AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-08-06, 23:19   Link #321
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 35
Out in the Saimoe Tournament, I didn't see any mention of the twins. I mean, even Tusukuru and Mukkuru found their way there...
Green² is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 00:26   Link #322
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In a place where good anime is hard to find.
Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedukshun
i kinda changed ma mind now

Spoiler for episode 17:
X_X* The twins gotta be female after seeing that!!!

Besides on episode 6, when Shikinaro was displaying his wares to the people, he said he had toys for children to jewelry for women, and the camera and the view on Aruruu playing with the toys and the twins wearing the jewelry.
sasuke13 is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 01:03   Link #323
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
They did that to him in the game, basically, so why not in the anime, too?
I think you've mentioned this enough times over and over again. And there is one key point that you are missing here. It is the scene that they revealed the identity of the gender in the game. Why did you think they had that scene? Basically, it is because without that scene, if you were a game player, you would have assumed that they were female, same as Hakuoro. The fact that they left out that very important scene in itself is telling the Anime viewers to continue to believe what appears to be quite obvious... that they are female characters. I am not sure how much more blatant they can be without showing some ecchi nude scenes. They blatantly said they were girls (merchant), and they blatantly covered up the vital female areas (bed scene w/ Oboro).

Unless Oboro is gay, he seems very receptive to their serving him intimately (feeding him).

Another thing, any picture you see of them mentioning that they are boys or showing scenes of them as guys are based off the game. You should not use that as evidence for the anime.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 02:06   Link #324
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
I think you've mentioned this enough times over and over again. And there is one key point that you are missing here. It is the scene that they revealed the identity of the gender in the game. Why did you think they had that scene? Basically, it is because without that scene, if you were a game player, you would have assumed that they were female, same as Hakuoro. The fact that they left out that very important scene in itself is telling the Anime viewers to continue to believe what appears to be quite obvious... that they are female characters. I am not sure how much more blatant they can be without showing some ecchi nude scenes. They blatantly said they were girls (merchant), and they blatantly covered up the vital female areas (bed scene w/ Oboro).

Unless Oboro is gay, he seems very receptive to their serving him intimately (feeding him).

Another thing, any picture you see of them mentioning that they are boys or showing scenes of them as guys are based off the game. You should not use that as evidence for the anime.
They reveal they are male in a seperate scene. You can find the summary in this thread. The other scene, where a drunken Oboro is taken to a room by the twins, is a different scene, taking place after their gender is revealed. The bed scene is not blatantly obvious they are girls, it is open to interpretation, they are really feminine, and so they could be laying there and holding sheets like so because they are both gay and feminine. That could be a possibility. It is very womanly of them, but they can act so feminine at times and then masculine at other times. There is also the "boku tacchi" thing, which can be argued as an indicator they are male. There certainly is ambiguity. Said scenes like the bed scene and merchent selling jewelry scene could be conveying they are female, but I do offer the arguement that it could be a little bit of humor dealing with how they can be feminine and are also gay in the game.

I do not agree with the sentiments that it is clear or obvious they are female in the anime. However, something that is clear and obvious is that every major aspect of these two characters from the game are present in the anime. This is a very good and notable point that has been made. Any arguement that they must be female because they look female doesn't really hold wait, either, as the character designs are true to the character designs for the game; point being that they look feminine in the game and game artwork, as well. So if the animation company did change their gender for the anime, wouldn't they want to make this clear? Wouldn't they want to alter the character designs so it is obvious they are female, and wouldn't they want to give concrete, solid confirmation they are female? If they were to change their gender for the anime, what would be the motive to change their gender from what the character creator originally intended them to be? It probably would be to increase mass market appeal a little bit, huh? But if that was the case, they would then alter some aspects of the characters to make it clear they are female, to flaunt it for the sake of giving a bit more appeal to the masses. However, as mentioned, their character designs haven't been altered so it is clear they are female; it remains true to the original character designs. There is no concrete and solid confirmation that they are female in the anime. So with these things being the case, and that there is no clear indication or confirmation that they are female in the anime rendition, and thus, that certainly isn't being flaunted, if they did want to change their gender for the anime to appeal more to some fans, they sure as heck didn't pull that off well at all, now did they?

With the case being that they have portrayed these two characters in the anime essentially just as they are portrayed in the game, I say the case really is they are male in the anime unless there is definitive confirmation that they are female characters in the series.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 02:09   Link #325
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
@thundrakkon

Good view of looking at things, but I think we could go over that arguement of the studio focusing the Anime for their main demographic of game-players yet again: because those who have played the game and KNOW that they are boys, so those "blatantly female" scenes may be inserted for the humour of those who know that their sex is Male. In anycase, if I went further, I'd be basing it of the game.

You also leave out the possibility that such a "revelation of their gender" scene may come - imagine what an impact it'll make when revealed after the bed scene!
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 11:26   Link #326
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In a place where good anime is hard to find.
Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
I'm just going out on a limb ( bvery weak limb...) but maybe the twins can switch genders...or they're trans-gender/bi...or maybe one is female one is male, maybe if someone wrote a letter to the writer of Utawarerermono, and asked them...
sasuke13 is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 14:51   Link #327
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
You also leave out the possibility that such a "revelation of their gender" scene may come - imagine what an impact it'll make when revealed after the bed scene!
True, that would make quite an impact, since it was such an essential scene in determining their gender in the game as well. Without that scene, in the game, the player would probably believe they are female, and we would probably not have this debate going on.

Therefore, I will stand my ground that the scene would be necessary in the anime as well if they are anything else but female.

I bet the latest they could mention it is either episode 22, or maybe an Omake/OVA.

Question though: What impact would it have on you (any game player arguing that they are male) if the anime went out and said they are female with a hot springs scene, with the twins bathing with the rest of Hakuoro's harem? I know how I would feel if it was determined that they are male: "Oh well, they stuck with game" sort of attitude and umm... poor Oboro...
__________________
thundrakkon is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 22:02   Link #328
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
True, that would make quite an impact, since it was such an essential scene in determining their gender in the game as well. Without that scene, in the game, the player would probably believe they are female, and we would probably not have this debate going on.

Therefore, I will stand my ground that the scene would be necessary in the anime as well if they are anything else but female.
Very good conclusion (in bold); and I would agree with it except for one thing (in underlined) -> the fact remains that they have revealed it in the game, so your conclusion at this point doesnt neccessarily hold true. Simply: since it has been already revealed (tho in another medium) the possibility remains that it may affect the course taken in the Anime. Anyhow, to each his own; and you've made some convincing/deep arguments to your point.

About your question, I'm not a game player, but my initial reaction would be one of "Oh crap I was wrong!" Then I would breathe a sigh of relief for Oboro. And start fapping.
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-08-07, 22:42   Link #329
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 31
There is a bit of confusion here, that scene in the game is not when it is revealed they are male. It happens after a scene in which Hakauro finds out they are male. I'll get the summary, found somewhere in the earlier pages of the thread.


Here is the summary of the scene.

Spoiler:



Brief summary of when Oboro is taken advantage of while being drunk in the game.

Spoiler:



These are from this post on page 2 of this thread:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=35
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 01:03   Link #330
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
^ So they showed the Oboro-bed scene after revealing the sex of the Twins. Interesting, and this only leaves me with more questions why they have not revealed the sex of the twins in the Anime despite already having shown the bed scene.

IMO, they have something up their sleeve. Tho that does not neccessarily mean they will make the twins female. If anything, I think it smacks of misdirection leading up to a twist!
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 14:27   Link #331
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
^ So they showed the Oboro-bed scene after revealing the sex of the Twins. Interesting, and this only leaves me with more questions why they have not revealed the sex of the twins in the Anime despite already having shown the bed scene.

IMO, they have something up their sleeve. Tho that does not neccessarily mean they will make the twins female. If anything, I think it smacks of misdirection leading up to a twist!
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they left it ambiguous. It stimulates discussion, and keeps the anime on people's minds. Also, some people are squeamish about homosexuality. Some may have found themselves attracted to the twins, assuming they were female. A confirmation that they are male will probably make some fans very uncomfortable. Keep their sex ambiguous, and you don't run as much of a risk of alienating them.

Then again, you could be right. The animators may have something up their sleeves. It could make for a big comedic moment.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 14:42   Link #332
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
^ So they showed the Oboro-bed scene after revealing the sex of the Twins. Interesting, and this only leaves me with more questions why they have not revealed the sex of the twins in the Anime despite already having shown the bed scene.

IMO, they have something up their sleeve. Tho that does not neccessarily mean they will make the twins female. If anything, I think it smacks of misdirection leading up to a twist!

Remember, aspects about the game shouldn't be entirely relied upon nor totally ignored. While they didn't have that first scene in the anime, does that mean they have a trick up their sleeve? While they haven't explicitly stated they are one gender or the other in the anime, I still would like to point out once again that 1) They have left all major aspects of the two twins from the game in the anime, so there is a good chance their gender is also the same in the anime, as well, and 2) Although they haven't had a scene like the one in the game where Hakauro finds out they are male, they did have that bed scene, which is a comedic scene which is based off of a comedic scene in the game.

While there are those who are viewers of this show who have not played the game, there are also viewers of this series that have played it or are familiar with it. The animation company, likewise, must have gone through the game and/or read up on details of the game to know the source material in order to make the anime a good adaption of the game. Certainly, they are going to add in elements, scenarios, and scenes from the game into the anime to be more appealing to fans of the game. Keeping in mind that there are certainly a good number of viewers who are fans of the game and/or are familiar with it, and also keeping mind that every major aspect of these two characters is the same in the anime as they are in the source material (relating to the arguement proposed in point number 1 in the above paragraph), perhaps the animation company didn't feel the need to explicitly state they are male and didn't feel the need to include that other scene, as well.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 15:33   Link #333
Selic
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
They're probably saving the revelation of their gender for the next brief bout of non-combat/war/etc.
Selic is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 15:38   Link #334
aznkether
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
The game, they are males

The anime, they are females

Simple...? Or is it complicated...?
aznkether is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 16:17   Link #335
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
If anything, I think it smacks of misdirection leading up to a trap!
Fixed

I'm no man's man, but no matter which they are, they're definitely cute.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 22:05   Link #336
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
^ Haha. Tho I'm not sure what Trap means yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they left it ambiguous. It stimulates discussion, and keeps the anime on people's minds. Also, some people are squeamish about homosexuality. Some may have found themselves attracted to the twins, assuming they were female. A confirmation that they are male will probably make some fans very uncomfortable. Keep their sex ambiguous, and you don't run as much of a risk of alienating them.
Logical, quite logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Remember, aspects about the game shouldn't be entirely relied upon nor totally ignored. While they didn't have that first scene in the anime, does that mean they have a trick up their sleeve? While they haven't explicitly stated they are one gender or the other in the anime, I still would like to point out once again that 1) They have left all major aspects of the two twins from the game in the anime, so there is a good chance their gender is also the same in the anime, as well, and 2) Although they haven't had a scene like the one in the game where Hakauro finds out they are male, they did have that bed scene, which is a comedic scene which is based off of a comedic scene in the game.

While there are those who are viewers of this show who have not played the game, there are also viewers of this series that have played it or are familiar with it. The animation company, likewise, must have gone through the game and/or read up on details of the game to know the source material in order to make the anime a good adaption of the game. Certainly, they are going to add in elements, scenarios, and scenes from the game into the anime to be more appealing to fans of the game. Keeping in mind that there are certainly a good number of viewers who are fans of the game and/or are familiar with it, and also keeping mind that every major aspect of these two characters is the same in the anime as they are in the source material (relating to the arguement proposed in point number 1 in the above paragraph), perhaps the animation company didn't feel the need to explicitly state they are male and didn't feel the need to include that other scene, as well.
First line in bold: That is where I'm not totally ignoring the game. I dont think that constitutes relying on the game too heavily.

I suppose you are taking the direction/viewpoint of one who has played the game; and even then, that Misdirection bit of mine still applies; it will not exactly be misdirection in the truest sense, because the game player will know they are male, yet, leaving the revelation scene for last (in case anyone's confused, I'm saying that the revelation scene will show them to be Male); lets just say it'll be a gratifying scene for those who have played the game. Also as Maids! said, it stimulates discussion.

Second bolded lines; now thats exactly where I'm coming from, from the viewpoint of a non-player. In effect: "This Shadow Warrior Chronicles anime is so cool!! I have no idea that they may be male! All signs I've seen point to them as a female; ESPECIALLY the bed scene!!" Now, don't you think it will have a greater impact IF they revealed they were male after those scenes? (Versus revealing they're Male before the bed scene?) Again, like Maids! said, it might put some off.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-08-08 at 22:16.
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 22:10   Link #337
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkether
The game, they are males

The anime, they are females

Simple...? Or is it complicated...?
Lol, the last 17 pages and 336 posts will tell you.
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 22:30   Link #338
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 32
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
^ Haha. Tho I'm not sure what Trap means yet.
It is a meme, where the victim is lured into oogling an apparently hot chick, only to find out to his horror that said chick is in fact, a guy.

The actual meme is, "It's a trap!", a line said by Admiral Ackbar from Stars War.
__________________
Skane is offline  
Old 2006-08-08, 23:14   Link #339
phelan_kell
loves Mai :D
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
It is a meme, where the victim is lured into oogling an apparently hot chick, only to find out to his horror that said chick is in fact, a guy.

The actual meme is, "It's a trap!", a line said by Admiral Ackbar from Stars War.
That's "Star Wars" xP

And if they pull that trap, that would blow the minds of quite a few people...including me, who'd rather think the twins are female because they're just too cute and lovable to be male.
phelan_kell is offline  
Old 2006-08-09, 01:41   Link #340
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 31
I think there are those who believe them to be male, and then there are those who believe them to be female (but don't realize they fell for "the trap!").


Anywho, I think if they left it ambiguous by not clearly stating their gender as one or the other, that would be ideal. Then it is open to interpretation and people can have their own views on the matter.

If they did decide to have them as females in the anime rendition and clearly stated that, I'd be a bit confused as to why they did that, given some circumstances. Again, a big one being how they kept all other major aspects of the characters the same for the anime from the game. People say "they look so feminine". And so they also did in the game and game artwork. People say "they sometimes act pretty feminine". And this also fits in with how the characters could be in the game. As one example, they portrayed Guraa well in the anime from how he was in the game. He would be a bit more bashful and will blush quite often in the game. In the anime, there are instances where he gets knocked down or hurt, and Dorii, who seems to be more of the protective one, assists him. Also, there is one scene where Guraa sheds a tear. So even smaller elements of their character is transitioned well and appropriately in the anime. And again, their character designs remain true and faithful to those found in the game and game artwork. So, if they did really change one aspect of them, their gender, it would be rather baffling with all those things considered. It would be like "Why would they change that; just for the sake of it?". Again, if anyone wanted to argue that perhaps they did change their gender for the anime to give a bit more mass market appeal, wouldn't they want to make it obvious; make this stand loud and clear, and from the get-go; rather than have it be 19 episodes into the series and there has been no clear indication that they made such a change?

Another thingr to note is that they display characteristics that are typical of young, effeminate male characters in anime. If you've watched a lot of anime, you'd see that they are quite like other characters fitting this kind of despription, such as Toboe from Wolf's Rain or Wolfram from Kyo Kara Maoh. Their voices are also quite like that of a typical young male anime character.

And another thing to note: People had mentioned earlier how a woman does the voice acting for the characters. It isn't uncommon for women to do voice acting for young male anime characters (for Japanese voice acting). Some good examples: Naruto from Naruto, Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist, and Wolfram from Kyo Kara Maoh.

VA for Edward from FMA: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=7021

VA for Alphonse from FMA: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ple.php?id=808

VA for Naruto: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=2130

VA for Wolfram from Kyo Kara: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ple.php?id=411
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2006-08-09 at 01:57.
Urzu 7 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.