AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-14, 15:22   Link #2101
Jays
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
You are not understanding what I said. Sony isn't forcing anybody. Plus... multi-plats that no one will buy? Well, that's exactly why these developers have to add something in the first place. It's something that Kaz Hirai said. I read it on Kotaku, but I found it on Three Speech.
"Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV)."

That's what you said. It's fine if you retracted that, but don't get me wrong, what you said in this post is what I've been saying all of this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
No... The JP version was the same:

And even the LE got Snake's face in the box, hehe. But it's true. With a box art so beautiful, it's a shame they've put that 3d render... With Snake Eater, at least they've redeemed themselves with the box of Subsistence, with MGS4, for now, we're stuck with this one...
I thought this was the official MGS4 box art for Japan, I was soo disappointed when I saw this and then saw what the NA one was...

Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 18:18   Link #2102
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsylvania , United States
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
"Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV)."

That's what you said. It's fine if you retracted that, but don't get me wrong, what you said in this post is what I've been saying all of this time.



I thought this was the official MGS4 box art for Japan, I was soo disappointed when I saw this and then saw what the NA one was...
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted...

North American version:
Spoiler for bigimage:
__________________

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-14 at 20:22.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 19:11   Link #2103
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted... It's probably limited edition I guess because there's no UPC on mine.
There is no LE releases for MG4 in the States. Image posted above is a lighter tone for the European Release. Japanese LE is as follows :-



Asian LE release has the same deal, except that the Blu Ray disc is in a standard BD casing instead of the steelbook casing.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 20:15   Link #2104
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
"Sony on the other hand, likes to make developers add something extra to their late ports (e.g., Eternal Sonata, Red Alert 3, Bioshock and now ToV)."

That's what you said. It's fine if you retracted that, but don't get me wrong, what you said in this post is what I've been saying all of this time.
Then you misunderstood, and I may have worded that incorrectly. I meant that in a way that Sony approaches those devs, telling them to add something extra in their games.

And if they can't, there really is nothing Sony can do is there?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 20:21   Link #2105
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsylvania , United States
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There is no LE releases for MG4 in the States. Image posted above is a lighter tone for the European Release. Japanese LE is as follows :-
[/URL]

Asian LE release has the same deal, except that the Blu Ray disc is in a standard BD casing instead of the steelbook casing.
I was mistaken then, but the copy I have is alot different compared to the North American cover because I bought it bundled with the 80GB Playstation 3.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 00:13   Link #2106
Jays
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
That's odd. The one I got with my PS3 is different from the one you posted...
That was the "supposed" JAP box art, I had no idea that both the JAP and NA ones were the same; all this time I thought the JAP and PAL ones were the ones who were similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There is no LE releases for MG4 in the States. Image posted above is a lighter tone for the European Release. Japanese LE is as follows :-
Asian LE release has the same deal, except that the Blu Ray disc is in a standard BD casing instead of the steelbook casing.
Actually there is a NA MGS4 LE, I should know because I own it:



Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Then you misunderstood, and I may have worded that incorrectly. I meant that in a way that Sony approaches those devs, telling them to add something extra in their games.

And if they can't, there really is nothing Sony can do is there?
See I don't believe that Sony would ever approach a developer asking for more content. This is a business why should a developer do something for a console manufacturer that makes them basically go out of their way without any real ultimatum? I agree with you on the fact that it makes sense for developers to do it, but I don't believe Sony has any say in it.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 00:22   Link #2107
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
See I don't believe that Sony would ever approach a developer asking for more content. This is a business why should a developer do something for a console manufacturer that makes them basically go out of their way without any real ultimatum? I agree with you on the fact that it makes sense for developers to do it, but I don't believe Sony has any say in it.
?

They don't have an absolute say in it, but why wouldn't Sony approach developers?

It's a business, hence why they have to compete and look out for their interests. Not to mention, the man practically said that's how they deal with developers in the interview. Whether both parties agree under a contract or if it's a move solely by the developers themselves, it makes sound business sense.

I find it odd why this is even an issue in the first place. Sony, MS and Nintendo try to maintain their relationships with developers in their own ways—in ways that are also beneficial to themselves.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 07:18   Link #2108
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 27
if you look at it, multiplat developers never offer different content, because number 1 it alienates their fans, by creating two skus, you create more confusing about the product, this is different when it comes to Microsoft's money hat bullshit, because then the time exclusivity is being subsidized by Microsoft, so to say its for a developers best interest to produce additional content is just stupid. They will continue to sell units of software if they didn't so the marginal cost really doesn't justify the precieved benefit. Unless sony money hats the extra content, then a developer is going to sell the same amount of units if they didn't add content. This is a trend with multiplat developers and beyond the really stupid money hats involved, its better business for developers just to producs one sku across platforms with out dilutings their clout with what many seem to think are silly money grabs.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 07:48   Link #2109
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Is it? Microsoft gets a timed exclusive, in the case of Vesperia that means that many gamers already have a copy of the game. What then do you do to make your port attractive? What do you do to persuade the gamers who already own a 360 copy of the game, or have played it at a friends', to buy a 360 version?

Additional or unique content is something that has been going on in Japan for quite some time, and is starting to be done over here as well. To say that 'multiplat developers never offer different content' is quite frankly false.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 08:46   Link #2110
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Actually there is a NA MGS4 LE, I should know because I own it:

Wow, i'm jealous now. Since i got my MGS4 in the bundle, it's just the normal version...
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 11:29   Link #2111
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Is it? Microsoft gets a timed exclusive, in the case of Vesperia that means that many gamers already have a copy of the game. What then do you do to make your port attractive? What do you do to persuade the gamers who already own a 360 copy of the game, or have played it at a friends', to buy a 360 version?

Additional or unique content is something that has been going on in Japan for quite some time, and is starting to be done over here as well. To say that 'multiplat developers never offer different content' is quite frankly false.
activision, capcom, i can go on listing multiplat developers that never offer any new content, money hats aside... multiplats have no reason to do this, because it splinter their fanbase which the console makers don't really care about. I'll just say this, other than console exclusives, multiplats that end up taking this practice will end up suffering. Why? because money hats and additional content is just a barrier to entry for the consumer and creates confusion about the base product, also the tales "added" content is actually on the 360 disc, which is even more infuriating to 360 owners who own the game, if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content... it just seems that fans of the series and not the consoles are the ones that suffer, which in the end will hurt the developer not the console maker.

Additional content didn't happen till ps2/xbox gen and even then there was no significant additions, when it was cartrdige versus disc, and even when it was a cartridge only environment there was no "added" content, this only has arrised from money hats that both sony and microsoft use to get "timed" exclusives. I'm just saying that in the end the developers suffer the repricussions of time exclusives and additional content drama and basically the console maker comes out unscathed.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 11:38   Link #2112
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content...
Note: One year + exact same amount.
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 13:53   Link #2113
KDG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
PS3 has a great advantage in japan caompared with 360.
Toro-Station
so many funny news are on air
And,US ver PS3 needs this kind of free contents.

Not only about games


Alicia



Edie



Sneaking mission to Kojima pro with Old Snake



Dante and Nero




And more and more characters from so many PS3 games


My room is full of toys and posters
KDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:23   Link #2114
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
activision, capcom, i can go on listing multiplat developers that never offer any new content, money hats aside... multiplats have no reason to do this, because it splinter their fanbase which the console makers don't really care about. I'll just say this, other than console exclusives, multiplats that end up taking this practice will end up suffering. Why? because money hats and additional content is just a barrier to entry for the consumer and creates confusion about the base product, also the tales "added" content is actually on the 360 disc, which is even more infuriating to 360 owners who own the game, if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content... it just seems that fans of the series and not the consoles are the ones that suffer, which in the end will hurt the developer not the console maker.

Additional content didn't happen till ps2/xbox gen and even then there was no significant additions, when it was cartrdige versus disc, and even when it was a cartridge only environment there was no "added" content, this only has arrised from money hats that both sony and microsoft use to get "timed" exclusives. I'm just saying that in the end the developers suffer the repricussions of time exclusives and additional content drama and basically the console maker comes out unscathed.
Yes, not every developer adds extra content on ports, but that is a far cry from your claim that no multiplatform developer does so. Which is false.

And it is a clever strategy. Here's an example: As a European, I have yet to play Vesperia, as it has not yet launched here. If given the choice between Vesperia for the 360 and the PS3, what would strike the balance for me?

Another way of looking at it is from the eyes of PS3 owners who do not have a 360. They had to wait a full year because Microsoft decided to be, to put it in your words, a 'money hat.' Giving some extra content to the PS3 owners for having to wait a year is like a plaster to a wound.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:36   Link #2115
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 27
no its unfair to the early adpoters of the software. Again this is a negative to the consumer not the developer, and in the end the negative "money grab" badly influences the developer.

pst.. duo, did I not say money hat is rediculous. Really time exclusives are just like what the anime industry does to regions outside of japan, and users shouldn't stand for it.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:52   Link #2116
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
And the fact that the PS3 players had to wait a whole year before being allowed to play the game isn't unfair? That's quite a double standard you have there.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:41   Link #2117
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 27
WOW its like you have zero reading comprehension...
I said... money hats, and additional content are stupid things that console makers do, to fraction the developers fan base which in turn lead to developer lash back from the consumer. If you don't know what a money hat is, well its a large sum of money to get a "timed" exclusive which really in my mind is just stupid but w/e.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:52   Link #2118
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
WOW its like you have zero reading comprehension...
The use of the money hat term was confusing. Thanks for explaining.

Anyway, so you agree that it's unfair for PS3 players to have to wait for a full year before being able to play Vesperia, then what is your problem with giving those players a bit of extra content? It's not as if that content won't be available for the 360 as DLC anyway.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-04-15 at 17:43.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 17:33   Link #2119
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 25
PS3 Sales Gap to 360
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 17:56   Link #2120
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 288′0″N 8137′54″W
Nosauz @ This has been around since the the beginning of the video game industry - you need to get over it. Majority of games get these "exclusive content" when moved to another console all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Anyway, so you agree that it's unfair for PS3 players to have to wait for a full year before being able to play Vesperia, then what is your problem with giving those players a bit of extra content? It's not as if that content won't be available for the 360 as DLC anyway.
Just ignore it - just talking about what he thinks is right & wrong, I'm not sure sure if Vesperia's PS3 EC(exclusive content) will be coming to the 360 at all, take Eternal Sonata for example.
__________________
This is my signature! Do you Rike it?
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
console, ps3, sony

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.