AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2008-08-25, 18:57   Link #221
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
The English VAs tend to exaggerate their way of speaking.
So do seiyuu. Your point? And drag out words? Explain.

And since everyone is harping on pronunciation what about crap like "Hoero Zabimaru" and other Engrish? Why let that slide?
Old 2008-08-25, 19:07   Link #222
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
So do seiyuu. Your point? And drag out words? Explain.

And since everyone is harping on pronunciation what about crap like "Hoero Zabimaru" and other Engrish? Why let that slide?
Dunno, it just doesn't sound natural.

I guess it's personal taste.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 19:16   Link #223
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Dunno, it just doesn't sound natural.
You honestly think normal Japanese people speak like anime characters do? Or vis versa?

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-08-25 at 20:53.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 21:30   Link #224
Langus
Optimus Prime

I actually rather like Ichigo's VA - I think he does a pretty good job. The only ones that bother me are Hitsugaya (god I cringe every time his eng VA speaks) and Gin. The rest of the cast isn't too shabby though.
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:22   Link #225
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
The only ones that bother me are Hitsugaya (god I cringe every time his eng VA speaks) and Gin.
Well, I'd say Gin's VA got the "smile and stab you in the back" tone down perfectly. It's just Gin needs an accent. Though I question whether a Southern accent would be that menacing.

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-08-25 at 22:33.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:44   Link #226
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
You honestly think normal Japanese people speak like anime characters do? Or vis versa?
Natural as in the overall flow of the delivered speech.

Old 2008-08-25, 22:51   Link #227
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Natural as in the overall flow of the delivered speech.
Which is still overacted by many seiyuu. I remember Crispin Freeman recalling when he told a Japanese director that he dubbed anime and the director asked him whether they overact like a lot of seiyuus do.
Old 2008-08-25, 22:59   Link #228
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Which is still overacted by many seiyuu. I remember Crispin Freeman recalling when he told a Japanese director that he dubbed anime and the director asked him whether they overact like a lot of seiyuus do.
Meh. I still prefer subs over dubs. Can't get used to the English voices, and my pet peeves are the pronunciation and the order of the names.

Old 2008-08-25, 23:32   Link #229
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
The English VAs tend to exaggerate their way of speaking, and drag out words for no reason. Thus my ears bleed when watching dubs.
You make me laugh funny person ........... Do you even speak or Understand Japanese? If you don't.. then how could you know if the japanese did the same?

also who ever gave the -Rep... Totally uncalled for. He wasnt stating a Opinion he said it like it was a fact.

--- anyways before I get more -Rep- for no reason----

I can't wait to hear Hiyori and Shinji's VA's XD
Old 2008-08-25, 23:35   Link #230
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Well, I'd say Gin's VA got the "smile and stab you in the back" tone down perfectly. It's just Gin needs an accent. Though I question whether a Southern accent would be that menacing.
definitely needs an accent, he speaks like a proper Englishmen I swear...you can give him the Southern accent, you just don't have to go overboard w/ it, like Kitsune from Love Hina
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 05:04   Link #231
ShuiMei

Quote:
I'm so extremely pissed at Rukia's VA. It isn't as deep and more girly, something that doesn't suit Rukia. Also, Ichigo's VA sounds more boyish; his Japanese VA sounded more mature.
I'm indifferent towards Ichigo's VA but I think Rukia's VA is great, which is rather surprising considering that Rukia is my favourite character so one would think I would be rather critical. I don't know, she's obviously more "girly" sounding than Orikasa Fumiko's Rukia, but I think she captures Rukia's character fairly well. Also, her voice isn't overwhelming feminine, rather I think she has a good balance of harsh and gentle, just as Rukia does, though the latter is often overlooked by many.

Hey, maybe with a slightly more feminine voice, people won't be so quick to overlook Rukia's softer, more vulnerable side.
ShuiMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 07:11   Link #232
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

which is why I say Rukia's VA is hit n' miss w/ the tones of the voice it's kinda like w/ Kenpachi *imo* that they sound better when they're in their serious sounding/yell voices.

though I'm curious who thought Kira should sound like a surfer...
Old 2008-08-26, 07:11   Link #233
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Rukia's VA fits perfectly, shes a tomboyish character imo. Ichigo's VA is being used too much and its kinda getting annoying.
Old 2008-08-26, 07:58   Link #234
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

hey, it's hard to find decent work after Power Rangers
Old 2008-08-26, 11:11   Link #235
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Rukia's VA fits perfectly, shes a tomboyish character imo. Ichigo's VA is being used too much and its kinda getting annoying.
Rukia's voice...is like...1/2 an octave higher

Old 2008-08-26, 12:34   Link #236
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I actually like the English VAs, except for Kon and Kurotsuchi Mayori...I can't stand those two, and much prefer the Japanese versions.
Old 2008-08-26, 13:09   Link #237
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuiMei View Post
I'm indifferent towards Ichigo's VA but I think Rukia's VA is great, which is rather surprising considering that Rukia is my favourite character so one would think I would be rather critical. I don't know, she's obviously more "girly" sounding than Orikasa Fumiko's Rukia, but I think she captures Rukia's character fairly well. Also, her voice isn't overwhelming feminine, rather I think she has a good balance of harsh and gentle, just as Rukia does, though the latter is often overlooked by many.

Hey, maybe with a slightly more feminine voice, people won't be so quick to overlook Rukia's softer, more vulnerable side.
I agree. JYB sucks as VA. He is not bad-assed enough. Ichigo's arrogance does not come across well.
Byakuya's VA grew on me...
Everyone else SUCKS!!!
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 13:11   Link #238
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
I agree. JYB sucks as VA. He is not bad-assed enough. Ichigo's arrogance does not come across well.
I know! Ichigo sounds like he came out of a Pokemon episode.

JYB also ruined Lelouch from Code Geass. >>"

Old 2008-08-26, 13:55   Link #239
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
I know! Ichigo sounds like he came out of a Pokemon episode.

JYB also ruined Lelouch from Code Geass. >>"
Girllllll...I saw the ep on CN at a friends house. I was like "OMG SOMEONE PLEASE! TELL ME IT ISN'T SO"

My cousin and homeboy were looking at me like I was crazy.

I am with Hari. They don't sound natural when saying the names. I don't speak it but it's all I have watched for the past 7 years. I can tell accented Japanese, proper and improper. If it's an Osaka dialect. (Kansa Ben is only one of em).
For instance Ichigo is the only one who pronounces Zangetsu -Zangets. Everyone else says Zan-get-su. So it's not like I can't tell the difference.

The problem I have with English VA's are:

1 Most of them do not watch Anime or read Manga so they don't care about the role.
2 they can't act. They either talk in dead dry monotone or they are shrill and annoying, or they overact and everything sounds campy.

3 they can't act. We tend to get has and never was-been's. Unless it's a Disney or Pixar film we get actors who depend on expressions and gestures, and cannot do it with voice alone. In Japan it's a respected craft, so the acting is quality.

Daisuke Namikawa (Ulquiorra) is my favorite. When I first heard him he was an unknown. (I downloaded everything he's ever done) He is a great actor. He's one of the few I can recognize anywhere (Hisagi/Keigo, Mizuiro/Yumichika ,Isshin/Tsubaki/Tousen, seiyuu's are my other faves along with Mamoru Miyano-Light/Tamaki/DN &OHSHC)

4. Their pronunciation is horrible. It is to me, even if it doesn't bother you. You had to have heard it. It just doesn't get on your nerves like it does mine.

I HATE DUBS with a passion and the only way I will watch one is. if I have no choice. Even then do I drag my feet. <--Translation...I haven't watched or completed a dub yet
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 14:49   Link #240
Langus
Optimus Prime

Anyone else seen the video around YouTube of Ichigo's VA going "Hi! I'm Ichigo Kurosaki and I like tigers." OD you would probably love it

Edit: The only dub I have ever seen that was actually better than the original was the Full Metal Panic! English dub. They really picked a star cast for that one. The original Japanese voice actors are so unemotive it's painful to listen to.
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote