AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 123 54.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 71 31.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.88%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-06-14, 09:00   Link #161
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Ahhhh... Space battles reminded me good ol` times with Freespace 2....

And Haruhi`s stare was just awesome rofl!
Old 2006-06-14, 09:15   Link #162
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
(That's when Nagato calls for her subordinates and other observational interface to back her up. A mesh network is much more useful than an individual terminal. Although I havta admit I need to read this. Seriously.)

Nagato's patrons do have substantial lead against even human from future on their time travelling arts. Nagato's connection if severed would put her at risk. Without severing that connection though the Motoko network/cluster will face an interface that when coupled with the data-entity uplink can effectively reshape the physical realm if she so wishes.
In that case then, it's a good thing Motoko isn't truly limited to the physical realm anymore. Regardless, I strongly agree that you should read up on MMI yourself. If you still believe Yuki could win after reading up on Motoko's new capabilities, I will have no objections.
Old 2006-06-14, 09:20   Link #163
Anime Online

It would be difficult to gauge objectively who would come out top in a contest between Yuki and Ruri/Motoko/other anime character.

The main thing is that we do not know the extent of Yuki's powers. We do know, however, that the Integrated Data Thought Entity (IDTE) had reached the end of their evolution (basically they have learnt all the secrets of the universe) until they came across human beings. Haruhi, in particular, offered the IDTE hope in the next step of their evolution.

This means the technological level of the IDTE has far surpassed any we can possibly imagine. In his novel The Lost Worlds of 2001, Arthur C. Clarke mentioned "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic." Can someone from the 1900s even comprehend the advancement the human race had made in the last 100 years?

And that is only in the space of 100 years! According to Mysterique Sign (Episode 7 at 18:23), Yuki inferred that the IDTE had already existed more than 280 million years ago. Unless humans in Ghost in the Shell anime universe had already discovered the mysteries of the universe, it is safe to say that the IDTE would be on a higher technological level.

On a purely theoretical basis (since both animes would never meet and fight it out), I would say that the Yuki/IDTE would have a major advantage over Motoko/Ghost In The Shell.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 09:35   Link #164
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
It would be difficult to gauge objectively who would come out top in a contest between Yuki and Ruri/Motoko/other anime character.

The main thing is that we do not know the extent of Yuki's powers. We do know, however, that the Integrated Data Thought Entity (IDTE) had reached the end of their evolution (basically they have learnt all the secrets of the universe) until they came across human beings. Haruhi, in particular, offered the IDTE hope in the next step of their evolution.

This means the technological level of the IDTE has far surpassed any we can possibly imagine. In his novel The Lost Worlds of 2001, Arthur C. Clarke mentioned "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic." Can someone from the 1900s even comprehend the advancement the human race had made in the last 100 years?

And that is only in the space of 100 years! According to Mysterique Sign (Episode 7 at 18:23), Yuki inferred that the IDTE had already existed more than 280 million years ago. Unless humans in Ghost in the Shell anime universe had already discovered the mysteries of the universe, it is safe to say that the IDTE would be on a higher technological level.

On a purely theoretical basis (since both animes would never meet and fight it out), I would say that the Yuki/IDTE would have a major advantage over Motoko/Ghost In The Shell.
I never claimed that Motoko could win against the entire Data entity society.
Just Yuki.

Yuki is not invincible. Ryoko would not have attempted to kill her otherwise. Yuki herself is 3 years old, and not as all-knowing as she first appeared. Sure, she's good at everything, but that doesn't make her Omnipotent. All signs point to Yuki possessing a mere fraction of wisdom that her masters possess.
Old 2006-06-14, 09:53   Link #165
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I'm biased when it comes to Yuki episodes. A ten from me.

Kyo-Ani did well to adapt this into a 3D space battle. The transition from operatic music to midi music was just funny.

Yuki once again saves the day. I think I melted seeing her look so passionate on winning this game (passionate for her standards, that is).

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 09:54   Link #166
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(well anybody that would attack Nagato and bring her down is bound to face the data entity sooner or later... and it won't be fun but we can leave that aside for now..)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 10:32   Link #167
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
talking about homeworld, you do know there is a Macross & Gundam mod for it?

http://www.strategyplanet.com/homeworld/macross/

http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/html/hwii7_06.htm

Unfortunately the Gundam Mod kinda died, but you can still get the Macross one.

I got a kick when I saw thost Valkyries transform, and shoot off those missiles, and not to mention seeing the SDF-1 fire off its cannons. LOLOLOL

mkid you, i'm really excited about Supreme Commander! I remember a gundam mod for T.A, ahhh.....I don't really recall any recent game that came close to T.A style ballistic...mm...wait perhaps DoW, That's another possibility too, a Battleship Gothic/DoSIII style...
The Gundam Mod(Homeworld 2) is still alive and well check relic forums, they put in a Single player too. The Battle of Loum(spelling), awesome, plenty of ships and action.
Old 2006-06-14, 11:17   Link #168
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Just a minor point I obtained from another website...

Guess who wrote the script for this episode?

None other than Shoji Gatoh!

The novel author of Full Metal Panic!!!!

What the HELL is he doing here?

Get back to work! Go and type up more FMP, you slacker!
Old 2006-06-14, 11:19   Link #169
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, in preparation of watching the episode tonight and posting in this thread, I browsed through the reply pages only to see the "BOMBER" comment.

Well, I opened the episode just for the preview. Hilarious I'll give it a 10 just for the Basara reference. My full comments in some hours, after I have time to watch the full thing.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 11:29   Link #170
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Jesus, this episode made me laugh harder than any other episode of Haruhi. Maybe that's because it catered to the sci-fi geek in me.

Several points of humor to note. The flying kick at the start, yuki's mouse-waving and Kyon commenting on it, their continuous defeats in training, Yuki showing no reaction in the middle of a space battle, Mikuru with her crewmen doing the same confused gestures simultaenously, the whole Gun*** parody (THIS = WIN), Haruhi's Murrue parody, and the Macross reference at the end. All was made of win and good.

I can't help it...this deserves a ten. ;___; Not only was the episode well-constructed, though missing out some pieces from the novels, the hilarious scenes were very amusing to see, and Yuki's development was welcome.

Also, the musical pieces in this episode were very suiting, able to evoke an epic feel to them...it's almost cathartic. That and, as some people pointed out, the changing of the music from the orchestral pieces to the simple beeping music that the game usually has is a nice touch to differentiate the reality of the game to the fantastical setting of it.
Old 2006-06-14, 11:38   Link #171
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Something I realised

Spoiler:
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 11:46   Link #172
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

After several viewings and thought... I ended up giving the episode an 8 (my lowest yet for the series).

As a standalone episode, it was thoroughly entertaining. Yuki goodness everywhere, a cascade of sci-fi and anime references, some great Haruhi-Kyon interaction tidbits, lovely detail (e.g. Yuki's typing skills), some great animation (Yuki's fingers, a lot of the subtle facial expressions, and the Haruhi kick were more impressive than the CG stuff).

However, as an element in a *really* short 14 episode series, the plot advancement was almost zero: they got computers, Yuki humanized a small bit. In a sense, it was a "filler beach episode"... unlike the actual beach episode which provided considerable plot advancement (or information provided for illumination of the viewer). In this case, it was gamer and anime reference fan service rather than bikini-awe.

So I give it an 8...... "very good". I hope the hell there's a hidden green light for another season because there's definitely a lot of story to tell.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 11:51   Link #173
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida Send a message via Skype™ to johnishida
Good Episode! I can't give 10 to it 'cause I believe that goes for 10 only! I gave it an 8!

All the parts that uncluded Yuki were my favorites!
Old 2006-06-14, 14:54   Link #174
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXeD
Ahhhh... Space battles reminded me good ol` times with Freespace 2....

And Haruhi`s stare was just awesome rofl!
Yeah, I remember FS2.

Anyways, lots of gundam stuff in this episode.

Suzumiya Aznable

and the President was pulling off a Dozle.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 15:17   Link #175
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Ok. Seen it.

It was too good. Everything, from the space battle, Yuki's insane hacking skills, to Kyon's comments about everything and the numerous Mikuru adoration remarks, on top of the Macross 7 preview talk. Immensely enjoyed it.

MikuruxKyon FTW
Yuki rules
Tsk tsk Computer President shouldn't try to cheat a god
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 15:26   Link #176
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Tsk tsk Computer President shouldn't try to cheat a god
Dude... That`s like.... You know.... Pretty deep. I mean it.
Old 2006-06-14, 15:59   Link #177
porchoky

@Vexx you bring up an intersting point. With all the episodes out of order, its really hard to tell what's filler and what's plot advancement. It makes you forget about the plot and just enjoy the mini-stories and characters even more. I wonder if this was what KyoAni was aiming for, in addition to the fact that it fits the series perfectly.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 17:52   Link #178
Kasrkin Squad
For the Emperor

Send a message via AIM to Kasrkin Squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
Before I played Total War, I came out from Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth:Soulblighter in 3d RTS if you don't count TA.

Supreme Commander has my hopes up with how they view units... although we shall see. What I wanna see is Homeworld kind of space battle that can be fought on the scale of DoSIII.
I wanted to mention the Total War series but the last thing I am in the mood for is old school fans of it telling me it is going an arcadey/dumbed down route.

I don't know if you all heard but Relic managed to buy the Homeworld licensee from it's old publisher so I am expecting a new Homeworld game soon. Possiblely after Company of Heroes.

The thought of a Warhammer 40k space combat game with HW like gameplay makes me happy.

PS: I am mainly looking forward to the WH40k Dark Crusade expansion, (necrons and tau) Company of Heroes, Warhammer Mark of Chaos, (fantasy) MTW2, and Supreme Commander. C&C3 looks like a cookie cutter RTS but there are a few other promising titles.

(To keep this on topic) With every new episode of Haruhi I have to keep wondering how much longer until PVC figurines will be out. I would kill someone for a Mikuru, (I swear I would buy every last version they make even if they just moved so much as her hand a mm or two.) a Nagato, (same thing as Mikuru but I wouldn't get ones in the same outfit) Haruhi, and a Ryoko one would be nice as well. Any news on them? I haven't found anything looking around.

To aide in keeping my post on topic. I am waiting for someone to mod a game to be DOS3. (hehe DOS)
Kasrkin Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 17:54   Link #179
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

I think that all Melancholy eps were plot-pushers (since they are like only ones about continuous story [vol 1], rest are about just one event [from other volumes]), and the rest.... Well, I already wrote that xP

BTW: If only Day Of Sagitarrius had REAL Beam Cannons.... I`d be in seventh heaven! Damn, where`s my FS2?! *goes to look for CDs in the cupboard*

Hey what`s this Ravana doing he--?! *gets Beam Cannon`ed*
Old 2006-06-14, 18:57   Link #180
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I suppose you have never read GitS: Man Machine Interface?

Motoko has BECOME a data entity of her own. Hell, she has become an entire new species, with children across the planet.

She has become so advanced, Motoko literally broke the magic barrier. An Esper from the Supernatural Bureau of Japan was sent to spy on Motoko, but the spy was most surprised when Motoko could see her spirit-walking incorporeal form.

MMI spoiler:
Spoiler:
uhhh the data entities have been around for a lot longer than a millenia.....you should pay more attention
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote