AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-26, 00:54   Link #1
Twelvth

Fighting Anime

I was going to say "Martial Arts" anime, but what I think of as a martial arts anime, and what other people think of a martial arts anime, may be completely seperate things. And it doesn't necessarily need a lot of martial arts in it...

Really, I'd say I'm looking for quality anime with a high-focus on hand to hand combat. Preferably something modern-ish at least. While i love the fantasy genre, I'm kindof sick of it at the moment.

I'd also want to stay away from a lot of weird superpowers. I mean, some are okay if it's done in good tastes. I'll always love Flame of Recca for instance. And Tenjou Tenge was okay. (although I admit, it has a lot of style. A bit too fanservice-y though. It had a decent premise, I would have liked it more if it wasn't so superpowery.)

I like some comedy also.

Maybe I've just set my standards too high though... I've been looking around a while. (I didn't even get through the first 7 minutes of Real Bout High School. I think it was the random ninjas popping out and the whole K-fight thing that did it for me.)(which was actually dissappointing, because I like the whole school+fighting thing)

I also don't need the fight scenes to be super duper or anything, Kyou Kara Ore Wa is probably my favorite anime ever, and it's pretty old... and uses a lot of cheap tricks to get through animating fights.

Also not based on a fighting game... I'm kind of tired of all the fighting game animes out there also.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm being too picky... ah well.

EDIT: I found perfecting in Muteki Kanban Musume. If you haven't seen it yet, look it up. Great blend of fighting, comedy, and lack of emo-plot.

Last edited by Twelvth; 2006-10-29 at 14:05.
Old 2006-06-26, 11:59   Link #2
Brutus

grappler baki is pretty good
Old 2006-06-26, 19:59   Link #3
Twelvth

Hmm... that looks fun actually. Thanks, I'll look that up.

(I should note that I do like anime that doesn't fulfill all those requirements if somebody knows at least something close... just in case I'm scaring people away. >.>)
Old 2006-06-26, 20:29   Link #4
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Hajime no Ippo.

Its boxing.
Old 2006-06-28, 00:42   Link #5
shadowlord_756

yu yu hakusho? never seen it but I think it sorta fits (cept its a bit supernatural)
Old 2006-06-28, 01:21   Link #6
andromeda0201

Do you accept sword-fighting ones? If you don't mind those I recommend Samurai Champloo which has a lot of dueling and absolutely no superpowers....well one of the main characters sometimes does hand in hand combat as well

And this may seem a bit weird but I decided to put in Angelic Layer too, except its not humans who do the fighting, its miniature dolls which they call 'angels', the movements are very fluid and pretty impressive
Old 2006-06-28, 01:40   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvth
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm being too picky... ah well.
Yeah, lol you are too damn picky...So you don't want magical or fantasy type series or series that incoporate a fighting game, so Yu Yu Hakusho type of shows are out of the question which is a bit odd since you say you love Flame of Recca which is basically a total rip of the Dark Tournament arc of YuYu (it even looks almost exactly the same in animation)...Yu Yu hakusho does focus on school and fighting aswell early on...You don't want weird or variety of superpowers so nearly every shonen series I can think of is out of the question from Bleach and Naruto to One Piece and Shaman King...If you loved Recca though, IMO YuYu is atleast 5 times better as a whole....

Fist of The North Star is pretty old but it does incorporate hand to hand and specific martial arts fighting (Yes making a persons' head explode has a discipline to it )...There is an OVA series that is a bit newer with much better animation so you might want to check that out (This show is extremely graphic morso than Tenjo Tenge IMO)...Not sure if you want sword-play with your martial arts...The most realistic ones that don't use magical or fantasy powers would be Samurai Champloo, Peace Maker Kurogane, Samurai 7 (However this show features Samurai's who fight mecha however none of them have what I would consider magical abilities, they are just awesome fighters)...Grappler Baki is also some real fighting although kinda gross if you don't like the whole digging inside peoples skin and cutting their nerves cords while fighting them schtick ... I haven't seen Haji no Ippo but I have wanted to watch it for some time since I hear it's a good fighting series, however the Astro-Boy-ish character designs kinda turned me off...I know you are tired of magic and stuff but Street Fighter II V anime series has plenty of great hand to hand fighting sequences and different martial arts diciplines that I found highly entertaining...Perhaps you need to start watching ol' skool Kung-Fu movies which are great when you find the best ones that use real martial Arts priniciples (mostly Chinese ones as Japanese ones tend to be more fantasy based but still good, the Wu-Tang movies are all pretty dope)...

As for myself I can't wait for magical or superpowered fighting shows like Black Cat and Air Gear to come out as I love fast paced action with villains and fighters who have special abilities that lead to incredible eye-candy...I can't get enuff when it comes to finding out what powers these creators will come up with next...I never finished watching Real Bout HS, but of what I saw I liked...I have a totally different mindset when veiwing stuff like this...Anyways I've typed too damn much already, but I hope this helps because what you are asking for is indeed limited....
Old 2006-06-28, 04:08   Link #8
Twelvth

Well it isn't the superpowers themselves I'm tired of, it's how badly done they generally are. For instance, in Tenjou Tenge... The guy has the freakin' dragon inside him, he's not a cool fighter because of special training... he's a cool fighter because the training brought out what was in him already. And I don't think anybody needs me to bring up what happend with the entire Dragon Ball franchise.

And yeah, I'm totally looking into finding me a copy of Yuyu Hakusho at the moment. Eventually, from what I remember, it gets a bit on the heavyside with mystical transformations and junk... but not immediately.

I tried Air Gear... I wasn't terribly impressed. It's mostly the implementation though.

(I've also seen Angelic Layer, while good, not really what I'm looking for at the moment.)

Maybe I should give RBHS another chance... but random ninjas popping out of the bushes... *shudder*

I think I shall look up Hajime no Ippo and Peace Maker Kurogane next...

I hear Grappler Baki the series is better than the OVA... I watched part of an episode and it seemed gimmicky... perhaps I shall try again...

I think the main reason I mentioned lack of powers, wasn't for the powers themselves, but to avoid suggestions exactly like "Bleach, One Peace, Naruto..."

I also specified Fighting Anime, rather than Martial Arts anime for a reason... Samurai Champloo looks good. the episode I've seen was fun, I should look up the rest of it.

(The day I find a more modern version of Kyou kara ore wa is the day i'm happy though. It's an anime about poser delinquents beating people up and getting beat up, what's not to like?)
Old 2006-06-28, 04:27   Link #9
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvth

(The day I find a more modern version of Kyou kara ore wa is the day i'm happy though. It's an anime about poser delinquents beating people up and getting beat up, what's not to like?)
Well Yusuke Urameshi (one of my favorite anime characters of all time), the main character in YuYu, is the delinquent who has the reputation of beating every poser delinquent he ever faced...Many episodes in the first half of the series deal with him beating up entire squads of poser delinquents...His classmate Kuwabara is the best poser delinquent in the middle school...so if you loved Recca, and poser bullies, YuYu will supply alot of it..and it has 112 episodes to boot...It's my favorite shonen action anime of alltime...

In addition if you love stories about poser delinquents you gotta watch the totally hysterically comedy anime Cromartie High School... The show is about an entire school of poser delinquents and the day to day BS they go thru...
Old 2006-10-22, 23:12   Link #10
Twelvth

Well, this thread is freakishly old, but I thought I'd come back to it for an update:

In a freak accident, I found exactly what I was looking for in Muteki Kanban Musume. I highly recommend it to all parties.

It's interesting, it has no fanservice, no deeply involving plot, and replaced both of them with comedy and violence. (although its true I wouldn't mind a bit more plot, it's a rather nice break and suits well a series that's only 12 ep long.)

Shouldn't say it has no plot, more like it has enough plot, sustained entirely from the flaws in the characters, to move the story along and support the comedy, it's great. It also makes fun of and pokes reference at lots of fun stuff. (Miki and Kankuro are two of my favorite characters of all time.)
Old 2006-10-23, 08:05   Link #11
Tybbe
Baka

hajim no ippo = boxing acctualy one of my fav fighting/martial art series
tenju tenge = kidn of cool its a little about super powers and so on but the main script fitts you i think
peace maker kurogane = not any speciall powers what i know about jsut about martial art and hand to hand /sword fights
grappler baki = hand to hand fighting
samurai champloo = the name fitts the consept samurai serie
samurai deeper kyo = also a great serie
Utawarerumono = kind of slow serie to start with and in the end its about speciall powers but on the way to the end its about martial art hand to hand/sword fights
berserk = My fav all time sword serie
kenshin = hmm donno if ya have seen this but it sure thing fitts your description not to much speciall powers but hard core samurais
shura no toki = allso a god serie that ya can get the time going with.
samurai 7 = hmm dont like that they have ruined the great movie from hmm 1950 or something.. It could have been a great serie but with the concept of multi spamming mechs and so on it kind of ruined the story for me. But any way the taste is different from person to person.
hunter x hunter = like nartuo and ya will prboly like this one to
record of lodoss war = a kind of old anime but its realy great and its martial art/ sword dont remember if it was to much speciall powers in it or not but hey just look the name up and read about the serie.
scrapped princess = about a princess that are hunted all over the world or something and got two body guards one is shes brother that is awsome with a sword and her outher body guard is her sister thats a mage of some sort, guess its some speciall powers in it but yeah its a god anime.
twelve kingdom = in a different dimension swords and everything ells.. Me myself think this anime is kind of slow and realy boring but some love it so..
air master = all about fighting lead roll is a girl
Full Moon wo Sagashite = a great anime
ninja scroll = first real fighting anime i checked out the movie is some how god and nice fighting scenes but the serie is some how a little to much.
Old 2006-10-23, 11:09   Link #12
johnnybabe

i judge shows by their storylines and characters and Samurai Champloo is very good and unique,better than most anime fighting or non fighting.its pretty deep sometimes and not too depressing
Old 2006-10-25, 04:17   Link #13
Seba[tk]

I'd say Naruto would be good but i'm not really a fan of it. Yu Yu Hakusho would be good too. Flame of Recca isn't a rip from Yu Yu it's more like Yu Yu ripped Flame of Recca. Shinzo! =D
Old 2006-10-25, 11:31   Link #14
gencbiba

Flame of Recca came out in 1997, while Yu Yu Hakusho came out in 1992... Unless the creator went to the future, FoR is obviously a copy.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2006-10-28, 19:59   Link #15
Tybbe
Baka

mm flame of recca is kind of a rip off on yu yu hakusho dark tournament.
Its not quit the same fighting tec but even so ya will find that it is assembling to each outher.. I should guess that the ideas are most from yu yu hakusho
Old 2006-10-29, 02:48   Link #16
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Muteki Kanban Musume for a great mix of humour and fighting.
Old 2006-10-29, 14:04   Link #17
Twelvth

After watching both FoR and YYH in their entireties, I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying it's a rip off... it's a similar premise, and that's about it. And I know I've seen a similar theme elsewhere as well.

And yeah, I already mentioned MKM is awesome... think I'll edit it into the first post, so the search can continue!
Old 2007-11-24, 11:36   Link #18
dragonbharg

kyo kara ore wa

dude I know this is off topic. But I've watched the first episode of kyo kara ore wa and I love it. Would you know whr I can find the rest of the episodes with english subs?
Old 2007-12-26, 04:02   Link #19
Enigma 56
An Enigma of sorts

Well Brutus mentioned Baki the grappler & you should definitely try watching that again because it'll prolly hook you eventually...also Afro Samurai...i know it's not anime, but you can tell it was influenced by it and it has a lot of great swordplay and action sequences...lastly watch all of the Yuyu hakusho series and the two movies they made for it because thats a tight anime
Old 2007-12-26, 09:40   Link #20
gonzo562

hajime no ippo
Closed Thread