AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-05-27, 04:42   Link #1
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Ports forwarded = Random net drops.

Alright, I've had it with this. I've got 2MB broadband with a 30kbps max upload rate, I've got Windows XP, and I'm on a router (BT Voyager 205) with two computers connected to it, and only have Windows' own firewall. I've set up a static IP address on this one (but not the other), and forwarded 5 ports for BitTornado to use, which it does. The light goes green for about 5 minutes, then the speed plummets to zero, recovers again a few minutes after that, repeat. If BitTornado's the only internet-using window open it's fine, but the fact the torrent keeps dying makes it really annoying and slow. This only happens when the ports are forwarded, and while it does drop when they aren't it's more a case of dropping once every few days.

So, the question is, does anyone know how to fix it? Is it simply a case of setting up the other computer with a static IP? Because I'd rather not do that unless I know it's going to fix it because of the amount of grief forwarding this one's caused, plus the fact that the other PC isn't mine =P

Thanks in advance, sorry if this has been asked before.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 06:11   Link #2
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Are you using unlimited upload?
How many torrents do you run at a time?
Old 2006-05-27, 06:44   Link #3
Varion
殲滅天使

Nope, normally put it in DSL/Cable Slow settings and anywhere between 16 - 20kb/s usually until the torrent's done, then it goes to unlimited. I only run one torrent at a time mostly, very occasionally 2. Never any more than that.
Old 2006-05-27, 10:11   Link #4
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
In the advanced settings, what is the per-torrent connection limit set to?
Old 2006-05-27, 10:31   Link #5
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKnight
In the advanced settings, what is the per-torrent connection limit set to?
Was set to No Limit, I just tried it on 50 and 30 and it does the same thing.

Oh, and it seems to drop everything else at the same time it dies (MSN, IE and such) but they all recover after the few minutes. If I just run IE with the ports forwarded it seems fine providing there isn't too many open at once. Tried to upload a file on megaupload and that died after 22mb though. Not sure if that's relevant.
Old 2006-05-28, 07:54   Link #6
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Wow... That router of yours sucks.
Well you can try turning off DHT to lower the amount of connections. *If your client has it that is.*

Or keep lowering the number of connections allowed till it stops droping.

Other than that you need to get a better router like WT54GL, or Dlinks Gaming router. *I own the Dlink Wireless gaming router, so far I havent had a drop*

You see the net drops are probably caused by the fact the router is getting overloaded by the number of connections you are asking for. If its crapper the processor the worst you will be.

Though if you have a old computer you are no longer using maybe you can set up Smoothwall.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-05-28 at 10:02.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 08:28   Link #7
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

BitTornado doesn't have DHT support yet.
Old 2006-06-17, 08:53   Link #8
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

are you using a cable modem? i had this problem after the cable company reset the ISP it worked normal.