AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-06-13, 02:55   Link #101
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I guess they probably didn't feel it was that important, as they still have a lot of real plot to plow through ^_^; Still, it would've been a nice addition, along with the "Are you done with Young Master now? Can we have him now? *expectant eyes*" scene.
zalas is offline  
Old 2006-06-13, 07:15   Link #102
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I guess they probably didn't feel it was that important, as they still have a lot of real plot to plow through ^_^; Still, it would've been a nice addition, along with the "Are you done with Young Master now? Can we have him now? *expectant eyes*" scene.
I would so LOL at that. Haha. Maybe one of the staff reads this forum and is deciding to be cruel.
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-06-16, 07:22   Link #103
Sundae
Nightmare 'rings
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between Midgard and Nifleheim
I'd say both are male

well, I don't think anyone post this before, here goes :
you all know that Hakuoro is against women/children fighting in the frontline
yet, he ask both of them to deliver the messages to the other side of the gate THROUGH the woods (I forget which episode it is)
even Benawi was surprised by that. Going through the woods is very dangerous, especially at night even though we know that both of them are excellent scout.
So, why do you think Hakuoro ask them to do the job ? ^^;

I agree that in animation/manga you can't use physical figure to distinguish between male/female. They are 'drawn' after all, not 'photographed'
Sundae is offline  
Old 2006-06-16, 08:06   Link #104
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
If that's the case, Hakuoro would never let Karura and the other girls fight to his side. And as far i remember, in the game he allways thought the twins were girls.

No, Hakuoro is not sexist. He will let womens fight only if they are perfectly able to defend themselves.
PGilis is offline  
Old 2006-06-17, 11:29   Link #105
Sundae
Nightmare 'rings
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between Midgard and Nifleheim
well, let's leave the anime as the anime, the game as the game
things can change if transferred to another medium, so, metrosexual guy can be a girl and vice versa
but, of course it will not work in the real world ^^;
Sundae is offline  
Old 2006-06-17, 15:45   Link #106
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
My 2 cents to last few posts:

About other female characters fighting: First of all, Hakauro doesn't let the ordinary person who is female fight (like villagers). Karura is no ordinary person, she is super human, I mean...

Spoiler:


Any female character that fights along side Hakauro is an amazing and skilled fighter, so they are exceptions.

Another thing, why would they change the gender of the twins? They let the game player know in the game that they are male. Then, with the anime, they very accurately portrayed the appearance and looks of the twins with the look of them for in game art and artwork pertaining to the game. If they switched their gender, wouldn't they give any indication that they are clearly female, whether in looks or a revelation through dialogue? But they haven't, and they are portrayed just as they are in the game and artwork for the game.

They probably didn't have the scene where Hakauro finds out they are male in the anime because it isn't too important of a scene, and remember what is the prime audience for this show: Japanese citizens, especially those who played the game or are at least familiar with it. Taking all those things into consideration those things I just discussed, most Japanese viewers probably think they are male like in the game, and the studio of Utawa probably thought most viewers would figure they are male in the anime, as well, and so didn't put that scene where Hakauro discovers they're male in the anime because it is not a very important scene to add.

Also, about the part where the twins play with the jewelry, I think it is like an inside joke for those who played the game. It plays around with how it is indicated that the twins are gay in the game, as well as how feminine they are and how Hakauro mistook them for girls.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-06-17, 18:03   Link #107
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Another thing, why would they change the gender of the twins? They let the game player know in the game that they are male. Then, with the anime, they very accurately portrayed the appearance and looks of the twins with the look of them for in game art and artwork pertaining to the game. If they switched their gender, wouldn't they give any indication that they are clearly female, whether in looks or a revelation through dialogue? But they haven't, and they are portrayed just as they are in the game and artwork for the game.

They probably didn't have the scene where Hakauro finds out they are male in the anime because it isn't too important of a scene, and remember what is the prime audience for this show: Japanese citizens, especially those who played the game or are at least familiar with it. Taking all those things into consideration those things I just discussed, most Japanese viewers probably think they are male like in the game, and the studio of Utawa probably thought most viewers would figure they are male in the anime, as well, and so didn't put that scene where Hakauro discovers they're male in the anime because it is not a very important scene to add.

Also, about the part where the twins play with the jewelry, I think it is like an inside joke for those who played the game. It plays around with how it is indicated that the twins are gay in the game, as well as how feminine they are and how Hakauro mistook them for girls.
Twins, gay? Couldn't say for sure. Oboro, yes. But the twins?, possible, as to then, why have young female aids when he could better settle for young male aids?



Unless they're trying to make Oboro bi, as to when he was blushing when earlier presented with that tentacle monster extract, and yelled at the merchant for embarrassing the ladies. ... ... Unless, maybe! that the girls were a scapegoat to Oboro's uncontrolled blushing. That perhaps Oboro really was thinking of doing this and that with Hakuoro? Oh shit! Which also means, that the earlier comments on the twins taking the drunk Oboro to his room, that the reason for Oboro's body feeling funny the day/time after was actually due to the "energy elixir" within Oboro's drink.

Not that this means that the twins are either male or female. But poor Oboro. Poor guy was probably trying to get it with Hakuoro, and ended up getting the drinks mixed up. Twins probably knew what was going on all along, and switched it. But all does mean that the twins do like Oboro more than Hakuoro.
Green² is offline  
Old 2006-06-18, 04:36   Link #108
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
For the record, Green has an unnatural knack for finding the most incriminating screenshots. Interesting proposition, btw. Oboro for Hakuoro eh. Poor guy, the twins will never let him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu7
Taking all those things into consideration those things I just discussed, most Japanese viewers probably think they are male like in the game, and the studio of Utawa probably thought most viewers would figure they are male in the anime, as well, and so didn't put that scene where Hakauro discovers they're male in the anime because it is not a very important scene to add.
Thats a good point; they didnt foresee such a discussion coming up on Animesuki's forums. Anyhow, I agree with the points you posted, they do make sense. In the end, because of viewer demographics, there will always have to be a link back to the source: the game.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-06-18 at 05:10.
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-06-24, 13:00   Link #109
Darklightz
Wagering his life...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Lol,an interesting debate.Just a reminder,as the OP said this is for discussing their gender in the Anime only,the game doesn't count.

Wether they are male or female the people of Tusukuru seem to think they are female.

In episode 6 when the travelling merchant displays his wares he tells that he has toys for children while we see Aruru playing with a toy and then that he has beautiful jewelry for women while we see Dorii and Gura try said jewelry on.

Also I think some people are getting too used to the high pitch type of voice most anime girls have.Dorii and Gura sound female enough to me.Also as was pointed out earlier,they surely bound their chest for better maneuverability.

I think in the anime they're girls.

Last edited by Darklightz; 2006-06-25 at 08:57.
Darklightz is offline  
Old 2006-06-24, 23:56   Link #110
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
You can say there is ambiguouity over the issue, so every viewer has their opinion on it. I stand by my view that they are male in the anime just as they are in the game. Again, one major thing I ground my reasoning in is that they were accurately transitioned in their portrayel from the game and game artwork to the anime, and they are indeed male in the game. Also, not only are they portrayed very accurately from how they appear in the game, there is nothing significant that indicates that they are female in the anime instead of male.

If the anime producers had intended them to be female in the anime, don't you think they would let the audience know in a concrete way that they are female in the anime rather than male? Again, don't forget that the main audience is Japanese citizens, many of whom are familiar with the game or have played it. Since they are portrayed very accurately in the anime from how they appear in the game, and there is no clear indication that they are the opposite sex in the anime (nor would it really make much sense for them to alter it), this leads me to believe that they figured they didn't have to tell their primary audience what gender they are; those familiar with the game should figure it's the same as it is in the game, and the producers figured most people in the primary audience would view it that way without them having to add a scene establishing this just like the one in the game.

Also, about the scene with the merchant and the beautiful lady comment, the anime studio for this series was probably humoring the primary audience, again with many of them familiar with the game, and relating how that comment was placed with the amusing scene in the game where Hakauro mistakes the twins for females.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 07:54   Link #111
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Episode 11 reinforces my opinion that they are males.. whereabouts of timeframe 07:44 - 08:20, the commands they were giving to notch and fire arrows. Sounded particularly male to me. But again, as Urzu points out, ambiguity is ever present..
Lost is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 17:44   Link #112
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Episode 11 reinforces my opinion that they are males.. whereabouts of timeframe 07:44 - 08:20, the commands they were giving to notch and fire arrows. Sounded particularly male to me. But again, as Urzu points out, ambiguity is ever present..
Yeah, there is ambiguity, but I personally do think there are more things that indicate that are male, definately. And when they did issue commands in ep. 11, they certainly did sound male, but I think they sound like males, anyway. They are feminine and have feminine qualities, but you find male anime characters in that age range displaying such qualities often in anime; for example, like Toboe from Wolf's Rain, not only in his appearance, but his voice (Sub and Dub), as well.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 18:09   Link #113
LilleNisse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Currently AFK
I to be honest think they are both male, but I want em to be female
This is why I both hate and love anime, you never know if its a girl or a guy somthimes, atleast thats me.

But the jewlry thing... Well if I wasnt used to seeing such which I guese they arent? Id probobly reakt the same way they did, get amazed and wanting to try it on.

As for the commands they say in episode 11... I think they sound abit manly. Not as a man but like a kid who yet have become one.

So my guese is they are both male, worst part is I pushed wrong and voted for that they are both female. So Im guesing they are both male
__________________
LilleNisse is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 20:47   Link #114
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Age: 27
The studio's Reasoning might be as simple as political correctness (Personaly I have no issues with gay people, except the flamboyent ones).
Homosexuals are still and probably will always be considered as an ugly way of living (Lesbians arent looked down on, actually we plead for more).

So perhaps the Studio didn't want to change the story out've respect of the game maker. So they keep it ambigus as possible, and this ambigity leads us to think they are female, which is what they want.

In the game its known they are male, however to say that all the viewers that are watching Utawarerumono right now played the game as well is wishful thinking.

Though this isnt an open and shut case Maybe at the end of the series we'll see the truth.
__________________
Join the ULF!

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 21:28   Link #115
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Yeah, there is ambiguity, but I personally do think there are more things that indicate that are male, definately. And when they did issue commands in ep. 11, they certainly did sound male, but I think they sound like males, anyway. They are feminine and have feminine qualities, but you find male anime characters in that age range displaying such qualities often in anime; for example, like Toboe from Wolf's Rain, not only in his appearance, but his voice (Sub and Dub), as well.
This poor, poor va. Watanabe Akeno

Like if the twin are supposed to be male, then she'd be like "Yes! I'm doing a pretty good job here. (But probably crying inside as to,) I sound like a male!.."

But if many are wrong, that the twins are indeed female,.. that's like, double kill.
Green² is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 21:40   Link #116
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
its easy to figure out...the one in blue is male and the one in red (close enough to pink) is female...now all that leaves is to know the name of the red one and the blue one...anyone care to tell me?
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 21:44   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
After all the talk thats gone on, i'm still gonna stick with my original idea and say they're Male.. thats just how they come across to be in the anime.

Now in the game.. thats a different story all together. ^^;
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 22:59   Link #118
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
This poor, poor va. Watanabe Akeno

Like if the twin are supposed to be male, then she'd be like "Yes! I'm doing a pretty good job here. (But probably crying inside as to,) I sound like a male!.."

But if many are wrong, that the twins are indeed female,.. that's like, double kill.
Nah, it's not too rare that a VA is female but does voice work for a young male character (or characters in this case). The Japanese VA for the twins could manipulate her voice to sound like a teenage boy, but her voice is fitting for a female normally. Toboe from WR was voiced by a woman in the dub, and Edward and Alphonse Elric from FMA are both voiced by Japanese woman (link below). And again, I didn't say the twins sound manly, just that they sound like males who are on the feminine side and in their mid teens.

Profiles for Japanese VAs for Edward and Alphonse found here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2960
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 23:16   Link #119
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz

In the game its known they are male, however to say that all the viewers that are watching Utawarerumono right now played the game as well is wishful thinking.

I don't know if I said all the viewers played the game, but if I said that or worded it in a way suggested that, my mistake. My point is, who do you think is the biggest audience for the game; the people who played it the most or heard some things about the game, at the least. Japanese citizens, methinks. Not too many westerners know about the game, for sure. In fact, many people who have gotten into the anime have learned it is based on a game after first getting into the anime. Anyway, again, the primary audience is Japanese citizens, and I'm sure many people living in Japan who are following the anime have played the game or are familiar with it to some extent. Not all of those keeping up on the series, but I'm sure it's a sizable amount of those who are in the primary audience.

These are my opinions, of course, but it's kinda interesting that this thread and topic gained so much steam. I'm curious about the thread starter's post; why did he say we should disregard the source of the anime, the game, on this matter?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2006-06-25 at 23:48.
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2006-06-25, 23:40   Link #120
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Nah, it's not too rare that a VA is female but does voice work for a young male character (or characters in this case). The Japanese VA for the twins could manipulate her voice to sound like a teenage boy, but her voice is fitting for a female normally. Toboe from WR was voiced by a woman in the dub, and Edward and Alphonse Elric from FMA are both voiced by Japanese woman (link below). And again, I didn't say the twins sound manly, just that they sound like males who are on the feminine side and in their mid teens.

Profiles for Japanese VAs for Edward and Alphonse found here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=2960
If voice is even being manipulated. Else, as one would call it, multi kill.
Green² is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.