AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-06-27, 09:59   Link #361
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I have a small question. This is a thread about watching anime. What, eactly, does your answer have to do with "Watching Anime."
Very good point.

For the record. I'm 37, watching anime and do not cover myself "head-to-toe with the giant image of a preteen anime girl" or ever felt like it. I own a lot of anime and some manga but no merchandising material in any form which I personally consider a terrible waste of money. YMMW, which is fine with me. I vaguely remember times when I had cartoon characters on my walls. They weren't preteen either, I was. All in all, if we gonna have a "I'm looking down on you" match then I'm confident to beat Dingo by his own rules. But don't want to play such games.

I also don't understand what this age 25 watershed is supposed to mean even if it's only a random number. In my book an adult is an adult and should behave like one, whatever that means exactly. It does certainly not exclude watching anime. My life now is different from the time when I still was a university student but this is due to changing circumstances (more money, less time, more responsibility, less health, ...) rather than because I follow some ideal of of how one is supposed to act at age 20, 30, 40, 50, ... . Lucky are those who are able to do what they want - within the limits that are the same for any adult.

But I'm glad that there is some discussion here in this thread that normally tends to go in circles. And that for so long that if you still remember of how it started you're probably really to old to watch anime.
Old 2008-06-28, 02:23   Link #362
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Age has nothing to do with it. Reading manga and watching anime is a way to pass time kind of like watching TV or reading books. It all depends on ones interests and preferences. You can never be old enough to enjoy something you love to do.
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 15:38   Link #363
Apluszypher

Ok no offence that is a stupid question. If you really love anime then It doesnt matter if your 18 or if your 90. Anime is Anime. I will watch anime till I die and if i can ill watch it in the other world. Maybe there i can finally be a character in one.

Last edited by Apluszypher; 2008-06-28 at 16:09.
Apluszypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 03:20   Link #364
Astrid Widjaja
Anime 4eva
*Artist

I guess....
There is no word too old to watch anime anyway
Hahaha...
That's my opinion
Age can't stop us to enjoy Anime!!!!
Astrid Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 19:31   Link #365
neqael
World Destruction Commit.

As long as your eyes don't give out you mean.
But I agree, watching anime is OK as long as you're enjoying it, no matter how old you are.
neqael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 20:01   Link #366
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I just sorta watch anime. Sometimes it seems childish and sometimes it doesn't- it depends on the series ^^
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:02   Link #367
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Anime is a large genre with a variety of specialities. When I was about twelve, I liked the mahou shoujo stuff. About thirteen, I was obsessed with shounen and shipping. Now, I'm nineteen and into the more serious stuff with a focus on character development. As long as anime continues to be as varied as it is, I'm not praticularly worried about age or when it's time for me to 'mature'. Anime IS what you make it to be. It can be a mature or immature hobby...a medium doesn't dictate that. It's kinda like saying, 'when do you stop watching television shows'?

The only reason why this question even comes up is because of the 'kiddy' exterior anime holds...people have preconcieved notions about animation in the countries we live in because the medium is usually used to cater to children. That isn't the case for anime--it's used for pr0n, psycholocial thrillers, slash-and-hack fests, romance, angst, etc--and these interests don't stop at a praticular age.
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:40   Link #368
War_lothar

Is prison break deeper than monster? Is Grey´s anatomy more mature than Kimi ga nozomu eien, Aisheteru ze baby? Is Star trek better than Leyend of the galactic heroes? Is any stupid comedy show sillier than Great teacher onizuka, golden boy or lucky star?.

So, what is the reason?, Why are you asking this question?. For me I think that the anime isn´t about how old are you.
War_lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:10   Link #369
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
If you stop caring about anime characters and it's plot doesn't move you anymore, then anime becomes just a regular cartoon. Animes with comedy can match some of the real comedy movies or series, same thing is with serious anime with theme and plot that can exceed the plot of a well thought Hollywood movie. It's not about age, it is about how well your imagination is to grasp certain plot/character with understanding, live actors or not. For some, cartoon will stay a cartoon, for others, anime is more then that, it is a movie or series with 2d characters =)
Old 2009-03-29, 17:27   Link #370
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ya'll realize ya'll are re-opening a thread started in 2006 and last posted in almost a year ago?
Old 2009-03-29, 17:40   Link #371
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

In my opinion the only time you are too old to watch anime is when your bones are wasting away in a coffin.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 17:47   Link #372
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

you got realize Anime for people in China or Japan is like Disney catoon, or snoopy comics on everyday paper. there are a lot of people in their 30s are still reading manga. a lot of people stopped because they got job have a family, simply not have enough time to follow everything.

when u have a full time job in a competitive environment where you have to do over time constantly and have kids and wife at home at the same rtime, u do not going to have the leisure or time to sit down and follow anime/manga one by one... and after living in an environment like that for couple years, when u do get time, u probably will want to spend more time with your family or just sleep

once someone got their priority straight, there are more important thing than when is the next gundam series coming out. (unless u work in the industry) eventually, any of us will stop watching anime....
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:57   Link #373
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post

when u have a full time job in a competitive environment where you have to do over time constantly and have kids and wife at home at the same rtime, u do not going to have the leisure or time to sit down and follow anime/manga one by one... and after living in an environment like that for couple years, when u do get time, u probably will want to spend more time with your family or just sleep
So true, I'm in this situation right now. My wife and I watch very little anime these days.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 20:11   Link #374
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ya'll realize ya'll are re-opening a thread started in 2006 and last posted in almost a year ago?
I wonder if these people search for these threads....
Well, we're continuously getting new members, and they want to voice their opinion, I suppose.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 20:23   Link #375
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

This thread is making me depressed T.T As a university student, I don't have much time to spend on anime than I used to, and hearing from people living the life of the society having no time to commit to anime makes me view my future as so. Though I mostly see this as a priority problem, ie. is your work and family more important than anime or not. I just hope I'll have a bit easier job so I don't have to go through this problem.

As for the question itself, when is a good time to stop practicing your hobby? I say when you are not interested in it anymore or when its physically impossible. For myself, I can hardly think of becoming disinterested in anime when I have been an active viewer for a long time.
Old 2009-03-30, 04:31   Link #376
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
I don't think any age is too old to watch anime. My mother is 40 and she is obsessed with Trinity Blood and Bleach!
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 15:23   Link #377
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've studied japanese culture (and other cultures) most of my life but didn't pick up the anime habit til my mid-40s while learning the japanese language. Basically it took someone showing me that anime was a lot more than just explosions, shouting, and stupid posturing. It has drama, romance, comedy and any other form of entertainment....
Saying you like anime is about like saying you like "books".
Old 2009-03-30, 15:31   Link #378
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
So true, I'm in this situation right now. My wife and I watch very little anime these days.
I don't think that the question is "have you the time or not", it's about stating an age limitation for watching anime.

Imo, besides the time factor, I don't see why a person could not watch animes, could not play to videogames etc. just because some dudes would say that "over XX you're too old for that."

Watching animes is not unheathy. It can be if you watch 20 animes per day, but it's the same as eating. If you eat 20kg of candies, it's no good.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:11   Link #379
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I don't think that the question is "have you the time or not", it's about stating an age limitation for watching anime.

Imo, besides the time factor, I don't see why a person could not watch animes, could not play to videogames etc. just because some dudes would say that "over XX you're too old for that."

Watching animes is not unheathy. It can be if you watch 20 animes per day, but it's the same as eating. If you eat 20kg of candies, it's no good.
there is no age limits for anime, what narona saying is as you get older, somethings are more important than watching anime, and thats when someone stops
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:20   Link #380
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

To be different I'll say 84 years and 3 months.

After that your simply to old too watch it....
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote