AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-13, 13:18   Link #301
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Quote:
I feel like I've explained this quite a few times already, but each Book is named after the element Aang learns and masters in that season. (Water, Earth, Fire) He already knows airbending, of course, hence no Air Book.
I never asked anyone to explain this to anyone, and as I stated I realized by myself that there wasn't going to be a book air. I just had the idea of 4 elements = 4 seasons so deeply rooted in my mind after season 3 ended I was like huh. Then I finally had one of those palm face 'oh!' moments. I was just sharing my personal experience, so you didn't have to explain it to me, but thanks anyway for your trouble.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:22   Link #302
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
I just had the idea of 4 elements = 4 seasons so deeply rooted in my mind after season 3 ended I was like huh.
obviously you were thinking like 99% of us: what about ursa? she still dead or alive?

ya... i think that's the only part that didn't wrap up yet.

hopefully they'll do something like an OVA someday
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 13:27   Link #303
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Maybe that was it, but yeah I just realized I was a bit snarky in my previous comment, sorry I didn't mean to be I just was trying to explain that I knew why there were only 3 seasons, and I wasn't like "ZOMG WHeres' 4th season gonna come out??211" or something like that.
But it would be nice to at least have an OVA, but I liked the ending still.
Old 2009-06-23, 01:17   Link #304
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Finally the teaser trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/

Can it succeed in transferring to the different medium of live action movie...

What do you think?

All current Sig & Avy images coloured by me / Waking Dreams Studios
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 02:53   Link #305
james0246

^The trailer looks pretty good. Obviously not much content (considering the movie is not coming out for another year), but there was a basic understanding of not only the setting, but the character (Noah Ringer seems to fit into the character quite nicely), and the technology (the ships looked great). I still have trepidation concerning some of the casting choices (the whole race issue never bothered me that much; I just disliked the actual casting of some of the characters, feeling that other known actors and actresses could have played the role better).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 06:38   Link #306
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I know I might sound like a giant dick, but I don't any faith in M Night Shylaman...like zero. The last movie he made that I actually enjoyed was 6th sense, and by gods that was literally last century.

I'm not too pleased that he chose to advertise this movie as M NIGHT SHYLAMAN'S THE LAST AIRBENDER, as well....that kinda pisses me off. He didn't come up with an idea, it's an adaptation damit.

Slumdog for Zuko is a weird choice too, although he's talented, I was expecting Zuko to look more oriental.
Old 2009-06-23, 08:32   Link #307
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

M Night's rep is definitely shaky at the moment but I am a little irked at the M NIGHT SHYLAMAN'S THE LAST AIRBENDER too...I dont mind the narrator going Directed by M Night somewhere in the trailer, But wtf - why is he included in the title...?

All current Sig & Avy images coloured by me / Waking Dreams Studios
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 09:02   Link #308
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Finally the teaser trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/

Can it succeed in transferring to the different medium of live action movie...

What do you think?

i think it's a pretty cool trailer, but since i don't have much experience with Shylaman's work(since i don't watch too many movies), so i can't really say i don't have faith in his work.

though i often hear live action version tend to suck compare to the original ones.

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 09:11   Link #309
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The trailer was actually pretty encouraging, I thought - the look was better than I expected and Noah Ringer does actually look like Aang. But I share the concern over Shyamalan as director - the arc of his career has been consistently downhill since Sixth Sense. Maybe adapting someone else's material can save him, because he does have skills. As for the title thing, I'm hoping that adding his name was the studio's suggestion, to somehow make up for the fact that they couldn't use "Avatar" due to the Cameron lawsuit. Otherwise it's one helluva ego trip for a guy whose last four films have all tanked.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 04:39   Link #310
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, the trailer was actually fairly impressive. It kept mostly to the spirit of the cartoon and M Night, visually at least, is a pretty skilled director. It's just that he does a terrible job of telling a story and he just lost his touch at making mysteries after Sixth Sense, Signs and The Village. He just settled on that weird niche until the trainwreck that was the Happening.

At least with Avatar, there's an established story and fans to please. I'm holding out moderately cautious hope for the movie. I don't wish ill on M Night either. If his career rebounds, then good for him, and good for the audiences.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 10:52   Link #311
KimmyChan

This series is so much fun & very cool!

I've only ever seen a couple of episodes so far but have really liked what I've seen
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 11:00   Link #312
Haak
Forever Alone...

I really liked the Avatar. It started off a little kiddish but improved steadily and just got better and better. It was bit odd though that there were still some modern American teenage culture in what is supposed to be a fantasy world based on ancient China. I can't complain about these falws though since it's demographic was for kids, primarily.

I really hated the ending though. Total Deus Ex Machina, though I guess that was because it's target demographic too.

As for the film...well...I'm expecting it to be very poor. The trailer does look cool but it's less than 2 minutes worth of footage. As someone very much into the martial arts genre I hope that even if the script it awful it will atleast have some good fight scenes.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 11:05   Link #313
KimmyChan

The DVDs are readily available to buy nowadays & I may have to treat myself one day soon
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 13:01   Link #314
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Yeah, the trailer was actually fairly impressive. It kept mostly to the spirit of the cartoon and M Night, visually at least, is a pretty skilled director. It's just that he does a terrible job of telling a story and he just lost his touch at making mysteries after Sixth Sense, Signs and The Village. He just settled on that weird niche until the trainwreck that was the Happening.

At least with Avatar, there's an established story and fans to please. I'm holding out moderately cautious hope for the movie. I don't wish ill on M Night either. If his career rebounds, then good for him, and good for the audiences.
Agreed, I don't wish ill on him either...

But seriously The Village destroyed my mind, the plot twist was as destructive as Star Ocean 3, i was about to walk out of the cinema.

The Happening really was a train wreck, what a waste of my life. The movie was seriously about something happening, that's it. It is the happening, such a fitting title. We don't even fucking find out what actually happened.

sigh.
Old 2009-06-24, 19:19   Link #315
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I really liked the Avatar. It started off a little kiddish but improved steadily and just got better and better. It was bit odd though that there were still some modern American teenage culture in what is supposed to be a fantasy world based on ancient China. I can't complain about these falws though since it's demographic was for kids, primarily.
You know the world is not based on just anicent China, right? The airbenders are definetly based on Tibetian monks and the water tribes have tons of Inuit influcences....
I digress, anyway, I haven't seen the trailer yet since I'm waiting to see on the big screen with Transformers (and I'm scared to be honest...)
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 03:47   Link #316
Haak
Forever Alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
You know the world is not based on just anicent China, right? The airbenders are definetly based on Tibetian monks and the water tribes have tons of Inuit influcences....
True but my point still stands.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 06:05   Link #317
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Agreed, I don't wish ill on him either...

But seriously The Village destroyed my mind, the plot twist was as destructive as Star Ocean 3, i was about to walk out of the cinema.

The Happening really was a train wreck, what a waste of my life. The movie was seriously about something happening, that's it. It is the happening, such a fitting title. We don't even fucking find out what actually happened.

sigh.
lol. Star Ocean 3 was the biggest "WTF" moment I had in gaming in a while. Not as much as Aeris's death, but in a very, very unpleasant manner especially since the plot seemed to go somewhere, then that huge brick wall. At least with Aeris, they built the rest of the story and the emotions around it. SO3... it fell off a cliff.

As for the Village, I had the hankering that the twist was coming, so it was no big deal for me. Overall, the story was alright, though it was basically a bit of a deus ex coming (especially in the typical 'revelation' part).

I mean, M Night is skilled, but I think he was riding on the plot-twist-hype-train. I guess he's about had enough and realizes he needs to ground himself. There's even a talk of an Avatar trilogy if the first one does good.

I hope in the end, the movie is great and it gets the exposure it deserves.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 06:34   Link #318
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Avatar does need a trilogy to tell the whole story.

I just hope they do Zuko right, he's my favourite character and his story is such an emotional driving force throughout the series.

Slumdog, you better not fail me here.
Old 2009-06-25, 10:09   Link #319
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, Zuko is critical - his arc actually drives the story much more than Aang's. Anyone complaining about Dev Patel should keep thiat in context - it was Jesse McCartney originally cast as Zuko, after all. Dev may be playing against type but I'll take my friggin' chances with him, thanks.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 06:36   Link #320
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, Zuko is critical - his arc actually drives the story much more than Aang's. Anyone complaining about Dev Patel should keep thiat in context - it was Jesse McCartney originally cast as Zuko, after all. Dev may be playing against type but I'll take my friggin' chances with him, thanks.
Jesse McCarney is definitely an inferior choice.

I like Slumdog, I've just never seen him do anything as angry as Zuko yet. It's also a shame that he doesn't look anything like Zuko . To be honest some Japanese/Korean/Chinese english speaking actor would've been able to pull off the look easily.

Let's hope he can nail Zuko right .