AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-19, 21:02   Link #21
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Top speed, regular speed, acceleration, and maneuverability are all very different. The F-15C eagle can reach a top speed of mach 2.5, but that's completely empty (no bombs, fuel tanks) and on full afterburner. Ditto with Mig-25. Usually, those fighters rarely if ever got to see their top speeds. However, the F/A-22 Raptor can go supercruise (supersonic the whole mission) without afterburner, and has unrivalled maneuverability.

This said, Wing's and SEED/Destiny's "super" suits take the cake in these areas, since that's essentially what they're designed on. Epyon and Justice are basically the same sort of melee monsters so they need very fast speed to get in there, while Freedom (and SF) and Wing Zero are just overall amazing suits (but can fail if their pilots half-ass it).
Old 2006-07-19, 22:03   Link #22
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I'm reminded of the day I calculated the average/maximum speed of the Freedom gundam. That was a good day, the corpses of catgirls lay strewn about and the tears of a thousand moe~ fans covered the ground...

It twas a truely great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Fuun-saiki + whichever Mobile Fighter that's riding it = fastest.

To escape the Earth's gravity and leave the atmosphere, you need to be mach 24 or something.

God and Master themselves are fast gundams, for combat speed.
One needs to travel at a speed of roughly 7.5km/s (mach 25.4) to maintain orbit, the speed needed to achieve that orbit is 11.2km/s (mach ~36).
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 22:20   Link #23
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I'm reminded of the day I calculated the average/maximum speed of the Freedom gundam. That was a good day, the corpses of catgirls lay strewn about and the tears of a thousand moe~ fans covered the ground...
Classic Mr_Loose-Leaf, classic...A joyful read that 'twas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
Alpha Azieru is also one tough sonuvabeetch.
Awesome MA no doubt, but I don't remember it being all that fast in-terms of pure speed...

How about the ZEPHYRANTHES in "Full Vernian" from 0083??...That $hit has some dope combat speed...Anaheim was on point with that $hit... You'd think the DENDROBIUM in compact mode is faster but I don't think so...

--------------------
edit : I retract that statement I just looked at the AA right quick on CCA...Jesus I'm so wrong....That thing is blazing...Thruster output of more than 2 million kilos...Then think about the weapons on that mofo, sheeesh...
Old 2006-07-19, 23:05   Link #24
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

the GP01fb had around 240,000kgf of thrust. While its not a true top-speed runner as some of the MA and MS ive mentioned, it should be pretty good in combat speed, its amount of verniers all over the body and relatively large boosters will give even some Zeta-era MSes a run for its money.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 23:17   Link #25
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
nce we are talking about speed rather than acceleration, its rather hard to compare MSes that way. But I can take a wild guess at which are the fastest:

V2 - (WoL), being able to pull 20Gs for more than a few seconds means you can reach a higher top speed...

Tallgeese - raw thrust, an MS without significantly-sized wings can maintain flight

But I trully believe...

...that the fastest MSes...

...are the Ex-S, S-Booster and the Plan 303E. These guys have MILLIONS of kgf of raw thrust. each of their main thruster has 267,000 kgf of thrust (thats more than most UC suits already, and 3x as much as Wing Zero's thrust)... Imagine, Ex-S has 4 of them, I think the S-booster has 8, Lord knows how many 303E has. I believe Z+ Hummingbird uses the same boosters.

-------------------

as for combat speed. dunno what that really means. Is that supposed to mean the same as agility/maneuverability? If so, thats a whole different league, with V2 still there (being the best of them all), most AU MSes, The-O, Nu and Saz, and other stuff that is mentioned and debated far too many times here anyway...

I didnt put G-Gundam MSes and turn-A MSes in here.
After I think about it, the Plan 303E IS FAST, if they take out the mega cannon strapped on it first. Z Plus C1 Hummingbirds are one crazy cases too, since they got 4 thruster units (each having 2), and the only thing they have over the C1s is the S's BSG, in addition to their own BSG.

...in which the only real weight difference in because of the thrusters...

Oh lawd they're crazy.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 03:02   Link #26
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
One needs to travel at a speed of roughly 7.5km/s (mach 25.4) to maintain orbit, the speed needed to achieve that orbit is 11.2km/s (mach ~36).
I see, I've always thought orbiting speed = speed needed to escape.

Since Fuunsaiki can take its rider straight out the Earth's atmosphere, it has to be travelling at least mach 36. I don't think any other mech can reach this speed.

But since people usually don't acknowledge anything from G Gundam, I would say the fastest MS would be V2.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 04:39   Link #27
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:

Since Fuunsaiki can take its rider straight out the Earth's atmosphere, it has to be travelling at least mach 36. I don't think any other mech can reach this speed.
I remember the bell looking gundam coming out from the Earth to space (and a couple of other ones as well).

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 04:43   Link #28
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I don't really remember who are the ones who can come straight out of Earth, but apparently, Nether Gundam, the mass produced windmill-like Gundams from Neo Holland can also do that. Their windmill modes are like rockets lol

But I'm sure those Gundams are not as fast compared to God or Master.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 07:39   Link #29
nightbringer360

What about the Crossbone Gundams? Remember that they would have insane speed, considering they needed a special thruster system to fight Jovian gravity, which is many times stronger than Earth gravity.

I read somewhere that the Crossbones are only second to the V2 in acceleration/speed.
Old 2006-07-20, 08:27   Link #30
kct
Walk dat crank yo

More like 3rd. The [Bst] S Gundam variants got 2nd, but they do not even have legs in the first place.
Old 2006-07-20, 11:21   Link #31
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but Stargazer has the potential to have a blindingly fast cruise speed as well.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 11:49   Link #32
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Top speed, regular speed, acceleration, and maneuverability are all very different. The F-15C eagle can reach a top speed of mach 2.5, but that's completely empty (no bombs, fuel tanks) and on full afterburner. Ditto with Mig-25.
Actually, both the -25 and -31 can reach mach 3 with an interception loadout, it'll just render the engines unusable very, very quickly.

Quote:
Usually, those fighters rarely if ever got to see their top speeds. However, the F/A-22 Raptor can go supercruise (supersonic the whole mission) without afterburner, and has unrivalled maneuverability.
Actually, since the F-22A (it's not F/A-22, they renamed it. Again.) doesn't have 3D thrust vectoring, only vertical thrust vectoring, it's outmaneuvered by the latest Russian designs. No slouch, but it simply isn't designed to outmaneuver 3D thrust vectoring planes in a dogfight, since it isn't in its designated mission profile (long-range interception and engagement).

Quote:
This said, Wing's and SEED/Destiny's "super" suits take the cake in these areas, since that's essentially what they're designed on.
They don't supercruise, they literally blast away with powerful thrusts. Nothing at all like a modern fighter jet.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 20:48   Link #33
4Tran

There's two main ways of looking at the issue of "fast": speed and acceleration. Speed is a fairly useful measurement if we are mostly concerned with atmospheric flight. But it's important to remember that it's highly dependent on the altitude of the measurement (due to air resistance), and that it becomes more meaningless the further one gets away from earth. Acceleration, on the other hand, is always a good indicator of "fast", and it is rather more important in space than it would be in the atmosphere.

Setting the FC mobile fighters aside, V2, at 20g would seem to have the fastest acceleration. Strangely enough, this figure is not well represented at all in Victory its acceleration does not seem significantly greater than its contemporaries who generally have a stated acceleration of 4g or so. Freedom hasn't been given any official acceleration statistic, but it has performed feats which should require an acceleration of anywhere between 10-20g to accomplish. It's also capable of breaking the sound barrier near ground level.

Quote:
This said, Wing's and SEED/Destiny's "super" suits take the cake in these areas, since that's essentially what they're designed on. Epyon and Justice are basically the same sort of melee monsters so they need very fast speed to get in there, while Freedom (and SF) and Wing Zero are just overall amazing suits (but can fail if their pilots half-ass it).
While it's not too much of a stretch to say that Destiny's better mobile suits have a similar performance envelop compared to Freedom (indeed, Destiny itself might well outperform it significantly), the case is a little less clear cut for the Wing mobile suits. On a cursory watch, the Wing units seem to have incredible performance, but occasionally, they are far less impressive. For example, Wing Gundam seemed to be unable to keep itself airborne with the additional weight of Zech's Leo, and all of the implications that this brings up.

Quote:

It twas a truely great day!
The threat of catgirl overpopulation is one not to take lightly. Unchecked, it threatens to unleash an ecological catastrophe unheralded in human history. Mr_Paper, thank you for your hard work in combating this menace. Your civic-mindedness is truly to be commended.

Quote:
While achieving orbit is an extremely impressive accomplishment, the speeds reached in doing so are quite a bit less relevant. Theoretically speaking, any vehicle with greater than 1g of vertical acceleration should be able to do the same thing given sufficient fuel and propellant. The really hard part is building a vehicle/fuel combo that can achieve the 60MJ per kilogram of mass required to send it into orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbringer
What about the Crossbone Gundams? Remember that they would have insane speed, considering they needed a special thruster system to fight Jovian gravity, which is many times stronger than Earth gravity.
I don't know anything about the Crossbone Gundams, but since gravity is an inverse function of the distance to a planet's center, it's important to note at what altitude they from the surface. In addition, Jupiter's gravity is only 2.38gee, so it's possible for them to perform well in that environment, and still have lesser acceleration than some of the Victory mobile suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
They don't supercruise, they literally blast away with powerful thrusts. Nothing at all like a modern fighter jet.
Quite right. Mobile suits generally have the aerodynamics of your below-average brick. Brute (thruster) force is the only thing that can keep them in the air.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2006-07-20 at 22:20. Reason: Typos annoy me.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 21:41   Link #34
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

all this tech talk x_x information overload

if I recall from...GS or GS: D...can't remember which...Freedom and Justice were pretty much piggy backing on a shuttle into space though I THINK Freedom was barely able to catch up to the shuttle before it hit orbit

that reminds me...anyone remember SWAT Cats? :P there jet, when modified in one episode...was able to go into outer space
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 21:54   Link #35
shaolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz
all this tech talk x_x information overload

if I recall from...GS or GS: D...can't remember which...Freedom and Justice were pretty much piggy backing on a shuttle into space though I THINK Freedom was barely able to catch up to the shuttle before it hit orbit
Yes, I remember that in GS.

Quote:
That reminds me...anyone remember SWAT Cats? :P there jet, when modified in one episode...was able to go into outer space
SWAT Cats was cool.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 22:04   Link #36
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

I think the Strike Freedom and Destiny are the fastes. The Strike Freedom killed 25 units and like 2-5(I can't remember) space ships in under two minutes. Thats really Fuckin fast.
"There's one more thing required to attain total peace: a strong heart that can empathize with people! Like yours... You're too pure and kind, but I guess that's what gives you the right to live. I'm going to live right to the bitter end! I'll live the hard life of a warrior! 'Till we meet again, Heero!"

-Zechs "Lightning Count" Marquis
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 00:49   Link #37
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Greatness
I think the Strike Freedom and Destiny are the fastes. The Strike Freedom killed 25 units and like 2-5(I can't remember) space ships in under two minutes. Thats really Fuckin fast.
...it pretty much DRAGOOWN'D everyone in that single episode.
Old 2006-07-21, 01:33   Link #38
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

My vote would have to go with the basic Victory 2 as well...I mean...in a general aspect of putting all these MS/MA together and have them race in a straight line...x_x
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 01:36   Link #39
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct
...it pretty much DRAGOOWN'D everyone in that single episode.
True, but he was also flying around dodging and cutting things up at lightning speed! The Destiny and Freedom's are the only 2 gundams I have ever seen move like that.
"There's one more thing required to attain total peace: a strong heart that can empathize with people! Like yours... You're too pure and kind, but I guess that's what gives you the right to live. I'm going to live right to the bitter end! I'll live the hard life of a warrior! 'Till we meet again, Heero!"

-Zechs "Lightning Count" Marquis
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:57   Link #40
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Greatness
True, but he was also flying around dodging and cutting things up at lightning speed! The Destiny and Freedom's are the only 2 gundams I have ever seen move like that.
It only looked like that because all the other grunts and ships were slower compared to them.
I'd say V2 is still faster.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote