AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 01:36   Link #241
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Don't leave out Furudanuki and a dozen or so other people who've admitted to me they were "over 40" in this forum.

If you're interested in Japanese culture - you can't ignore Japanese pop culture. Anime and manga, j-music and fashion, or language and literature - its just interesting stuff. I've been immersed in my heritage (Irish/Scot/Celt) for several decades and its good for the brain to force it to think about things in new ways.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 14:28   Link #242
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Personally i think it's like any other hobby or pastimes, the more anime you watch, the more fickle you became especially once you hit the age where time is rather precious that you simply cant waste them going through stuff that doesnt interest you.
Actually, I don't think it's a case of not liking anime anymore, so much as it's a case of new anime being to similar to older anime one has already watched. I'll still re-watch the older anime instead, like Ah! My Goddess, Bartender, and the like. I'll still check out newer anime, though I'm less likely to stick with them. Shigofumi held me to the end though. And I'm looking forward to fansubs of Kure-Nai, as well.

PS, as mentioned, I'm 46 now!
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 07:06   Link #243
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
your probably too old when you cant find any anime you enjoy anymore, until that happens you re good to go weither you are 14 or 70
Old 2008-04-02, 09:47   Link #244
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

How OLD you say i say

WHEN YOU ARE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuz hey you are dead hahahahah
Old 2008-04-02, 15:14   Link #245
Nemu

I don't think you can be too old to watch anime, if you enjoy/like anime, then you just do. ^_^ That is what I always thought.

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 15:34   Link #246
ESC

Some anime are targeted towards older audience like shigurui. I know some people in their 30s who read manga but usually they stop watching anime. I think the reason they stop is not because they think they are too mature to watch cartoon but because being old means having more responsibilities and the leisure to watch anime is just too difficult.
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 15:36   Link #247
Don_Don_Kun
Custom User Title

I don't think that anyone should have to worry about age restrictions on watching anime.

Anime is just one of many types of media. It would be like asking the question: " how old is too old to watch movies or T.V?"

The reason why we may feel its awkward after a certain age to still be watching anime is based on the general reception of anime in North America. It may be different for people who live in different countries, such as Japan, because its generally accepted in their culture.

Although, just like anything else that you may be interested in, if it starts to get boring or overly repetititve, you can stop at any time.
Old 2008-04-02, 18:27   Link #248
mandarb916

I think the more important thing to consider, rather than age, is how it affects your social life/career/family/etc.

If you're fulfilling all your obligations and it's on par with watching say friends or house or whatever, then age shouldn't matter
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 20:20   Link #249
Wastelander
Kimochi Warui

I think you should watch anime until you die. Anime's plots and characters may be geared towards teens, but they are still an enjoyable experience for everyone. I mean, an ideal midlife for me would be to come home from work, open a beer and turn on Cowboy bebop every night. Anime is different because of it's adult nature, so i think mature, normal people have every right to watch it. But, what do I know, I'm only 15.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:37   Link #250
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

never is my opinion never is too old!
Old 2008-04-02, 23:24   Link #251
Z3120

Never. It'd be like saying I've grown too old to enjoy the simple things in life.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 01:13   Link #252
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
Anime's plots and characters may be geared towards teens, but they are still an enjoyable experience for everyone.
uh...Oishimbo isn't geared towards teens lol
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 05:39   Link #253
yadango

never too old to watch anime. if you are old and addicted to kiddie anime, then yes, something is wrong with you lol.
yadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 07:21   Link #254
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, I'd better schedule a visit to a therapist soon since I'm certainly becoming addicted to watching Chi's Sweet Home.
Old 2008-04-03, 07:24   Link #255
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, I'd better schedule a visit to a therapist soon since I'm certainly becoming addicted to watching Chi's Sweet Home.
Who isn't! Such an adorable series.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 15:30   Link #256
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
It's a complicated question for something that's much simpler. It also assumes that age = maturity. There are grown men who show less intellectual and emotional maturity than some teenagers. The answer to this question is that you are too old to watch anime when you begin to feel uninterested in it. Personally, I have not given up *all* anime, but I do find that series I used to find interesting have become more uninteresting, and the anime that I genuinely have an interest in have become few in number.

Let's go back in time and take the classic Dragonball Z series as an extreme example. When I was a child, I was obsessed with it and watched it weekly. I thought it was the greatest thing in existence. But then, you grow up and it becomes uninteresting to you because you have aged and become more mature. When is too old to watch Dragonball Z? When you become uninterested in it.

I used to watch many anime series and enjoyed all of them. Nowadays, I only rarely come across series I truly enjoy (like Honey and Clover, or Ghibli films). There's a reason for this. When people really become older and more mature, they will naturally become uninterested in the series that are too immature for them. If it's true as some people say that anime is -all- for kids, than perhaps one day I will not watch anime at all. I'll tell you if that happens. Currently, my answer is that while a lot of anime is not exactly thoughtful material, quality still exists in some productions and the content still interests me, therefore I am not too old for it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 23:53   Link #257
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Actually, I don't think it's a case of not liking anime anymore, so much as it's a case of new anime being to similar to older anime one has already watched. I'll still re-watch the older anime instead, like Ah! My Goddess, Bartender, and the like. I'll still check out newer anime, though I'm less likely to stick with them. Shigofumi held me to the end though. And I'm looking forward to fansubs of Kure-Nai, as well.

PS, as mentioned, I'm 46 now!
I'm a bit younger than you but I'm getting up there too

anyhow, how old is too old? as long as you're getting something out of it, then what's the problem?

Although I do admit I've pretty well outgrown a lot of anime. Seeing lovestruck teens struggle to make their love confession for the Nth time wears thin (although I truly appreciate School Rumble, so go figure).

and besides, honestly I don't think I would have appreciated anime as much when I was younger ...

Last edited by Happy_Chip; 2008-04-03 at 23:55. Reason: added comment
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 06:31   Link #258
deltakano
1つの愛

It's the same question as how old is too old to read comic books?

The answer is the same: never.
deltakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:36   Link #259
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

WALL OF WORDS AHEAD/FAIR WARNING & APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE

As long as anime continues to present us with interesting stories, and as long as we are open to watching them, we'll never be too old. Once (as has been said already) it becomes boring or repetetive, then probably yes, you've gotten too old. OR, more likely just need a break until something interesting comes along.

Originally I kept my age hidden, but Vexx convinced me that it really didn't matter here. I see that he was right

Ramblin' rant:
I've always had a nonchalant attitude towards "aging". I still don't care about fitting in or conforming to society's so-called standards. I don't want to be like "them." I can't relate to most people "my own age," or their viewing habits. I never watch TV, so I'm not brainwashed or manipulated for consumerism purposes, and my life is better for it; I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all. But then, I have a lot of different, nonconformist views about society in general that some might consider overly hostile, so I'll tread lightly. I simply view "them" as they view "us."

"Hope I die before I get old." -The Who

Therefore, I don't plan on getting old My body might, but my mind will stay forever young, open to new things, willing to experiment, and appreciate things which those "of my age group" might not accept. Independence is a good thing. Dependence is NOT: dependance on what to think, how to act, what to watch on TV... brain-deadening things. Just look at all those content to sit on the couch, watch the latest stupidifying reality show, grow fat and ever closer to the grave, stressing out at fitting in.

Hell, no.

For perspective: I was a 14 year-old kid who hung out on Haight Street in late '66-'67 before it became "cool" and it was dangerous to be different, where I was accepted regardless of my age, looks, beliefs, or "status". That's how a society should be. The happiness and joy was in our own self-contained "society" where all were accepted who "first, did no harm." Very simple philosophy. We didn't need the outside world, who resented and hated us for our independence. And people were FAR less hateful and derisive then than they are today; such disgusting traits and tendencies to me, for all time. But we were forever branded as outsiders, until we conformed to the majority's expectations of how we should be. To "them."

In truth, they are the outsiders; there's just more of them. Safety in numbers, and all that. Baa-aa

If you're thinking that this hasn't anything to do with how anime fans are viewed, read it again

As I've spent most of the past deade or two concentrating on my novel I didn't get into anime until a year ago. But since then I've literally spent nearly every day (and most waking hours LOL) playing catch up, and always finding more to watch, stories that make our media's pale in comparison for the most part. I want GOOD STORIES; I could care less how they're delivered. Anime, due to its length, intelligence, beauty, and involving plots, has rarely disappointed.

I love it

I also love the creators who work hard at providing it to us, and want to reward them with my $$, which they ought to get as fair recompense for their dilligence.

I could go on but I guess you get the idea

"Act my age"? No, thank you. No such thing

Sorry for the length, hope it was helpful/informative
Old 2008-04-04, 20:45   Link #260
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

I'm thinking 114 years old sounds good.

Note: This only applies if I am legally blind at that point.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote