AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-23, 10:57   Link #2261
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
I wouldn't call MGS an action game, its a bit more complicated than that. But really if you break down MGS4 the story line isn't overboard at all, all those random slide shows are really debriefings of everything you've been playing in the previous games and aren't really related to MGS4, sure they provide context but thats it, you don't have to listen to them.
Even if it isn't a traditiononal action game it's still an action game.

I'm a bit confused with what you are trying with the 2nd part of your comment. Sure you don't have to watch to them, but MGS4 did go overboard with the story. Cut scene's way to long, a very high wtf level(ending credits is all I'm saying). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the experience(nostalgia, closure, etc.), but not everything needed to be explained with cutscene's spanning 30/40 minutes. It just got in the way of the gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Metal Gear Solid is a tactical espionage game. The pacing of the game itself is a lot slower and less intense than pure-action titles like God of War and Devil May Cry. I wouldn't classify them into the same genre.

Many gamers might disagree, but video games are actually a very good medium for story telling. It offers something that no other form of entertainment can provide. True immersion, and that is a great element in the world of story telling.
The stealth genre is a sub genre of the action genre. So I can call it an action game. I really don't see the problem. I was just talking about how action games in general don't have good stories.

Yeah it's a good medium, but it shouldn't distract from the gameplay. That's the thing you say many gamers might disagree, a lot of gamers seem to agree with you. A lot of game developers think they are story writers worth a damn, but that just isn't case.

I do like a good story in my games, but I'd like to think when discussing games especially with pure action games the main point is about gameplay. If where talking about RPG's I can understand putting the storyline above gameplay, but when talking about GoW, DMC, NG then the main point should be gameplay.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 12:20   Link #2262
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post

Yeah it's a good medium, but it shouldn't distract from the gameplay. That's the thing you say many gamers might disagree, a lot of gamers seem to agree with you. A lot of game developers think they are story writers worth a damn, but that just isn't case.

I do like a good story in my games, but I'd like to think when discussing games especially with pure action games the main point is about gameplay. If where talking about RPG's I can understand putting the storyline above gameplay, but when talking about GoW, DMC, NG then the main point should be gameplay.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to deny that MGS is an action game . Your statement is definitely correct. I was just pointing out that video games have evolved to the point where it's not longer just "action" game or "puzzle" game, but much more complex. It's hard to bring MGS into this comparison. It's like comparing Transformers to The Dark Knight.

For example Kingdom Hearts is arguable an action game, and it's story is really good. Shadow of the Colossus is a puzzle action game, and the way the story is told is utterly fantastic.

Anyway I'm getting off my point. I guess all my posts are just trying to justify how I'm more lenient to God of War's gameplay because it makes up with story. I guess in other words, God of War tries to differentiate itself from DMC and NG because it knows it probably cant' beat them in terms of gameplay .

Heck I don't even know why I'm arguing with you. I only decided to reply because the chick in your sig was hot. In fact, I'm more excited about Uncharted 2 than God of War 3.
Old 2009-06-24, 11:18   Link #2263
kayos
RETIRED

God of War 3 seems like a bit of repetitive gameplay like the first two, then again which game isn't.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 11:43   Link #2264
Sides

Quote:
O shit someone who remembers PN03. I remember how hard I tried to like it, but the game was just horrible, possible the worst beat em up/shooter? I played. I really really liked the character though, she had class.
PN03 was or is still one of the best 3D shooter. It is all about the challenge and high score ^^. But i have to agree, you either love or hate that game.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 12:48   Link #2265
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
PN03 was or is still one of the best 3D shooter. It is all about the challenge and high score ^^. But i have to agree, you either love or hate that game.
Is that the game that's controlled by voice commands?

Anyway, anyone here plays Demon's Soul? I'm thinking about getting it, but I'd like to know how often do people play this game... as well as how awesome is the co-op even without voice chat.
Old 2009-06-26, 16:46   Link #2266
joangracoffande

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
God of War 3 seems like a bit of repetitive gameplay like the first two, then again which game isn't.
It will be what most "next gen" games are. The ps2 version, with shinier graphics.
joangracoffande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 23:56   Link #2267
plmko

Quote:

I'm a bit confused with what you are trying with the 2nd part of your comment. Sure you don't have to watch to them, but MGS4 did go overboard with the story. Cut scene's way to long, a very high wtf level(ending credits is all I'm saying). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the experience(nostalgia, closure, etc.), but not everything needed to be explained with cutscene's spanning 30/40 minutes. It just got in the way of the gameplay.
Probably didn't explain myself properly. Think about it in terms of Star Wars (new trilogy) it really is about Anakin falling into the Dark side and becoming Sith, or you can look at it in the bigger picture and say Star Wars is really about an intergalactic war with a side fighting against democracy blah blah blah.

