AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-06-12, 08:26   Link #21
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Flores
My friends who are Japanese say it's 'atari' (meaning, 'hit' or 'to strike').
The base verb is "ataru" (to hit). Simplifing the grammar:
"atari" is the noun form = "a hit"
"atare" is the command form = "hit!"

As a word just by itself, "atare" would be what you say before, and "atari" would be what you say after the action/event.

Quote:
So I'm about to tell them that they're all wrong.
Japanese people can make mistakes about the Japanese language. Maybe their explanation was unclear or your interpretation was wrong.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 08:30   Link #22
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DarkazurESky]
what does this mean?
Others have already explained what negative reaction time is...

As a bonus, another example of this would be part of the "mantra" ability from One Piece, or one possible use of the Dragon's Eye from Tenjo Tenge (eg chapter 17 - I think the anime messed up the scene somewhat).
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 13:59   Link #23
tetsuo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Okay. Kira is not a Newtype. Newtypes do not exist in the Cosmic Era. This "term" was never officially introduced ANYWHERE into any publication or media source, therefore the "fandoms" wonderful "brain" seems to insist upon the fact that the \/\/\/\/\/ thing you see means "ZOMG NEWTYPE JUST LIKE TEH UC!!!!111". Well guess what... it doesn't.
if i'm not wrong Fukuda himself used the "Term" newtype with Rau and mwu -_- so its just not "fandoms" wonderful "brain" that insist on something that dont exist. but i do agreed the so called newtypes from C,E are far to weak compare to U.C but then again U.C and C.E are two different universes.

Last edited by tetsuo69; 2006-06-12 at 14:09.
tetsuo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 14:24   Link #24
Kasrkin Squad
For the Emperor

Send a message via AIM to Kasrkin Squad
^^^^He did. If I recall he mentioned that Rau and Mu were weak newtypes and the last of their kind in the CE timeline.
Kasrkin Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 14:31   Link #25
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin Squad
^^^^He did. If I recall he mentioned that Rau and Mu were weak newtypes and the last of their kind in the CE timeline.
Yup. He wanted a show without newtypes. So Mu and Rau were supposed to be the only newtypes in the CE.

Unfortunately Destiny came out far too soon and neither Fukuda nor his staff had prepared themselves fully and Kira got his own "ping". (I blame that on lack of creativity - due to stress)

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 14:44   Link #26
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
if i'm not wrong Fukuda himself used the "Term" newtype with Rau and mwu -_- so its just not "fandoms" wonderful "brain" that insist on something that dont exist. but i do agreed the so called newtypes from C,E are far to weak compare to U.C but then again U.C and C.E are two different universes.
Yes, he says Mwu and Raww, not Kira. And you can't compare Newtypes from series to series, becuase honestly... Newtype Dolphin > EVERYTHING!

To quoteh Mark Simmons, American Gundam representative::

Quote:
As far as the existence of Newtypes in the Cosmic Era, I believe the closest this has come to being confirmed is in some throwaway comments by director Fukuda, which you can probably find archived someplace on GunOta. I don't think we need to consider that an official statement, especially since (as I recall) Fukuda's comment was that Mu and Rau were supposed to be the last Newtypes, which obviously wouldn't be true anymore.
Please note that he says I don't think we need to consider that an official statement.

He also says,

Quote:
Whatever you want to call them, though, there's clearly some kind of psychic connection between Rau and Mu and Rey and Kira. We even see a hint that Kira shares this bond towards the end of Gundam Seed, when Rau senses Kira's approach during the fighting inside the Mendel Colony. The question, though, is whether the characters have to be related to share this rapport, or whether they just need to have the same psychic whatchamacallit powers. X Astray would suggest not, since we see Prayer Reverie and Morgan Chevalier make brief telepathic contact, but I guess that depends how seriously one wants to take the Astray storyline.
End of discussion.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 19:00   Link #27
tetsuo69

Quote:
Yes, he says Mwu and Raww, not Kira.
i never mention kira Rofl

Quote:
And you can't compare Newtypes from series to series, becuase honestly... Newtype Dolphin > EVERYTHING!
says who? you?

can U.C newtypes control Funnels with out the Psycommu system? correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote:
the Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts.through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind.
if this is true C.E would need something similar a system that can connect directly to the user's thoughts to see if Mwu,Rau can handle funnels like U.C newtypes.

C.E newtypes can feel/sense each others/ they have the NT flash that helps them know right b4 the enemy attacks them.

what can U.C newtypes do that C.E newtypes cant? i ask cause i havent watch every U.C series.

but plz only examples of Gundam-Zeta as there only Seed and destiny in C.E dont go giving me examples of V as i heard that in V newtypes can even heal people -_-
Old 2006-06-12, 19:13   Link #28
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Newtype examples from Zeta Gundam?:

Speak to the dead.
Send a mind blast to convert someone into a vegetable.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 19:18   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Speaking to the dead is nothing. In CE, Newtypes come back from the dead.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 19:28   Link #30
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

In Four's case, she could technically control Psycho Gundam outside of the cockpit, like what happened in Hong Kong.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 19:35   Link #31
monster

I believe tetsuo69 is asking for Newtype abilities that doesn't require technology. And the best example would probably be in ZZ where Camille practically directed Judau and a few others in that one battle against Psyco Mk. II telepathically (I forgot the details). Of course that could be attributed to Camille's power (as in the potential of newtypes) and the circumstances of that battle.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 22:33   Link #32
Panon

Quote:
End of discussion.
Your entire arguement is a slightly more verbose "NUH UH! NUH UH! THEY DON'T SAY THE WORD SO THEY'RE NOT!"

One thing though - Fukuda from his comments clearly considered certain character Newtypes, however, one aspect he made in regards to them (Mu and Rau are the last remaining ones) was later invalidated.

Do you believe that because of that overridden aspect, Fukuda has changed his mind and does not consider those characters Newtypes anymore? Considering he has expanded the amount of people seen to be capable of of their abilities (abilities like those of Newtypes, accompanied by the classic Newtype ping, total coincidence though right?) and had them following a matching pattern in the growth of those abilities?
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 22:52   Link #33
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
One thing though - Fukuda from his comments clearly considered certain character Newtypes, however, one aspect he made in regards to them (Mu and Rau are the last remaining ones) was later invalidated.

Do you believe that because of that overridden aspect, Fukuda has changed his mind and does not consider those characters Newtypes anymore? Considering he has expanded the amount of people seen to be capable of of their abilities (abilities like those of Newtypes, accompanied by the classic Newtype ping, total coincidence though right?) and had them following a matching pattern in the growth of those abilities?
I doubt it. If you actually look at the facts, there really are no other Newtypes. And if you take what Mark said, it was a "throwaway" comment, which basically doesn't hold water to anything. It was an informal interview, and basically he could have said Kira was actually a drag queen on the side. Would that make it canon? No. If he said "they were the last" then well... they were the last, I suppose. I'll be willing to say that Rey has a partial ability since he is a clone of Raww. But like I said in another thread, that tingling zing doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is a Newtype. If that were so, then everyone and their brother would be saying they are. (Morgan, Courtney, Gai etc).
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 22:59   Link #34
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Kira's not a Newtype...in the UC sense.

In the CE sense where Mwu, Rau and assumably Rey are considered to be NT...yeah, I'd say he is. He "senses" people, and can easily adapt to and fight with the DRAGOON system which seems to be a CE Newtype thing.

Maybe there was more to being the "Ultimate Coordinator" than simply having no genetic defects, who knows. And seeing as Kira's father worked for Al Da Fllaga doing genetic enhancement, it doesn't seem that farfetched to think he did the same to his own child, the one he wanted to be "perfect".

Of course, it's all speculation.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 01:14   Link #35
mikyu

well ... I've never seen a UC serie, but what I heard of Newtype is kind of ridiclous^^

however ... there were flashback during the fight between kira and shinn ... whose flashback was it? I suppose it was kira's but why did he has a flashback of him and shinn when I shouldn't sense shinn?

was it even a flashback or should it just be reminder for the audience? *lol* I think ... yes ;D
mikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 01:54   Link #36
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
In Four's case, she could technically control Psycho Gundam outside of the cockpit, like what happened in Hong Kong.
A similar case being Rosamia Badam controlling the Baund Doc (or vice versa?? dun dun dun!!! Mind-Controlling MS!!! XD)

In UC-era, Newtypes, at least Kamille could, speak to everyone on Earth and in Space? o.o lol
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 02:46   Link #37
stillmissing

Hmm, while it's true that the term "newtype" has never been used in any official CE publication afaik, I wouldn't really hold it against those who choose to use it even if it is technically inaccurate.

To begin with, calling people like Rau, Mwu, Rey, Kira, Prayer, etc "people who possess superhuman spatial awareness and a psychic connection to one another" is terribly verbose. Especially when there's a familiar word that can take the place of that without too many problems.

Moreover, it's not really just an issue with English speaking fandom either. I've seen these characters referred to as newtypes in Japanese forums as well, and that's not really that surprising considering it's also done in some anime magazines. (Bear in mind though that under normal circustances, a magazine article of column wouldn't really classify as an official source) I've seen magazines that have apparently felt the need to refer to Rey as a newtype and iirc, there was even a brief column that basically amounted to "CE's newtypes are pretty weak compared to the originals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
if this is true C.E would need something similar a system that can connect directly to the user's thoughts to see if Mwu,Rau can handle funnels
Interestingly enough, the dragoon system built into the Peregrande uses a system that monitors the brainwaves of its three pilots in order to acquire target coordinates. Also, according to vol 2 of the Destiny MSV mook, ZAFT's second generation dragoon system, the one used in Chaos, Strike Freedom, and Legend, also uses a system in which brainwaves are transmitted to sensors to control the remote weapons. Of course, this system is set up for a single, more capable pilot.
stillmissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 03:18   Link #38
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillmissing
To begin with, calling people like Rau, Mwu, Rey, Kira, Prayer, etc "people who possess superhuman spatial awareness and a psychic connection to one another" is terribly verbose. Especially when there's a familiar word that can take the place of that without too many problems.

Moreover, it's not really just an issue with English speaking fandom either. I've seen these characters referred to as newtypes in Japanese forums as well, and that's not really that surprising considering it's also done in some anime magazines. (Bear in mind though that under normal circustances, a magazine article of column wouldn't really classify as an official source) I've seen magazines that have apparently felt the need to refer to Rey as a newtype and iirc, there was even a brief column that basically amounted to "CE's newtypes are pretty weak compared to the originals".
Thank You for putting that in words...Maybe certain members can understand how completley anal they are being when they refuse to use ther own minds in coming to this conclusion that doesn't even need to be fleshed-out in the great manner you did...Besides Fukuda saying Al Da Flaga was a NEWTYPE one should only use their brains to understand when we call them that in the context of relating Kira, Rau, etc., to one another that it doesn't mean "UC Newtypes" or even "AW Newtypes"...People with the knowledge of these certain series are simply embarrasing themselves IMHO when they try to refute entire arguements based on this discrepency...It's childish really...When you see a little white flash we all know what that means without even saying anything....and for the record I usually call them Psuedo-Newtypes when I'm basing an entire discussion on it exclusively....There are certain qualities about newtypes (in all G-series) that are relatable and tangible if expressed properly...Good post...
Old 2006-06-13, 07:34   Link #39
tetsuo69

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the dragoon system built into the Peregrande uses a system that monitors the brainwaves of its three pilots in order to acquire target coordinates. Also, according to vol 2 of the Destiny MSV mook, ZAFT's second generation dragoon system, the one used in Chaos, Strike Freedom, and Legend, also uses a system in which brainwaves are transmitted to sensors to control the remote weapons. Of course, this system is set up for a single, more capable pilot.
i didnt know this as most of the times anti Seed fans keep saying that the Dragoon System does all the work -_-
Old 2006-06-13, 07:46   Link #40
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Tetsuo, you know I'm not an "anti-SEED fan", I love SEED, but nothing at all suggests that the DRAGOONs are mind controlled, especially when the official word is that they're "wirelessly controlled" with the quantum computers aboard the mobile suit - the superior spatial awareness required to use them is so that one can place and use them effectively while still being able to focus on the battle, I reckon. With Legend, that's not even required anymore - I guess those DRAGOONs or the computer controlling them have a higher level of autonomy.

Also...

Quote:
what can U.C newtypes do that C.E newtypes cant? i ask cause i havent watch every U.C series.
They don't feel just Newtypes, they can feel another person's intent to attack and react to it before it happens, for instance. They can feel emotions and communicate telepathically. They can influence people around them.

Quote:
Newtype Dolphin > EVERYTHING!
The man speaketh the truth, you can't beat a bloody dolphin.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote