AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-24, 17:33   Link #121
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can say that i enjoyed the second episode more then the first, maybe for its 100% Shinbo style of love. Yoshinoya is far to amazing and hot, i'll have to rewatch this episode sometime tomorrow, just for her.

& i love how much the musical score reminds me of Animal Crossing. Though i've been ending up listening to Mahoraba's right after a episode. :3
Old 2007-02-24, 18:14   Link #122
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That's the problem, I guess. Trying to find some sort of deep message or thought in ARIA, or something like that, will make your experience with it suffer. ARIA, as I see it, is just to enjoy a quiet moment where nothing, nothing at all happens. It's something different from any other slice of life show I've ever seen, because its focus is not comedy (like many slice of life shows) nor character development (like many slice of life shows). Seeing it in this light, it might just be the only show I've seen that truly shows a slice of everyday life, with all sorts of moments, even those which might look monotonous.
Heh - goes to show you indeed how differently everyone sees shows. I find Aria to be quite thought-provoking and profound. The illusion that "nothing happens" couches the life lesson that sums up each story, and it forces you to re-evaluate everything in the episode on a symbolic/metaphorical level. Sometimes the message is simple, but some of the concepts are so profound that I find myself thinking about them for days to come. It's really poetic. But, as I said, the fact that we all see things differently is what makes life interesting.

As for this show, though, it has some poetic elements, but is also just fun to watch all around. The characters are cute, the pacing is entertaining, and it has Shaft's trademark style (with elements similar to Shinbo's work, but a different flavour that can probably be credited to the actual director Ryouki Kamitsubo). So, I just like it. It's a good show.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 18:43   Link #123
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I wouldn't call ARIA thought-provoking, but there's no question that it can be quite meaningful when it wants to. It takes the same sort of attitude towards life as H&C, ie that it's full of lessons and even though the lessons learnt in ARIA are a little more obvious than the ones in H&C, they're the type that are easy enough for anyone to forget, which makes the show really refreshing viewing at times.

Back on topic. Ep 2.

Shinbo marks the difference between this and most other slice-of-life comedies. The presentation of this will most likely be the thing that will be remembered longest of this. Other than that, cute ep. This is nothing meaningful or hilariously funny, but it is very enjoyable to watch, which is what will inevitably save it in the end.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 23:36   Link #124
Kaoru Chujo
Komatsu Mikako

Off-topic: Thanks for the posts about ARIA. I'll definitely try some more.
Komatsu Mikako 小松未可子 b88.11.11 (age 26). 2010: Heroman (Joey). 2011: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (Mizuki Kotori). 2012: Bodacious Space Pirates (Kato Marika), K (Neko). 2013: Sunday Without God (Ulla Hecmatika), Nagi no Asukara (Miuna). 2014: Soul Eater Not (Eternal Feather), Aldnoah Zero (Inko), Ao Haru Ride (Shuuko), Nisekoi (Seishirou). 2015: Junketsu no Maria (Priapos), Gangsta (Ginger), Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Hotaru), Ushio to Tora (Asako), Danchigai (Yayoi).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2015 anime previews - schedule
character/seiyuu pages: Hibike! Euphonium | Akagami no Shirayukihime | Aoharu x Kikanjuu | Charlotte | Dandelion | Gangsta | Gatchaman | GATE | Im@s Cinderella | Jitsu wa Watashi wa... | Non Non Biyori | Overlord | Rokka no Yuusha | Simoneta | Sore ga Seiyuu | Working!!!
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 01:31   Link #125
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Sae's reaction to the text message was also kinda out there, and there better be a good reason for the way she reacted to it, or it is just going to be too random.
From the little I've seen (both in-show and of official art), Sae seems generally disgusted with any and all sexually suggestive Yoshinoya displays. I'm guessing that was what was on the cell phone, given Yuno was confused, Hiro was shocked and Miyako was excited, which all also appear to be the standard reactions from those people (something that apparently does not make for good conversation). Perhaps Sae was visibly shaken because Yoshinoya was not actually there to shout at, thereby stifling her normal outlet for disgust.

Quote:
When she was onscreen, my attention was focused.
Same here, and it isn't the only thing of mine that gets focused.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 03:28   Link #126
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ ha! what are you trying to imply

well Yoshinoya sensei is definatly my favorite character so far...cosplay goddess
towards work she is rather slow but give her a position to pose for the art club...she can do it all day

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 04:26   Link #127
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ ha! what are you trying to imply

well Yoshinoya sensei is definatly my favorite character so far...cosplay goddess
towards work she is rather slow but give her a position to pose for the art club...she can do it all day
Who cares whether she works slow or not. If you have a teacher who enjoys cosplay so much and has quirky behavior that is fricking hilarious, it's instant win. Add to the fact that she's green haired just adds to the charm.

Episode 7 by the way

Spoiler:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 07:42   Link #128
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Just watched ep 1. I'm totally sold on this. The pacing, the mood, the aesthetics, the moe ... yeah.

Off topic: the circle things in the ED are awfully reminiscent of Oskar Fischinger's short abstract film "Kreise", from way back in 1933.
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 08:21   Link #129
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Did a little bit of mediating before embarking on the second episode of Ep02. There are still some misses, but the hits are starting to appear.

Random Thoughts on Ep02
---- ----
  • Yoshinoyo-sensei is win. I just about cracked when she flashed Hiro. The accompanying recounting by Hiro was also amusing.
  • Yoshinoyo doesn't really have a lot of screentime in this series thus far, so I can't really pin her as my favourite yet. For that position, it would have to be Miya. Her banter with Hiro in particular, is pretty wicked.
  • Hiro is cute, in an insecure sort of way.
  • Yuno is also cute, in that... dazed sort of way. For a main protagonist though... she doesn't really register on my radar. I have to remind myself sometimes that we are seeing things from her perspective.
  • Sae is... I don't really like Sae as a character that much.
In short, the series is starting to pick up for me.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-25, 09:14   Link #130
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
All right now that I've seen five episodes raw and two subbed, I'm going to say this much. So far I'd rather like this series. I'm not exactly sure why, but I do. I guess it's partially the feel of the series. Plus Miyako is awesome, she's my favorite of the girls so far. Some of the expressions on her face alone are worth seeing. Although I do like the other girls. It's just that Miyako stands out the most for me.
Old 2007-02-25, 09:55   Link #131
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

for skane,

Spoiler for sae:

So ya. Miyako is my favorite up to episode 7 though.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 14:01   Link #132
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ impz where is your summary for ep 7? >.<

seriously this series is tough to understand for a non japanese speaker ~ id say i understood about 10-20% on what was going on in ep 7 >.< buuu i fails...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 14:53   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I watched the first 4 raws and stopped as soon as the subs started, both because of the 300MB raw file size but also because I could tell I was missing a lot of linguistic humor that would require almost sentence by sentence relistening.... (cheers the subs on...)
Old 2007-02-25, 15:04   Link #134
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

About episode 2:

The episode left this ambiguous enough but, I think the reason why the "cursed yukata" did not affected Miyako (and even helped her) is because the Kitsune found an akin soul in Miyako.

But then again, I should not underestimate Miyako's stomach .
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 01:30   Link #135
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
And, to digress with what some people have said, I've found Hidamari Sketch, viewed in terms of direction, much less calmer than PPD. Strange angles and camera cuts fly abound a lot more in the former than in the latter. Episode 2 is a clear show of that.
Having just watched episode 2 I agree...PPD had its share of sudden camera cuts, but episode 2 of Hidamari Sketch seemed to be going for some kind of record. I could do without quite as many cuts, and with more of the characters looking like their normal selves--it seems like they were SD for more of the episode than they looked normal, and this particular style of SD just looks weird more than cute to me.

In spite of what I just said, I do like this so far though--it's just a fun slice of life type series and the cast, like PPD's, will probably get even better as they grow on me and we see more of their quirks. I know it's not fair to judge after just two episodes, but right now in the school-slice-of-life category I'd rate Hidamari Sketch as not quite as good as Azumanga, but better than Sensei no Ojikan. Definitely looking forward to more and glad the subs are coming out, since I'd never get more than 5% of this raw
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 01:38   Link #136
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

mood and atmosphere almost as much as any particular joke.... the humor is in the characterizations themselves...
Old 2007-02-26, 12:29   Link #137
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Spoiler for Episode 5 and Shinbo:
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 20:28   Link #138
Furudanuki

Quote:
Did a little bit of mediating before embarking on the second episode of Ep02. There are still some misses, but the hits are starting to appear.

Random Thoughts on Ep02
---- ----[list][*]Yoshinoyo-sensei is win. I just about cracked when she flashed Hiro. The accompanying recounting by Hiro was also amusing.
.[*]Yoshinoyo doesn't really have a lot of screentime in this series thus far, so I can't really pin her as my favourite yet. For that position, it would have to be Miya. Her banter with Hiro in particular, is pretty wicked.
Yep, gotta love Yoshinoyo-sensei! I can't help but think that she and Shirogane Miyabi (the art instructor in Mahoraba ~Heartful days~) might have been roommates back when they were art students themselves.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 00:35   Link #139
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@Kaio: that trend has been noticed (repeatedly by my wife) ... that the material in a lot of anime seems to be exceedingly focused on "girl groups". In AzuDa, they covered by having guys in the class occasionally be involved such that you could see that guys *were* in the world though none of the girls had a boyfriend (which they would lament occasionally). Here, although there are male shapes in the class --- its like they don't exist for the girls. The manga material and the anime are tending to over-cater to an audience which appears to want a "girl only" story.... which tends to further diverge expectations from reality.

I don't particularly want to see "all male" shows -- but it really isn't that hard to create a few male characters to add to the mix and show that male-female *friendships* can exist. I could go on a soapbox about the expectations crisis between males and females in Japan but thats a derail.

All that said, Hidamari Sketch is still gold and I'm anxious to see how the subtitles match up to my 'raw guesses' at dialog.
It's mainly the fact that it's hard to have male characters that can fit in with a show that's trying to have a cute theme.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 01:05   Link #140
Skane
Anime Snark

Well... for comedy involving a relatively equal distribution of male and female classmates, there is always "Today in Class 5-2c". 3 males and 5 females in the cast. Too bad it is only a 5-episode OVA.

Cheers.

Tags
comedy, moe, school life, seinen, shaft, slice of life