AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-25, 15:57   Link #161
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Episode 7 was really outstanding, in my opinion. Not just Hiro's various quandaries, and the portrayal of office stress. But the way the mood was made, with pacing and music, and the voice-acting so right on. Really, Tanaka Rie is just blowing me away. This series is inching toward my top ten. Maybe the most adult anime I've seen.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 02:02   Link #162
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
After watching #3, the only thing I can say after it is, "70% of all meetings are meaningless..." and that's so true!! I hate meetings
Old 2006-11-28, 15:34   Link #163
nishino
ganbarimasu!!

hahaha lol love hiro's reaction in the very beginning of episode 6 when shinji says
Spoiler:
good god, what an exit!

i'm so jealous of you guys whose japanese is good enough to understand most of what's going on ... this is probably one of my all-time fave anime series ... why must it be so short?? ;_;
nishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 10:13   Link #164
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

I've seen only three episodes yet, but I think this anime is great. I love its realism.

Here are some avatars I made:

Hope the pictures will be showing correctly.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 12:56   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ep 3 had enough barbed hooks to latch me for the rest of the series. They're really on target with "office life". I guess the only question is whether we'll see some evolution in the personal lives of the characters ( and since Kaoru Chujo is peeking ahead and likes it --- there is hope ).

Love that snapshot of her munching a sushi roll with no hands so she can type faster.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 04:50   Link #166
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, man, episode 8 was such a miss in the hit-and-miss aspect of "Hatarakiman". Honestly, it was probably the 'longest' episode in recent memory. You just have to admit that not all of Hiro's coworkers are all that exciting. Some of them are just plain boring.

The animation was somewhat sloppy as well, but that's just something to add to the overall feeling of dissatisfaction with the plot.

Oh, and this "Tsutaya" thing is starting to get on my nerves. It is one thing to include a mention of one of the sponsors here and there, but this fucking Tsutaya is EVERYWHERE! It's annoying me.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 04:23   Link #167
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Hey everyone! I just wanted to apologize for the slow pace that episode four and up is coming out subbed. I have been miserably sick and busy with work--this is the busiest season for me right now, I haven't even been able to watch the latest raw episodes. x.x

I promise I will be getting on it hardcore in the next week or so. Again, I'm sorry! T.T
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 08:22   Link #168
cry
Berry Bunny

i love the ending of this show so much *_*
Old 2006-12-02, 08:29   Link #169
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa View Post
Hey everyone! I just wanted to apologize for the slow pace that episode four and up is coming out subbed. I have been miserably sick and busy with work--this is the busiest season for me right now, I haven't even been able to watch the latest raw episodes. x.x

I promise I will be getting on it hardcore in the next week or so. Again, I'm sorry! T.T
Seeing as though you're taking time to do the subs, i don't see any reason as why you should be sorry. I like forward to your next release. ^__^
Old 2006-12-04, 06:14   Link #170
Siegel Clyne

Hataraki Man is a TV Hit in Japan

The last three episodes of the Hataraki Man anime have drawn at least a four percent television audience rating in the Kantou region (includes Tokyo), Japan - episode 6, 4.7%; episode 7, 4.0%; episode 8, 4.2% - raising its overall television audience rating to 3.90%.

Of all the late night animation series which debuted in Japan during the fall of 2006, Hataraki Man remains No. 1 in overall television audience ratings. (DEATH NOTE is No. 2.)

Hataraki Man appears to be on its way to becoming the highest rated series so far in Fuji TV's NOITAMINA late night animation block by a sizeable margin.

Because of its popular success as an animated television series, a number of Japanese fans think the prospect for a live action television drama series of Hataraki Man has gone up significantly.

The main stumbling block: casting the main character in Hataraki Man, Matsukata Hiroko.

Apparently, Japanese fans are having difficulty on coming up with someone who can play a live version of Matsukata Hiroko - almost as much they did with coming up with someone who could play an animated version of Matsukata Hiroko.

Even the severest Japanese critics at the anonymous 2ch message boards - notorious for their negativism and personal attacks on anyone and everyone - could offer up only a few feeble alternatives to Tanaka Rie as the voice actor (seiyuu) for Matsukata Hiroko.

The popular success of the Hataraki Man anime among general audiences in Japan have muzzled, if not for the most part silenced, those 2ch critics. People who ordinarily do not watch anime - working men and women in their 20s and 30s - tune in late at night to Hataraki Man.

Once again, Tanaka Rie has demonstrated her knack for playing very popular characters, in anime and games, who appeal to broad, mainstream audiences and casual fans, and/or to otaku and hardcore fans: Matsukata Hiroko in Hataraki Man; Kujou Hikari (Shiny Luminous) in Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart; Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED DESTINY; Chii in Chobits; Suigintou in Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend; Futami Eriko in Kimi Kiss (Kimikiss); etc.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-12-04 at 06:55.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 08:07   Link #171
wao
OK.

I think it's frankly awesome how there's even a block like Noitanima that can attract the normal person and not just anime otakus. At the very least those programs are less obliged to do the usual fanservice and would assumedly have to concentrate more on the actual story and characters and the concept of the show itself because that's what their audience is looking for.

But I'm still perplexed as to how it draws such high ratings - how do people even find out about the show? Does it get advertised majorly or does it get spread so much through word of mouth?
Death Note has got not only a pretty large manga fanbase but the publicity through the live action shows and it also has better production values than Hataraki Man, and I'm sure it also gets a fair amoutn of publicity...

Surely it can't possibly be that so many people feel tired after work, flip through the channels late at night, get their attention caught by an anime - watch for a while and then get hooked? That'd be so awesome.
Old 2006-12-04, 08:13   Link #172
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's funny. It beat Death Note, the anime that people claim will be the one dominating the fall season. Death Note, yes, is really good, but I guess people can relate more to a suffering workaholic experiencing quotidian problems than a genius anti-hero. I hope I can see more of Hataraki Man because I really like it and I hope it won't end up like many other series I've seen ... like Hiatari Ryoukou, for example.

Oh, and nothing beats Chatmonchy. Shangri~la is GOD. Take that, Haruhi Suzumiya.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 10:13   Link #173
nishino
ganbarimasu!!

Just a guess, but Hataraki Man probably attracts a lot of non-anime people, because it's so real -- it deals with workplace issues that any working stiff (the majority of the population) can identify with, and does it very well with good humor and compelling character studies. People may hate me for saying this, but I find that I tend to apply a double standard to the shows I watch. There's always a different standard for anime: I'm pretty sure that most of the anime I enjoy, my non-anime friends would think was silly, not-so-great, or just plain bad. The difference is that because it's anime, I tend to excuse or ignore obvious flaws, and just enjoy it because I like anime for its own sake. Hataraki Man is one of the very rare ones that can cross this boundary and be judged by the same standards as non-anime media and still come out looking good.

Quote:
Oh, and nothing beats Chatmonchy. Shangri~la is GOD. Take that, Haruhi Suzumiya.
I cannot get this song out of my head! But that's ok, because it's so awesome.
nishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 10:13   Link #174
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
But I'm still perplexed as to how it draws such high ratings - how do people even find out about the show?
I think it's more of a counterculture thing, with people drawn to late night shows because the primetime is dominated by shounen and the slightly older audience of Noitamina has longer hours and thus cannot catch the earlier programs.

Plus, Noitamina has already established itself as THE jousei program to watch. This is just a typical snowball effect.
Old 2006-12-04, 10:46   Link #175
Srin Tuar
無謀

Wow, im glad this show is popular in Japan.

I think its about time that "Noitamina" gots its own subforum or something
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 13:49   Link #176
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I can't think of any two roles more different than Chii and Hiro. Good job, Tanaka Rie.

As for how people find out about this show, perhaps Honey & Clover and NANA have made people more aware of late-night anime. Their ratings were/are of the same order, I believe. Though this show is on at 24:45, whereas they were/are on around midnight. My instinct is that the audience for Hataraki Man is not a normal anime audience. People on 2channel may not be criticizing it that much, but there are only three threads there, whereas Code Geass has 131, Death Note 42, and even Lovely Idol has 12.

I found nishino's point about applying different standards to anime interesting. But although I may apply different standards to anime, I don't think they are lower standards. People who aren't used to anime might not enjoy shows as much as I think they should, but that may be because they are not able to get past the thought "cartoons are for kids" and aren't used to anime conventions. I'm watching one dorama this season, and it's good (14 Sai no Haha), but I really have to accept the melodramatic conventions of that form, and some occasionally unconvincing acting. For me, anime acting can seem more natural, perhaps because the actor only has one variable to control (voice).

Ratings for 14 Sai no Haha last week were 18.4 (4th for doramas), compared to NANA, which had a great week at 5.1 (9th for anime, all the others being supper-hour or Sunday morning shows). Dorama ratings for the top ten ranged from 15 to 20, anime ratings from 5 to 20. By the way, the last two weeks' episodes of NANA have been so gut-wrenching that they might as well be dorama.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-12-04 at 14:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 14:26   Link #177
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
but I really have to accept the melodramatic conventions of that form, and some occasionally unconvincing acting. For me, anime acting can seem more natural, perhaps because the actor only has one variable to control (voice).
I've watched some dorama, and I find them unconvincing as well.

The voices of live actors are worth listening to, because unlike seiyuu, they are untrained speakers so they probably sound alot more like your average japanese person. (who wouldnt make the cut as a voice actors) So you get to train your listening muscles to deal with slurred and mumbled speech. (but with some everyday dialog that is lacking in some anime)
But worse than that, I generally find the level of acting to be... poor. Lots of melodrama, not enough subtlety. Reminds me alot of american soap operas, perhaps minus the terrible background music.

Sortof ironic that anime has more believable drama in some cases than the vast majority of live action stuff. (I cannot say the same for dubs, they are horrid)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 06:46   Link #178
Siegel Clyne

Hataraki Man Scores Its Highest TV Audience Rating So Far With Episode 9 - 5.1%

Hataraki Man is a TV Hit in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne
The last three episodes of the Hataraki Man anime have drawn at least a four percent television audience rating in the Kantou region (includes Tokyo), Japan - episode 6, 4.7%; episode 7, 4.0%; episode 8, 4.2% - raising its overall television audience rating to 3.90%.

Of all the late night animation series which debuted in Japan during the fall of 2006, Hataraki Man remains No. 1 in overall television audience ratings. (DEATH NOTE is No. 2.)

Hataraki Man appears to be on its way to becoming the highest rated series so far in Fuji TV's NOITAMINA late night animation block by a sizeable margin.

Because of its popular success as an animated television series, a number of Japanese fans think the prospect for a live action television drama series of Hataraki Man has gone up significantly.

The main stumbling block: casting the main character in Hataraki Man, Matsukata Hiroko.

Apparently, Japanese fans are having difficulty on coming up with someone who can play a live version of Matsukata Hiroko - almost as much they did with coming up with someone who could play an animated version of Matsukata Hiroko.

Even the severest Japanese critics at the anonymous 2ch message boards - notorious for their negativism and personal attacks on anyone and everyone - could offer up only a few feeble alternatives to Tanaka Rie as the voice actor (seiyuu) for Matsukata Hiroko.

The popular success of the Hataraki Man anime among general audiences in Japan have muzzled, if not for the most part silenced, those 2ch critics. People who ordinarily do not watch anime - working men and women in their 20s and 30s - tune in late at night to Hataraki Man.

Once again, Tanaka Rie has demonstrated her knack for playing very popular characters, in anime and games, who appeal to broad, mainstream audiences and casual fans, and/or to otaku and hardcore fans: Matsukata Hiroko in Hataraki Man; Kujou Hikari (Shiny Luminous) in Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart; Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED DESTINY; Chii in Chobits; Suigintou in Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend; Futami Eriko in Kimi Kiss (Kimikiss); etc.

Television Audience Rating - Kantou Region (Includes Tokyo), Thursday, December 7, 2006 [Friday, December 8, 2006]

5.1% CX [Fuji TV] 24.45 [12:45 AM] NOITAMINA "Hataraki Man" (Episode 9 - Ichininmae no Hatarakiman)
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 16:50   Link #179
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

And the rating was deserved, since #9 was a rather good episode. Hiro's work attitude could energize a corpse!

She is such a poor dear, but she always managed to pull through and gain optimism through her work.

The only thing that still amazes me is that she and Shinji still delude themselves that they are still a couple. Those 2 are incredibly separated, both physically and emotionally and I simply don't understand how they keep on going living together. I guess, both of them are so much involved in their work that they just didn't have a free moment to evaluate their failing relationship and just move on.
Old 2006-12-10, 11:38   Link #180
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Oh, man, episode 8 was such a miss in the hit-and-miss aspect of "Hatarakiman". Honestly, it was probably the 'longest' episode in recent memory. You just have to admit that not all of Hiro's coworkers are all that exciting. Some of them are just plain boring.

The animation was somewhat sloppy as well, but that's just something to add to the overall feeling of dissatisfaction with the plot.
Actually, I like ep 8 a lot. It was quite a moving episode. I really feel for Chiba-san, and teared up when he finlly got the gratitude he deserved. I am glad that he finally got his passion back for his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
And the rating was deserved, since #9 was a rather good episode. Hiro's work attitude could energize a corpse!

She is such a poor dear, but she always managed to pull through and gain optimism through her work.

The only thing that still amazes me is that she and Shinji still delude themselves that they are still a couple. Those 2 are incredibly separated, both physically and emotionally and I simply don't understand how they keep on going living together. I guess, both of them are so much involved in their work that they just didn't have a free moment to evaluate their failing relationship and just move on.
Yes, I am amazed by Hiro. She's a super woman. I wonder how she could hold up with all that work piling on her.

I guess Hiro and Shinji are too busy to even find time to break up.

Check out this story
Current Favorites: Red Garden, Soukou no Strain, Asatte no Houkou, CODE Geass, Death Note, Irohanihoheto
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina, office, seinen