AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-06, 03:49   Link #41
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg4brainsuk View Post
If the actress who voices her doesnt get that bit spot on then im gonna go and force Bandai to recast her at gun point

Heh...actually Bandai doesn't do the casting. All they do is outsource to studios and the studios do the rest.

The ADR studio is who you're gonna have to put at gunpoint.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2007-02-06, 12:22   Link #42
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk Send a message via Skype™ to smeg4brainsuk
Fair enough. I know, i'll point a gun at all of them and something should happen ^^
Old 2007-02-06, 18:30   Link #43
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Ugh...double message so please delete this.

Thanks!
Lone wolf
Old 2007-02-06, 18:32   Link #44
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg4brainsuk View Post
Fair enough. I know, i'll point a gun at all of them and something should happen ^^

Yeah ...something will happen all right. lol....they call security and make the dub even worse just to spite fans.

Really the only problem is that Bandai doesn't have enough faith in this title as such the case with Mai Hime. So they usually focus their efforts on other potentials. Which is sad since their efforts were put into Eureka 7 and it didn't help them so much as far as sales went. They're currently fearing the same fate for MH and MO.

Perhaps if they get enough fan mail or even a measley petition, they would actually do something. What they want are civil constructive critiques. Irrational rants usually end up getting deleted or thrown in the trash if in the form of a paper document.

If you do decide to email them or write them a letter at the very least, address it to the one in charge of the US production, Taku Otsuka. He actually likes the series but the dub is out of his hands. If you can inform him what the problem is with the dub then he can at least nudge the ADR studio with *more* input. I remember Charles McCarter, the senior director of Bandai at the time before he was let go, mentioning that one of the few things that can make or break a dub was lack of data for characters. The ADR studio is given a script and that's that...improv time. Results can be disasterous and some dubs proved that...of course that's just the cherry on top besides the acting itself.

Anyhow, even if the dub is horrible, all one has to do is switch over to the japanese version anyway...that's what I love about hybrid DVDs.

So anyway, there is power in numbers....apparently many people are far too quiet about their complaints and not addressing them directly to the source. What I mean by that is that people are using forums to vent their frustrations instead of letting their voice be heard to the people in charge of the production. Here's your chance to change that.

--Lone Wolf (former Bandai employee who escaped the recent "restructuring" lol)
一匹狼
Old 2007-02-15, 23:02   Link #45
Morganchan
Gero?!

Public service announcement from a VA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinomi View Post
I might also have a slight advantage since very very very few of the other VA's at Blue Water are anime knowledgable. I believe I'm the only one who wil know of the original voices for Otome. It depends what they're looking for.

It'll still be a while, but you all are making me excited now !

Forgive me for jumping in the thread all of a sudden! Don't beat me up!

I'm a semi-newish VA for Blue Water myself (I did Yukino and Akane in HiME), and I've made sure to watch all of both HiME and Otome to get a feel for the show. I'm an anime nerd myself (though admittedly I prefer more obscure titles to uber-popular ones. Go Keroro Gunso!), and I've made it my goal to watch a show thoroughly before sticking my nose in the dubbing process.

Can't speak for the other actors, of course, but I felt I had to stand up and say I'm an anime fan, too! And to make this slightly more relevant to the thread, I'm reprising my HiME characters for Otome, though I'm unsure about everyone else. I'll make sure to do my best! I know it's frustrating when the roles don't match up (though Mamiko Noto has such a cute voice I can't do it justice in english XD)

My apologies for jumping in! ^^; I just felt like I had to say something. (also, good luck to Chinomi with getting cast! *pompom* the more anime-knowledgeable actors the better)
Old 2007-02-16, 00:47   Link #46
Asrialys

Hey, cool that you posted here. Good luck with My-Otome.
Old 2007-02-16, 05:02   Link #47
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganchan View Post

I'm a semi-newish VA for Blue Water myself (I did Yukino and Akane in HiME), and I've made sure to watch all of both HiME and Otome to get a feel for the show. I'm an anime nerd myself (though admittedly I prefer more obscure titles to uber-popular ones. Go Keroro Gunso!), and I've made it my goal to watch a show thoroughly before sticking my nose in the dubbing process.

Can't speak for the other actors, of course, but I felt I had to stand up and say I'm an anime fan, too! And to make this slightly more relevant to the thread, I'm reprising my HiME characters for Otome, though I'm unsure about everyone else. I'll make sure to do my best! I know it's frustrating when the roles don't match up (though Mamiko Noto has such a cute voice I can't do it justice in english XD)

My apologies for jumping in! ^^; I just felt like I had to say something. (also, good luck to Chinomi with getting cast! *pompom* the more anime-knowledgeable actors the better)
Oh, you did Yukino and Akane? Well, I like your voice of the former (though I do agree you don't do Mamiko Noto's original performance any justice) but I'm not really a fan of the latter. Ofcourse, I'm not really a fan of the HiME dub in general, and the mispronounciation of Aoi still has me P.O.ed. I mean, where the hell did this "Oh-Ee" come from? What the hell?
Old 2007-02-16, 17:22   Link #48
Asrialys

Well, it might have sounded like someone saying "Owie." lol But that reason is a bit of a stretch.
Old 2007-02-16, 18:32   Link #49
Morganchan
Gero?!

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird, too! I agree with Asrialys; it might have come off as "owie" to some people, especially anyone generally unfamiliar with anime.

We had both a written and aural pronounciation guide, so somewhere along the way the decision was made that "oh-ee" might be more understandable by the masses. There's probably some reason for it, but I have no idea why!
Old 2007-02-16, 18:33   Link #50
Fukiri
Lazy ass

Send a message via MSN to Fukiri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganchan View Post

Ahah! Cool! Well I'm not a fan of the english dub either but my opinion since the beginning was that Akane's, Sakomizu's and Mikoto's voices were the best. So I'm pleased to talk to one of the best on my list XD. You've a great voice and you show emotion that, in my opinion lacks in most of the others VAs. I really hope you continue dubbing animes, you have the talent to that. ^_^
Old 2007-02-17, 20:13   Link #51
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

I think this thread should be stickied. A licensing is a significant event, after all.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2007-03-23, 14:45   Link #52
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

WHY does bandai suddenly feel the urge to license EVERYTHING within a five million mile ratius of their company now? How do these people find the non mainstream stuff anyway?
Old 2007-03-23, 21:32   Link #53
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura View Post
WHY does bandai suddenly feel the urge to license EVERYTHING within a five million mile ratius of their company now? How do these people find the non mainstream stuff anyway?
Huh? Mai-Otome is pretty mainstream...
Old 2007-03-23, 23:51   Link #54
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Exactly how does MO classify or not classify as mainstream?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2007-03-24, 00:50   Link #55
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
I interpreted Yazakura's "mainstream" as something that's very popular. Although I'm starting to feel I've misinterpreted the question...
Old 2007-03-24, 13:55   Link #56
Ilpalazzo

they should have other voice actor and actress like Chris Patton, Monica Rial, Luci Christian,Vic Mignogna, Kira Vincent-Davis they have better voices.
Old 2007-03-26, 07:46   Link #57
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I interpreted Yazakura's "mainstream" as something that's very popular. Although I'm starting to feel I've misinterpreted the question...
My-HiME and My-Otome aren't mainstream, they're niche.
Old 2007-03-26, 18:39   Link #58
Codine

My-Hime is more mainstreak IMO.
Old 2007-03-27, 22:23   Link #59
Morganchan
Gero?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
I think "mainstream" in the sense that it seems to be rather well-known among fansub-watching anime fans, as opposed to some older, obscure show with one group subbing it or something.

So you could consider it pretty mainstream for a fansub, since a lot of people who regularly download subs have probably watched it. Then again, if we're talking "mainstream" compared to everything else (like big licensed properties, such as Bleach or Naruto), then perhaps not XD

Currently Watching: Hayate no Gotoku, Hidamari Sketch, Higurashi 2, Lucky Star, Ookiku Furikabutte, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Morganchan @ deviantArt
Old 2007-03-27, 22:36   Link #60
dojikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura View Post

Perhaps Sunrise is on good terms with Bandai and vice versa.
Closed Thread