AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-15, 18:24   Link #101
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Jun's ultimate goal is to turn straight men to gay
And support the yaoi market even more?!! Ah, hell naw!!!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 18:29   Link #102
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I just watched the first episode and while it was full of cliches (I am starting to really hate the "fateful childhood encounter with the future love of my life" scenario), it somehow did not manage to annoy me as cliche-ridden series normally do.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 18:42   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.... I'm enjoying the series now.... but I'm considering headshots for the next writing team that decides to use the "you encountered each other in childhood" plot driver.... sheesh.

That might be true in tiny Japan ... maybe everyone *does* meet each other as children <lol> but I don't think they all make pinky promises or evolve lifelong fantasies about some six year old they met once as children.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 22:03   Link #104
aeroshadow
?

Send a message via AIM to aeroshadow
I'll go ahead and agree with some other people here that this show is extremely cliche. None of the characters really have any personality; they all seem like shells of whatever character archetype they are supposed to be playing for. As for the storyline, it's not like I was interested.

Even so, I actually, uh... enjoyed it. Just a little. I think this show managed to avoid the more annoying aspects of its genre, and from what I've been shown, it seems like it'll have a decent sense of pacing as well. It's a pretty quiet show, and in turn, pretty relaxing and pleasant as well, plus it can hold my attention, some way or another.

I liked Jun. Even though he sometimes bordered on annoying, this first episode made me like him a lot more than I did when I had just been shown pictures on 4chan. Although his personality is not really a personality (hopefully this will be remedied), it's amusing for sure; he steals the attention in almost every scene he's in, seriously! That could just be me, though.
aeroshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 00:01   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just finished first ep....

Jun is kind of interesting/novel/odd but they all seem okay with Jun which I find kind of nice.

I guess what impresses me most is the *soundtrack* ... its pretty rich/vibrant/lush.... not as atmospheric as, say, Tweeny Witches but remarkably full considering the fairly limited animation I've seen so far. The special effects (mahou sparkle lights) are pretty decent, again considering the "petopeto-san" animation.

The series was definitely not hard to like ... but it would help their coloring if they'd back off on the brightness a bit and the blonde mage looks like someone stenciled Negima's Asuna and just switched the color template.

The magic staves look pretty sophisticated and communicate with their master ... thats a neat bit I'd like to see in some RPG/MMO games.

Eh... worth continuing to watch.
Old 2006-10-16, 08:08   Link #106
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I just watched the first episode and while it was full of cliches (I am starting to really hate the "fateful childhood encounter with the future love of my life" scenario), it somehow did not manage to annoy me as cliche-ridden series normally do.
I haven't seen the anime myself so i'm unsure of what to expect, but from what you said, it may be cliche, but it's good though, right?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 08:58   Link #107
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Well, good enough to make me want to watch more of it. Just don't ask me why, objectively speaking it's almost nothing but cliche after cliche. Maybe it's because the characters don't look borderline retarded as say those in Strawberry Panic or Mai Otome or some other show full of nothing but cliches. Also the show doesn't seem to take itself too seriously (it seemed that way mostly because of the comedy provided by Anri and Jun) which can be a major problem when combined with a lack of originality.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 11:09   Link #108
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I haven't seen the anime myself so i'm unsure of what to expect, but from what you said, it may be cliche, but it's good though, right?
well based on the first 2 eps i still think its kinda average...the mood seems a bit slow and not lively enough...but i will give it a few more eps before deciding...imo jun is the only reason im carrying on atm

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 13:55   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far this is one of those "on the balance worth some small waste of time" situations for me... once I watch the others I have on queue, if I have a spare moment I'll watch this. Its the same way I discovered Lamune and Petopetosan, by trips and odd glances, so if Happiness turns out to be a durable bit of niceness for the whole series, I've not incorrectly set my expectations.
Old 2006-10-18, 13:52   Link #110
DaFool
Resident devil

I'm watching this show just for Jun, because Jun is just too awesome.

Jun is the perfect combo of masculine / feminine that appeals to guys. He likes to hang out, he's cute and spunky, and he's generous. If only real-life gays were like this, I'd join the queer club immediately. (This coming from a homophobe). Sadly this idealized moe image only exists in the bishoujo game-turned-anime. Real life has exactly the combination of masculine / feminine that turns off guys.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 15:12   Link #111
martino
makes no files now

Hmm...so in the game, was there actually a path for Jun? I assume that you play as the main chracter(the guy, whatever his name is) and he knows that Jun is a guy...so he would basically turn gay...d'oh

No really, is there a path for Jun in the game???
Old 2006-10-18, 15:21   Link #112
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Hmm...so in the game, was there actually a path for Jun? I assume that you play as the main chracter(the guy, whatever his name is) and he knows that Jun is a guy...so he would basically turn gay...d'oh

If there was a path like that, it would probably be one of the bad paths

Main character's last words before the game ends: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo >.< I somehow eneded up with a guy"

LOL
Old 2006-10-18, 15:29   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool View Post
I'm watching this show just for Jun, because Jun is just too awesome.

Jun is the perfect combo of masculine / feminine that appeals to guys. He likes to hang out, he's cute and spunky, and he's generous. If only real-life gays were like this, I'd join the queer club immediately. (This coming from a homophobe). Sadly this idealized moe image only exists in the bishoujo game-turned-anime. Real life has exactly the combination of masculine / feminine that turns off guys.
Yeah.. unfortunately (?) I've never met a confident "okay with himself" package like Jun in real life. I have met some very flirty guys who were hilarious but they usually had emotional baggage just under the surface... as far as I can tell, Jun is a completely a character of fiction.

What I can't tell yet is if Jun is a serious transexual --- as in believes he was mis-issued his physical equipment.... or if he just likes to roleplay as a girl because he feels more comfortable with that social role.
Old 2006-10-18, 15:32   Link #114
Kisuke06
I see...

I read somewhere a while ago that in the original game there isn't a path for Jun, but there is one in the sequel Happiness! Re:Lucks. But since I haven't played I can't say for sure.
Old 2006-10-18, 20:20   Link #115
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Not in the original game, but in the fandisc sequel, Happiness! Re:Lucks (はぴねす!りらっくす)

In the sequel, there is a short scenario where Jun gets a hold of a magic wand from a mysterious wizard. From that point all logic goes flying out the window~ ヽ(ー`)ノ

95% of people who bought the game bought it for yours truly~ (; Д `)
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 20:59   Link #116
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Imagine creating a mahou shounen spin-off series based on that!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 21:38   Link #117
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine View Post
95% of people who bought the game bought it for yours truly~ (; Д `)
In the 5%...

No, seriously... Jun is an interesting supporting character and all, but I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the game/anime for Haruhi's story (and the other characters as well). Although it has a lot of cliches (most do...), it's still a sweet high school romance (with at least a somewhat interesting magical backplot as well - we'll see how it plays out in the anime). I guess all that to say that Jun's fine, but for me at least, he doesn't "steal" or "make" the show, he complements it. Then again, that's the 5%...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 21:46   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Add me to the 5% in that Jun provides some nice comedy relief and rounds out the series but the core of the show is indeed the central romance.
Old 2006-10-19, 00:05   Link #119
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Add me to the 5% in that Jun provides some nice comedy relief and rounds out the series but the core of the show is indeed the central romance.
I'm with you two on this. Jun adds to the show alot, but he's definetly not hte central theme for me. I'm in this for the romance elements completely.
Old 2006-10-19, 08:56   Link #120
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I hate to break the chain, but if it weren't for Jun, I'd have dropped this anime completely. I know it's too early to decide, but I don't *really* like Haruhi that much, and it seems that Happiness won't go down the harem path, and it's Haruhism the whole way through. I prefer stuff like Bokura Ga Ita for one on one romances, I usually go for the "shounen romances" for the 'multiple choice' aspect.

But what is it about Jun? Jun didn't have that many lines in the first episode, and he hasn't got a personality which is *that* unique in anime....but he rocks.

Tags
artland, bishoujo, comedy, drama, magic, romance, seinen, supernatural, windmill