Likewise you can see this in MGS4, sure there is the patriots and that they have an elaborate system controlling the world, but really the story is about Snake being used as a tool to get the work done, hence the theme of "rest" at the end. Think about, would the Story have really changed if you didn't watch the slideshow explaining the origins of the patriots or where Snake was born etc?

So I think you may have just mixed up the priorities between the context of the story and what truly is the focus, even if it maybe easy to get sucked into law MGS its important to not get carried away.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:53   Link #2268
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Is that the game that's controlled by voice commands?

Anyway, anyone here plays Demon's Soul? I'm thinking about getting it, but I'd like to know how often do people play this game... as well as how awesome is the co-op even without voice chat.
This site(or page) will give you some insights, about the online modes http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online . The Co-op and PvP in Demon's souls isn't like most games, you have to meet some criteria before you can invite people to your join you.
BTW you can use the XMB chat since firmware 2.70, it is only text but some people prefer it to the emotes in the game. Who knows maybe the ps3 will get voice chat in games support later on with a new firmware, maybe even before NA release.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 10:42   Link #2269
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
This site(or page) will give you some insights, about the online modes http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online . The Co-op and PvP in Demon's souls isn't like most games, you have to meet some criteria before you can invite people to your join you.
BTW you can use the XMB chat since firmware 2.70, it is only text but some people prefer it to the emotes in the game. Who knows maybe the ps3 will get voice chat in games support later on with a new firmware, maybe even before NA release.
Thanks, it seems pretty complicated but intriguing, definitely not a game aimed towards the mass market. At least that means the developers are making this not for the money but for the heart.

Yeah, I've been using the text chat as well, that's a great addition but it's still infinitely inferior to voice chat mainly because by the time I finish typing something a monster would've bitten my ass off.
Old 2009-06-27, 21:16   Link #2270
brokenhrt
~wandering around~ =_=

PS3 has now a bluetooth!

How much is the price of PS3 now?
brokenhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 13:44   Link #2271
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

It did for a while and its about $399
Old 2009-06-28, 20:51   Link #2272
gunshottrigun
Crazy Shrine Maiden

Send a message via AIM to gunshottrigun Send a message via MSN to gunshottrigun Send a message via Yahoo to gunshottrigun Send a message via Skype™ to gunshottrigun
PS3 is now $399 for the 80GB 2USB slot model.
$499 for 160GB 2USB slot model with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
However, a price drop is expected/rumored by the end of the year.
Old 2009-06-29, 11:07   Link #2273
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhrt View Post
PS3 has now a bluetooth!
i thought that ps3 always have bluetooth

I wonder if the rumor of the ps3 price cut is true
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 12:08   Link #2274
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Pretty sure it always did have bluetooth. I have a bluetooth headset working with my fully BC 60 gig model (aka one of the first gen PS3s), which I sometimes use with Warhawk/SF2turbo/SF4.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 12:24   Link #2275
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Yea it always had Bluetooth.

I'm using a bluetooth headset too.

PS3 supports voice chat, just not cross game voice chat.
Old 2009-07-02, 23:15   Link #2276
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Hatsune Miku's Live in PSHome

Kinda nice idea .
Old 2009-07-16, 13:01   Link #2277
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Anyone here got Battlefield 1943?

I tried the trial, managed to get 2 games in and was good fun.

but I want to know what people think before I depart with 10 quid.
Old 2009-07-16, 13:01   Link #2278
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

^lol

hmm... ps3 refuse to do a price cut, kinda worry 4 them though
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 13:11   Link #2279
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

@ Bonta Don't have that
I Can't wait for demon souls
Old 2009-07-16, 13:57   Link #2280
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Anyone here got Battlefield 1943?

I tried the trial, managed to get 2 games in and was good fun.

but I want to know what people think before I depart with 10 quid.
I played the demo and it was nice, but i don't like that kind of war games enough to buy it. Either way, if you liked the trial, i think you certainly enjoy the game. There's a lot of people online, so, if you like the multiplayer, you certainly will like this one.

Today the patch for Disgaea 3 was released. I downloaded it and my saves still works! I don't know why, but hey, i won't complain, hehe.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony