AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2007-07-12, 20:48   Link #1081
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
will PS2 Gameshark work on PS3?! If not, then is there a ps3 gameshark?
No PS2 Gameshark doesn't work for the PS3. As of now there is no way of cheating for the PS3... except downloading other people's saved files. Noted that some games are saved with system recognition so transferring someone else saved file won't work.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 20:54   Link #1082
mishka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
No PS2 Gameshark doesn't work for the PS3. As of now there is no way of cheating for the PS3... except downloading other people's saved files. Noted that some games are saved with system recognition so transferring someone else saved file won't work.
Will they ever come out with a cheat device for ps3 then?! How long did it take for the ps2 gameshark to come out after ps2's release?

I still don't have a ps3....but I'm not gonna buy one until I can cheat! I kindda like having infinite ammo.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 05:39   Link #1083
GhOsTeDgE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Will they ever come out with a cheat device for ps3 then?! How long did it take for the ps2 gameshark to come out after ps2's release?

I still don't have a ps3....but I'm not gonna buy one until I can cheat! I kindda like having infinite ammo.
They might have a problem doing a gameshark or whatever for the PS3 since a lot of the games are going online now. It all comes down to ethics, they can't very well make a cheating device that works for online games since you're playing against real people; one option would be filter their catalog so they only make cheats for single player games, but that would make their list of games so small that people might find such a device insubstantial.
GhOsTeDgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 11:33   Link #1084
Slayerx

Not sure if it's been said but....
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14685

PS3 $499 60 gb isn't a price drop, it's a god damn Sale while supplies last!
Apparently, Sony dropped the price of the PS3 because they are planning to kill th 60GB model and keep ONLY the 80GB model... after the current stock of 60GB is sold, PS3 will once again be a $600 only console...

*sigh*... and just when Sony was doing something right....
stupid, stupid move sony....
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 12:08   Link #1085
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

He's from Europe, I don't believe a word until someone from SCEA says so.

Here ya go; http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=6427&Itemid=2 & http://www.gamespot.com/news/6174962.html & http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/...clarification/

Last edited by Aka; 2007-07-13 at 14:42.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 16:06   Link #1086
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
He's from Europe, I don't believe a word until someone from SCEA says so.
http://www.deeko.com/news/?p=2894
First Reeves lets the cat out of the back, and a PR guy back him up... SCEA then denies such things (as usual), but as it turns out at E3, Kaz Hirai said...

“Well again just from a hardware perspective, the 499 dollar price adjustment that we did for the 60 gig version for the American market–were no longer in production for that product. So when that product is gone from the retailers shelves, then were back to the 599 SKU. So it’s not like we have a 2 price strategy here in the US market. We learned very quickly customers respond better to having one SKU than two.”

So... yeah...
Old 2007-07-13, 16:36   Link #1087
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well that sounds like not any kind of improvement at all. Sure the 80 Gb model has 20 Gb more space, but it'll probably cost Sony next-to-nothing extra to go for the bigger disk. Adding in Motorstorm cost practically nothing production wise also (I got Motorstorm for free with my PS3 too, and that was weeks ago). Of course the 80 Gb model does lacks the Emotion Engine (PS2 hardware), so... end result: a win for Sony and the customer still loses.

I'd say, if you wanted a PS3... get the 60 Gb model before it's gone. You pay $100 less for more (if you care about PS2 backwards compatibility) and if you care about a big disk, just put your own in.

Then again, if you don't care about PS3 right now, the other option could be to wait for the real price cut (permanent for a model that IS still in production) and for more better games to be available, but that'll probably be at least a full year from now.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 17:08   Link #1088
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Well that sounds like not any kind of improvement at all. Sure the 80 Gb model has 20 Gb more space, but it'll probably cost Sony next-to-nothing extra to go for the bigger disk. Adding in Motorstorm cost practically nothing production wise also (I got Motorstorm for free with my PS3 too, and that was weeks ago). Of course the 80 Gb model does lacks the Emotion Engine (PS2 hardware), so... end result: a win for Sony and the customer still loses.
It is probably a supply problem, 60GB 2.5" sata's HDD soon phasing out.
If they insist that 60GB have to be suppled and specially
manufactured for the PS3, that be financially a disadvantage for sony,
so go with the market is a good choice.
Reckon we will see similar moves by sony in the future as well.
No big deal, besides you can upgrade your seagate HDD anytime you want.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 20:39   Link #1089
Lebron
I hear voices

Killzone 2 looked awesome. Some really awesome stuff from them, was really near to the E3 '05 trailer. Hopefully the story and controls are there to go along with the already awesome presentation. Maybe they will give a beta demo or something in the future before release.

Everything else was pretty much what I already expected. A lot of no-shows that I was looking forward to(FFXIII, WKS, Team ICO, Monster Hunter 3), but I guess they're saving it for TGS.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 21:00   Link #1090
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

That so was the funniest thing of E3

After a decent preformance at E3 and MS admiting to problems...They have then announce this
Old 2007-07-13, 22:29   Link #1091
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
That so was the funniest thing of E3

After a decent preformance at E3 and MS admiting to problems...They have then announce this
I'm not sure whether people are trying to be politically correct, or whether they're all rabid fanboys of other platforms. Because Sony most definitely had a DAMN GOOD showing at E3.

The pricing affair is unfortunate.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 01:22   Link #1092
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I'd say, if you wanted a PS3... get the 60 Gb model before it's gone. You pay $100 less for more (if you care about PS2 backwards compatibility) and if you care about a big disk, just put your own in.

Then again, if you don't care about PS3 right now, the other option could be to wait for the real price cut (permanent for a model that IS still in production) and for more better games to be available, but that'll probably be at least a full year from now.
It really does piss me off... not just that it got my hopes up with the news of price cut, but now i feel like i'm in a bit of an akward position... i could forsee myself getting a PS3 someday, but definatly not now, what with it's terrible lack of games; and i can also forsee me never getting one... but ofcourse, now there's this good deal on it and i don't know if i should jump on it, or say screw it and wait... right now, i'm definatly leaning way more towards screw it...

Frankly, i'm wondering how much Sony's Marketing actually looked at the PS3 when it came to this... From Kaz's statement, they definatly noticed that the 20GB model sold poorly compared to the 60GB model, but i'm wondering if they actully looked it WHY it didn't... if they would look it why, they might see the differnce between then and now...

Then... the 20Gb model had a few main differences... one was lack of Wifi... wifi can be very conveinent and i'm sure their plenty of poeple who would like to have it if they wanted to use the online features... Second was the flash card reader... the 60gb had it and the 20gb did not... another reason to lean towards the 60gb... the third and biggest differences was the HD... 20Gb is pathetic, small and barely worth mentioning... 60Gb thoguh still kinda small if half-way decent... the thing is, poeple like having large hard drive's. Now while many Consumers are smart enough to know they can replace the HD with an even bigger one, i'm sure their are plenty out their who don't realize it and just think, what you see is what you get and there's no changing it... They know that 20 Gb will probably not be worthwhile in the long run, so they get the 60Gb, never considering the possibility of replacing the HD...

The difference now... the 60 GB, unlike the 20Gb, has ALL of the same features(wifi and flash card) as the 80GB model.... furtharmore, the difference in HD sizes is a mere 20gb as opposed to 40gb (if the new model was like 120gb, then he might be on to something)... while 20Gb was pathetic, 60Gb is halfway decent, the 80 Gb is still only halfway decent like the 60gb... in short, poeple very much reconized the big difference between the 20gb and the 60gb, however they wouldn't really take that much note with the difference between the 60gb and the 80gb...

in short... because there is only a small difference in HD and that the two versions have the same features otherwise, i very much think that the 60Gb model would have very well survived and sold well unlike the 20gb... in fact, it might even be the 80Gb that would need to be phased out...

note, i didn't mention the Emotion engine since i think that even if the 60GB model wasn't getting phased out, i think the Emotion engine would still get axed out and the newer 60gb's would be getting the same backward's performance as the 80gb

Quote:
indeed... Bad news for MS + good news for Sony = great win for Sony...
But now... Sony kinda broke even... you'd think they might still gain some from MS's bad news, but i think the whole price cut fiasco ends up as bad news for sony... i guess overall sony gains a bit... a bit...
Old 2007-07-14, 01:34   Link #1093
Oppius
Banned

I heard PS3 is the heaviest console ever produced.Is that true?
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 03:08   Link #1094
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
I heard PS3 is the heaviest console ever produced.Is that true?
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...Specifications

Puts PS3 at 5KG, so that's almost definitely the heaviest console ever.
Old 2007-07-14, 03:17   Link #1095
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
It really does piss me off... not just that it got my hopes up with the news of price cut, but now i feel like i'm in a bit of an akward position... i could forsee myself getting a PS3 someday, but definatly not now, what with it's terrible lack of games; and i can also forsee me never getting one... but ofcourse, now there's this good deal on it and i don't know if i should jump on it, or say screw it and wait... right now, i'm definatly leaning way more towards screw it...
If you live in the US and want to play the PS3 in the next two months, you *have* to get the $499 version asap. It will be phased out along with the EE chip, and upgrading the HDD manually is always a good option in the future. If you can wait until the year end, I am willing to bet that there'll be an official price cut by this year end in time for the holiday season.

Quote:
Frankly, i'm wondering how much Sony's Marketing actually looked at the PS3 when it came to this... From Kaz's statement, they definatly noticed that the 20GB model sold poorly compared to the 60GB model, but i'm wondering if they actully looked it WHY it didn't... if they would look it why, they might see the differnce between then and now...
Actually, I think the 20GB version sold fairly well.. I think too well. Sony lost MORE money per unit on the 20GB version than the 60GB version. Also, don't forget that 20GB HDDs are actually *harder* and *more expensive per GB* to find. This is because the mass market was producing 60GB HDDs.. and now, 80GB HDDs (and hence why they are phasing out the 60GB model).

Regardless, Sony's fiasco is only really compounded by the rep they've earned in the past 2 years. Objectively their moves are okay to me. So long as they introduce a serious price-cut by the year-end, they'll be alright. And don't believe whatever shit some stupid intraweb people have been spouting about the price cut "not really" being a price cut. That is the stupidest argument put out by Xbox fanboys I have ever seen. End of the day - you the consumer pay $100 less for a system you want. If it's not an effective price cut, I don't know what is.
Old 2007-07-14, 08:23   Link #1096
Knightmare213

Even if Kaz Hirai is saying the truth, that the EE-equipped 60GB version is indeed being phased out after a price cut, it certainly is not a real loss for those who would not play PS2 games with their PS3. In other words, even if I do buy an 80GB version next year, with or without a price cut, it would not be a loss for those (including me) would say "Bye-bye, last gen...and hello Nariko and Lightning!" right after purchasing an 80GB PS3.

In contradiction to arias, I'm believing that 20GB didn't sold that to well in North America, and hence was wise to discontinue the sales there and didn't launch the Basic models in Europe and elsewhere on '07 March. As s/he said, Sony was losing more money on the Basic model, so it would've be safe to say "Gun, meet foot," if the Basic model was launched in Europe, regardless that it sold well or not.

And Slayerx, while it would've been very convinient for all models to have Wi-Fi capabilities, some of the consumers may not have chosen to use the Premium version's Wi-Fi capabilities and just use the ethernet port. Some may be willing to buy a ten-foot-long ethernet line just to connect their PS3, which may be sitting nicely in front of an HDTV, to a router. After all, to my knowledge, a normal router, plus the price of an extra long line, is not expensive as a top quality Wi-Fi router.

For me, the reasons why 20GBs failed in NA region is because:

1. The HDD space was smaller than the other. After all, bigger space means good.
2. Even if the Basic models did support USB ports, would the 100GB external HDD be compatible?
3. No Wi-Fi. As I said, some people would be willing to use wires instead of Wi-Fi. Remember, I said some, not most.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 09:22   Link #1097
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
intraweb people have been spouting about the price cut "not really" being a price cut.
Agreed, not a month or two ago the 60gb was selling for $599 but now it's $499 w/ added bonus. It's a $100 off the retail price and w/ the added bonus of probably over $100 worth of 5 to 6 BR discs and then another plus $50 for an extra controller or BR remote.

You're pretty much saving over $250... probably. That's a hell of a deal.

NA still hasn't received their shipment of 60gb without the EE chip yet. Not that it really matters much.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 11:59   Link #1098
Lebron
I hear voices

quick question, did anyone hear participate in the Warhawk beta? Just wanting to know how the game played and all, control and online stability wise.

Oh yeah, and Super Stardust HD is the stuff. Played it at a friends house the other day for a good 3+ hours.

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-07-14 at 13:05.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 15:18   Link #1099
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
In contradiction to arias, I'm believing that 20GB didn't sold that to well in North America, and hence was wise to discontinue the sales there and didn't launch the Basic models in Europe and elsewhere on '07 March. As s/he said, Sony was losing more money on the Basic model, so it would've be safe to say "Gun, meet foot," if the Basic model was launched in Europe, regardless that it sold well or not.
Actually I don't quite get what you're saying. By the way, "in contradiction to xxx" is not proper english. I don't really know whether the 20GB version sold better than the 60GB version; that is fact. I don't have the numbers.

Quote:
For me, the reasons why 20GBs failed in NA region is because:

1. The HDD space was smaller than the other. After all, bigger space means good.
2. Even if the Basic models did support USB ports, would the 100GB external HDD be compatible?
3. No Wi-Fi. As I said, some people would be willing to use wires instead of Wi-Fi. Remember, I said some, not most.
Any decent gamer online roaming for gaming news knows that the HDD is manually fixable. Iti s compatible with HDDs of any size. Plenty of gamers on neogaf have actually bought the 20GB version and fixed in a 160GB HDD of their own. For people who don't know of this, I'm not even sure whether they care about HDD space at all. Well, who knows..
Old 2007-07-14, 18:29   Link #1100
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So I wanna get a 60gb PS3 with the EE chip. How do I know if it has it?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony