AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Old 2005-12-27, 03:44   Link #1
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

My doodle(s)

Hey all, I mainly like to draw mech style line designs but I decided to switch it up one night and doodle some original faces...got carried off and soon enough I noticed that the the hair style looked like Motoko Kusanagi AKA The Major from Ghost in the Shell, finished it with the rest of her hair style and parts of her battle custume and here we have chibi Motoko.

What do you guys think?
Old 2005-12-27, 13:34   Link #2
Airista

aww that is very cute ^_^ I really think that you got the Major down pretty good there. XD You might want to try doing chibis of the rest of the cast ^^
Airista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 14:07   Link #3
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

feels like chara from "Detective Conan"!?!?!

kindy good~will be better with colored version~
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 02:05   Link #4
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
You're a heck of a lot better than I am....
Old 2005-12-28, 07:59   Link #5
sarrah
tikki

cool! try using black lines instead
Old 2005-12-29, 21:43   Link #6
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Thanks guys, I have a question about using fine ink pens, which type/brand are good? I hardly use pens drawing so all I know is that I suck with them(bleeding all over the place).

Here are two of the older stuff that I had...One was Lacus freehand(came out like crap on the scanner cuz my parts were too light) and the other is a piece I dropped a while ago which was another freehand of Aya.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-03, 00:41   Link #7
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn13
Hey all, I mainly like to draw mech style line designs but I decided to switch it up one night and doodle some original faces...got carried off and soon enough I noticed that the the hair style looked like Motoko Kusanagi AKA The Major from Ghost in the Shell, finished it with the rest of her hair style and parts of her battle custume and here we have chibi Motoko.

What do you guys think?

Aaaack! Double/Multiple-Stroking, that's a big no-no. Your older attempts are much better.
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 04:02   Link #8
iyami ame

Send a message via AIM to iyami ame Send a message via Yahoo to iyami ame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracknut
Aaaack! Double/Multiple-Stroking, that's a big no-no. Your older attempts are much better.
i Always multistroke .___. its NOT a big no-no.. but it Does take time to get the hang of, like everything else art-related. thats like saying "your soft shaded art was better, so dont do cell shades!" @__@; its fairly ignorant advice advice.. please dont say things like that.. thank you <3
iyami ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 17:22   Link #9
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

I see, usually I multistroke for doodles/sketches. If I wanted to freehand from something, it doesn't happen much and I have my first light layer than I fix the lines with a harder pencil lining like the two other pictures I added on(Lacus and Aya).
Old 2006-01-10, 08:53   Link #10
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyami ame
i Always multistroke .___. its NOT a big no-no.. but it Does take time to get the hang of, like everything else art-related. thats like saying "your soft shaded art was better, so dont do cell shades!" @__@; its fairly ignorant advice advice.. please dont say things like that.. thank you <3
Sorry if I had offened you in some way. But I am saying it as in a professional standpoint since I am a professional animator for five years and my collegues have worked with Japanese firms before.

Quote:
I see, usually I multistroke for doodles/sketches. If I wanted to freehand from something, it doesn't happen much and I have my first light layer than I fix the lines with a harder pencil lining like the two other pictures I added on(Lacus and Aya).
Fair enough. But I would suggest reversing it by trying a harder pencil for the rough sketches (like an H or 2H, or even HB), then trace it back on the separate sheet of paper using a heavier pencil or ink, if you are confident enough. Most pros in the industry do this. In the animation industry we use a different color pencil (most often blue), then clean it up. For illustrators the trace-paper transfer method is the prefered technique. Haruhiko Mikimoto does this and he has a step-by-step tutorial in one of his portfolio books. As for digital art, most of these techniques are transferable especially if you use Photoshop, Painter, or any other similar software. There are tons of reference books out there.

Lastly I can't emphasize how important clean lines are. Being in art school for five years before I entered into the industry (this would include Print, Animation and Filmaking, by the way I'm 33 if you are curious), my teachers as well as my work really hammered this into me, so this is not an ignorant statement. One must really know how to draw clean lines and the only method is to practice stroking with out going over your lines again and again. How can you be able to see what you are drawing when there is a lot of scribbles? (this is the extreme). But then "hairy lines" (a term used in the animation industry) doesn't give the work much appeal for the editor, head animator or even the art teacher can't give an exact assesment of you work since he or she doesn't know whether your work is a rough compre or a final one other than compare that one to your past works (in which did) for the sake of fairness. For the industry it is much brutal since a lot of them have their own standards either set by the Art Director or Studio. That's also the reason why a lot of pros don't show roughs and doodles until they show the final product. When they get popular or famous that's when they show their roughs, even their most lamest compres and doodles.

Plus, adding to the fact that clean lines do raise your artwork to a more professional level.

Last edited by Cracknut; 2006-01-10 at 10:23.
Old 2006-01-11, 15:46   Link #11
bigmac996
procrastinator

Nice sketches you got there! I especially like the Lacus one. You should add some color or something. It'll really make the pieces stand out.

Oh, and Cracknut^^ bear in mind they are just doodles lol. If they were polished and complete sketches, they'd likely be cleaner lines.
bigmac996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 23:05   Link #12
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

I have, but there is always room for improvments neee?
Old 2006-02-03, 09:53   Link #13
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracknut
I have, but there is always room for improvments neee?
Indeed, good criticism. Though, remember that not all of us try to draw as a professional animator. There is such a thing as fan art, or art in general. Clean lines is not a must in those categories, in fact, that might make the piece dull/not give the effect you want from the picture.
My point is that multistroking isn't a big nono in all cases (though maybe in this one).
Old 2006-02-09, 02:49   Link #14
ximin

your sketches looks great....
...do you have a deviantart account?
ximin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 11:09   Link #15
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Nice sketches.

I love the one of Aya from Tenjou Tenge even if it isn't shaded. I think you got the face and hair perfectly in that one so good job!

The chibi one is funny as well.

I think you should colour the Aya one.
Old 2006-05-25, 07:00   Link #16
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Thanks for the comments, I admit I'm not very good but I find that picking up a pencil and doodling is a real relaxing past time...Just like recently, my gf suddenly got into horror games(she's not great at games so she watches while I play and I hate horor survivor genre).
Anyone one of the recent games I've played was Fatal Frame III which really got me doing some rough doodles:

Miku in pen(done in a lecture...) :
Spoiler:

Tattooed Priestess in pen(done at my gf's house over the weekend, I had my school equipment) :
Spoiler:

Incomplete Tattooed Priestess:
Spoiler:

Brushing Woman:
Spoiler:

Edit:
Hey guys, I found my old freehand stuff I did inbetween'96-'98 I think. Back then I really loved to free hand anime characters to test how close I could get to the original pieces, technically tracing but with the eye.

Lime _ FFVIII thing:
Spoiler:

Rei(with no mouth, always had a thing with mouths) + Asuka:
Spoiler:

Kenshin + Misao:
Spoiler:

Belldandy(manga ver.) + Wing Zero Custom:
Spoiler:

Goten + Trunks <---These are extremely old! I think it was 1994:
Spoiler:

Protoss Zealot(not anime but kickass game) + Blind(had a skater friend back then):
Spoiler:

Last edited by Syn13; 2006-05-25 at 08:28.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 08:43   Link #17
EnslavedToBitterness

Interesting artworks.

Keep it up.
EnslavedToBitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 09:25   Link #18
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

I won't comment on them all individually as there are so many but I have to say the one I think rocks the most is the first tattoo priestess one with Reika written on it. Very nicely done there.

Your pencil sketches remind me of how I used to draw a few years back. I found that kind of interesting (and nostalgic )
I also have to give you some props for the Zealot. I love Starcraft. I was a Terran player myself. I miss that game...

Anyways once again, nice work. Keep 'em coming!
Old 2006-05-25, 10:09   Link #19
raphaŽl
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaŽl Send a message via Skype™ to raphaŽl
Hey no one can beat a Zerg! lol

Anyway, needless to say your sketches are great, of course, however, I don't know if it's only because of the photographs, but it seems you don't "press" enough your lines, in my humble opinion. Am I wrong?
I wouldn't mind them a bit darker.

Then, I know nothing about drawing, but as it's written in the rules of this forum, I try to say more than "woaw". My apologies.
raphaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 05:33   Link #20
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaŽl
Hey no one can beat a Zerg! lol

Anyway, needless to say your sketches are great, of course, however, I don't know if it's only because of the photographs, but it seems you don't "press" enough your lines, in my humble opinion. Am I wrong?
I wouldn't mind them a bit darker.

Then, I know nothing about drawing, but as it's written in the rules of this forum, I try to say more than "woaw". My apologies.
Yea usually I tend to draw lightly around first and then come back around for a harder stroke...The pictures also adds more light-ness to them too, unfortunately my scanner is on the fritz so whatever I want to share for now will have to be from a camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
I won't comment on them all individually as there are so many but I have to say the one I think rocks the most is the first tattoo priestess one with Reika written on it. Very nicely done there.

Your pencil sketches remind me of how I used to draw a few years back. I found that kind of interesting (and nostalgic )
I also have to give you some props for the Zealot. I love Starcraft. I was a Terran player myself. I miss that game...

Anyways once again, nice work. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks Kiva~ Thats cool that I have a similar pencil sketch that you've had
I actually have one more Fatal Frame picture but dunno if I should post it...its nothing special~

Another experimental piece, one thing I love about Gundam are the animated character and Mobile Suits:
Spoiler:

I also miss Starcraft too~ I used to be a "jack of all trades but master of none" type of player