AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-25, 18:57   Link #221
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
The English VAs tend to exaggerate their way of speaking.
So do seiyuu. Your point? And drag out words? Explain.

And since everyone is harping on pronunciation what about crap like "Hoero Zabimaru" and other Engrish? Why let that slide?
__________________
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 19:07   Link #222
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
So do seiyuu. Your point? And drag out words? Explain.

And since everyone is harping on pronunciation what about crap like "Hoero Zabimaru" and other Engrish? Why let that slide?
Dunno, it just doesn't sound natural.

I guess it's personal taste.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 19:16   Link #223
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Dunno, it just doesn't sound natural.
You honestly think normal Japanese people speak like anime characters do? Or vis versa?
__________________

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-08-25 at 20:53.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 21:30   Link #224
Langus
Optimus Prime
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan/Canada
Age: 29
I actually rather like Ichigo's VA - I think he does a pretty good job. The only ones that bother me are Hitsugaya (god I cringe every time his eng VA speaks) and Gin. The rest of the cast isn't too shabby though.
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:22   Link #225
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
The only ones that bother me are Hitsugaya (god I cringe every time his eng VA speaks) and Gin.
Well, I'd say Gin's VA got the "smile and stab you in the back" tone down perfectly. It's just Gin needs an accent. Though I question whether a Southern accent would be that menacing.
__________________

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2008-08-25 at 22:33.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:44   Link #226
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
You honestly think normal Japanese people speak like anime characters do? Or vis versa?
Natural as in the overall flow of the delivered speech.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:51   Link #227
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Natural as in the overall flow of the delivered speech.
Which is still overacted by many seiyuu. I remember Crispin Freeman recalling when he told a Japanese director that he dubbed anime and the director asked him whether they overact like a lot of seiyuus do.
__________________
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 22:59   Link #228
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Which is still overacted by many seiyuu. I remember Crispin Freeman recalling when he told a Japanese director that he dubbed anime and the director asked him whether they overact like a lot of seiyuus do.
Meh. I still prefer subs over dubs. Can't get used to the English voices, and my pet peeves are the pronunciation and the order of the names.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 23:32   Link #229
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
The English VAs tend to exaggerate their way of speaking, and drag out words for no reason. Thus my ears bleed when watching dubs.
You make me laugh funny person ........... Do you even speak or Understand Japanese? If you don't.. then how could you know if the japanese did the same?

also who ever gave the -Rep... Totally uncalled for. He wasnt stating a Opinion he said it like it was a fact.

--- anyways before I get more -Rep- for no reason----

I can't wait to hear Hiyori and Shinji's VA's XD
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 23:35   Link #230
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Well, I'd say Gin's VA got the "smile and stab you in the back" tone down perfectly. It's just Gin needs an accent. Though I question whether a Southern accent would be that menacing.
definitely needs an accent, he speaks like a proper Englishmen I swear...you can give him the Southern accent, you just don't have to go overboard w/ it, like Kitsune from Love Hina
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 05:04   Link #231
ShuiMei
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
I'm so extremely pissed at Rukia's VA. It isn't as deep and more girly, something that doesn't suit Rukia. Also, Ichigo's VA sounds more boyish; his Japanese VA sounded more mature.
I'm indifferent towards Ichigo's VA but I think Rukia's VA is great, which is rather surprising considering that Rukia is my favourite character so one would think I would be rather critical. I don't know, she's obviously more "girly" sounding than Orikasa Fumiko's Rukia, but I think she captures Rukia's character fairly well. Also, her voice isn't overwhelming feminine, rather I think she has a good balance of harsh and gentle, just as Rukia does, though the latter is often overlooked by many.

Hey, maybe with a slightly more feminine voice, people won't be so quick to overlook Rukia's softer, more vulnerable side.
ShuiMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 07:11   Link #232
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
which is why I say Rukia's VA is hit n' miss w/ the tones of the voice it's kinda like w/ Kenpachi *imo* that they sound better when they're in their serious sounding/yell voices.

though I'm curious who thought Kira should sound like a surfer...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 07:11   Link #233
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Rukia's VA fits perfectly, shes a tomboyish character imo. Ichigo's VA is being used too much and its kinda getting annoying.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 07:58   Link #234
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
hey, it's hard to find decent work after Power Rangers
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 11:11   Link #235
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Rukia's VA fits perfectly, shes a tomboyish character imo. Ichigo's VA is being used too much and its kinda getting annoying.
Rukia's voice...is like...1/2 an octave higher
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 12:34   Link #236
Captain Yoruichi
Yoruichi Biased! ^_^
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Captain Yoruichi
I actually like the English VAs, except for Kon and Kurotsuchi Mayori...I can't stand those two, and much prefer the Japanese versions.
__________________
Captain Yoruichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 13:09   Link #237
BleachOD
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kneeling in front of my ICHIGO SHRINE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuiMei View Post
I'm indifferent towards Ichigo's VA but I think Rukia's VA is great, which is rather surprising considering that Rukia is my favourite character so one would think I would be rather critical. I don't know, she's obviously more "girly" sounding than Orikasa Fumiko's Rukia, but I think she captures Rukia's character fairly well. Also, her voice isn't overwhelming feminine, rather I think she has a good balance of harsh and gentle, just as Rukia does, though the latter is often overlooked by many.

Hey, maybe with a slightly more feminine voice, people won't be so quick to overlook Rukia's softer, more vulnerable side.
I agree. JYB sucks as VA. He is not bad-assed enough. Ichigo's arrogance does not come across well.
Byakuya's VA grew on me...
Everyone else SUCKS!!!
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 13:11   Link #238
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
I agree. JYB sucks as VA. He is not bad-assed enough. Ichigo's arrogance does not come across well.
I know! Ichigo sounds like he came out of a Pokemon episode.

JYB also ruined Lelouch from Code Geass. >>"
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 13:55   Link #239
BleachOD
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kneeling in front of my ICHIGO SHRINE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
I know! Ichigo sounds like he came out of a Pokemon episode.

JYB also ruined Lelouch from Code Geass. >>"
Girllllll...I saw the ep on CN at a friends house. I was like "OMG SOMEONE PLEASE! TELL ME IT ISN'T SO"

My cousin and homeboy were looking at me like I was crazy.

I am with Hari. They don't sound natural when saying the names. I don't speak it but it's all I have watched for the past 7 years. I can tell accented Japanese, proper and improper. If it's an Osaka dialect. (Kansa Ben is only one of em).
For instance Ichigo is the only one who pronounces Zangetsu -Zangets. Everyone else says Zan-get-su. So it's not like I can't tell the difference.


The problem I have with English VA's are:

1 Most of them do not watch Anime or read Manga so they don't care about the role.
2 they can't act. They either talk in dead dry monotone or they are shrill and annoying, or they overact and everything sounds campy.

3 they can't act. We tend to get has and never was-been's. Unless it's a Disney or Pixar film we get actors who depend on expressions and gestures, and cannot do it with voice alone. In Japan it's a respected craft, so the acting is quality.

Daisuke Namikawa (Ulquiorra) is my favorite. When I first heard him he was an unknown. (I downloaded everything he's ever done) He is a great actor. He's one of the few I can recognize anywhere (Hisagi/Keigo, Mizuiro/Yumichika ,Isshin/Tsubaki/Tousen, seiyuu's are my other faves along with Mamoru Miyano-Light/Tamaki/DN &OHSHC)

4. Their pronunciation is horrible. It is to me, even if it doesn't bother you. You had to have heard it. It just doesn't get on your nerves like it does mine.

I HATE DUBS with a passion and the only way I will watch one is. if I have no choice. Even then do I drag my feet. <--Translation...I haven't watched or completed a dub yet
BleachOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 14:49   Link #240
Langus
Optimus Prime
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan/Canada
Age: 29
Anyone else seen the video around YouTube of Ichigo's VA going "Hi! I'm Ichigo Kurosaki and I like tigers." OD you would probably love it

Edit: The only dub I have ever seen that was actually better than the original was the Full Metal Panic! English dub. They really picked a star cast for that one. The original Japanese voice actors are so unemotive it's painful to listen to.
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.