AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2003-12-19, 13:15   Link #1
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
What would you change or add to BT?

As it stands,some people have only a few problems with BT,personally i barely ever have any.But one thing i would like added into BT,would be a skins option.BitTorrent is already one of the most useful download program out there,and im sure that there would be a crap load of people willing to create skins for it.Plus all BT client interfaces are pretty generic and boring.

So what would you like to be changed or added?
Old 2003-12-19, 15:34   Link #2
Mcgreag
Gunnm junkie

Skins seems like a waste of computer resources to me, bittorrent uses way too much ram as it is without adding stuff like that. But if it were optional then sure why not.

If there were anything I would want from a new bittorrent then it be for it to be a lot more efficient. The reason I don't seed much has nothing to do with bandwidth, I have enought to spare but because it hogs my computer. 30mb ram direct and several hundread mb indirect thru diskcache, upto 5% cpu usage on a Athlon XP 2800+ etc. Then I compare this to how much resources my ftp server use it feels ridiculous.
Mcgreag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 16:16   Link #3
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

yep, bittorrent is just a download window, i don't really stare at it long enough to care for its appearance, skin-wise. and i like it just the way it is.
jir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 17:14   Link #4
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Xeno:.
So what would you like to be changed or added?
An option to be able to download and upload at a speed 10 times more than your physical bandwidth allows.

Skins? I couldn't care less. I use btdownloadcurses.py or btlaunchmanycurses.py 98% of the time nowadays.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 20:13   Link #5
ZeroKun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
An option to be able to download and upload at a speed 10 times more than your physical bandwidth allows.
Hahaha, Youre funny. Usually that involves hacking your modem (has been dont for alot of cable modems), but the problem is youll get disconnected in no time by your isp and probably lose your service and be in deep pooh.
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 20:21   Link #6
cf18
Mecha Pilot

May be make seeding multiple files easier. Say a seeder want to seed a lot of files, but can only seed 4 at a time. The client can poll the tracker once per hour, and seed those with the least amount of seed reported by the tracker.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 17:52   Link #7
Ulayo

Send a message via ICQ to Ulayo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
May be make seeding multiple files easier. Say a seeder want to seed a lot of files, but can only seed 4 at a time. The client can poll the tracker once per hour, and seed those with the least amount of seed reported by the tracker.
That's already possible with Azureus, which btw is a lot better than the original BT client.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
Ulayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 03:41   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The number 1 most useful addition to a BitTorrent client:

Make it possible to download only selected files from a batch torrent.

There is no feature I see people asking for as often. Usually, they ask for it in the form of, "How can I download only one file in a batch torrent?" Then we have to tell them that they can't do it. I would like to be able to give them a positive answer to the question. Not to mention there are times I would like to be able to do it myself. Incidently someone (I forget who) performed an experiment to prove that this is possible, but a fully functional client was never created.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 04:57   Link #9
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
But one thing i would like added into BT,would be a skins option.

and

Are both possible but are decided on a client by client basis, not the protocol.

IIRC, Azureus can download individual files in a torrent (since it lets you see down to the block level what you've recieved, I imagine only requesting blocks for a certain file wouldn't be terribly difficult.)

And skinning is something that'd have to be handled by the program itself, since there are multiple BT clients you'd have to hope one adds the ability.

What I want in a BT client is a natively compiled non-java/non-python client that runs fast and efficiently, with all the little features in Azureus.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 01:58   Link #10
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
I would like to have some sort of equalizer-setting to move the probability for a peace request in a specific area of the torrent.
As it is now the client just selects a piece randomly, but I would like to be able to set it for example this way that the probability to select a piece from the beginning is ten times higher than selecting another piece...
This could also be used to finished specific files out of a batch torrent earlier.
Which would slow down the spread of the torrented files. Bad idea.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 01:59   Link #11
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Java is as good as C++.
You're kidding, right? Due to the whole nature of the fantabulous multi-platform Java, a decently coded C++ client will always beat out a decently coded Java client.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 06:41   Link #12
Mcgreag
Gunnm junkie

Java is very a nice language to program in and after it's been started it often runs equal fast as a c program at least for non gui related stuff. BUT all java programs has a large initial footprint. Even if it's just 10 lines of code it will still take 20+mb ram and take several secs to start, but again if it's a huge program it will only take the same extra 20mb and the same extra secs to start. So java works best for larger programs that once started are keept running for as long as possible. It would not be a good program to write a bittorrent client in if you ask me.
Mcgreag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 07:44   Link #13
Forse
r00t for life

there is already java BT http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

It has a lot of features and it's just a bit slower on startup then normal client...you should check it out. I myself still use Shadow in console and I see no reason to switch
Old 2003-12-22, 08:33   Link #14
u&t

I really don't understand where peoples performance problems comes from. For me a > 6 Gb dl takes like 1.5 % cpu and ~ 15 mb ram.

If someone came up with a C++ client I wouldn't use it. To trade in that extra performance for the risk of being rooted is not worth it.

People have been working on C++ and C libraries for bittorrent but it seems like those projects are dead. My guess is the ppl working on those projects decided it wasn't worth the effort. A good thing with python is that development is efficient (hard to judge but I would say that doing something in python takes about 20 % of the time doing the same thing in java) and seeing all the work that has been going into bt and all the work currently being done the c++ people just gave up.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 12:08   Link #15
rahly
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
I really don't understand where peoples performance problems comes from. For me a > 6 Gb dl takes like 1.5 % cpu and ~ 15 mb ram.

If someone came up with a C++ client I wouldn't use it. To trade in that extra performance for the risk of being rooted is not worth it.

People have been working on C++ and C libraries for bittorrent but it seems like those projects are dead. My guess is the ppl working on those projects decided it wasn't worth the effort. A good thing with python is that development is efficient (hard to judge but I would say that doing something in python takes about 20 % of the time doing the same thing in java) and seeing all the work that has been going into bt and all the work currently being done the c++ people just gave up.
The only problem with C++ and "rooting" (although you can't root on your windows box, i think its called "admining" :-D ) is only possible if you use pchars or pointer to a buffer of data, maybe a "broken" <string> library, now C... i could see cuz you have to use pchars for EVERYTHING just about. But there are more compiled languages to write a client in than JUST C++/C, like VB or Delphi, which doesn't suffer from those annoying buffer overflows.

With that asside, i don't even USE the windows client anymore, I run it with curses on my linux box which takes hardly any memory or CPU and the only time i notice it, is when i'm running a cpu intensive program like slocate. The only fix i would like (which if i wasn't lazy, i'd fix myself) is that annoying bug where if the screen fills up with messages, the download goes crazy, but thats fixed by a simple restart
rahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 12:51   Link #16
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahly
The only fix i would like (which if i wasn't lazy, i'd fix myself) is that annoying bug where if the screen fills up with messages, the download goes crazy, but thats fixed by a simple restart
Running the curses client most of the time myself. The bug you're talking about was fixed in the 3.3 release. 3.3 did some bad stuff though so use the latest shadows client if you're going to upgrade.
Old 2003-12-22, 20:08   Link #17
rahly
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The number 1 most useful addition to a BitTorrent client:
Not a bad Idea, but then that would depend on how a torrent file sections parts off, sorry i don't know the exact details, but I think that sections can overlap files, which means, in order to get a good hash download, you HAVE to get a part of another file. I donno, it would kinda suck if you wanted one of the torrent files, but everyone only has this other file

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
Running the curses client most of the time myself. The bug you're talking about was fixed in the 3.3 release. 3.3 did some bad stuff though so use the latest shadows client if you're going to upgrade.
yeah, i'll stay with 3.2 myself, the bug itself, really doesn't happen much, only if i get on something where i can't connect to the tracker and i leave it up, or a ton of invalid hashed downloads. Its not a "show stopper" in my opinion. My real reason for the post was to say compiled languages aren't bad. Its just that C/C++ allows you to do bad stuff by default, I always thought a language should be "safe" by default, and only allow you to do unsafe by bypassing the standards. That way the programmer has to do EXTRA work to make it unsafe, rather than EXTRA work to make it safe. This is how most interpreted languages are, like java, python, or perl. This is why people "feel" safer running these types of programs.

In perl, you just sysread($socket, $buffer, 4096); this reads 4096 bytes off of socket into the $buffer variable, the good thing about this is that if there isn't 4096 bytes in $buffer, the language allocates space for it. In C, you would do a read(fd, buffer, 4096), the problem with this is, if buffer doesn't have 4096 bytes in it, then the system writes into memory outside of the allocated space, which could be program space, depending on how buffer was allocated. Now, i'm not 100% sure about VB, but i think it does something similar to what the compiled languages are, as it is heavily dependant on runtime libraries, so its ALMOST as similar as an interpreted language. Now delphi is pretty safe as long as you don't directly call the windows API functions and pass references from the strings. The fact that you CAN do it is kinda kewl, but a programmer would have to do extra work to even get it to work. ok.. enough of my rambling :-D
rahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 06:13   Link #18
u&t

Well you're right. Just a few random points:
There are some quite serious built in security issues with interpreted languages. Inexperienced programmers tend to use eval statements in lots of stupid ways that can totally open up your system. Good thing is those problems are easy to find and fix.
Wouldn't call Java interpreted. The runtime actually generates machine code and compiling java files is sloooow.
Perl and python are also heavily dependent on core c liraries and has heaps of built in stuff written in c. I guess VB goes into the same group as python and perl.
Old 2003-12-25, 00:39   Link #19
Zeraphm

Have an option in the tracker to force ppl to upload or they dont get anything at all. Nothing for b4stards that dont share. Also maybe for huge uploaders they get priority in downloading. I'm sure you've all seen where there are 20-30 seeders, 200+ downloaders and you have been getting 0K for the last 2 hours. It kind of pisses me off that with all those ppl they dont want to share. Right now I'm getting Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and my download to upload ratio is like 1:3. Upload is 3. And I STILL dont have the whole thing.

But yeah, thats my suggestion
Zeraphm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 00:59   Link #20
Forse
r00t for life

Actually a VERY good idea, but hard to implement since tracker would need to store HUGE ammount of data and I mean really huge...good example is Naruto.