AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-06-15, 15:48   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
The quintessential "anime in the U.S." problem

While I realize there are several problems that spring to mind, one of the most obvious ones is this: the fact that people in the U.S. don't know how to differentiate between anime and hentai. They simply think that it is all anime and that everybody that watches anime (besides kids) watches hentai. I saw the following news article today:

http://wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5035694

that explains about halfway through that anime is an animation style that often contains "graphic sexual images".

Anybody else get annoyed by this?


Edit: mods, you may want to move this to general anime- I don't know why I missed it earlier.
__________________
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 16:22   Link #2
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Age: 51
Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Conor Hanratty
Theater director, 24
I studied Japanese contemporary culture before I came here and I don't really like manga. There are a lot involving incest, particularly mother-son relationships. It can be weird and its part of the arrested development I feel here.
That was from The Japan Times Online where they interview people on the street in Tokyo about different things, this time it was about manga. So it seems that kind of perception is pretty wide spread.

Of course then there was the Texas comic book store owner that got arrested for pretty much the same charges, because he had adult comics in the store. Even though they were behind the counter inaccessible to the customers, and they only would let adults look at them. But just the fact that he had them in the store and that comics are for children was enough to charge him.
__________________
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 17:54   Link #3
LytHka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Well, what can you do? Stop calling erotic/sexual anime, games and manga "hentai". That's the first step against mass enlightment. o.ob
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 21:22   Link #4
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Well, what can you do? Stop calling erotic/sexual anime, games and manga "hentai". That's the first step against mass enlightment. o.ob
???

Call me slow, but I'm not sure I get what you're saying
__________________
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 00:56   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
Of course then there was the Texas comic book store owner that got arrested for pretty much the same charges, because he had adult comics in the store. Even though they were behind the counter inaccessible to the customers, and they only would let adults look at them. But just the fact that he had them in the store and that comics are for children was enough to charge him.
If you're referring to the Gordon Lee case (the only one like this I know), that's actually in Georgia, not Texas. I know all of us southern states look alike, but Texas has some of the loosest pornography laws I've ever seen .... and I'm from Nevada where brothels are legal.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 02:01   Link #6
Ziv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ALASKA!!! W00t! I'm BACK FINALLY!!!!
Age: 26
Well, there is the fact that even if it's not neccesarilly sexual, there's still borderline stuff like the first(second?) episode of fumoffu with the nude twins, and that one(two?) episode(s) of samurai champloo with the remakes of nude japanese paintings, plus the fanservice rampant in anime just to name a few examples.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 02:56   Link #7
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sixth Layer of Celestia
Age: 32
^ The nude twins are in second raid, fumoffu is Full Metal comedy. The fanservice thing depends on the kind of anime. It's like a (edit) lousy US comedy where sexual remarks pass here and there and boobs reign supreme.

Last edited by npal; 2006-06-16 at 05:29.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 03:52   Link #8
black shadow
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
i had the this conversation with my older sis and she said that anime

had become so popular around the world becuse of (graphic sexual images)

>_< but thats noot right ...

and yaha i am annoyed by that article #_#
__________________
black shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 06:05   Link #9
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Age: 51
Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
If you're referring to the Gordon Lee case (the only one like this I know), that's actually in Georgia, not Texas. I know all of us southern states look alike, but Texas has some of the loosest pornography laws I've ever seen .... and I'm from Nevada where brothels are legal.

It's been awhile since I heard about that one, and for some reason Texas just came to mind. (I've always had a bad memory for names.) But you're right anything south of Ohio is just a bunch of too warm for me land.

As for anime/manga, it just seems to be human nature to fixate on the sensational/titillating, while the boring/mundane ordinary gets ignored.
__________________
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 09:08   Link #10
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
^ The nude twins are in second raid, fumoffu is Full Metal comedy. The fanservice thing depends on the kind of anime.
Nude twins are definitely in The Second Raid, but Fumoffu did have that episode at the hot springs. Personally I think that's the second funniest episode in the series (though it does trail the always hysterical rugby episode).

Y'know, I've never actually met someone who thinks that anime = pr0n. I've met plenty who think that animation is kiddy shows (which is easy to disabuse them of), but I've never met someone who actually equated anime to pr0n.

And npal's right, fanservice can't really bother US audiences that much. Between reality TV, Desparate Housewives (which is actually a well done show), soap operas and most movies, it's not like it's anything they haven't seen before. I think the major shock is that it's animated, not that it's there. The US still generally equates animation to children (though I'm pretty sure kj1980 said that it's the same for the majority in Japan, and at least I don't have to worry about being ostracized or fired for having my Full metal Alchemist calendar at work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
But you're right anything south of Ohio is just a bunch of too warm for me land.
Heh, just remember Texas is the state where everyone else comes to get guns, alcohol and pr0n. Gambling goes to Louisiana, and we split sex between us.
God I miss Nevada.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 09:25   Link #11
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Do you really give a damn?
Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Once again, a person who likes loli-con gets caught and gives yes a lower reputation. People don't know when to look at their hentai/loli-con/shota-con/whatever else they may have. When you're in public, DO NOT bring any kind of material that may be racy, especially loli-con and shota-con. By simply having it at school, you might as well say "Throw me in sing-sing now!". I have a friend who like loli-con, but is smart enough to know to leave it at home. After all, it would suck to have one of the collest guys I've met to get shived off to the slammer. How come it feels like the older a loli-con lover gets, the dumber he becomes about viewing his fetish? The 18 and 19 year-olds I know are smart enough to not view it in public, then we have 25 to 40 year-old men getting arrested like the police get a giant gold nugget for every person viewing loli-con they catch. The only way those people could be in more trouble is if they were real children naked and having sex they brought along out into the public eye.
__________________
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 09:35   Link #12
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
Look at the picture carefully. What saddens me more is that the very few male teachers -- who are seriously needed to provide convincing male role models, especially for boys under Ritalin -- are increasingly being caught and discharged as sex offenders or potential sex offenders. I still don't get his stupidity though.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 09:48   Link #13
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sixth Layer of Celestia
Age: 32
^ You know, you don't actually HAVE to be a sex offender to have charges placed on you. You scold a child, the next morning, dad comes by, furious cause his daughter told him you're abusing her. Or beating his son up. Yeah, they do that.

But I agree that whatever one's sexual preferences are, they should stay at home, where they belong. Not that I agree with sexual preference of any kind, but if you want your private life to be respected, you should respect it yourself.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 10:00   Link #14
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Do you really give a damn?
Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I watched the video, and the only thing that bothered me was that they said "they were glad he was gone" just because of one thing, but overall he was very active in his job. He taught every subject each day during his teaching career. I believe it is inappropiate to say that you're glad he's gone due to a fetish which he left out in public. Hell, I'd bet that they would praise him if they still ddn't know he was a pervert. I suppose liking porn of any kind makes people "bad teachers" instead of "irresponsible teachers". There's a difference because he knew how to do his job, and very well I might add. Judging him as a teacher for a scandel does not make him anymore of a good or bad person. Plus, you rarely if every come across someone that honest. Not only did he leave it out in the open, therefore not hiding that he likes that stuff, but he also admitted drawing someone them.

Yes, he was a moron for making such a mistake, but really, were the children detramatized from that? From the sound of it, they make it seem that they weren't very fazed. Was anyone getting harmed? Nope because the pictures aren't real. I believe he should only be charged for distributation because the children, as I said, didn't seem shocked. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" my ass. If I were them, I'd be more worried about the public media. Maybe we should chareg the whole media industry for corrupting all of America's youth them. Oh wait, blaming one person for two people becoming delinquents is easier
evethough there is a half-and-half chance that they aren't affected. By the time I was 13, I wasn't even shocked by crap like that, and from what I notice, it's very seldom that a little child porn will corrupt the youth that have heard every swear word by the age of 8 or younger and have watched R-rated movies.

In my last post, I just said my insight about people who like that perverted crap, but now my opinion on the article is a little different. "Anime is a style of animation which originated in Japan. It often contains graphic adult imagery." I just loved how they labeled anime with a minority title as blow it out to as if it is composed up of this in the majority percentage. I wonder who they got to count the amount of images because if it was just anyone, they would probably feel dirty counting each one. In the end, this man is a moron who needs to know some things are best left that you don't be honest about it, such as showing porn to the children. If he was smart, he could be home whacking it off right now instead of going to court.

His actions were the equivalent to a murderer showing people a dead body which he obtained by stabbing a guy in the back and expecting them not to tell anyone: Unless your intention is to go to jail, then you are an idiot. If you wish to stay in society, then keep that kind of crap to yourself.
__________________
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 12:21   Link #15
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Yes, he was a moron for making such a mistake, but really, were the children detramatized from that? From the sound of it, they make it seem that they weren't very fazed. Was anyone getting harmed? Nope because the pictures aren't real. I believe he should only be charged for distributation because the children, as I said, didn't seem shocked. "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" my ass. If I were them, I'd be more worried about the public media. Maybe we should chareg the whole media industry for corrupting all of America's youth them. Oh wait, blaming one person for two people becoming delinquents is easier
evethough there is a half-and-half chance that they aren't affected. By the time I was 13, I wasn't even shocked by crap like that, and from what I notice, it's very seldom that a little child porn will corrupt the youth that have heard every swear word by the age of 8 or younger and have watched R-rated movies.
I DEFINITELY would have been shocked at such pictures at that age (hell...animated child porn....call me uppity, but I'd STILL be shocked- I got into anime for the well told stories and don't approve of any variety of porn). So I DO think that the man deserves a nice dose of jail time if he was gonna leave such material in the hands of kids.

But the rest of your post- yeah, I was shocked at how unfairly and narrowly anime was defined in the article. If the uninformed read articles like this, then it's no wonder that the average guy on the street thinks that anime is weird or wrong. Consequently, most of my relatives think it's both.
__________________
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 22:01   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I watched the video, and the only thing that bothered me was that they said "they were glad he was gone" just because of one thing, but overall he was very active in his job. He taught every subject each day during his teaching career. I believe it is inappropiate to say that you're glad he's gone due to a fetish which he left out in public. Hell, I'd bet that they would praise him if they still ddn't know he was a pervert. I suppose liking porn of any kind makes people "bad teachers" instead of "irresponsible teachers". There's a difference because he knew how to do his job, and very well I might add. Judging him as a teacher for a scandel does not make him anymore of a good or bad person. Plus, you rarely if every come across someone that honest. Not only did he leave it out in the open, therefore not hiding that he likes that stuff, but he also admitted drawing someone them.
You assumed that it was all a mistake. But, as pointed out in this Canadian fact sheet that was removed because of not diiferentiating hentai from non hentai anime and manga etc., exposing kids to hentai is considered a way to lower their sexual inhibitions. For all you know he could have been trying to recruit sexual partners.

I'm glad that he is gone also.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.