AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2006-07-21, 09:38   Link #21
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
People like stories where the main character succeeds against everything thrown at him/her. It's the appeal of rooting for the underdog.
lol but the problem is that most of the times the main chara dnt even want a girl friend but is forced to go into multiple relationships...its like they sit around and suddenly 10 girls pop up in front of them confessing but he ends up actually detesting it instead of being greatful -.- besides how are they the underdog if they dnt even have a rival to challange...kinda annoys me when they are being ungreatful and making the female chara suffer due to undecisiveness

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 09:54   Link #22
krazimonkey

You dont see any ugly main characters
well not in the ones ive seen
krazimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 10:15   Link #23
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Hollywood parodies/cameos(?)

I know for sure they don't do that much in anime

I'll also throw in an agreement with the lack of brains over brawn. Well thought out military tactics seem to be very rare when it comes to any warfare based anime. In my opinion, regardless of who you are, you cannot go SEED mode out of convenience and expect to survive against superior tactics - especially in real life. It also makes for less immersive fiction when the writers use the godly main character archetype. This is the main reason why Utawarerumono ended up on my watch list, I was actually surprised (and excited) that an anime would include viable and realistic military tactics that harken Sun Tsu.

Currently watching: (week 2) Claymore, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, HitoHira, Hayate no Gotoku!, Murder Princess, Lucky Star, Darker than BLACK, Sola, Seto no Hanayome , El Cazador.
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 11:53   Link #24
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
lol but the problem is that most of the times the main chara dnt even want a girl friend but is forced to go into multiple relationships...its like they sit around and suddenly 10 girls pop up in front of them confessing but he ends up actually detesting it instead of being greatful -.- besides how are they the underdog if they dnt even have a rival to challange...kinda annoys me when they are being ungreatful and making the female chara suffer due to undecisiveness
I agree with the sudden popping up of relationships.

Actually, I was thinking along the line that in harem anime, sometimes a love rival pops up to put up a fight for the main girl's attention. Usually this love rival is shown to be better in almost every way compared to the harem-guy. But somehow, the harem-guy gets the girl instead.

This kind of plotline is common in romance plotlines. The effect is felt more strongly in harem anime as the harem-guy is typically portrayed as indecisive, wussy, unromantic and hopeless, while the girl is usually pretty and charming enough to have her own idol fanclub.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:42   Link #25
Ending

Quote:
Main characters that aren't white/asian is extremely rare
So what? When it comes to creative works, the author has pretty much every right to make the characters exactly as he likes them to be and no japanese could even imagine a black protagonist in his work. And come to think of it... When you have last seen an african made movie/cartoon/anime/whatever?

There should be more of M-rated animes. Just not because of some grotesque amount of gore or sex, since hentai is usually rather boring.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:59   Link #26
Kroni

Send a message via Skype™ to Kroni
A psychotic/violent main character, perhap?.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 14:16   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I agree with Wordplay... if the artist start thinking about marketing value then the anime quality can only drop... its better if we leave some of the decisions to the artists like fat people, non perverted old men and so on...
The only thing I would like to see more... are anime were the characters use more then 1-2 outfits and more then 1 hairstyle... it would look a lot more realistic... and the way the system is now kind of makes some of the characters... especially the main characters... look like some stage actors...
@ Kroni
I think there are tons of those... especially some oldies... its just that the main character isn't psychotic all the time...
Old 2006-07-21, 16:03   Link #28
Aiya Kasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
So what? When it comes to creative works, the author has pretty much every right to make the characters exactly as he likes them to be and no japanese could even imagine a black protagonist in his work. And come to think of it... When you have last seen an african made movie/cartoon/anime/whatever?

There should be more of M-rated animes. Just not because of some grotesque amount of gore or sex, since hentai is usually rather boring.
I think he was more "A matter of fact"...then being rude. He was just saying there was alot more whitish looking people...and thats it.

I have the guilt of making a hot main character for my manga too....but he's just making a point.

When you don't make a hot character...people don't tend to read it as often..which is sad...but...you know everyone is so brainwashed about whats hot and what's not...that if there is a ugly main character....people are going to be like "eww....ugly girl"...rather then "I WANNA READ".

A good example is...in my opinion I think Ouran Host Club beats the living crap out of Hana Kimi....but alot of girls tend to like Hana Kimi alot because all the guys are ultra hot in there. I'm not saying Ouran Host CLub doesn't have a ton of hot guys....but you know.

Okay thats a bad example...leave me alone *runs away* xD.

Okay point proven in the fact that HOT PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE...omg....aint that realistic?

I on the other hand...would really to read a sports manga where the main character looses every game. I think there is a few like that...but I dunno if they were good. And I would like to see a shojo with a ugly girl or ugly guy(BUT NOT WITH A THOUSAND HOT GIRLS)
Old 2006-07-21, 16:31   Link #29
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni
A psychotic/violent main character, perhap?.
lol i bet you havent seen higurashi no naku koro ni its full of psycos

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 19:17   Link #30
Ending

Quote:
I think he was more "A matter of fact"...then being rude.
Don't be a berk, Aiya Kasai, since there was nothing rude. Honestly, africans need to stop complaining about the "not-a-black!" -issue and start doing their own flicks. I, and probably many others, would just love to see more non-US, non-Hollywood stuff and a all black version of GreenGreen could be a refreshing change.

By the way... Why haven't we ever seen a threesome or foursome before? You know: there are dozens of harem-animes, but they all always end up singling out only one gal for the gel like it was written to stone at the beginning of time.
Old 2006-07-22, 01:10   Link #31
mokoi
nightmares of the mind

a main character where he is completely useless but still goes foward.
mokoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 01:22   Link #32
Light/Dark>0TAKU
//Digital>Damnati0n\\

do we really need to bring racism to anime do we....really?
Light/Dark>0TAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 02:18   Link #33
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Racism is already prevalent, but just not the racism of skin color. It's more along the lines of elves, cat girls, and any magical magical creature you can think of .

As for the non-hot characters, the only show I can think of is Monster, where every other character is fat and there really are only three decent looking individuals in the whole show. I don't think any serious anime would consider having ugly character... for the sake of bringing food to the author's table.

With Sports manga, I don't believe there would be one humble enough to be realistic. I'll throw a side wink at Prince of Tennis for their dinosaur-killing-meteor Tennis balls. Kudos to Tezuka for wiping out the prehistoric giants with a ball return.

Anyway, yeah, most of the arguments here are true. After all, less than 1% of the anime fanbase is black, and obesity is not a socially accepted trait... well, maybe it is, but it is just not desireable. Not many people want to use their heads for entertainment, and certainly less people want to have an image of an ugly protagonist reside within their minds. So, I guess another relevant question is:

What do you want to see in anime that is current absent from it?
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 03:46   Link #34
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing
1. Brain over brawn. Yes, this is very atypical... very characteristic of protagonists to go beserk at their own convenience for their "belief" when the antagonists have far superior plans.
For what it's worth, I've always been very interested in detective anime. Must be due to reading lots and lots of Sherlock Holmes when I was little.

I can think of a lot of things I haven't seen in anime, but for most of them I've got a fair idea about why we haven't seen them. (Most of them are the "mundane" things that don't have a lot of point, like, say, setting the time on the microwave or VCR.)

What I haven't seen and want to (and will gladly look into if it does happen to exist) is a detective anime with a female main detective who's not a "hard-bitten" or "ice-cold" or whatever. Just a normal, well-balanced, cheerful female character, who's the main character and problem-solver of a detective anime. (Yes, I know there's anime-version Marple, but it's not like she has clear "main character" status.)
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 06:27   Link #35
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac Glycoside
Poor people in modern/futuristic series.
Solty Rei...
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 10:10   Link #36
Lotiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazimonkey
You dont see any ugly main characters
well not in the ones ive seen
Is Sunabouzu or Hellsing consider ugly?
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 11:41   Link #37
Ending

Isn't "beauty in the eye of the beholder?" Besides, aren't the characters usually too detail'less to be considered "beatiful" when half of it is what we, or our imagination, fills in?
Old 2006-07-22, 12:44   Link #38
Kiomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
Isn't "beauty in the eye of the beholder?" Besides, aren't the characters usually too detail'less to be considered "beatiful" when half of it is what we, or our imagination, fills in?
agreed, I like the way Hellsing looks btw.
Kiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 13:41   Link #39
Aiya Kasai

^___^U....wow this thread is alot more serious then I thought it was going to be...lol.

I thought people were just going to say random stuff but guess I was wrong.
Old 2006-07-22, 13:50   Link #40
Kroni

Send a message via Skype™ to Kroni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
lol i bet you havent seen higurashi no naku koro ni its full of psycos
Never heard of it... What I'm thinking is like a remorseless killer or cannibal or some other crazy thing. And yeah, you don't see many ugly people except in more realistic shows like Paranoia Agent, but in fantasy shows not many people will want to watch an ugly girl/guy fight demons or something.

@AvianWing- I'd like to see more naturally beautiful characters and less big boobed anorexics.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote