AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-01, 14:55   Link #61
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Hagu seems to be only a plot device for Takemoto and Morita to develop their characters. This may not be the correct analogy, but Hagu seems to be the Daisy to the Jay Gatsby of Takemoto or Morita; however, Takemoto and Morita are much better people and much more selfless ones. But she's as distant for me as Daisy was, and serves to exist only to build up the character of the two, of course, IMO, that is.

Takemoto, observing the spoilers in the manga, seems to be a much better guy now.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 15:54   Link #62
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya

For me, Hagu is a real person, not just a plot device (although she's that, too). I've liked her from the start. She's another kind of social-skill-free artist, like Morita. I think it might have even been in ep2 of the first series that we saw what a big artist little Hagu was. From what she's written, maybe Umino-sensei was somewhat like her at school.

It might have been my imagination, but it seemed to me in ep1 of H&C2 that Kudou Haruka's voice-work as Hagu was more vivid this time around. I do think she learned a lot doing Noein.

I feel as if some people are prejudiced against Hagu and just view her as a type -- one they don't much like. For me, she is as much a real person as any of the others, although certainly Umino-sensei is not giving her as much time as others. She's hardly a very assertive person, but she does make her own decisions. And she has a lot to think about: what art to do, how best to do it, who to be with, how to respond to the demands of the art experts and the praise of all around her, etc., etc. Just because we aren't shown all that pondering, doesn't mean she isn't doing it.

I was satisfied with the initial recap chapter, which was probably the right thing to do, but I'll be more excited as the new material rolls out. More NomiyaxAyu, please!
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:48   Link #63
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

NomiyaxAyu... Ugh, nonononono, there's something in that guy that I don't like Certainly not! MoritaxAyu FTW
Old 2006-07-01, 16:58   Link #64
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I'd accept both as long as it's not Mayama X Ayu...

At least, not until Mayama stops treating Ayu as his "backup plan" to fall unto if something doesn't work out with Rika.

I like Mayama a lot, but that trait of his is just ugly (but somewhat common in real life). If he was really serious about having Ayu only as a friend and nothing more, he shouldn't have reacted so possessively when Nomiya appeared. Showed his true colors, so to speak...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 17:04   Link #65
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I'd accept both as long as it's not Mayama X Ayu...

At least, not until Mayama stops treating Ayu as his "backup plan" to fall unto if something doesn't work out with Rika.

I like Mayama a lot, but that trait of his is just ugly (but somewhat common in real life). If he was really serious about having Ayu only as a friend and nothing more, he shouldn't have reacted so possessively when Nomiya appeared. Showed his true colors, so to speak...
Quoted for truth. I actually never expected Mayama to act like that and still go after Rika. Tsk tsk, shame shame. Not much of a man, no wonder Rika is reserved about the whole issue
Old 2006-07-01, 17:31   Link #66
tritoch

Eh, I know a person who is like Hagu in terms of personality. Totally the silent type and a genius at what he does. So Hagu's not really a plot device, she's the representation of the minority category of stereotyped people.

I myself is like Morita. So no big.

Oh yeah. chapter 63 is up up up!

edit:
OMFG.. I just read it! I WAS LIKE WTF!!!

Can anyone translate it for me please? =p
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 20:18   Link #67
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It may be just me, but I don't see Mayama as that guy some of you people pertain to. Ayu isn't his backup plan; he tries to protect Ayu, from what I've seen, from the advances of Nomiya simply because he thinks Nomiya's a player, which was characterized by his throwing of his cellphone while a girlfriend called into the ocean. He even said so himself: if only Nomiya showed more seriousness in treating Ayu like the queen she really is, he wouldn't have had to make such a fool of himself. I don't see him as the 'guy with the backup plan,' I see him as the caring friend part of the group of caring friends in Honey and Clover. If you try to make someone your backup plan you try to remain vague. As early as episode three, he even told her to look for another man. I don't think it was a ploy; rather, it just showed his character for what it really was. This is further supported by ep6, where he has told Ayu politely that he would have to deny her even if she confessed, but he doesn't want her to go away because he treasures her as a friend. I personally think it's Ayu's foible for sticking with him, not really Mayama's selfishness. That's how I see it anyway. It may be his overprotectiveness that makes it seem otherwise, but I simply see him as a true friend, only wanting his other friend's happiness, trying to protect her from what he thinks is harm.
Old 2006-07-04, 11:49   Link #68
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Subs for ep 1 are out from Solar and Ideology. Found them in baka updates. Currently downloading. Have fun
Old 2006-07-04, 11:58   Link #69
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Hopefully Ro-maiya will be in season 2.

HAM SEMPAI, COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 12:07   Link #70
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's the best thing that happened today. Thank God I didn't sleep early!
Old 2006-07-04, 17:31   Link #71
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Ahh... the recap reminds me. It stirs this soothing and nostalgic feeling when I was watching 1st season (especially listening to Takemoto's narration). And so remembering those good old days, these were the wishful pairings when watching 1st season:
Morita x Hagu
Shuu x Rika
Nomiya x Ayu
Mayama x Takemoto (yeah nice guys must be together.)

however this will be the 'harsh' reality of the 2nd season due to how their relationship revolves in the manga & beyond (if they do at all)
Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-04, 17:42   Link #72
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
Ahh... the recap reminds me. It stirs this soothing and nostalgic feeling when I was watching 1st season (especially listening to Takemoto's narration). And so remembering those good old days, these were the wishful pairings when watching 1st season:
Morita x Hagu
Shuu x Rika
Nomiya x Ayu
Mayama x Takemoto (yeah nice guys must be together.)

however this will be the 'harsh' reality of the 2nd season due to how their relationship revolves in the manga & beyond (if they do at all)
Spoiler:

Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean by the pairings outlined in your spoiler. Are those the pairings that will actually occur in season 2 according to the manga or are those pairing what you think/wish might happen?
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 17:47   Link #73
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Your spoiler will turn down and depress some people, but if I didn't know about the manga, it would probably make me laugh a whole lot. I love~LOVE the first pairing, but I don't think your fourth one will come into completion, that is unless you're meaning a platonic, friendly relationship only. Oh, and I totally approve all of the manga's pairings - however,
Spoiler for manga spoiler, don't open unless you DO know about the manga:
Old 2006-07-04, 17:55   Link #74
Spaghettos

hey the sub's out! Horray, even though I though C1 might have it out first, but yay solar and ide!
Spaghettos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 19:49   Link #75
kokujin_2000
chairman of the board

Send a message via Yahoo to kokujin_2000
From the way you guys sound, episode 1 of H&C II was a total let down. But hey there's 12 episodes left forme to download once I get back to the States. I won't lose hope for a dramatic end to a great series
kokujin_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 19:51   Link #76
howzitboy

awesome, my fav series is back. i didnt mind the recap at all, great way to introduce all the char to the new viewers. but, only 12 episodes long??? nooooooo, i want 24 or 25 at least. way to short...
howzitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 20:37   Link #77
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
I ponder if they're going to pull a School Rumble Season Two here - the
second season was going to be 12 episodes and now we're hearing as
many as possibly as 26 because we're already at twelve episodes with
*nothing* resolved as far as the potential pairings up of the romances
or would-be romances.

Okay, back to Honey and Clover. I'm glad I watched this and didn't go
"eh, it's just a recap". Something very big was let loose in the intro that
nobody has mentioned and I think it's significant:

Spoiler:

Okay, so maybe not a huge surprise revealed but I was very surprised at
this revelation.
Old 2006-07-04, 20:49   Link #78
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
I ponder if they're going to pull a School Rumble Season Two here - the
second season was going to be 12 episodes and now we're hearing as
many as possibly as 26 because we're already at twelve episodes with
*nothing* resolved as far as the potential pairings up of the romances
or would-be romances.
Unlike School Rumble, there is just not enough material to play with. I have no idea if SR2 just has enough manga to cover or it just stretches stuff, but I certainly don't think that Honey and Clover 2 can be made into a 26 episode series without some serious out-of-the-arse filler work.

Who'd want that?! Not me.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-04, 22:55   Link #79
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
The issue is: as the anime progresses more issues of the manga are released.

So ultimately, they're going to run out of material one way or another.

My guess: 12 episodes and perhaps some OVAs for the DVD release down the road.
Old 2006-07-04, 22:59   Link #80
brightredglow

I'm glad that I went ahead and got the Ep 1 of H&CII in spite of the lackluster responses from the RAW.

It may be a recap, but it was a recap that was put to good use, imho.

For me, I got this wonderful sense of closure for the first season as I listened to Takemoto's narration but there was also a sense of hints of where the next "revolve" will go. Plus, there was the iconic piano version of Waltz playing at one point that never fails to get to me and the insert song in Nakayoshi was so effortless that I felt like the time between the last episode and this one just melted away.

Although I've gotten some hints of what is to come from manga spoilers, I am still very interested in how JC Staff will translate it to screen. I've become a bit of manga-snob, but in H&C's case, the animated version may be that rare case of the anime being superior to the manga. There is just something magical in JC Staff's version that is missing when looking at the manga.

There does seem to be a hope amongst fans that there will be some romantic resolutions, but I am probably in the minority in that I don't feel the need for them. H&C is indeed about love, but it seems more about friendship and the way it sustains through the trials and tribulations of making that last "revolve" into adulthood and then beyond that. Some of the players will find love (although I have to admit if the only ones are Rika and Mayama, who are probably the most painfully boring pair of the bunch, I will cry just a little), but others may not during our visit with them. I'll be fine with it. The main thing is the journey.

Gads, but I really love this show and I'm just so happy that it is back.
brightredglow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, noitamina, romance