to the website, it is stated that recent changes in law allow for middle schoolers to work, however, that has always been the case for odd jobs such as newspaper deliveries. I'm wondering if the changes allow for minors to be able to live by themselves, which in reality, they cannot without the supervision of a legal guardian, unless they're spouses.

Normally for low income households, they would receive monetary and material aid under the social security net system, but I suppose not, as they probably don't want social workers frequently visiting them and knowing of their predicament, especially about their father who is probably still their legal guardian.

This anine certainly doesn't seek to glorify poverty, but portrays the happiness and family bond that can be found in bleak circumstances.

As for Episode 4:
Spoiler for Episode 4:
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 21:19   Link #93
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Episode 4 was very good. Sure more pink petals make their apperance, but their neighbor is developed a lot more than the manga, and the chibified faces that Asu makes are so amusing.

And it's out!
__________________


AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?

Last edited by Maceart; 2006-07-28 at 23:00. Reason: Release!
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 07:23   Link #94
Mephisto2k
anime4life
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 26
I cant stand this anime anymore too. Its too exegerated heartwarming and cute that it fails to be exactly that. They try to make a big deal out of things that are no big deal and fail to present it adequately or as a fitting parody. All in all id say the targeted audience are children of too low age, or people with a wierd fetish.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 10:01   Link #95
lavielove
...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's good to see they have this kind of neighbour ^^ Asu is very cute. ya, Mephisto2k For me , I have ice-cream fetish =D

episode 4
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-07-29 at 12:40.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 16:36   Link #96
Kensuke
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finland
Now that I have watched up to episode 4, my love for this show hasn't diminished, which is strange because normally I hate overly sentimental stories but there is something in this that doesn't make me to hate this or even have negative feeling, maybe it is the constant blushing, maybe it is the cuteness factor, maybe it is the positive mood that it gives, or just simply saying that you can be happy even if you are poor.

I laughed at Ginko's expression at ep. 3 when the sister go lovey-dovey once again, while they don't realize it, someone outsider (like us) think that a little awkward.
And btw Ginko's big sister is voiced by Naomi Shindoh, Shizuru from My-HiME/Mai-Otome.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 21:58   Link #97
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
The petals are such a superficial thing, though, I can't see how so many people can find it distracting. Personally, I barely notice them.

Seen up to ep 4 now, and I continue to dig this, if only because the weight of attention given to the characters is near perfect for this type of series. I think it's really commendable that the series has never let the inconsequential stories get in the way of good old fashion character development and the amount, even if it isn't terribly profound, is substantial and, to me anyway, pretty interesting. This isn't the greatest anime ever, but I still consider it a good watch, and a good demonstration of how to do character-focused slice-of-life.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 02:36   Link #98
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 加拿大
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
The petals are such a superficial thing, though, I can't see how so many people can find it distracting. Personally, I barely notice them.
That's precisely the problem. Distracting is an inaccurate word here, it's more of the effect being...I'm running out of synonyms, cheap. And it isn't just the about the petals (it is more of a symbolic example in my argument), as orion and raphaël have pointed out. True, applying reality to anime can be a tricky business of varying degrees of difficulty, but that does not mean it should never be done/attempted, a common misconception. From this camp's point of view, the show is just too self-blinding by its own sentimentality. However, I am trying to understand the other major perspective; yes, I do clearly perceive the intent to heartwarm, which I would assert, is its primary goal. I suppose if the execution was better and more pragmatic, I can see myself appreciating the series. But this show as it is, it's like using eggs to beseige a castle: it is just not winning us over. It's apparent now that the two prominent consensuses are very polar, and I better leave this table before I stir up too much enmity.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 03:33   Link #99
lavielove
...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
The petals are such a superficial thing, though, I can't see how so many people can find it distracting. Personally, I barely notice them.

Seen up to ep 4 now, and I continue to dig this, if only because the weight of attention given to the characters is near perfect for this type of series. I think it's really commendable that the series has never let the inconsequential stories get in the way of good old fashion character development and the amount, even if it isn't terribly profound, is substantial and, to me anyway, pretty interesting. This isn't the greatest anime ever, but I still consider it a good watch, and a good demonstration of how to do character-focused slice-of-life.
In Episode 4 Kyo tries her best to be the one like their mother.According to this picture, Kyo might have a chance to see her parent and remebered how they look like.


The bound between Kyo and Asu should not be considered as cheap.>>Muir Woods.
dicussion contain spoilers for ep4
Spoiler:
__________________
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 06:12   Link #100
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
That's precisely the problem. Distracting is an inaccurate word here, it's more of the effect being...I'm running out of synonyms, cheap. And it isn't just the about the petals (it is more of a symbolic example in my argument), as orion and raphaël have pointed out. True, applying reality to anime can be a tricky business of varying degrees of difficulty, but that does not mean it should never be done/attempted, a common misconception. From this camp's point of view, the show is just too self-blinding by its own sentimentality. However, I am trying to understand the other major perspective; yes, I do clearly perceive the intent to heartwarm, which I would assert, is its primary goal. I suppose if the execution was better and more pragmatic, I can see myself appreciating the series. But this show as it is, it's like using eggs to beseige a castle: it is just not winning us over. It's apparent now that the two prominent consensuses are very polar, and I better leave this table before I stir up too much enmity.
Yeah, but as far as an over-emphasis on sentimentality compromising execution is concerned, there are far, far worse anime out there. This show is winning me over not because of how the story is presented, because I'll admit it's a weakness, but because of the attention given to the characters. I still argue that they've done a good job at giving us a decent insight into the characters; we've come to understand their motivations in each situation and their interactions are interesting and usually lead to some sort of growth, either internally or in their relationship. What more can one ask of from a slice-of-life?

Of course, this series is another case of "if you don't like the characters you're wasting you're time" since there's clearly nothing else to this series.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Yeah, but we're being shown this story of poverty is thru rose-colored glasses. It's one thing to show people in poverty. It's another thing to be totally unrealistic about it. This show borders on a celebration of living in poverty when the author chose an extreme scenario to use imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
To me, seeing people, esp. 2 children, struggle to make ends meet isn't something that I'd consider as a "feel good" anime title.
This isn't so much a celebration of poverty as it is a celebration of sisterly love. The whole poverty this isn't supposed to be anything more than a background for the girls; something to make the sisters different from a normal family and something to serve as a conflict for them every now and then. The real focus of this story is the bond between the sisters and this aspect has been done fairly well, IMO.

Anyway, if we want to nitpic about unrealistic premises, there are several anime that have them, including some of the best series such as Monster. But, once one gets past this, particularly in Monster's case, the story is amazing and a lot of it can be accredited to the focus given to the characters. Obviously Binbou Shimai Monogatari isn't in the same tier as Monster (no where near it), but I still say, once one gets past the unrealistic premise, it's a decent series with a good amount of attention on its main characters.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.