AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-22, 14:57   Link #41
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Though you are taking out the fun from Fan Service anime, if you take out the boobs!

What I dont see too much are:
*the overly Jealous Girl Friends (Note I am talking about those already in a relationship)
*Girls who suffer from the Monthly Cycle
*Guys Successful at picking up girls, which later turns serious.
*People with AIDS (though AIDS might not be common in japan), Cancer, And other Disfiguring Diseases. (though Anime was ment to be cute)
*Hardly ever or Never seen a Gay Couple.
*BiSexuals which could have a nice Dramic Feel to it.

I might think of more later.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-07-22 at 15:10.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 15:14   Link #42
Tsukishirou

Iīve been watching Ashita no Nadja on Cartoon Network and it seems to me they drew all the character fine. The English are more pale, the Italian are more tanned, Spanish men have wider eyebrows, Spanish women have bigger and sexier lips etc...
Overall I donīt care about diversity and all that stuff since itīs just anime.
Tsukishirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 16:20   Link #43
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya Kasai
I am making a list of what is normally not done in anime. People acctually make alot of posts about this type of thing on anime forums....complaining that more anime should have this or that.

SO give me examples of things that you think anime should have more of.

My examples (these are examples I took from actual posts):
1.Black people in anime
2.Fat people in anime
3.A anime character who may have a disability.
Given that most anime is aimed at Japanese teenagers, it's hard to realisticly have foreign characters in anime unless the setting is mainly or entirely set outside Japan. If you remove a few special case groups (a certain group of Koreans and the US military), there's almost no foreigners permanently living in Japan - permanently enough to have kids at school in Japan. Basically, it's so rare that authors would two problems - one, understanding the situation they would likely face, and two, explaining how they came to be there.

If you look at Blood+, there's two major black characters (one is fat too). There's a one story-arc character earlier on in the series who had lost one of her legs due to a landmine, and more recently there's a character in a wheelchair. The manga/anime Black Lagoon (mostly set outside Japan) has a major black character, plus a Jewish american, a heavily scarred russian woman, and the world's most psycho maid. The manga/anime Tenjo Tenge has just about everything and is also set in Japan: major black character, very fat girl (cheating somewhat), woman with missing arm and more.

Given the main audiance, and the cost of making anime, it's very hard to do highly unusual characters or storylines - simply making an interesting story with the main character having a major physical disability where you have 26 eps to fill is damn hard. Possible for an OVA series but they're not as common as they used to be.

Japanese manga and novels have a wider range of characters and story lines since they are less contrained by budget (lower risks = more artistic freedom) and the audiance is much wider (not 90% kids). There's also a lot more of it, so you get more variety naturally.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 16:54   Link #44
kari-no-sugata

As for what I'd like to see more of:
novel to anime conversions. They are often done well and have superior stories

well done manga to anime conversions. Most of the time, the anime is clearly inferior to the manga, at least I find so - in particular, often the characters are changed slightly, ruining their uniqueness.

more fantasy anime - ie not set on Earth. (more Lina Inverse would be nice)

more smart parodies - eg Nadesico.

more center weighted characters (in terms of personality). Often, characters are at one extreme or another - their main characteristics are quite unusual compared to Real Life (tm). Sure, anime/manga shouldn't go for "realism" but all too often, their unusual aspects dominate. Characters who are closer to being normal are also harder to predict in terms of how they develop.

Most of my favourite anime have strong (but not overly strong) female characters. For example, Youko from Juuni Kokki (The Tweleve Kingdoms) - talking of which, the godly Rakushun is a great character too.
Old 2006-07-22, 17:05   Link #45
Ending

@ kari-no-sugata

Sounds reasonable, but now I have to ask why there are no emigrants in Japan? Is due of a combination of bad(impossible) legistlation and language barrier...? I know that Finland, Russia, and China are impossible with their demands, but Japan too?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 18:29   Link #46
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Mashiro from mai-HiME was wheelchair bound... mind you, she probably chose to be disabled.
Old 2006-07-23, 11:45   Link #47
Aiya Kasai

Cool, I really din know there was anime peeps in wheelchairs.

Never saw that...interesting information.
Old 2006-07-23, 13:12   Link #48
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
@ kari-no-sugata

Sounds reasonable, but now I have to ask why there are no emigrants in Japan? Is due of a combination of bad(impossible) legistlation and language barrier...? I know that Finland, Russia, and China are impossible with their demands, but Japan too?
The number isn't zero, but just about everyone with Japanese citizenship is geneticly Japanese. You might find this interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...eign_Residents

Quote:
If Japanese society is reluctant to readmit returnees, it is even less willing to accept as full members of society those people who are not ethnic Japanese. In 1991 there were 1.2 million foreign residents in Japan, less than 1 % of Japan's population. Of this number, 693,100 (about 57 %) were Koreans and 171,100 (some 14 %) were Chinese. Many of these people were descendants of those brought to Japan during Japan's occupation of Taiwan (1895- 1945) and Korea (1905-45) to work at unskilled jobs, such as coal mining. Because Japanese citizenship was based on the nationality of the parent rather than on the place of birth, subsequent generations were not automatically Japanese and had to be naturalized to claim citizenship, despite being born and educated in Japan and speaking only Japanese, as was the case with most Koreans in Japan. Until the late 1980s, people applying for citizenship were expected to use only the Japanese renderings of their names and, even as citizens, continued to face discrimination in education, employment, and marriage. Thus, few chose naturalization, and they faced legal restrictions as foreigners, as well as extreme social prejudice.

PS Someone asked about AIDS in Japan. According to same page above, there were about 12,000 people living with AIDS in Japan (0.0094% of the population). In the US, 0.32% of the population is living with AIDS - 34x higher than Japan.
Old 2006-07-23, 16:26   Link #49
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya Kasai
Cool, I really din know there was anime peeps in wheelchairs.

Never saw that...interesting information.
It was a bit weird though... she was basically a god that ran a school and sort of manipulated all the characters, but she took the form of a small girl in a wheelchair.
Old 2006-07-23, 21:53   Link #50
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Partner anime/manga, like Spike and Jet in Cowboy Bebop and Train and Sven in the Black Cat manga, where the partners are a male and a female. It's always 2 guys. Sometimes 2 girls.

Those who make dirty replies get /slap spam. lol
Old 2006-07-23, 22:05   Link #51
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Slow burning character development for villians. There are tons of cool villians, but while they're cool, they are already that way when they're introduced and thus, little character development are needed. Most animes prefer to make the villain's motive shrouded in mystique and slow revelation or even showing some villian character's past ro make him more dimensional.

The only villians I've seen in this incarnation are Hadlar of Dai no Daibouken, who's simple yet powerful growth as a character amazes me to this day. Volume 1 and Volume 29's Hadlar are so different you'd think he's someone else. Another is...the villians of Le Cirque de Karakuri. A marionette's quest to smile for her master and a pitiful man's quest in search in true love has never been quite so tragic. Lastly is..of course, Berserk.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 03:51   Link #52
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There's no breast implants, nosejobs, botox, etc. Plastic surgery does not exist in anime.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 07:39   Link #53
DaFool
Resident devil

Hellsing characters are beatifully grotesque in an artistic way. It works very well for the dark, violent setting.

However downright butt-ugly in a non-artistic way can be useful too, but only for non-main characters. Like the punks in GTO and Cromartie High.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 16:55   Link #54
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Realistic martial art sequences and fight scenes. I know it sounds weird considering anime comes from Japan, but when was the last time you an anime with realistic martial arts or fights scene? I can only think of one right now.

I understand that you have to entertain your audience, but adding more realism would be a nice change of pace once in awhile.
Old 2006-07-24, 18:23   Link #55
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Slow burning character development for villians. There are tons of cool villians, but while they're cool, they are already that way when they're introduced and thus, little character development are needed. Most animes prefer to make the villain's motive shrouded in mystique and slow revelation or even showing some villian character's past ro make him more dimensional.

The only villians I've seen in this incarnation are Hadlar of Dai no Daibouken, who's simple yet powerful growth as a character amazes me to this day. Volume 1 and Volume 29's Hadlar are so different you'd think he's someone else. Another is...the villians of Le Cirque de Karakuri. A marionette's quest to smile for her master and a pitiful man's quest in search in true love has never been quite so tragic. Lastly is..of course, Berserk.
Naraku of Inuyasha has a TON of development.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 20:10   Link #56
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
Realistic martial art sequences and fight scenes. I know it sounds weird considering anime comes from Japan, but when was the last time you an anime with realistic martial arts or fights scene? I can only think of one right now.

I understand that you have to entertain your audience, but adding more realism would be a nice change of pace once in awhile.
Well, there's no such thing as real fight scenes in films.

Old 2006-07-24, 20:17   Link #57
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Naraku of Inuyasha has a TON of development.
That's not really what I'm looking at into. Hell, Monster was all about Johan, but did he have a slow-burn character development that changed him? No. Same with Naraku. He's technically the same person he was in Volume X and the person he is in Volume 4X. Tons of development doesn't mean he's evolving into a different variant of the same character.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 21:34   Link #58
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well, there's no such thing as real fight scenes in films.
We can all hope!

Well I guess you aren't counting documentary films or biographical films that utilize actual fight scenes. Good examples are boxing films. However you were probably thinking in term of fictional films. Sorry, I have habit of critiquing statements that seem absolute. No offense intended.

Anyways my main thesis was about interjecting more plausibility in how a fight is done, not incorporating actual fight scenes or making an absolutely real fight in films. I probably should have worded my post to use the term plausibility rather than realism. Also I should have elaborated in my earlier post that I wasn't looking for absolute realism. Oh well, my mistake.
Old 2006-07-24, 21:55   Link #59
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
We can all hope!

Well I guess you aren't counting documentary films or biographical films that utilize actual fight scenes. Good examples are boxing films. However you were probably thinking in term of fictional films. Sorry, I have habit of critiquing statements that seem absolute. No offense intended.

Anyways my main thesis was about interjecting more plausibility in how a fight is done, not incorporating actual fight scenes or making an absolutely real fight in films. I probably should have worded my post to use the term plausibility rather than realism. Also I should have elaborated in my earlier post that I wasn't looking for absolute realism. Oh well, my mistake.
Hmmm there's one or two boxing anime, maybe they have realistic fight scenes. I've never watched such anime though.

But I don't really hope for very realistic fight scenes lol

Real fights are really not very interesting most of the time.

Old 2006-07-24, 22:20   Link #60
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Hajime no Ippo is a very accurate portrayal of a boxer's life, but the fight scenes tend to be a tad exagerrated. I think they are pretty close to realistic, though.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote