AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-24, 19:02   Link #421
katsumi
ghostly member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneenerd View Post
I'm not digging the whole HERVE and KATE dating thing. What kind of big sister sets her little high schooler sibling up with a full grown man anyway? It's kind of a story killer, if you ask me. Throughout the series, my favorite thing about the show is the realism within it's dialogue and inter-character relationships, especially for a show so overthetop and supernatural. But the possibility of a pedo-Herve hooking up with one of our barely nubile heroines... bahh... kinda lame!

And speaking about the whole flying/jumping really high thing... we've only seen it used, what, like twice? First time, everyone was shocked and like "Whoa how the eff did you do that?!" The second time, I really can't remember when and who, but everybody acted like it wasn't no thang. Is there any explanation as to WHY they can do this, and if all the girls just KNOW how to do it?
Hmmm, as far as I remember when Kate used the flying/jumping ability in ep 13, Claire was like "How did you do that?". Well, she didn't say it, but there was a noise like sucking in breath when you're surprised and she said "kate?". For me it was pretty clear that she was surprised at least to see this. Kate herself made a similiar noise and then we see her remember the incident when Rachel jumped so high for the first time. I don't think they acted like it wasn't important or they were used to it. But the incident with Rose and Rachel put everything else aside IMO.

As to Why neither we nor the girls haven't yet been given an answer, but I guess that will eventually come to an explanation even if slowly.

I wouldn't mind the Kate/Herve thing as being unrealistic. I guess, it depends on the age differences. If he's only a few (let's say up to 5) years older than Kate and she's like 17,18, I'd see no problem. Of course, I'm no American and if you're not having a relationship with someone under 15 (I think) while being older yourself it's no problem (legally) where I come from.

EDIT: I don't want to start a discussion about legally allowed relationships, because I know that age limitation differ from country to country. And from culture to culture.
I just want to point out that dating someone maybe only 3 years older than yourself as 17-year-old girl shouldn't be that unrealistic. Course, I ignore how old Kate and Herve are each supposed to be.
katsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 21:20   Link #422
moneenerd

Send a message via MSN to moneenerd
Thumbs down

Well, when I look at the way Herve is drawn compared to how the other girls are animated, and how he interacts quite maturely with those around him, I see him being the same age (give or take a year or two) as Emilio, the businessman type, who is marrying Kate's OLDER sister. To me, Herve looks between 22 and 27. Maybe.

But what really bothers me is that Kate's older sister 100% encourages it. Weither this was set in New York, or somewhere out East, I can't see any over-protective older sister pushing their straight-A, goody-two-shoes high schooler sibling into dating ANY guy over 19. Especially not some stranger. And you can't say "Well, Kate's sister figures he's a safe bet since he's friends with Emilio" because who would buy that their successful business dude boyfriend hangs out with minors?

I'm definately being too picky at this point, but that's because from episode 1 to 11, the series has been absolutely flawless. The last 2 episodes have been kind of weak, is all. I can't really pinpoint why. I think it's becoming very predictible, maybe? I also find that it's becoming way too over-dramatic, like the scene where Amanda drags Rachel out to hear her confess her love to Rachel's girlfriend. I want RED GARDEN, not the effin' O.C. I mean, yeah I care about what's happening to Rachel, and I think these kinds of events can help with some good character development, but jeez... ease off with the whos-sleeping-with-who bullshit. Turn down the suck knob.
moneenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 21:23   Link #423
moneenerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Hmmm, as far as I remember when Kate used the flying/jumping ability in ep 13, Claire was like "How did you do that?". Well, she didn't say it, but there was a noise like sucking in breath when you're surprised and she said "kate?". For me it was pretty clear that she was surprised at least to see this. Kate herself made a similiar noise and then we see her remember the incident when Rachel jumped so high for the first time. I don't think they acted like it wasn't important or they were used to it. But the incident with Rose and Rachel put everything else aside IMO.
OOPS! I thought it was done a second time BEFORE the 13th episode... Maybe it was just a really badly drawn out high kick. haha!
Old 2007-01-24, 21:39   Link #424
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Saw episode 15.

Wow. Creepy Herve is CREEEEEEEEPY.

A pretty dramatic episode, to say the least. Although, I was not satisfied with some of the poorly drawn scenes and clunky stop-motion animation, there was some really good emotional stuff in there, especially toward the end.

Herve is no longer quite right in his head and, damn me, if he isn't completely coo-coo.

Next episode should finally feature some kick-ass action. At least, the preview promises something really exciting.

What I do hope for is seeing less scenes that have zero motion everywhere on the screen except for the lips. Yeah, I get it, this isn't exactly Noein. Red Garden's strength is in the pretty illustrations and the convoluted story, not crazy-ass animation. But, come on, the constant stills are insulting.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 03:03   Link #425
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneenerd View Post

And speaking about the whole flying/jumping really high thing... we've only seen it used, what, like twice? First time, everyone was shocked and like "Whoa how the eff did you do that?!" The second time, I really can't remember when and who, but everybody acted like it wasn't no thang. Is there any explanation as to WHY they can do this, and if all the girls just KNOW how to do it?
Well yes there is an explanation for why can they do it. They're in supernatural bodies. They've already seen that they can take punishment that would hospitalise a human being and their injuries fade away entirely by the next morning, in no more than an hour I think. When one of them levels up and demonstrates a new power they may be startled for a moment but given what they can already do, in the end it's just another weapon. They aren't going to keep going "gee-whiz" over tricks they've already seen.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 08:30   Link #426
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
But what really bothers me is that Kate's older sister 100% encourages it. Weither this was set in New York, or somewhere out East, I can't see any over-protective older sister pushing their straight-A, goody-two-shoes high schooler sibling into dating ANY guy over 19.
Who is to say that Kate's sister is that over-protective? Of course, this affair seems a bit forced but still it is better that way than Herve hitting on Kate after they meet by chance in the street or something. If you want to complain about realism how about the total incompetence of the police in this series?

Quote:
Well, when I look at the way Herve is drawn compared to how the other girls are animated, and how he interacts quite maturely with those around him
Really? He has had quarrels with his granfather, the doctors, plays childish tricks with Lise, he doesn't seem that mature to me.

And the series is far from predictable for me, I am at a loss what Herve might do next, Lula constantly surprises me too. That teacher being Lula's boss was not predictable at all.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 13:53   Link #427
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Who is to say that Kate's sister is that over-protective? Of course, this affair seems a bit forced but still it is better that way than Herve hitting on Kate after they meet by chance in the street or something. If you want to complain about realism how about the total incompetence of the police in this series?

Really? He has had quarrels with his granfather, the doctors, plays childish tricks with Lise, he doesn't seem that mature to me.

And the series is far from predictable for me, I am at a loss what Herve might do next, Lula constantly surprises me too. That teacher being Lula's boss was not predictable at all.
Though i think Herve is just freaking creepy to begin with. I think the way he carries him self makes him seem like mid to late 20s. This is not justification but maybe Kates sister thought that this would be a good experience for Kate given how shy she is. I mean she has zero experience with the opposite sex

BTW did anyone else notice that god awful outfit Herve was wearing in episode 13, when he and kate went to coney island? He needs to never wear that again as a matter a fact he needs to fire them into the sun.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:13   Link #428
moneenerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post

Most older siblings are over protective, is what I'm saying. haha. I know so. I AM one. As for the incompetence of the police... TOTALLY realistic.

I HATED the fact that some random teacher who just pops up in an episode is Lula's boss, as if we were supposed to be like "Whoa! Plot twist!" Soon as some random ass teacher shows up, you KNEW somehting was up. If they really wanted to surprise us, they wouldve had this lady in the series from day one. Just seemed like something they threw in there to keep the episode from being totally boring, since Herve's fuckin outfit killed the whole 20minutes.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:50   Link #429
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Most older siblings are over protective, is what I'm saying
I am not denying this but it doesn't mean Kate's sister is necessarily such a person. And the police are not merely incomptent, they follow the right trail then stop for some reason - they saw that Kate was not telling the whole truth, yet they did not press her more in the interrogation, no one ever seems to see the beast men and so on.

And hating the surprise is not exactly the same as the series being predictable, you know.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 16:26   Link #430
moneenerd

well it wasnt really a SURPRISE because it was just some random i didnt have time to even CARE about.
Old 2007-01-30, 16:42   Link #431
Guido

Better late than never, though I will have to wait more time for someone to blog episode 14 since I only saw the RAW.

There are lots of reasons why this episode makes me happy.

Spoiler:

Call me paranoid.
Spoiler:

Some last things to conclude. What did Emilio and Hervé talked about?
Spoiler:

How old are Anna and Mireille?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 01:31   Link #432
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Better late than never, though I will have to wait more time for someone to blog episode 14 since I only saw the RAW.

There are lots of reasons why this episode makes me happy.

Spoiler:

Call me paranoid.
Spoiler:

Some last things to conclude. What did Emilio and Hervé talked about?
Spoiler:

How old are Anna and Mireille?
hahaha, i actually continued to pick up Red Garden recently, after a slump in the chinese subs that resulted in the lack of Red garden. However, they finally went back into order and I am doing the summary as well as my thoughts for episode 14. The summary for episode 14 will be up in a few hours time.

Episode 15 is actually on the works once i have some time on friday or saturday to write it up.

So for the few who enjoyed my summaries and thoughts, it will be up soon.

*i do have quite a few thoughts that i need to write it down and post it later*

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 08:00   Link #433
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
OH SHI-

This series has just decided to kick some major butt outta nowhere.

Spoiler for episode 16:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 08:03   Link #434
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

And episode 14's summary and thoughts is up.

On my thoughts on episode 14...

Spoiler:

Click the signature!
Old 2007-01-31, 13:35   Link #435
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
OH SHI-

This series has just decided to kick some major butt outta nowhere.

Spoiler for episode 16:
I agree. Ep. 16 is totally amazing.

Spoiler for ep16:
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 14:19   Link #436
moneenerd

GODDAMMIT! Ive only seen up to 13. My girlfriend and i are going insane!
Old 2007-01-31, 14:58   Link #437
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
And episode 14's summary and thoughts is up.

On my thoughts on episode 14...

Spoiler:
Mister, you are indeed a life saver. Now I can know what really happened.
Old 2007-02-02, 20:50   Link #438
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Mister, you are indeed a life saver. Now I can know what really happened.
And i finally caught up less one episode of Red garden in episode 15. This episode really makes me feel a little shattered, especially with some of the incidents happening.

Episode 15 summary + thoughts is up.

Now, where can I get episode 16...*grumbles*

Click the signature!
Old 2007-02-03, 17:06   Link #439
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
And i finally caught up less one episode of Red garden in episode 15. This episode really makes me feel a little shattered, especially with some of the incidents happening.

Episode 15 summary + thoughts is up.

Now, where can I get episode 16...*grumbles*
The ominous tragedies spilt in this episode were too unbearable for me to watch simply because why come such nice people, who on simple look have life all the way go, suddenly are afflicted with a terrible end that breaks one's heart.
Spoiler:

We can now be certain that the complicity of the characters has made the storyline to make advancing leaps.

And is just depressing for the other girls as well.
Spoiler:

My best favorite episode so far; the storm is coming and the first clash between rival clans is about to deal the first bigger death blow.

It's terrible what Hervé has proposed to do in order to dispel his spite.
Spoiler:

To Impz,
Spoiler for Why Hervé is providing clues to the NYPD?:
Old 2007-02-03, 20:42   Link #440
Sakurai

This series is prolly one of the best mystery-horrors out there.
Sakurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural